Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Should D.D remain the starting RB ?
Yes 79 75.24%
No 3 2.86%
If no one better is found 21 20.00%
undecided 2 1.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2005   #1
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default Does D.D deserve to remain.....

Do you think D.Davis deserves to go into and remain the starting RB for the texans ? He rushed for over 1100 yards and 13 touchdowns, he had 588 receiving yards 3rd best on the team ! His longest run was 44 yards and only had 3 runs of 20 yards our more, the same as clinton portis of the redskins !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #2
THEFUTURE
All Pro

i think domanick is like the Brian Westbrook of the AFC, except DD can rush way better then BW. if DD can put together one good season he can easily have 1500 yards rushing and another 500 receiving...he is the real deal
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

He should be our starter until someone better is found...

Just like with every other starter on the team...
Old 02-06-2005   #4
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

Of course he should remain the starter. His numbers mightn't have been Jamal Lewis or Priest Holmes like but then again he isn't those guys and our O-line isn't fantastic either (ask David Carr)...

If it ain't broke...
Old 02-06-2005   #5
Txnpride
Veteran

Our o-line didnt do a very good job MOST of the season....and DD still managed a decent year.If we can get the oline fixed....it will make him look like a superstar....it ALL starts up front with the bigboys....if they dont do theyre job....it makes the Qb and the running game look really bad.So....I guess my answer is yes.....keep DD.....unless a someone REALLY special falls into our laps,them make him earn the starting roll/ AHH nothing like a little competition to get the best out of someone
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

If no one better is found...
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
i think domanick is like the Brian Westbrook of the AFC, except DD can rush way better then BW. if DD can put together one good season he can easily have 1500 yards rushing and another 500 receiving...he is the real deal
Westbrook is a bigger threat in both aspects of the game, running and recieving. Westbrook had 130 less carries but still had 2 more 20+ rushes than Davis. And in the passing game, Westbrook only had 5 more catches but about 120 more yards and 5 more TDs. The differences in stats could also be how they are utilized. The Eagles use Westbrook as a third down back even though he is their starter so he doesnt get worn out. The Texans use Davis as a big pounder which doesnt suit him and wears him down easily...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #7
fresno8
Veteran

DD is our guy. Do we need someone to share carries w/ DD? Yes, but he is definately our guy. A lot (most) of teams would like to have Carr/DD/AJ as their nucleus on offense. Please fix our line Casserly so these guys can show what they're made of.
Old 02-06-2005   #8
Paragon Blue
Veteran

I think once he got rid of his turnover problems and got healthy he did very well.
Paragon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud

I am in shocked.... by this thread...

you guys will be lucky if your replacement will be half as good as DD.

1) Pitts dint know WTF he was doing with the zone. He play G like a LT still, he has lots to learn.
2) Wiegert Was Injured most of the time
3) Mckinney cant move people, though he does move well downfield. I hope he gest stronger or David Baas will be our starter come opening nite.

shocked by this thread ??? i am a D.D fanatic, and i am happy with most of the responses i'm getting ! Besides the negative few who will never give Davis a chance ! He is the MAN in my opinion though !
Old 02-06-2005   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdantexfan
I think once he got rid of his turnover problems and got healthy he did very well.
That's right. And getting over fumbling problems is easier said than done. Some RBs are never the same runner, always worrying about securing the ball. Others just fumble throughout their career and teams just live with it. Domanick is now working on a streak of 323 touches without a fumble.

I still think Davis needs another back to help carry the load & I don't think the Texans feel that Wells or Hollings will be that back. But that doesn't mean they go after a high profile FA or spend a 1st round pick on a RB. A 2nd tier FA (like a Najeh Davenport or Anthony Thomas) or a later round rookie could be the answer. But if the Texans continue to run a RB centric offense, a 2nd back must be brought in.
Old 02-07-2005   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis should start the season as the top back. He's done nothing in his two years on the job to deserve a demotion at this point. Like every player on the team if he gets beaten out of the job by someone else then that's the way things go in the NFL. Also if he goes into the season as the starter and doesn't get the job done then of course someone else gets an opportunity. That's also the way things go in the NFL. This is kind of a no-brainer decision really at this point.

Once free agency is over we'll see if someone gets signed who's clearly going to be given a shot at unseating Davis. If that doesn't happen then we go to the draft. If the Texans pick a running back on the first day then I'd have to assume the Texans are going to give this guy a shot at unseating Davis. Then we go to camp and it all shakes out from there.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

well i know that davis could get beaten out of the starting spot, this is more of a question to whether yall think he is good enough and the right guy for the job. I've just heard so many different opinions on him, i was wanting to see what the majority thought. And it looks like most like davis thus far.
Old 02-07-2005   #13
wiley2002
Veteran

You get a guy like DD and they want Emmit Smith incarnate.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis needs help and we will bring in another back. With a short 16 game schedule, and a 'one loss and out' playoff format, you need a guy who is durable or need some semblance of rbbc because DD doesn't run well nicked up and all it takes is one nicked up game in the playoffs and you go home. I have the feeling we draft another 4th round RB and will go into the year with Davis, Hollings and the rookie next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

vinny you seriously think that hollings can make an impact ? I mean we've had the guy 2 years and he is ALWAYS hurt, some question Davis durability, but i can gurantee that he is way more durable than hollings !
Old 02-08-2005   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

funny thing is that when DD went down, Wells had 2 good games and people took notice and said "wow, look at Wells" and off the top of my head, I can't remember if wells had 2 100 yard games or just 1... My point is we have solid RB's but no one spectacular and strike fear in a defense. we have backs that have a hard time making people miss on a regular basis and a defense is scared to leave us one on one in the flat

DD is definitely our starter till someone better comes along and it is his job to lose
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
funny thing is that when DD went down, Wells had 2 good games and people took notice and said "wow, look at Wells" and off the top of my head, I can't remember if wells had 2 100 yard games or just 1... My point is we have solid RB's but no one spectacular and strike fear in a defense. we have backs that have a hard time making people miss on a regular basis and a defense is scared to leave us one on one in the flat

DD is definitely our starter till someone better comes along and it is his job to lose

so your telling me that D.D isnt good at making people miss ? Cause from what i see he is actually really good at fooling defenders and picking up extra yardage !
Old 02-08-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
vinny you seriously think that hollings can make an impact ? I mean we've had the guy 2 years and he is ALWAYS hurt, some question Davis durability, but i can gurantee that he is way more durable than hollings !
It's possible, but I really never made that point in my post.

Old 02-08-2005   #19
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

haha na vinny i wasnt saying ya made that point, i was more or less asking if ya thought he could make an impact or not ! i honestly dont think he can.
Old 02-08-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I still think it is a possiblity. For instance, it took Kevin Greene 4 years to record his 17th NFL regular season sack. He went on to many Pro Bowls, and multiple double digit sack years after his 3 year learning period. Some guys take longer to mature than others.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read