Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2009   #1
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pre-Season Wins & Losses

Just putting this out there because I know it will come up. Especially if the Texans lose 2 or more pre-season games.

Pre-season win/loss records mean absolutely NOTHING!!! Pre-season football is not the same game as regular season football. Sure a win is nice and is always better than losing and you're still always trying to win, but that's not what the main purpose is of pre-season football. The main purpose of pre-season football is for coaches to look at players, work on certain situations, etc.

The Indianapolis Colts, who have made the playoffs every year of the Texans existance, and who have a Super Bowl trophy in that time, have won exactly 3 pre-season football games in the last 19 they've played over the last 4 years. That includes their 1st game this season. 3-16 in the pre-season for the Colts.

In 2008, 8 of the 12 playoff teams were 2-2 or worse in the pre-season.

Last year the Detroit Lions were 4-0 in pre-season!!!!! Seattle was 3-1 PS and went 4-12.

In 2007, 6 of 12 playoff teams were 2-2 or worse, including the SB champion Giants (1-3) and the 16-0 Patriots (2-2).

The Jets and Falcons both went 3-1 in PS and both went 4-12 in the regular season.

In 2006, TEN of the 12 playoff teams were 2-2 or worse, including the 1-3 champion Colts. Oakland was 4-1 in PS and went 2-14. The Texans were 3-1 that year and went 6-10.

In 2005, of the 10 teams that were 3-1 or better in the pre-season, only 2 of those teams made the playoffs.

And again in '04, 9 teams were 3-1 or better in PS with only 2 making the playoffs.

So, IF the Texans lose a PS game or 2, or even if they win them all, remember that it really doesn't mean a whole lot what the PS record is. It's not the same game. They don't play it the same way.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pre-Season Wins & Losses

The win/loss record might not matter but the games certainly do. I could deal with 1 or maybe 2 less but pre-season games are important to make sure you're getting everybody on the same page in a real situation that won't actually count against you if there are bumps along the way.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #3
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want the starters to be sharp and effeciant when they are in the game. I want the starters to get their reps and get off the field healthy.Pre season games are for the backup players to get game experience just in case they are called on during the regular season. If we see improvement week to week thats all you can really ask for. The results aren't important.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

we're good in the PS usually so it shouldnt matter
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #5
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Pre-Season Wins & Losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I want the starters to be sharp and effeciant when they are in the game. I want the starters to get their reps and get off the field healthy.Pre season games are for the backup players to get game experience just in case they are called on during the regular season. If we see improvement week to week thats all you can really ask for. The results aren't important.
I agree with you, but I also want the rookies to progress from pre-season to the regular season. Lundy had a pretty good pre-season a few years ago, but had problems when the games counted.
Old 08-15-2009   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i say if we win all the PS games we lose because we played to hard

i say lets just lose PS game 2 win 3 and 4 to get that swagga and off to wk 1
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I could care less if we went 0-4 in the PS. However, when our 1st teamers are in there, even though it's vanilla offense, I expect to dominate crap teams like KC! There is no excuse for having 3 and outs against a team like that no matter when you play and we should all expect more if we think we are going somewhere this year.....which I do!!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2009   #8
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we where shellshocked that we where playing in the rain we rarely play in the rain LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Just putting this out there because I know it will come up. Especially if the Texans lose 2 or more pre-season games.

Pre-season win/loss records mean absolutely NOTHING!!!

Shwew...... thanks for clearing that up... I was starting to get excited.

Thankyou.

But I've got one question.

What if we play Tampa Bay?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read