Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-11-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Lombardi, Bowen bet on Texans

Michael Lombardi, NFL network analyst (and current hater of the 09 version of the Texans), and former NFL safety/analyst Matt Bowen have waged a little bet on our Texans:

Quote:
In the effort of being fair, I will wager Mr. Bowen if he accepts an all paid trip to his favorite WWE eventóif the Texans make the playoffs. However, if we donít see the Texans playing football in the postseason, then Mr. Bowen has to pay for me to attend one of Bruce Springsteenís shows this fall in the city of my choice. Hotel and Bud Heavies are all included in the bet...are you game Mr. Bowen?
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...nfl-notes.html

The bet stems from Bowen slighting the Titans, saying:

Quote:
Sorry, Titans fans, but as much as I pull for Kerry Collins over Vince Young, I donít see him getting it done in 2009. This season, Tennessee wonít get past the Houston Texans (Iím already on that bandwagon), who Iím going to pick to win the division in August.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...f-preview.html

These words prompted the currently unemployed former Raiders exec to write a shortsighted grudge piece because he feels angst towards a Texans team whose bandwagon he was on last year only to be let down.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ns-debate.html

While the piece is decorated with many flaws, the most glaring would be his analysis of Schaub and our apparent "leadership" issues

Quote:
When healthy and in the right offense (which is clearly the case in Houston), Schaub is a very fine football player. However, he lacks command and a presence thatís essential in the starting quarterback. He doesnít have an ability to make the team believe heís ďthe manĒ and will hold the other players accountable. When a team doesnít get its leadership and, to a large degree, its personality from the starting quarterback, it must have great leaders in other areas of the team to compensate. Unfortunately for the Texans, I donít see leadership or inspiration coming from anyone on the offensive or defensive side of the ball, and this is why they havenít been a good road team the past two years.
Perhaps Lombardi needs to check out Jeff Chadiha's recent ESPN article on Schaub. Or he could just ask anyone on the roster for their thoughts on Schaub, you'd be hardpressed to hear any of them NOT mention "leader".

I've heard a lot of Lombardi's Texans bashing and it all began when he didn't like our draft. Lombardi freely admits in his piece that he's disregarded all additions/subtractions in his analysis of the team and remains stubborn in his thinking that this team is "as soft as their schedule."

My advice to Lombardi: suck it up dude, yeah we let you down last year, and yeah you're being immature just because you didn't like our draft you hold it against the entire team but don't put things on our quarterback that aren't true. Schaub has the ear of every guy in that locker room and they'll live and die with him.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lombardi, Bowen bet on Texans

WWE or Springsteen, according to which person wins?

Gag.
Old 08-11-2009   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Gag.
Yeah, not much of a wager.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #4
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi cant get Schaub's name right, so I dont put too much into what he has to say.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Lombardi cant get Schaub's name right, so I dont put too much into what he has to say.
You mean Matt Schwwaub? Lol.

And when I said "currently unemployed former Raiders exec" I meant unemployed by an NFL front office, which is what he truly desires to be again. Obviously he's employed by someone, being allowed to diarrhea all over his keyboard and submit articles like that.
Old 08-11-2009   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Gag.
I think the WWE is more punishment for Lombardi than a win for Bowen. As a fan of both wrestling and Springsteen, I took my wife to Bruce last year and she as a non-Boss fan was looking for tickets for his tour this year. I won't even ask her to go to wrestling.
Old 08-11-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh....more talking heads.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2009   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Another thing that burned me up about Lombardi's article were his cheap stabs at Orlovsky, and his hilariously fresh take on his name (Dan "Wrongway" Orlovsky). Does this retard know what upside is? He acts like the Texans signed him because we think he's this great veteran mentor whose accomplished so much in the NFL. WRONG. The coaching staff saw tools that led them to believe there's more to this guy than what his production was at Detroit. Fine, Lombardi, maybe you disagree and don't see the same thing but SAY THIS and don't just write it off with some ignorant old quip over one bad play in the guy's career.
Old 08-11-2009   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I think the WWE is more punishment for Lombardi than a win for Bowen. As a fan of both wrestling and Springsteen, I took my wife to Bruce last year and she as a non-Boss fan was looking for tickets for his tour this year. I won't even ask her to go to wrestling.
Side note: How in the WORLD can Bruce do that move where he bends backwards and then pops up, all without putting a hand down while doing it?

Dude is flexible.
Old 08-12-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

don't know much about Bowen but he's gotta be cool right? pulling for the Texans

Lombardi has great passion & could be the next Mel Kipper. His strength is the draft & he should probably stick to it, since in this case he is trying ever so hard to justify his knock on this past draft.

But in the end isn't this just another example what makes the NFL America's game of choice? Even better in this case the Texans can disprove a quality critic, make the playoffs & elcetrify the city of Houston, hopefully reviving buisness making all our lives better pre IKE.........
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #11
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone post the link to the Jeff Chadiha (sp.) Schaub article?
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #12
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

whoops! I saw the thread. NM
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure we're a playoff team or not, yet. I just want to point out Lombardi's comments on Schaub. A couple of his negatives on Schaub are completely different from what we've heard (and seen) since Schaub has been here. Command and leadership

Quote:
When healthy and in the right offense (which is clearly the case in Houston), Schaub is a very fine football player. However, he lacks command and a presence thatís essential in the starting quarterback. He doesnít have an ability to make the team believe heís ďthe manĒ and will hold the other players accountable. When a team doesnít get its leadership and, to a large degree, its personality from the starting quarterback, it must have great leaders in other areas of the team to compensate. Unfortunately for the Texans, I donít see leadership or inspiration coming from anyone on the offensive or defensive side of the ball, and this is why they havenít been a good road team the past two years.
Old 08-12-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his judgement on Schaub's leadership just proves that he doesn't watch the games. Let someone screw up and Schaub gives them an earful.

Lombardi also fails to mention that perhaps there are some games where Schaub doesn't have to do too much because a guy named Steve Slaton is commanding the offense all day.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

How 'bout if Lombardi loses he has to stop talking out of the side of his mouth?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I'm not sure we're a playoff team or not, yet. I just want to point out Lombardi's comments on Schaub. A couple of his negatives on Schaub are completely different from what we've heard (and seen) since Schaub has been here. Command and leadership
When I read that I thought "ok now he just doesn't know what he's talking about" if you're going to attack Schaub its his health, anything else and you're gonna look like a fool.
Old 08-12-2009   #17
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait a minute...

A former RAIDERS personnel guy doesn't like the TEXANS' draft?

Have you SEEN the Raiders lately?

This is good news!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read