Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Few observations.

1. Duane Brown looks amazing. I think he got caught leaning once and may have missed an assignment, but he was often dominating in the run game and very athletic getting to the 2nd and 3rd level. For those of you with a DVR, watch the TD run... he blocks the DE and then pancakes the LB. He was the reason for the TD.

2. Connor Barwin is certainly raw but his athleticism is evident. Clearly they plan to stunt him quite a bit. He is a ways away from an every down player but he'll certainly be a big help for our pass defense.

3. Okam certainly flashed a number of times, but did anyone else notice how often he simply stood up at the snap instead of firing into the line?

4. I'm trying not to get excited about Chris Brown. I need to see him stay healthy for awhile.

5. Kasey Studdard.............. umm........... I do appreciate his hustle and effoert. He's kind of like an old, stray mut. You kind of like him and appreciate him but you don't want him hanging around your house.

6. Caldwell looked like he belonged but he did appear to get beaten a couple times in pass protection.

7. Until Bowe starting picking on guys like Richardson, the LBs and DBs seemed more aggressive and in better position in coverage.

8. We are VERY deep at LB!

9. Jacoby Jones is in trouble! I think Darnell Jenkins is going to make the team.

10. I love Casey!!

11. A. Hill appears to be every bit the blocking he was advertised to be.

12. I'm interested in seeing Orlovsky throw in good weather. His passes wobbled quite a bit and I'm unsure if it was weather-related or simply his ball. I remember guys like Roger Staubach threw the ball with a lot of wobble... but his velocity seemed to be affected by it tonight.

13. This team is so much more talented and athletic than anything we've seen in Houston in 15 years!!

14. I'm concerned about our depth at tackle after Butler... Washburn worries me and I didn't see a lot from Adrian Jones.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Few observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
1. Duane Brown looks amazing. I think he got caught leaning once and may have missed an assignment, but he was often dominating in the run game and very athletic getting to the 2nd and 3rd level. For those of you with a DVR, watch the TD run... he blocks the DE and then pancakes the LB. He was the reason for the TD.

2. Connor Barwin is certainly raw but his athleticism is evident. Clearly they plan to stunt him quite a bit. He is a ways away from an every down player but he'll certainly be a big help for our pass defense.

3. Okam certainly flashed a number of times, but did anyone else notice how often he simply stood up at the snap instead of firing into the line?

4. I'm trying not to get excited about Chris Brown. I need to see him stay healthy for awhile.

5. Kasey Studdard.............. umm........... I do appreciate his hustle and effoert. He's kind of like an old, stray mut. You kind of like him and appreciate him but you don't want him hanging around your house.

6. Caldwell looked like he belonged but he did appear to get beaten a couple times in pass protection.

7. Until Bowe starting picking on guys like Richardson, the LBs and DBs seemed more aggressive and in better position in coverage.

8. We are VERY deep at LB!

9. Jacoby Jones is in trouble! I think Darnell Jenkins is going to make the team.

10. I love Casey!!

11. A. Hill appears to be every bit the blocking he was advertised to be.

12. I'm interested in seeing Orlovsky throw in good weather. His passes wobbled quite a bit and I'm unsure if it was weather-related or simply his ball. I remember guys like Roger Staubach threw the ball with a lot of wobble... but his velocity seemed to be affected by it tonight.

13. This team is so much more talented and athletic than anything we've seen in Houston in 15 years!!

14. I'm concerned about our depth at tackle after Butler... Washburn worries me and I didn't see a lot from Adrian Jones.

I wonder how Watkins is doing ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll throw a few in:

-The 1st team offense looked great after first 3 and out. Schaub was on fire, line got better as game went on.

-Defense felt different. They looked on their toes and excited. This one is hard to put into words but I could sense the "attacking" attitude even though they weren't blitzing much.

-Loved the dominance from the D-line early. They controlled the game vs. KC's first team offense. The stunting is a nice addition this year, they were more effective doing this, I can see Barwin dominating in this phase and can't wait til he gets experience. Barwin next to Okam on the d-line was clearly difficult for KC to block.

-I felt like if this was a normal game the Texans could've hung up a 40 spot and held KC under 13. Great to see us play well on the road but KC isn't very talented either.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I'll throw a few in:

-The 1st team offense looked great after first 3 and out. Schaub was on fire, line got better as game went on.
I think they did get a first down and on the second set of downs they were stopped.
Old 08-16-2009   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i don't like seeing mario ten yards past the qb ever other snap. if it's some kind of o-linemen tai chi, it needs to be stopped.
Old 08-16-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Kasey played a good game. Our defense looked good but you can run slants on them all day.

I didn't notice Okam standing up but there were alot of things he did well that outweighed that.

