Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Richard Justice Spot-on with his Indictment of NFL Training-Camp

The Texans have now lost three starters in less than two weeks of this camp. At this rate, they'll lose about half their starting lineup by the opening game. There just has to be a better way.
About this time last year, one of the Texans said, ''Do you find it peculiar that we're more prepared to play a game on the first day of camp than the last?''
Once upon a time, the Texans went to Seattle and got crushed. Afterwards, one of their running backs, Dominick Davis, admitted he'd been cramping up before the game.

That was a week when coaches worked the players extra hard because they were upset with their practice habits and wanted to teach them a lesson. Instead, the entire organization got embarrassed.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...out_dunta.html
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Justice Spot-on with his Indictment of NFL Training-Camp

To me TC is more for draft picks, UDFA, any new guys like Grossman for example to pick up scheme & impress coaches. A pickup like A. Smith this season or Myers last year should only need abut 10 days to be ready. Most players today stay in shape all year & those that do not suffer if not ready to go. I would I think prefer no OTAs (I am not certain on this) and a much reduced TC with one sparring match against another team at end of 10 day TC and then at most two pre-season games. I do not want regular season expanded. Way too many injuries prior to game one.
Old 08-13-2009   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't say that the Texans training camp is much more physical than anyone else's. The heat is a problem, but short of moving camp, there's not much you can do about that. Moving camp has some of its own issues--for example, the facilities in Houston are better than what they would have at remote camp locations.

They do more of a walkthrough sort of practice in the afternoon, and they often cut morning practices short. They don't work out in full pads that often. They sit players who have injury issues, and don't let some players play on the turf indoors. They also have been doing a ton of scheduled water breaks.

I'm not sure what they should be doing that is much different. How are you supposed to prepare for an NFL season, tickle fights?
Old 08-13-2009   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I can't say that the Texans training camp is much more physical than anyone else's. The heat is a problem, but short of moving camp, there's not much you can do about that. Moving camp has some of its own issues--for example, the facilities in Houston are better than what they would have at remote camp locations.

They do more of a walkthrough sort of practice in the afternoon, and they often cut morning practices short. They don't work out in full pads that often. They sit players who have injury issues, and don't let some players play on the turf indoors. They also have been doing a ton of scheduled water breaks.

I'm not sure what they should be doing that is much different. How are you supposed to prepare for an NFL season, tickle fights?
Sounds like something fun with the cheer leaders
Old 08-13-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. I actually think our TC is one of the least physical from what I've noticed by watching NFLTA. I think we've had 2-3 practices in full pads? That's pretty lenient if you ask me.

80 grown men having tickle fights would likely scar my retina's for life.
Old 08-13-2009   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

The day RJ is spot-on with much of anything, I'm going to check and see if h*** has frozen over.

NFL Training camp is needed less these days than old, due to more guys staying in shape throughout the year, but...

If your players (especially draft picks) don't have the new system down in time, they will fall by the DROVES come real game time vs. a prepared opponent. there isn't any substitute for real action, but the reps are necessary to ensure that all players are on the same page.

Giving DDs example of "cramping" is anecdotal - it happened due to players not being hydrated enough / stretching before the game...nothing more. That points back to players either not following directions, or the training staff not prepping them appropriately.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

id say kubiak runs a pretty modern camp- not alot of hiting with more emphasis on teaching. no two a days really. i dont really see what the problem is. injuries happen all the time no matter whether its OTA's, TC or games
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2009   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How much preparation is needed for veterans after a couple seasons? I think 10 days is enough. Seems to be more a timing thing.
Old 08-13-2009   #9
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Sounds like something fun with the cheer leaders

I'm in, is there an age limit on participants. I'll will sign a waiver if necessary.

Old 08-13-2009   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A slightly dissenting viewpoint from Andy Reid (Who I consider to be a top-5 NFL coach):

Quote:
Reid, who is known as "Big Red" around the Eagles' organization, refuses to apologize for maintaining his rigid, physical camp approach, regardless of season-ending injuries to linebacker Stewart Bradley and rookie tight end Cornelius Ingram.

"I believe blocking and tackling is still involved in this game and until they change it, you gotta practice a certain way [in training camp]," said Reid. "We practice blocking and tackling, so we have live [hitting] team periods and if you do it the right way, don't take cheap shots on each other, it works. We've had injuries this year, but the crazy part about it is, they weren't in live periods. You get some bumps and bruises but normally they don't get hurt because they're going after it pretty good."
LINK
Old 08-13-2009   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing said USC's camps were more physical than the Texans .
Old 08-13-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As an organization, the Texans just have to keep looking for ways to improve every things little by little.

It's a long season, we need to protect our assets, but we also want to get them ready for deployment.

How about moving the morning practice up half an hour/an hour, evaluate the pros and cons, and gauge the players' feedbacks.

Heck, it's summer.
If they can start at 5:30 A.M.; in the long run, it would probably be better for the players.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Cushing said USC's camps were more physical than the Texans .
And he also said Carroll had the luxury of having more players in TC than
Kubiak does.
Old 08-13-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
And he also said Carroll had the luxury of having more players in TC than
Kubiak does.
Which means Kubiak is protecting his players .
Old 08-13-2009   #15
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

It just goes to show that Dick has never slapped on a pair of shoulder pads in his life. You have to hit in training camp to get your body accustomed to it again. It doesn't matter how long you've been playing football, you're swore as hell after the first day or two of hitting. It also helps you get into football shape. You may feel like you're in shape already, but it's a different story when you slap all that gear on.
Old 08-13-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Which means Kubiak is protecting his players .
Not necessarily, it could mean a lot of things so we're left to draw our own conclusions as you've done. One would be that Kubiak wants to devote more time to coaching, to teaching the palyers which is something else that Cushing mentioned when he said the NFL was more mental.
Old 08-13-2009   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the point of the article? I missed it....

Last year Rashard Mendenhall opened his mouth and Ray Lewis shut it for him and then handed him his collar bone back. So clearly the Steelers were not prepared like they should be because someone got hurt....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What is the point of the article? I missed it....

Last year Rashard Mendenhall opened his mouth and Ray Lewis shut it for him and then handed him his collar bone back. So clearly the Steelers were not prepared like they should be because someone got hurt....
Does Dick ever have a point in any of his articles? I dunno because I haven't read his crap in a very long time.
Old 08-13-2009   #19
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries happen, wtf
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Without having read the article I can safely take an educated guess that dickie does not have any quotes or names to back up his premise. This is another article without any facts and it is his opinion and we all know he loves him some RJ opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read