Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-10-2009   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fox Sports article "Why Young, Bush and Leinart went bust"

This article didn't really address the "why" however it might be an interesting read for Texans fans since we were supposed to pick one of these guys.

Actually the comments were more entertaining than the article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...nart-went-bust
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #2
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fox Sports article "Why Young, Bush and Leinart went bust"

VY is a bust because he is mentally weak. Forget the gun/suicide incident. He hears people say he can't get it done with his arm so he stops doing what he does best, running. He doesn't dedicate himself to improving enough to get his starting job from a 36 year old man who hasn't moved in the pocket in ten years. He has a team that he just has to know what going on (ie not make dumb mistakes) and he can succeed, yet he fails to do so.

Off topic, but I don't understand the quote in your sig. We played NYJ in week 12. If whoever wrote that meant week 15 then you guys won by a point, is that owning? If its some sort of joke then feel free to laugh at my ignorance.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
VY is a bust because he is mentally weak. Forget the gun/suicide incident. He hears people say he can't get it done with his arm so he stops doing what he does best, running. He doesn't dedicate himself to improving enough to get his starting job from a 36 year old man who hasn't moved in the pocket in ten years. He has a team that he just has to know what going on (ie not make dumb mistakes) and he can succeed, yet he fails to do so.

Off topic, but I don't understand the quote in your sig. We played NYJ in week 12. If whoever wrote that meant week 15 then you guys won by a point, is that owning? If its some sort of joke then feel free to laugh at my ignorance.
I take it you weren't impressed with VY's performance last night?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

VY looks like an overpaid 3rd string QB. Ramsey played better.
Old 08-10-2009   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. It was week 15, I just copied the quote and didn't think about it. Yes, obviously it was meant in humor since it made me laugh.

BTW, why the Titans want to promote the city of a division rival is beyond me. If I were a fan of a team that was stolen from another city I would probably want to forget that fact and not have the team reminding me of that even if it is just for nostalgia.
Old 08-10-2009   #6
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

http://www.www.bleacherreport.com/ar...ly-exaggerated

The link is from bleacher report but I can not believe someone came up with 9 pages of excuses for Young. Just amazing.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #7
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I take it you weren't impressed with VY's performance last night?
Its not even about last night. People write fluff articles about how he is working hard in the offseason and trying to get on the same page as his receivers, etc, but it doesn't show on the field. He has trouble reading defenses and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has lost the confidence that made him so good in college and he needs to get back to what he did best in order to regain that confidence. He needs to learn to actually go through his reads and if nothing is there don't hesitate and take off. He has the ability but just can't put it together in his head. I would love for him to be our QB of the future but its just not going to happen.

I'm not worried about his throwing motion, accuracy would come with more confident passes and knowledge of what the defense is doing each play.

Quote:
VY looks like an overpaid 3rd string QB. Ramsey played better.

I think the coaches feel the same way. It might not show up that way when the season starts (if VY is still with the team) but it will be interesting to see who gets the nod if Collins goes out.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2009   #8
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince has gone from being overrated to underrated. He should never have been rookie of the year, it should have been Maurice Jones Drew. He was getting most of the credit for playing on a great team until people started to see through that. Now people go the other way and say he's a bust. I see him being like Vick. He can defenses problems with his scrambling, but he's never going to have a great deep ball.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #9
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comment
Yall are a bunc of raceists
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

You're asking VY to learn how to read defenses? LOL

I'm not sure VY has the ability to learn much of anything as his 6 on the Wunderlich would seem to suggest.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
Vince has gone from being overrated to underrated. He should never have been rookie of the year, it should have been Maurice Jones Drew. He was getting most of the credit for playing on a great team until people started to see through that. Now people go the other way and say he's a bust. I see him being like Vick. He can defenses problems with his scrambling, but he's never going to have a great deep ball.
I've seen Vick, and VY is no Vick.

Plus, NFL defenses figured Vick out, and they would use the same against VY. So he would be forced to rely on his arm and his ability to play QB. Wow, I actually typed that with a straight face.
Old 08-11-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. I was SO wrong about Vince Young. * hangs head in shame *

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #13
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Wow. I was SO wrong about Vince Young. * hangs head in shame *
Yeah me too. Actually I never thought of the guy as an NFL QB until I started falling for all of the hype after the Rose Bowl. Of course a big part of my problem back then was I just wanted David Carr gone and I knew VY would instantly make the Texans the most popular NFL team in Texas.

Man, we really dodged a bullet in the 2006 draft. Imagine if the Texans would have drafted VY or Leinhart. It would have been David Carr all over again. Bush wouldn't have been as bad since the Texans still might have landed Schaub.

I heard someone say before that draft that if the Texans screw up that draft that it would set them back for years. Man, it sure would have especially if the Texans would have drafted one of those bust QBs. They would have never signed Schaub and we would still be waiting for either VY or Leinhart to develop like we did with Carr.
Old 08-11-2009   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

It just goes to show you, college production means SQUAT when it comes to evaluating a player as an NFL prospect. Charles Rogers is the all-time receiving yards leader at Michigan State. Chris Weinke. Jason White.

One guy to look out for who I think is in this same boat is Jeremy Maclin. There's a laundry list of knocks on this guy but the one prevailing factor that evaluators held on to was his "tremendous production" at Missouri.

Last edited by m5kwatts; 08-11-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: wrong name
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #15
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Yeah me too. Actually I never thought of the guy as an NFL QB until I started falling for all of the hype after the Rose Bowl. Of course a big part of my problem back then was I just wanted David Carr gone and I knew VY would instantly make the Texans the most popular NFL team in Texas.

Man, we really dodged a bullet in the 2006 draft. Imagine if the Texans would have drafted VY or Leinhart. It would have been David Carr all over again. Bush wouldn't have been as bad since the Texans still might have landed Schaub.

I heard someone say before that draft that if the Texans screw up that draft that it would set them back for years. Man, it sure would have especially if the Texans would have drafted one of those bust QBs. They would have never signed Schaub and we would still be waiting for either VY or Leinhart to develop like we did with Carr.
Imagine last season if our drafts were reversed. We would have KVB, M Williams and Haynsworth on the same D line. And we would get to play Young twice a season!

Your coach would probably be gone after last season and the comments about your O-line would have been relentless.

Old 08-11-2009   #16
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 42567 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

My balls shriveled up upon thinking about BA's proposed scenario.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
Imagine last season if our drafts were reversed. We would have KVB, M Williams and Haynsworth on the same D line. And we would get to play Young twice a season!

Your coach would probably be gone after last season and the comments about your O-line would have been relentless.
The Saints would have drafted Mario before Bush if he was still on the board. You would probably have Reggie on your team right now, which is still better than VY as a third-string QB.
Old 08-12-2009   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Saints would have drafted Mario before Bush if he was still on the board. You would probably have Reggie on your team right now, which is still better than VY as a third-string QB.
and they would not have Lenwhale and Millie Va Nillie.
Old 08-12-2009   #19
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I've never seen Bush throw a ball but I would probably agree he would be a better QB. We would have taken Lienart or Cutler IMO. We were still bent over at QB at the time. That was the same year as McNair's banning from the field so he would not injure himself working out or story goes.

Old 08-12-2009   #20
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
and they would not have Lenwhale and Millie Va Nillie.
I think we still would. I don't see us taking Bush. We needed a QB much more then we needed a RB at the time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read