Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-08-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jessie Jackson trying to say that Vick is being discriminated against by NFL owners

The Rev. Jesse Jackson became the latest public figure to offer an opinion on the future of Michael Vick. Jackson said he wondered whether there had been collusion among N.F.L. owners to keep Vick out of the league.
Skip to next paragraph
Related

“I want to make it an issue,” Jackson said Thursday in a telephone interview. “I want teams to explain why they have a quarterback who has less skills but is playing or at least is on the taxi squad, and a guy with more skills can’t get into training camp.”

Two years ago this month, Vick pleaded guilty to felony charges related to his participation in an unlawful dogfighting ring and was indefinitely suspended from the N.F.L. Vick was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison in December 2007.

He was conditionally reinstated to the league last month by Commissioner Roger Goodell. Under terms of the reinstatement, Vick can take part in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and may play in the final two preseason games — if a team signs him.

When the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games. Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6.

“Democracy does not guarantee success,” Jackson said. “Democracy guarantees an opportunity. It’s not fair to de facto try to lock him out of his right to compete. If he can’t make the team, don’t let him play. If he can, let him work.”

Jackson, born in 1941, has been a civil rights activist for most of his adult life. He said that in some ways, Vick’s attempt to re-enter the N.F.L. was similar to Jackie Robinson’s entering Major League Baseball.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/08/sp...oden.html?_r=2

When will this pathetic form of human bacteria somehow die off?

Here he is trying to create racial tension again, and using Vick as a subject for it. Comparing him to Jackie Robinson? Really? Like I've said time and time again, racism is a business and a venture to guys like Jackson, Sharpton, and Watkins.

Last edited by Texecutioner; 08-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Jessie Jackson trying to say that Vick is being discriminated against by NFL owne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Here he is trying to create racial tension again, and using Vick as a subject for it. Comparing him to Jackie Robinson? Really? Like I've said time and time again, racism is a business and a venture to guys like Jackson, Sharpton, and Watkins.
Sad, but true.
Old 08-08-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jessie Jackson trying to say that Vick is being discriminated against by NFL owne

Quote:

I want to make it an issue, Jackson said Thursday in a telephone interview. I want teams to explain why they have a quarterback who has less skills but is playing or at least is on the taxi squad, and a guy with more skills cant get into training camp.
lol. How about the PR *hitstorm that would hit if a team decided to sign him?
Old 08-08-2009   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

What does he have to do with football? Zero. Here we go again playing the race card like he always does. Stop making this business. We all know he just wants to be covered on the radio and T.V. aka Jackson Lee. Who else should speak out for? I say just shutup and let people fend on their own and let them speak out if they choose to JMO.
Old 08-08-2009   #5
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 31037 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jackson, born in 1941, has been a civil rights activist for most of his adult life. He said that in some ways, Vick’s attempt to re-enter the N.F.L. was similar to Jackie Robinson’s entering Major League Baseball.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/08/sp...oden.html?_r=2

When will this pathetic form of human bacteria somehow die off?

So, Jackie Robinson organized and financed a major interstate felony criminal conspiracy involving incredible brutality for six years and then went straight into the major leagues after two years in prison? Wow, I am always learning something new from Jesse Jackson.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #6
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Uhhh...so the NFL is racist? I think all 32 teams missed that memo to keep the black man out of football. I think Asians should be raising hell!!

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the NFL just doesn't want to bring him in because he's clearly been a turd. He did this stuff, he lied about doing it, he told one of their fellow owners that he was being honest with him and then was proven to have been a lying turd.

I have advocated the idea of signing him to a contract to "rehabilitate" him as a player and a person but clearly the NFL owners have decided to wash their hands of Michael Vick and I can find no fault in that. It's easy for me as a fan to say "I think that with time and work he could be an asset that might have value down the road" but they are clearly far more informed than I am where this is concerned and have much more at stake. It's not even so much that to offend one is to offend all. The thing is that they all operate their teams under the watchful eye of the same commissioner and he's made it clear that it's a bad time to be trying to play in the NFL for turds. I disagree with Goodell on so many things but I can't find a lot of fault in his crusade to check the worst of the player/turds. It's something that's been a long time coming.

I think Vick is really done in the NFL.
Old 08-08-2009   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Jessie Jackson is why we have racial issues.
Old 08-08-2009   #9
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Again with the race card. This really has become tedious. It is as if he purchased one of those novelty decks of playing cards that consists entirely of one card. In this case, the race card.

I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every issue appears to be a nail.

Vick will probably get another chance in the NFL. If he does not, he has no one to blame but himself. None of these teams owe him anything.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #10
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Individuals evaluating Michael Vick are not simply focused on how far Vick can throw a football; they are also focused on how many fans will fill the stands. Vick has one advantage in that many hardcore football fans are actually beer drinking carnivores who couldn't care less about PETA. On the other hand, the team owner has to worry about the PR problems of having protesters distracting the fans as they try to enter the stadium. The decision to sign Michael Vick is a complicated one, and if he were any less talented, the answer would probably be "no".

