Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Week 1 Jets @ Texans scorecard

first Calvin Pace

Quote:
New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been suspended for the first four games of the 2009 NFL regular season for violating the league's performance-enhancing substance policy.

The NFL, announcing the suspension on Thursday, said Pace will be eligible to return after the Jets' Oct. 4 game against the New Orleans Saints.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4303126

now this with Shaun Ellis

Quote:
The Star Ledger is reporting that New York Jets defensive end is going to be suspended for the week one game in Houston against the Texans.

Veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis is expected to be suspended for the opener against the Houston Texans for his arrest on Nov. 29 in Morris County for possession of marijuana, according to two league officials with knowledge of the situation.

They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they’re not authorized to speak publicly on the subject.

Ellis, who led the Jets with eight sacks last season, was stopped near the Jets’ Florham Park complex on a Saturday morning for speeding and police detected the smell of marijuana in his car. He had possession of less than 50 grams, a disorderly person offense in New Jersey. He was also cited for driving without insurance.

It is strange that the league would wait this long to suspend him. Regardless, the players are resposible for their actions. They need to realize that they can negatively impact the team with the decisions they make.
http://www.jetnation.com/?p=2689

I'd rather see the Jets at full strength but if not.. well nothing we can do about that , except pull out a freaking win
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Week 1 Jets @ Texans scorecard

Our first win of the season!

Was going to be either way.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

After the way Rex Ryan's defense absolutely destroyed us last year - I'll be terrified of this game until it's over.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
After the way Rex Ryan's defense absolutely destroyed us last year - I'll be terrified of this game until it's over.
Is he going to have the same kind of horses that he had in Baltimore? Are the Jets really going to be comfortable in his scheme by then?

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.
Old 08-09-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats two of their best pass rushers. Our OL should be relived
Old 08-09-2009   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ravens defense >>>>>>> Jets defense.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #7
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting the fans to be rabid and the team will respond with a resounding home "W". Week 2, on the other hand, I'm a little worried about.
Old 08-09-2009   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't see anything but a W for us here. Sanchez is supposed to be kicking butt as a rookie QB, but I think the real games are gonna be a surprise for him. BTW, what in the world is an NFL player doing with no auto insurance?? What a stupid individual.
Old 08-09-2009   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Is he going to have the same kind of horses that he had in Baltimore? Are the Jets really going to be comfortable in his scheme by then?

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.
No, he doesn't have the same talent, aside from Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard (sp?).

But - his scheme is fantastic, plus - I'm a worrier. I started worrying about Owen, DeMeco, and Dunta's contract back in October, for example. LOL

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 08-09-2009   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, he doesn't have the same talent, aside from Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard (sp?).

But - his scheme is fantastic, plus - I'm a worrier. I started worrying about Owen, DeMeco, and Dunta's contract back in October, for example. LOL
If scheme was all that, The Bengals would have multiple Super Bowl trophies brought to them by Dick LeBeau and/or Marvin Lewis!

Scheme's nice - scheme without adequate horses don't do much.
Old 08-09-2009   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!

All I'm saying is - that game worries me. If you guys think we're just going to blow them out easily, that's fine - I'm not at all convinced of that. I think we'll win, but I think it's going to be a tough game.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 08-09-2009   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All I'm saying is - that game worries me. If you guys think we're just going to blow them out easily, that's fine - I'm not at all convinced of that. I think we'll win, but I think it's going to be a tough game.
Is there a game on the RS schedule that doesn't worry you?
Old 08-09-2009   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Haha... well, not really. But if pressed:

Jax at home
Oakland at home
49ers at home
Seahawks at home

Not too concerned about any of those at this early date - but I'm sure I'll find reasons once it's the week of each of those games.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 08-09-2009   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I realize you're responding to DieHardChris but I have to chime in here.

To answer your question, no there is not a single game that does not worry me. The Texans have not won enough games for me to start talking smack. We haven't earned it yet. Until we win some more games... I'm going to be tentative because...

Any Given Sunday.

Old 08-09-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm with Nitro on this. I worry about every game. There's not a game on the schedule that I don't think we can find a way to lose.

That said, I'm expecting 9-7. Don't know if that will be good enough to make the play-offs. I'm hoping it is.

I'd really like to be wrong and for us to win 120 games.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I realize you're responding to DieHardChris but I have to chime in here.

To answer your question, no there is not a single game that does not worry me. The Texans have not won enough games for me to start talking smack. We haven't earned it yet. Until we win some more games... I'm going to be tentative because...

Any Given Sunday.

We're fans - our main job is to worry about our team.

I'm not one of those who said the Texans will blow the Jets away. I'm just saying that it's no more likely that Rex Ryan turns the Jets D into a bunch of monsters in his first game as a HC than it is that the Texans blow out the Jets.

Given that the Jets will be missing 2 starters from what was a middle of the road D last year, and given that there are precious few blow-outs in the NFL, neither is likely to happen.
Old 08-09-2009   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

This scenario (Jets-week 1, @ Titans-week 2) kind of reminds me of 2 years ago when we played the Chiefs-week 1 and @ Panthers-week 2. I don't think we were given much of a chance (at least on paper) to start out 2-0, especially playing that 2nd game at Carolina. That was the 1st game, I think, where we got a glimpse of what a high powered offense we could have with Schaub at QB. And then the walls came crashing down in week 3 with all the injuries. Fortunately, I think we are in better shape this year (depth wise) and can withstand some injuries without too much of a drop off in play, but I certainly hope we don't have anything like that again.

Though I don't like to "count my chickens before they hatch" I really feel we can, and should, beat the Jets opening day. They have a new head coach and a rookie QB. That alone should give us a leg up. I will be very disappointed if we "lay an egg" on opening day and get our butts handed to us. I just can't see that happening.

Then if we can go in and beat the "tacks" in week 2, that would be sweeeeeet! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #18
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Even with Pace and Ellis suspended, the Jets have some excellent players on defense such as Brian Leonhard, Darelle Revis, David Harris, and Bart Scott. I just hope our offensive line can buy Schaub some time and hopefully we can minimize turnovers. The sight of Kris Jenkins squashing Schaub brings flashbacks of the Carr vs. Pats game where DC was absolutly destroyed!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
after oakland last yr, isnt there one you aren't worried about?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Rex has his defense ready week 1, how is that team gonna score points?? Their passing game is pathetic (rookie QB, horrific receiving corps). Unless their gonna run the ball 60 times a game and we can't stop that, they won't score more than 10 points week 1.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read