Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The only Shanahan on the sidelines

Quote:
HOUSTON - He's the only member of the family working right now, which isn't saying much in this economy. It's just that his family's name is Shanahan. And the work he does could make NFL history.

Kyle Shanahan is entering his second season as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans. He's taken over play-calling duties and hopes to help lead the team to its first-ever playoff appearance.

"He [Texans head coach Gary Kubiak] knows what I'm trying to do and he's letting me go for it a little bit more," Shanahan said. "This is the first time in my coaching career I've had the same job more than two years in a row. I feel a lot more comfortable, and the guys know what to expect."

Shanahan started learning the ropes in 2004, when Jon Gruden hired him as an assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Two years later, he went to work for the Texans as the wide receivers coach. Now, at 29, he's the youngest coordinator in the league.

"I think I can be a little more aggressive because I can be a little more impulsive, you know, being a little younger and not having that wisdom," Shanahan said.

"He's always been exceptional," Kubiak said. "He's young, but he can coach older players. He can coach anybody, so he's very comfortable from that standpoint, very driven."

Of course, he should be. Shanahan has football in his blood. He's the only son of former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

"My dad and I are close," Shanahan said. "I made it a point not to go with him early on, you know, I wanted to try to pay my dues and earn some respect."

Now considered one of the rising stars in the NFL coaching ranks, Shanahan is focused most on putting the Texans in the playoffs for the first time. But he's also thinking about the game day experience a lot of football fans in Denver will be having this season - the one minus his father.
http://www.9news.com/sports/article....1232&catid=345
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The only Shanahan on the sidelines

Good article, thanks for posting. I liked it where little Shanny joked he might hire his dad as his assistant next year. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd bet he's a head coach next season. He's got "it". I'm kinda irked that he's getting noticed by other newspapers selfishly, I want him on our staff for a while. Eyes off our cornbread Colorado!
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I'd bet he's a head coach next season. He's got "it". I'm kinda irked that he's getting noticed by other newspapers selfishly, I want him on our staff for a while. Eyes off our cornbread Colorado!
I don't think there is much chance of that at all but if it were to somehow happen it would mean that the Texans had a fantastic season so at least it wouldnt be a total loss. I think he is going to stick around a little while and maybe when he is 32-34 years old he decides to go the HC route.
Old 08-13-2009   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kind of doubt that one, but the next year...... could happen.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a copy-cat league and 2 first-year head coaches had huge success last year (BAL & ATL)... owners are floating towards youthful replacements (DEN & TB)... has the bloodlines... just sayin it wouldn't surprise me... I think Kyle would interview very well and could dazzle an owner...
Old 08-13-2009   #7
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its a copy-cat league and 2 first-year head coaches had huge success last year (BAL & ATL)... owners are floating towards youthful replacements (DEN & TB)... has the bloodlines... just sayin it wouldn't surprise me... I think Kyle would interview very well and could dazzle an owner...
Yeah, but look at who those guys are:

1. John Harbaugh was a Dbacks coach for the Eagles and previously Special teams coach. He worked under Jim Johnson and the Eagle D's have been known for a long time as great. The Eagles have been in the playoffs many times while Harbaugh was there.

2. Mike Smtih was part of the great Raven tradition. He also was a D-Coordinator for the Jags when they had a solid Defense and made trips to the post season.

So while these guys were first year coaches they came from established systems. The Ravens, Eagles, Steelers (if you want to throw Wisenhunt), all have proven track records. The Texans do not. So I would be very surprised if Shanny wasnt here for 2-3 years. It takes time to become an established team. There are some in the media who still think of the Texans as the lions of the AFC.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2009   #8
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

well if we dont have a winning season this year could it be bye bye kubes and promotion shanny?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Yeah, but look at who those guys are:

1. John Harbaugh was a Dbacks coach for the Eagles and previously Special teams coach. He worked under Jim Johnson and the Eagle D's have been known for a long time as great. The Eagles have been in the playoffs many times while Harbaugh was there.

2. Mike Smtih was part of the great Raven tradition. He also was a D-Coordinator for the Jags when they had a solid Defense and made trips to the post season.