The bottom line is this: Michael Vick needs to change his life dramatically. He has a valuable brand name that can be used to make money in certain elements of our society. He is a talented athlete, but he must also realize that changing the folks around him is absolutely essential to getting his career back on track.
Yeah Texecutioner, this sounds exactly like something Jesse Jackson would say. Learn more about Dr. Boyce Watkins before you group him in with Jackson and Sharpton. He fights hard for Black people, but he's also critical of certain aspects of Black society too. Educate yourself more and open your mind up.

As far as Vick, he's served his debt to society and hopefully he'll get another shot in the NFL. It's definitely not a matter of discrimination. It's more of a matter of dealing with sponsors and protestors and the whole ESPN media circus that will follow Vick wherever he goes. I do believe a team will give him shot this season. Good luck to the guy, but this has nothing to do with anyone discriminating against Vick. Just treat Jesse like most Black people treat - a yield sign. You notice it but you really pay no attention to it at all.

Last edited by Texan JBZ; 08-08-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Maybe Vick is only being discriminated against by dog owners. And maybe all the NFL owners are also dog owners.

Old 08-09-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Yeah Texecutioner, this sounds exactly like something Jesse Jackson would say. Learn more about Dr. Boyce Watkins before you group him in with Jackson and Sharpton. He fights hard for Black people, but he's also critical of certain aspects of Black society too. Educate yourself more and open your mind up.
Watkins is nothing but a Jesse JR. in training. A new school version of these types of racist politicians that use race to keep themselves relevant and to make money. Watkins also tries to bash his own people. You just get fooled by the guy, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
As far as Vick, he's served his debt to society and hopefully he'll get another shot in the NFL. It's definitely not a matter of discrimination. It's more of a matter of dealing with sponsors and protestors and the whole ESPN media circus that will follow Vick wherever he goes. I do believe a team will give him shot this season. Good luck to the guy, but this has nothing to do with anyone discriminating against Vick. Just treat Jesse like most Black people treat - a yield sign. You notice it but you really pay no attention to it at all.
Someone will eventually sign Vick. But like I've said for a while now. He's just going to be a marginal player from now on. He'll never be an NFL starter now as a QB.
Old 08-09-2009   #13
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

There were protesters at Falcons Training Camp Friday with these same sort of signs..

"Re-sign Vick" etc.

If Vick wants to play Pro Football this year, IMO he should have moved to Canada as soon as he got off Probation.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually I wonder about the motive of the person that started this thread.

I wouldn't have noticed it. And it doesn't appear that many (if any) other of the Black folks on this MB even knew Jesse had anything to say on the Vick matter. Although, now that I saw the article, I'm not surprised. Jesse's just another politician looking for some reason to have the spotlight on him. Nothing more.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #15
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone tell me what he has ever ACTUALLY done that his positive!?
And not one of the people he was "affiliated" with.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I got a question, growing up I went to a private Lutheran school for two years 4th and 5th grade and we to the gentilman who stood before us on Sunday as a preacher and Reverend. Exactly what church, if any does Jesse Jackson preform Sunday services at? And does his wife and mistress attend the same church?
Old 08-09-2009   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Jessie Jackson lost any credibility he had years ago. He is a joke, disgrace, a distraction, and ultimately a deterrent to the causes he claims to support.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011

Last edited by awtysst; 08-09-2009 at 06:19 PM.
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Please go away, Jesse.

the NFL is free enterprise and no owner wants to take the PR hit of hiring a inhumane felon to lead their franchise. you can't affirmative action felons, Jesse. If there is a guy who isn't a felon and a guy that is, guess who gets the job in real lie, Jesse? You guessed it, the guy without the felony.

Maybe if Jesse actually had to earn a paycheck like the rest of us, he would understand basic employment principles like that. not everyone can be subsidized by PAC groups and basically live on 'activist' welfare.

I know some of our posters are not huge fans of Obama, but at least the guy is a good role model and true advocate for change in the black community. I like Obama and the actual respect he has for the office of the presidency. Talking heads like Jackson and Sharpton only perpetuate the problems, imho of course. We need more advocates for change like Wyclef and Bill Cosby. They want to empower people and expect more from each other and their community, not play the blame game.
Old 08-09-2009   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh Jessie. Your stand up act is old but still just as funny. Hey your fly is open.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Actually I wonder about the motive of the person that started this thread.
My motive is to bring this article to attention to show just another example of what a fraud Jackson is with the way he carves up new ways to make himself relevant using race as a crutch to do it at the expense of racial relations in this country. I'm sick of hearing about Vick period. I don't think he's going to be anything more than a marginal player at this point and yet this guy is talked about like he's the current Adrian Peterson and he hasn't played in two seasons. Now Jesse is trying to poke his nose in this once again and act like he's being victimized somehow on the basis of race and plant the seeds of that being a case here so he can find an angle to use against the NFL for money and exposure for himself. Vick's already caused enough embarrassment to the NFL and himself, and really he doesn't need some politician like Jackson stirring the pot and trying to create racial matters through the media. No one will benefit anything from that except for him possibly and Vick sure as hell won't. If anything it might make it harder for teams to want to sign Vick because now he's got guys like Jackson throwing his name around everywhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read