Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2009   #161
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta speaks about Returning and the Franchise tag

This team can't afford to lose Ryans, Daniels and Robinson, yet all three are unhappy with their contract situations. The team can afford to lose one of them if he is unreasonable, perhaps two if they get lucky enough in the draft (i. e. if Casey is good enough to be a Pro Bowl TE), but you can't replace many of your best players at the same time. Because three of our best players are unhappy at the same time, I've had my doubts about Rick Smith's ability to put together a great team long-term.

The more I think about it, however, the more Smith's behavior makes sense.

Ryans is under contract. He must play this year for less than $500,000. That means he is seriously underpaid, but that doesn't mean that the Texans need throw away his contractual obligation in exchange for nothing and give him $6 million this year and each of the next five or six years. If a 5 year $35 million contract is fair (I'm just making up numbers) then a 6 year $35.5 contract would also be fair since he is already committed to another year at less than half a million. If he turned that down, then it makes perfect sense to get him for another year for half a million, then give him what he wants when you don't have another option.

Daniels is in a similar situation. He was a restricted free agent, so they can get him for less than $2.8 million this year. He has no choice. They should have offered him a contract that pays him like a Pro Bowl TE, but takes into account that they can get him for another year at $2.8 million. If he refuses that, they should get him for another year cheap, then offer him what he wants after they run out of other options.

In other words, contracts are about business. The players want the best deals they can get, but the teams also want the best deals they can get. Why pay a player $6 million for this year when you know you can get him for under $3 million?

Dunta is a different situation. He wanted more than they wanted to pay, so they franchised him. Franchising a player is very expensive, generally more expensive than the average yearly salary for the player. Franchishing a player makes sense in only two cases: the player is one of the top All Pro players at his position and is likely to cost that much anyway; or you really need the player for just one more year so the extra year of time you buy is worth the extra cost of the franchise tag.

With Dunta, I think Smith just wants him one more year to give his other corners a chance to develop. It would be nice to have Dunta long-term, but only if the value and cost are proportional and the cost fits into the cap. I think what Dunta wants is out of proportion with his worth, so Smith is spending extra money to buy one more year of development time.

With that said, it is possible that Smith will want to use the franchise tag on Ryans in the near future as part of his negotiation for a long-term contract. There is no way he will want to encourage Ryans to hold out for a promise not to use the tag again, so he can't give in to Dunta's demand for that same promise. You never want to set a precedent that encourages players to hold out.

In other words, I think all of Smith's moves so far make sense. They will continue to make sense as long as Smith does whatever allows him to keep all of the players he wants at the lowest possible cost. Keeping your best players is only half of his job; the other half is fitting the best possible combination of players under the salary cap.

In modern professional sports, the keys to building a good team are good drafting, good coaching, and good financial management. As long as the Texans' moves seem to be focused in these areas, I'm going to give Smith the benefit of the doubt.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #162
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2bKay View Post
edited...

Carry on...
Yeah I am from Texas, but it was not a term I was familiar with.

I went to Wikipedia to find out what it meant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

just out of curiosity, what did you mean by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2bKay View Post
Did you really??? Not really surprised though....

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #163
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I was of the understanding that a "Coon Ass" was the offspring of mixed races, resulting in a Louisiana person who had neither a white, nor black skin tone, but rather a gray'ish or blended skin tone.

And that in some circles, it was indeed used as a slur to demean someone of mixed heritage. But within other friendlier circles, it was used amongst peers as a label of pride and uniqueness due to their parents' inter-racial relationship.
Old 08-12-2009   #164
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what exactly a "coonass" is but I do know that it can't mean to be a good word or thing. I didn't like typing it much just now. I got the heebie-willies.
Old 08-12-2009   #165
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually the use of the word 'Coon ass' is derogative against both 'race' and 'ethnicity' alike. As mentioned before, it is used to connect a certain group of people to certain attributes so as to dehumanize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I was of the understanding that a "Coon Ass" was the offspring of mixed races, resulting in a Louisiana person who had neither a white, nor black skin tone, but rather a gray'ish or blended skin tone.

