Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lets talk about these rookies!

Even without getting to see Cushing, I think it's clear that this is a pretty amazing draft class. There was a lot to be excited about with these guys.

Connor Barwin - Man, the guy is a great athlete. Clearly, he will be a major asset for us on passing downs. LZ and Harris had some great things to say about him on their postgame podcast at chron.com/sports. He's quick, fast, and explosive and definitely has a nose for making plays- he got his hands on a ball and almost on a couple others. ON his sack, he gave a good swipe at the ball while rapping of Cassel as well. And, if you read his postgame quotes on houstontexans.com, he talks a lot about needing to play faster than he did yesterday and without so much hesitation.

Caldwell - at RG, I he always engaged his man and I didn't seem him get badly beaten once. Also, he was able to move some guys and also was pretty good at executing cuts. In the second quarter (maybe the 3rd) he cut his man to the ground which openned up the lane for a 15 yard run and when the RB (Moats, I think) was tackled, Caldwell was downfield looking to lay another block on a safety... pretty impressive that he cut a man down, got up, and got downfield in time to be part of the play.

Quin/ McCain - It was hard to see much from them on the TV. That being said, it's a good sign that they weren't being thrown on. McCain looked pretty good in run support, I thought.

Anthony Hill - Looked athletic and made some very good blocks in the run game. I noticed a couple plays where he was able to get accross the face of a defender and seal him (hook block?).

James Casey - WOW! steal! great catch and he was amazing on special teams.

It's early but this draft could compete with our '06 draft as the best in franchise history.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lets talk about these rookies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
It's early but this draft could compete with our '06 draft as the best in franchise history.
Can't disagree with that. I'm really impressed with Barwin and Casey. And we haven't even seen what Cushing can do yet. Hats off to Smith and Kubiac for a good draft.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good job Dale!

Caldwell played very well, but he did missed a few blocks!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So is it OK if we dispense with the Jason Babin comparisons now?

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Nope. Talk to me in a real game, when teams are showing real offenses and it means something. Lets not go head over heels for a preseason opener. Didn't everybody here love that jacoby jones after the preseason?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No kidding , he made Albert look silly on his sack .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As much as I like Connor from the start, it's too early to proclaim anything!
He still has a lot to work on.
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What are you talking about, they're both white guys and Michigan natives which practically makes them indenticle twins, right ?
Seriously, Babin II was impressive and I even saw enough versatility there to make him a full-time DE at some point in time. But for right now I'll settle for a solid complement to Mario in the nickle and he looked like he's on his way to filling that void on the team based upon the way he got that sack on the
Chiefs starting OLT.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe it's because it's been about 8 months since I've seen a Texan make a sack, I thought Barwin was downright glorious on that one play. Little shoulder dip and a head fake to go with it and Albert completely looked to the inside only to get his doors blown off. Guy looks pretty damn fast off the stunt too.

Caldwell looked good for a rookie, we'd be picking him apart more if this was his 7th or 8th preseason game.

Casey had a great 1 hander and solid ST play. I really want to see him and Dreesen compete for that 2nd receiving TE spot. Dreesen also had great play last night but this thread is for rooks.

I couldn't really put my finger on any of the DB's besides Pittman little end of the game INT.
Old 08-16-2009   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Even without getting to see Cushing, I think it's clear that this is a pretty amazing draft class. There was a lot to be excited about with these guys.

Connor Barwin - Man, the guy is a great athlete. Clearly, he will be a major asset for us on passing downs. LZ and Harris had some great things to say about him on their postgame podcast at chron.com/sports. He's quick, fast, and explosive and definitely has a nose for making plays- he got his hands on a ball and almost on a couple others. ON his sack, he gave a good swipe at the ball while rapping of Cassel as well. And, if you read his postgame quotes on houstontexans.com, he talks a lot about needing to play faster than he did yesterday and without so much hesitation.

