Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-10-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chiefs vs Texans - Preseason Game 1

Quote:
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (0-0)
VS.
HOUSTON TEXANS (0-0)

PRESEASON GAME #1
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15, 2008 – 7:00 pm (central)
ARROWHEAD STADIUM – KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

THE MATCH-UP

The Todd Haley era officially gets underway on Saturday when the Chiefs host the Houston Texans in the preseason opener for both clubs at Arrowhead Stadium (8/15). The second-youngest head coach in Chiefs history, Haley was named to that post on February 6th after serving a two-year stint as the offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals.

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli is also entering his initial campaign in Kansas City, and has made several key off-season additions to the Chiefs roster. QB Matt Cassel and LB Mike Vrabel were acquired from New England in exchange for a second-round draft choice. Notable free agent acquisitions for the Chiefs have included LBs Zach Thomas and Monty Beisel, WRs Bobby Engram and Amani Toomer, as well as G Mike Goff, S Mike Brown and C Eric Ghiaciuc. All of the club’s 2009 draft picks are in camp.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey returns for his second season in that role. KC’s offense features two-time Pro Bowl RB Larry Johnson (D1-03), who needs 433 more yards to become the all-time leading rusher in franchise history. WR Dwayne Bowe (D1-07) posted 86 catches for 1,022 yards with seven TDs in 2008. Four-time Pro Bowl G Brian Waters returns on the offensive line along with C Rudy Niswanger, as well as Ts Damion McIntosh and Branden Albert (D1b-08).

The Chiefs are making the transition to a 3-4 base defensive alignment in 2009 under new offensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. LB Derrick Johnson (D1-05) has moved to an ILB post, while LB Tamba Hali (D1-06) makes the transition from defensive end. The club’s defensive front also includes former LSU DEs Glenn Dorsey (D1a-08) and Tyson Jackson (D1-09), as well as DEs Alfonso Boone and Alex Magee (D3-09) and DTs Ron Edwards and Tank Tyler (D3-07).

Steve Hoffman coaches Kansas City’s special teams. That unit includes P Dustin Colquitt (D3-05) and K Ryan Succop (D7c-09). The Chiefs break camp next week and travel to Minnesota (8/21) for preseason Game Two.
more on the link
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08...season_game_1/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chiefs vs Texans - Preseason Game 1

Quote:
The Texans registered their initial regular season win against the Chiefs with a shocking 24-21 victory at Arrowhead (9/26/04) as CB Marcus Colemanís 103-yard INT return TD dramatically turned the tide in the Texans favor. Kansas City dominated the inaugural regular season meeting between the two clubs as the Chiefs registered a 42-14 win at Reliant Stadium (9/21/03). Houston native WR Dante Hall scored on a 73-yard punt return TD in that contest, while RB Priest Holmes registered a pair of scoring jaunts.
I forgot about that.. that went from "oh no" to "Holly shi*t YEAH"
Old 08-10-2009   #3
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Met Priest Holmes through my cousin, b/c they were good friends in high school, he is a cool dude
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #4
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

iam pretty sure we are not going to show or unleash what our D can do maybe just give a little sample

other then that iam sure we will see who our #2 QB should be
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting stuff. KC goes to a 3-4 and moves Derrick Johnson inside. Who here remembers all the "We can't take him because we run a 3-4" talk? If he does well in this then it's going to be one more reason why it's hard to look at Travis Johnson's fat worthless slug ass.

When I think about the first round draft picks of the C&C regime I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin
Travis Johnson

Now Andre Johnson probably would have been Charles Roger if Detroit hadn't been managed by a drooling ***** named Matt Millen so we're just dumb-lucky that C&C lucked into going 1-4 on those. It could easily have been 0-5.

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.
Old 08-10-2009   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

we could have had both julius Peppers and Ben rothensbeger ............
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The reality is that the team has floundered, not because of 1st round decisions, but because of the fiasco that Casserly made out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds... along with FA.

Charles Hill
Tony Hollings
Vernon Morency
Phillip Buchanon (traded for with a 2nd and a 3rd)
Babin (traded away a 2nd, 3rd and 4th)
Seth Wand
Dave Ragone

uggh. I'm going to go vomit now!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2009   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Interesting stuff. KC goes to a 3-4 and moves Derrick Johnson inside. Who here remembers all the "We can't take him because we run a 3-4" talk? If he does well in this then it's going to be one more reason why it's hard to look at Travis Johnson's fat worthless slug ass.

When I think about the first round draft picks of the C&C regime I can't help but throw up a little in my mouth.

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

Now Andre Johnson probably would have been Charles Roger if Detroit hadn't been managed by a drooling ***** named Matt Millen so we're just dumb-lucky that C&C lucked into going 1-4 on those. It could easily have been 0-5.

And yes, I'm lumping Dunta in on the "Well, that didn't go as planned" side of things. He's been here since 2004 and produced exactly one decent season, his first. Past that he's been a highly motivated and hard hitting but kind of ordinary CB.
I wouldn't lump Dunta into that group....the guy is atleast a legit starter and it's not like he's a top 3 pick. If we would've just been able to get "legit starters" with all our picks, we would not have been as bad as we were.