And that in some circles, it was indeed used as a slur to demean someone of mixed heritage. But within other friendlier circles, it was used amongst peers as a label of pride and uniqueness due to their parents' inter-racial relationship.
This is a case of what is called Orientalism. How an ethnic group embraces others perception of self, making it part of their own identity. Coon-ass, N-worders are examples of this. Actually, post-colonial nationalist India is pretty much based on how India was seen by Great Britan during to colonial period, embraced and institutionalized.
Old 08-12-2009   #166
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is way too much being made out of the term coonass. It isn't anything close to using the n word. It has always meant the same thing as cajun to me. People are easily offended nowadays in the era of political correctness.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #167
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
On the other hand, "coon ass" is used by Texans to refer to people from Louisiana regardless of race. So, this guy might not mean anything racial in his name; he may be referring to his place of birth.
I have several friends from South Louisiana. Many happen to be caucasian and they all refer to themselves as "Coon ass". It is not meant to be racial or offensive in any way.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2009   #168
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post

I have several friends from South Louisiana. Many happen to be caucasian and they all refer to themselves as "Coon ass". It is not meant to be racial or offensive in any way.
That's correct. This is a term than Cajuns call themselves amongst themselves. "Coon", however, is a racial derogatory term.

Having settled that tangential foray, let's get back to hating on Dunta.
Old 08-12-2009   #169
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Having settled that tangential foray, let's get back to hating on Dunta.
I don't think Dunta should get his hair cut until this thing is settled.
Old 08-12-2009   #170
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't think Dunta should get his hair cut until this thing is settled.
Damn, you made me spill my coffee
Old 08-12-2009   #171
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
On the other hand, "coon ass" is used by Texans to refer to people from Louisiana regardless of race. So, this guy might not mean anything racial in his name; he may be referring to his place of birth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Coonass, Swamp runner, ect....pretty much anyone from south LA.

Kinda like if your from East Texas your a truck driven Hillbilly Redneck.

Its all in fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Coonass is anyone from La who is not a true Cajun ... I was born in Luling La but I am not a Cajun.
Ok, I seee I just wasnt familiar with the term used in that way. A regional thing within Texas.(SE)
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #172
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Referring back to TC's blog in the Chron, given all the Pro-Bowl level players who've signed franchise tenders with no agreement not to re-franchise, what makes you believe the Texans should agree to his request/demand? What makes Dunta worth doing this for, when players like Peppers, Asomugha, and Lance Briggs haven't needed (or at least haven't gotten) it?
I really don't care what other teams have done or what other players have gotten when it comes to my team being as good as it can be. I do not follow other teams or players as closely as the hometown variety, so I really have no idea what those guys asked for and didn't get. Maybe the guys you named didn't request to not be franchised twice.

That aside, If Rick Smith (or whoever) doesn't believe Dunta is worth the hype, then franchising him two yrs in a row shouldn't even really be in the equation. You offer a guy a contract that would pay him as much in three years then turn around and pay it to him in two?

I think that something else is not right with your comparison of Dunta to those other players. Those other players were franchised because they wouldmore than likely get big money on the FA market. If Dunta is not worth what he's asking for, then why not just let the guy walk or atleast test the waters?

If we are going to talk about future precedents, franchising B level @ best players is one I want to avoid.
Old 08-12-2009   #173
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
So you want to let one of your better players leave with no compensation for the team? Give Dunta the freedom and he is gone and we have nothing to show for it.
That's why you make him reach certain incentives.

Then if he reaches those incentives you atleast got a hell of a year out of him.

Two teams that have consitently fielded good to great teams have done this and had their players walk "with no compensation".

But to me that doesn't even make sense because you can only franchise him twice anyways. Eventually he'll walk "with no compensation" anyways.
Old 08-12-2009   #174
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I really don't care what other teams have done or what other players have gotten when it comes to my team being as good as it can be. I do not follow other teams or players as closely as the hometown variety, so I really have no idea what those guys asked for and didn't get. Maybe the guys you named didn't request to not be franchised twice.

That aside, If Rick Smith (or whoever) doesn't believe Dunta is worth the hype, then franchising him two yrs in a row shouldn't even really be in the equation. You offer a guy a contract that would pay him as much in three years then turn around and pay it to him in two?