We drafted Barwin to rush the passer and if he is showing he can do that then we got something here.

Schaub needs to stay healthy. I will take 7-7 with the pressure he was getting.

Chris Brown showed how this team is going to be hard to stop. He gets yards quickly in open space.

I liked our young DBs. Brice Mccain didn't disappoint. He did well in run support which is what I've been concerned with because both Dunta and Reeves do well in run support.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #7
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I just watched the first two series in slow motion and noticed a few things:

~ Our O-Line isn't firing off the ball in run blocking. Its more of a stand up and catch the defensive person then try to move them.

~ Okoye isn't quick enough to blow by guards and got pushed around like a rag doll, too. This is bad, real bad.

~ Deljuan Robinson and Mario were the only ones to hold the point of attack.

~ DeMeco is the man but he isn't as effective when he has to jump over Texans player who get blocked backwards.

If this keeps up, stong running teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee are going to give us fits and we're looking at an 8-8 team again.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I just watched the first two series in slow motion and noticed a few things:

~ Our O-Line isn't firing off the ball in run blocking. Its more of a stand up and catch the defensive person then try to move them.

~ Okoye isn't quick enough to blow by guards and got pushed around like a rag doll, too. This is bad, real bad.

~ Deljuan Robinson and Mario were the only ones to hold the point of attack.

~ DeMeco is the man but he isn't as effective when he has to jump over Texans player who get blocked backwards.

If this keeps up, stong running teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee are going to give us fits and we're looking at an 8-8 team again.
That's how we often block in the ZBS, moving guys sideway. Except for the double team at the POA.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #9
ATXeans
noob

Default Assessment

I agree with most of the assessments, not bad for a first full contact game. I am interested in seeing how the running game develops more in game 2. Was impressed with the defensive down 7 for sure, secondary is what we need to watch on the d side
ATXeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like some good things to take away from this game. I am excited to see how the 1st team D does against the Saints first team offense. That will give us a better indication where the D is. In addition, I also want to see how our 1st team run D can handle the Vikings run offense. If we can handle Peterson and Taylor we should be ok for Tennessee, Jax, and Indy's run games.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXeans View Post
I agree with most of the assessments, not bad for a first full contact game. I am interested in seeing how the running game develops more in game 2. Was impressed with the defensive down 7 for sure, secondary is what we need to watch on the d side
It was very positive, but the Chiefs shouldn't be our measuring stick!
Old 08-16-2009   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
cant say i noticed that & i was half focusing on him. on one 3rd down play especially he fired off the ball really fast- way faster than mario even who was beside him. got close to cassell but it was a short drop & he got the ball out. might have been the demeco hit play
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
cant say i noticed that & i was half focusing on him. on one 3rd down play especially he fired off the ball really fast- way faster than mario even who was beside him. got close to cassell but it was a short drop & he got the ball out. might have been the demeco hit play
I'll have to go back and check them.
But, yeah I did notice Okoye doing some good thing, and some not so good.
Heck, I would worry more about Antonio at the moment.
He was stood up a bit often to worth all that money.
But then again, it's only one pre-season game with no meaning for most of the starters.
Old 08-16-2009   #14
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That's how we often block in the ZBS, moving guys sideway. Except for the double team at the POA.
Oh please, unless its a draw, you always fire off the ball and attack the defense on running plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
Okoye never got around any of the defensive players and always had an O-lineman between him and the QB. Unless he picks up his play soon, he'll be a bust.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh please, unless its a draw, you always fire off the ball and attack the defense on running plays.
We don't fire off as much as in drive blocking.

Now, guys who were supposed to release to the second level will fire off, but otherwise, we move more in a diagonal direction.

Sometimes, we would have a guy trying to walk the D-lineman sideway, so that another guy can continue to push the train.
Old 08-16-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The whole idea of zone blocking is not to allow penetration across the line (where we don't want them to penetrate).
Old 08-16-2009   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Two things that jumped out at me.
1. Once they get in the redzone instead of counting on a TD I count on a FG.
2. The secondary still scares me.
Old 08-16-2009   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

that PI call was BS
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
The whole idea of zone blocking is not to allow penetration across the line (where we don't want them to penetrate).
There are exception like short yardage and draw plays.
Otherwise, we wanted to create a wedge.
Like a V-shape form, trying to bunch as many bodies in that through as possible so that we have a running lane and a cut back lane.
On the outside, we can have a guy, let's say D.Brown, working to move the defender further out. That would keep him further away from the runner than pushing him backward.
Old 08-16-2009   #20
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

also, why can't i find that crazy catch anywhere..? you know, that diving one-hander.. and who made it?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read