David Carr
Travis Johnson
and
Jason Babin aren't even starters. Dunta would actually start on alot of other teams in this league........when healthy.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #9
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
iam pretty sure we are not going to show or unleash what our D can do maybe just give a little sample
Please don't say that, I have nightmares of "vanilla" defenses in the preseason that lead to "vanilla" defenses in the regular season.
Old 08-11-2009   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I wouldn't lump Dunta into that group....the guy is atleast a legit starter and it's not like he's a top 3 pick.
Even with the P-Burnt screw-up, Casserly got us some good DBs led by Robinson & Glenn in the Xpansion Draft. And this whole thing with Robinson went south and has gotten semi-ugly only because of the devastaing injury he suffered in '07. I suspect everything would have been different and Robinson would remain one of the most popular players in town, signed a new contract by now, etc. if not for that very unfortuante injury.
Then there's the Draft of '06 masterminded by Casserly which is without doubt head-and-shouders above any Draft anybody has had here to date. Casserly has left his mark here, some of it bad, but remember some of his smart moves - AJ, Robinson, Mario, DeMeco, OD, Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, et al.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #11
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 49199 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The reality is that the team has floundered, not because of 1st round decisions, but because of the fiasco that Casserly made out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds... along with FA.

Charles Hill
Tony Hollings
Vernon Morency
Phillip Buchanon (traded for with a 2nd and a 3rd)
Babin (traded away a 2nd, 3rd and 4th)
Seth Wand
Dave Ragone

uggh. I'm going to go vomit now!
Would you guys stop it please? Now everyone on the board is puking.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Even with the P-Burnt screw-up, Casserly got us some good DBs led by Robinson & Glenn in the Xpansion Draft. And this whole thing with Robinson went south and has gotten semi-ugly only because of the devastaing injury he suffered in '07. I suspect everything would have been different and Robinson would remain one of the most popular players in town, signed a new contract by now, etc. if not for that very unfortuante injury.
Then there's the Draft of '06 masterminded by Casserly which is without doubt head-and-shouders above any Draft anybody has had here to date. Casserly has left his mark here, some of it bad, but remember some of his smart moves - AJ, Robinson, Mario, DeMeco, OD, Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, et al.
Which is why I always refer to the "C&C regime". For whatever reason the two of them together were a train wreck. I don't think Capers has the sand to be a head coach in the NFL and I personally don't think much of Casserly the GM but he admittedly had a moment here and there. Together though they were actually less than the sum of their parts.

What I really want to know though is will the Chiefs be sporting their Dallas Texans gear? I want to see the Texans play the Texans.
Old 08-11-2009   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

well DJ has shown to be a very ordinary 4-3 player.. which is what he wouldve been in in houston (after his rookie season)...
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
well DJ has shown to be a very ordinary 4-3 player.. which is what he wouldve been in in houston (after his rookie season)...
I'll take the ordinary LB over the "usually outplayed by street free-agent" DL every day.
Old 08-11-2009   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll take the ordinary LB over the "usually outplayed by street free-agent" DL every day.
would you take an ordinary LB over a below average DT & a good RT though?

that draft pretty much sucked for everybody anyway so its hardly a standout bad pick by us when you compare it to our other infamous picks
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

True but you've got to take into account that I've had four years to nurture my intense dislike for TJ so I'm going to hang on to that for as long as possible regardless of whether it makes sense or not. I understand that we got more than just TJ for trading down but it's depressing watching him get out-motored by damn near every free agent we bring in at his postion.
Old 08-11-2009   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Its funny how everyone references DJ when we talk about TJ but using hindsight we clearly screwed up by passing on Saints LT Jamaal Brown. Could've used the 3rd to take RT Erik Winston and wouldn't have needed Spencer.

But of course Ron Dayne would've probably ruined Brown's career as well so not so much would've really changed

Whoever said it earlier was spot on, its not the 1st round picks that were so devastating to our franchise in the early years. It was the fact that we were so terrible with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the first two years when we were given 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We should've been able to snare some really solid players but when we needed to draft solid starters in those rounds we just couldn't make it happen. Thankfully we've been making up for it though
Old 08-11-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

David Carr
Andre Johnson
Travis Johnson

Travis Johnson "does what they tell him to do." At least that is the comment I got recently on another thread, when I posted about TJ. I am not sure what it is he does so well. Don't expect to see much from starters but I am focusing on new guys and back ups at this point anyway.
Old 08-13-2009   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Head coach Todd Haley and quarterback Matt Cassel will make their respective debuts as members of the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday night, when the team opens its preseason schedule against the Houston Texans in the initial warm-up for both teams.

Haley, who presided over one of the league's most prolific offenses with the Arizona Cardinals over the past two years, is being counted on to help the Chiefs overcome a stretch of 6-26 football over the past two years.

One of the lynch pins of his recovery effort will be Cassel, who was obtained from the New England Patriots in a February trade that also yielded Kansas City outside linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Cassel, who hadn't started a game since high school, stepped in for an injured Tom Brady last season and went 10-5, throwing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions for a team that narrowly missed the playoffs.

Among Cassel's targets on Saturday will be another newcomer, ex-Giant Amani Toomer, who was acquired via free agency during the early stages of training camp.

The defense, coordinated by ex-Cardinals hand Clancy Pendergast, will include newcomers such as Vrabel, former Pro Bowl inside linebacker Zach Thomas, and rookie defensive end and No. 3 overall draft choice Tyson Jackson (LSU).

The Texans, meanwhile, will enter Saturday's contest seeking to take their first tentative steps toward the franchise's first-ever postseason berth.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fo...y/1184396.html
Old 08-13-2009   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't wait for this, just can't wait. I know most of the game will be for 2nd string and wanna be's trying to catch on, but that's what makes pre-season games so much fun.

If they shorten the preseason, I hope they only do it by one game. They can then make it a 17 game schedule for the regular season, and give all the teams two byes. Makes it's a longer season, NFL makes more money, and we get to watch football over a longer period of time. I think the two byes a season would do all the teams a lot of good.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read