I think that something else is not right with your comparison of Dunta to those other players. Those other players were franchised because they wouldmore than likely get big money on the FA market. If Dunta is not worth what he's asking for, then why not just let the guy walk or atleast test the waters?

If we are going to talk about future precedents, franchising B level @ best players is one I want to avoid.
Agreeing to not tag him again would also leave the Texans without compensation. We could tag him, then trade him for a draft pick. The Patriots tagged Cassel and ended up trading him and Vrabel for a 2. Does anybody honestly think the Pats were going to pay him what they tagged him for? They knew what they were doing.

Dunta will be playing for the Texans this season and that's really all that matters to me right now.

Sorry for the interruption, carry on.
Old 08-12-2009   #175
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Compensation - monetary and otherwise is driven by the market - meaning just like Dunta looks to the contracts of other recently signed CB's, teams in the league look to see how other teams have handled similar situations. The fact that you really don't care is kind of irrelevent - it's what goes on league-wide.

Let me pose the same question to you again as simply as I know how.

Why does Dunta deserve to get the contractual agreement not to be re-franchised?
Old 08-12-2009   #176
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Compensation - monetary and otherwise is driven by the market - meaning just like Dunta looks to the contracts of other recently signed CB's, teams in the league look to see how other teams have handled similar situations. The fact that you really don't care is kind of irrelevent - it's what goes on league-wide.

Let me pose the same question to you again as simply as I know how.

Why does Dunta deserve to get the contractual agreement not to be re-franchised?
I see a lot of people turning this into a Dunta vs. the FO thing.

I think you are misunderstanding my position on the matter. Personally, I could care less what is fair to whom.

I am a Texan fan, so I want my team playing at the best of its ability. I think that having Dunta in camp at this point would help get that goal accomplished. I don't care about what is fair to Dunta honestly. My point is that I don't see how agreeing to not franchise him again if he reaches certain incentives hurts the team.

You get the guy in camp which not only helps the young DB's, but it also helps the offense get a better look which in turn makes the entire team that much sharper.

And if teams are looking to see how other teams have dealt with similar situations, I think we should aim to handle situations more like New England and Tennesse vs. Oakland and Carolina

The Texans (Rick Smith) doesn't seem willing to even bend a little, for the sake of getting guys in and somewhat satisfying players...IMO that is not a good thing for the team, but we'll see...

Last edited by Polo; 08-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2009   #177
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Agreeing to not tag him again would also leave the Texans without compensation. We could tag him, then trade him for a draft pick. The Patriots tagged Cassel and ended up trading him and Vrabel for a 2. Does anybody honestly think the Pats were going to pay him what they tagged him for? They knew what they were doing.

Dunta will be playing for the Texans this season and that's really all that matters to me right now.

If they tag him again they may not get compensation regardless.

The patriots are a good example because of how they have handled players they've franchised.

They didn't franchise Asaunte and Cassel for the same reasons...
Old 08-12-2009   #178
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If they tag him again they may not get compensation regardless.

The patriots are a good example because of how they have handled players they've franchised.

They didn't franchise Asaunte and Cassel for the same reasons...
They did franchise Cassel and he accepted it and then he was traded to KC.
Old 08-12-2009   #179
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

The cassel situation is different only because teams are desperate for Qb's (see rob johnson & scott mitchell) & after the season Cassel had, NE banked & eventually cashed in heavily on that desperation. Furthermore, If the FO didn't think Dunta was that good or come back right as some have insinuated in here, they wouldn't be offering the guy 10 mil now & certainly wouldn't be holding onto their right to be able to franchise him if they chose to do so next year. Also, what was Cassel making at this time last year? Of course he was gonna accept that huge bump in salary from NE & the franchise tag without any gripes. him being traded was just more icing on the cake as he was in a win-win situation regardless.

Last edited by Mr teX; 08-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #180
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the texans know dunta would get offered more out on the market & are trying to strong arm him to come back & prove to them he's back before they offer him anything more than what they reportedly did offer him. Strategically good move, but it could also sour any good will he might've had towards the organization.

Most players would rather stay & finish their careers in 1 spot & most times when they leave (under their own power & assuming all's well between them & the FO) it's because the money is exorbitantly more than what the home team is offering.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read