So while these guys were first year coaches they came from established systems. The Ravens, Eagles, Steelers (if you want to throw Wisenhunt), all have proven track records. The Texans do not. So I would be very surprised if Shanny wasnt here for 2-3 years. It takes time to become an established team. There are some in the media who still think of the Texans as the lions of the AFC.
No way, this doesn't matter. Its a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. If we post another top 3 offense again an owner will look and see back to back years of that and run with it. Jason Garrett didn't even command a top 10 offense last year and he got interviews with the Rams and Lions. Todd Hailey got the Chiefs job after OC'ing for a team loaded with weapons. Meanwhile guys like Gruden and Shannahan Senior got canned and they've won super bowls.

I hope you guys are right but I think Kyle will get atleast an interview somewhere if we have an offensive year like last year, and I'm pretty sure it'll be even better with added weapons and a healthier Schaub. And if Kyle gets an interview he will impress an owner because he has that "it" factor and he's obviously a bright football mind.
Old 08-13-2009   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

How many games has the guy called? Let him get a season under his belt and see how he does before we start mourning the loss of him. I think he could be great, but then again, I also thought all DC needed was an OL. OOPS!!!
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

On second thought, here is what will probably happen: Our offense is going to have a great season and Shanahan is going to get a lot of the credit. In order to prevent losing him we will surprise him with a franchise tag. He will skip training camp in protest tell anyone who will listen that it is just business.
Old 08-13-2009   #12
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I don't think there is much chance of that at all but if it were to somehow happen it would mean that the Texans had a fantastic season so at least it wouldnt be a total loss. I think he is going to stick around a little while and maybe when he is 32-34 years old he decides to go the HC route.
I hope you're right about him staying a few more years. I don't like losing a bright up-and-coming OC after 1 or 2 years. It's tough to maintain any continuity with a revolving door situation. The only ways I see him leaving next year are if we go deep into the playoffs and/or win the SB, or if his Dad gets a HC job and asks him to be the OC. I think the 1st scenario is more likely than the 2nd because I think "little Shanny" wants to be his own man and probably knows it would be tough working under his Dad. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I hope you're right about him staying a few more years. I don't like losing a bright up-and-coming OC after 1 or 2 years. It's tough to maintain any continuity with a revolving door situation. The only ways I see him leaving next year are if we go deep into the playoffs and/or win the SB, or if his Dad gets a HC job and asks him to be the OC. I think the 1st scenario is more likely than the 2nd because I think "little Shanny" wants to be his own man and probably knows it would be tough working under his Dad. JMHO!
With Kyle having the Shannahan name, I wonder how much loyalty he'd show to Kubes for giving him his "big chance". In all truth, he needs a few years to become seasoned and get a firm grap of what it takes to be a coordinator in this league, much less a an head coach.
I also think a better question would be if he's gonna bolt next year when his daddy has a HC job and needs to put together a staff.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With Kyle having the Shannahan name, I wonder how much loyalty he'd show to Kubes for giving him his "big chance". In all truth, he needs a few years to become seasoned and get a firm grap of what it takes to be a coordinator in this league, much less a an head coach.
I also think a better question would be if he's gonna bolt next year when his daddy has a HC job and needs to put together a staff.
Why would Kyle take a job OC'ing under his dad? Thats a lateral move. His next job will be a head coaching job. How soon it happens is the question.
Old 08-13-2009   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jason Garrett didn't even command a top 10 offense last year and he got interviews with the Rams and Lions.
And he has been considered Parcell's golden boy for how long before last season?

awtysst is correct these young coaches come from winning programs with a history of producing coaches.

Shanahan is a few years away from being considered a HC IMO, now I can see another team trying to steal him as their OC, perhaps a Cowboys or Washington team that might have just signed his dad to be the HC.

And if I am the Texans I fight that move for a year or two.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
How many games has the guy called? Let him get a season under his belt and see how he does before we start mourning the loss of him. I think he could be great, but then again, I also thought all DC needed was an OL. OOPS!!!
You were correct for his first 249 sacks.
Old 08-14-2009   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
well if we dont have a winning season this year could it be bye bye kubes and promotion shanny?

I say we try to get all 3 ...... under one roof
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I would imagine that he'll stay a coordinator for around 10 years, kinda like Kubiak. He's in no rush, better get a bunch of experience, possibly with different teams/philosophies.

Anyway, he'll be with us for a few more years
Old 08-14-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

hey wasn't his dad visiting Texans camp? Didn't I read that somewhere? What ever came of that? Seems like that would have been news. Has it just not happened yet?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #20
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he isn't coming here because he knows exactly what it's like?
cland is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read