Caldwell - at RG, I he always engaged his man and I didn't seem him get badly beaten once. Also, he was able to move some guys and also was pretty good at executing cuts. In the second quarter (maybe the 3rd) he cut his man to the ground which openned up the lane for a 15 yard run and when the RB (Moats, I think) was tackled, Caldwell was downfield looking to lay another block on a safety... pretty impressive that he cut a man down, got up, and got downfield in time to be part of the play.

Quin/ McCain - It was hard to see much from them on the TV. That being said, it's a good sign that they weren't being thrown on. McCain looked pretty good in run support, I thought.

Anthony Hill - Looked athletic and made some very good blocks in the run game. I noticed a couple plays where he was able to get accross the face of a defender and seal him (hook block?).

I was particularly jazzed about that Caldwell play you referred to -- he was all the way down field looking for more guys to hit on that run play, very awesome to see. I can't help but I think our corners looked great but they were covering pretty bad receivers and Dwayne Bowe got his when he was put in the game.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Kubiak
(on C Antoine Caldwell) "Inconsistent but, he shows flashes of what we drafted. He played guard and he played center so that makes it difficult on him. We just have to find some consistency in him and what he's doing. It's not a lack of effort; it's just a lot of things going on with him right now learning two spots."
Old 08-17-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Kubiak
(on C Antoine Caldwell) "Inconsistent but, he shows flashes of what we drafted. He played guard and he played center so that makes it difficult on him. We just have to find some consistency in him and what he's doing. It's not a lack of effort; it's just a lot of things going on with him right now learning two spots."
It is good that Caldwell is getting time at C/G but I wished he could get reps in games at guard rest of TC. I think Myers will be the starter at center and WHite did not show me a reason not to be the #2. As a rookie, Caldwell probably would do better concentrating on guard only and then both positions later.
Old 08-17-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It is good that Caldwell is getting time at C/G but I wished he could get reps in games at guard rest of TC. I think Myers will be the starter at center and WHite did not show me a reason not to be the #2. As a rookie, Caldwell probably would do better concentrating on guard only and then both positions later.
Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 08-17-2009   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I disagree, I would concentrate on OC. Why? It's the harder of the two positions mentally. So you accelerating his growth by forcing the tougher position on him. He can handle it, IMO.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I disagree, I would concentrate on OC. Why? It's the harder of the two positions mentally. So you accelerating his growth by forcing the tougher position on him. He can handle it, IMO.
The coaches seem to agree with you.

I don't see the need for fastracking though.
Unless he is slated to be the backup Center instead of White.

Perhaps, they want to see how fast he can adapt.
They might change course if they decide that it's too much for him.
Old 08-17-2009   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IDK. Mario, Ryans, OD, Winston, DA, and Spencer were a pretty good group of players. Sucks about Spencer. It'll take a prety good career by this group to out shine that draft. If you add K. Walter, sice we gave up a pick for him, very good.
Old 08-17-2009   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
IDK. Mario, Ryans, OD, Winston, DA, and Spencer were a pretty good group of players. Sucks about Spencer. It'll take a prety good career by this group to out shine that draft. If you add K. Walter, sice we gave up a pick for him, very good.
'06 WAS a VERY good draft. '09 appears to be a pretty good one, also. Isn't it nice to have a GM and HC on the same page? DC and CC are just a bad dream, fading to black.Her'es to picking 32 in 2010.
Old 08-17-2009   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see the Casey catch that everybody is talking about.

Oh well. Maybe he'll make some more plays in the next few games. I'll definitely be watching for it.
Old 08-17-2009   #19
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
As much as I like Connor from the start, it's too early to proclaim anything!
He still has a lot to work on.
Exactly. I remember when many on here proclaimed Jacoby Jones the next Gale Sayers during his rookie pre-season
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #20
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a big poop-eatin' grin on my face after Barwin's sack. Visions of sacks dancing in my head and all. Let's hope we see more of it.

Those who thing this draft could rival 06's draft...I hope we're arguing years from now which year was better. That's a debate I'd love to have on our hands.

FOOTBALL IS HERE, Y'ALL!!!

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read