Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2009   #41
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta speak about Returning and the Franchise tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Here is a statement that Dunta made in the Solomon artical:

He said I wasn’t a franchise tag-worthy player,” Robinson said. “If that’s the case, then why pay me franchise-level money? And possibly two years in a row? Doesn’t make sense to me.”

Everyone raise their hand that believes Rick Smith said that.
*crickets chirp*

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #42
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He said I wasn’t a franchise tag-worthy player,” Robinson said. “If that’s the case, then why pay me franchise-level money? And possibly two years in a row? Doesn’t make sense to me.”

I know this is speculation, but that is pretty much all we have, so here it goes: my guess is that not only did Smith say something like this in the negotiation, but that statement is what Dunta is basing his "he promised not to franchise me" lament on.

Smith's job is to negotiate, and, in this context, that entails telling the other side why their head is in the clouds. Now, if Dunta did reject a Gamble-style contract, that means his demand is pretty much the equivalent of five-plus years with each year roughly equivalent to the tag. The blunt response would be that, "That's franchise tag money; I wouldn't pay you that much for one year, let alone for five." I could see a player taking that statement as a promise not to make the tag--I know, not quite the same thing, but we're talking about the heat of a negotiation, words can get twisted to suit one's sides arguments after-the-fact.

Contract negotiations with players are delicate things for a GM: they often need to deflate the player's ego in order to get them thinking reasonably (see: Crabtree, Michael), but, at the same time, they have to worry about whether the player's ego cannot rationally handle such deflationary efforts.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta needs to be ready for the first game and play well if he wants to get that LTC from the Texans or another team.

Dunta needs to have a big year just as much as the Texans need him to have a big year.

The Texans have all of the leverage and they are using it. IMO

Good Business
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #44
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

Hmmm, Any takers?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #45
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Hes not sitting out the whole season though, those guys aren't going to have to play his position in the games that actually count.
i understand that but asking him to step in straight off the couch in a new scheme with a new position coach and a new coordinator is going to be disastrous if thats what it comes down to.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #46
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Hmmm, Any takers?
i'd believe that. i doubt very many people actually believe that DR is worth 9 mil a year even though thats what we're paying him. i've been critical of Smith this offseason as he has now successfully pissed off two of our best three defensive players as well as our pro bowl tight end but if i were him i would have stated the same argument. DR is a good CB, and a better guy to have on the team for his leadership, however, he is not worth giving a long term deal that would give him 9 mil a year like AJ is.
Old 08-07-2009   #47
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta speaks about Returning and the Franchise tag

I hope Rick Smith never gives up the right to franchise a player twice. It makes no sense. He will only use it on Dunta if he plays like a top 5 cb and then tries to leave. If he stinks or is just average then I don't think Smith would use it. Rick Smith wins by getting a 1 year look at Dunta without be committed long term. Its not like he didn't try and sign him. If he likes what he sees then he will sign him (fat chance) or tag him. It is win/win for Smith to keep the option of tagging Dunta a 2nd time.

You guys that think Smith should give in would be wishing Smith hadn't done that if Dunta has a really great season and then just leaves no matter what we offer him.

Dunta is mad because just when he thought he could walk away he got tagged. He most likely wasn't going to sign anything Smith offered. For whatever reason he doesn't want to be in Houston. He is doing his best to make the fans not want him here either.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2009   #48
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why does it make sense for either side to give in?
It didn't until July 15. I understand Dunta wanting to get what he thinks he is worth. I think he overestimates his value especially given the injury he sustained, but I understand wanting to get your big pay day.

What I don't understand is how it benefits Dunta to continue holding out. They can't sign a long-term deal anymore, so what does it benefit Dunta. As I stated before if Dunta has a big time year and actually wants to play for the Texans, he will get the type of contract he is looking for. If he doesn't play well, why would we franchise him if it doesn't look like he is going to be the same after his injury?

Once again, I truly believe Dunta's frustration stems from no longer wanting to be in Houston. He wants the opportunity to shop himself around and pick his destination. Houston would have to pay him stupid money for him to even consider playing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The real question is, do you trust his judgment on how much work he needs to be ready? If you trust him to come in early enough to be ready -- even if that is next week -- then all is good. If you don't trust him to know how much work he needs to be ready, then the first game could be a bad game for him.
No, I don't trust his judgment. If we were running the exact same defense as last year, I would trust him to be ready. That is not the case, and he needs to be in camp or at the latest make it to at least two preseason games.

Quote:
The next question is, do you trust the coaches to know whether he is ready? If the coaches think he isn't ready, they won't play him as if he were.
I do. The only scary part is what will Dunta's reaction be if Kubiak/Smith tell Dunta he isn't ready to get out there and bench him the first and possibly even the second game.

Quote:
The last question is, can the rest of the team (including Bennett, Molden, Quin and MccCain) beat the Jets if the coaches decide Dunta isn't ready to play?
I hope. Maybe Bennett steps up like he did his rookie year and proves to be a legit #1 corner. Maybe Quinn turns out to be the steal of the draft. Maybe Molden actually stays healthy. I hope.

Quote:
Finally, I like the Texans' mix of cornerbacks. I think Bennett, Molden and Quin together can help the team beat the Jets. The Titans game is a completely different story, but that will be a tough game anyway. Regardless, I think Dunta will be ready by then. That is over 6 weeks away, so it is possible Reeves will be back by then as well.

Basically, I'm an optimist. I think Dunta is willing to play when it counts and his holdout won't impact the team's win-loss record.
I agree with you about the corners we have. My hope is that a combination of our corners step up and make Dunta expendable. That would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
I know this is speculation, but that is pretty much all we have, so here it goes: my guess is that not only did Smith say something like this in the negotiation, but that statement is what Dunta is basing his "he promised not to franchise me" lament on.

Smith's job is to negotiate, and, in this context, that entails telling the other side why their head is in the clouds. Now, if Dunta did reject a Gamble-style contract, that means his demand is pretty much the equivalent of five-plus years with each year roughly equivalent to the tag. The blunt response would be that, "That's franchise tag money; I wouldn't pay you that much for one year, let alone for five." I could see a player taking that statement as a promise not to make the tag--I know, not quite the same thing, but we're talking about the heat of a negotiation, words can get twisted to suit one's sides arguments after-the-fact.
Very good points. I agree that this might be exactly what happened. Maybe Smith was trying to get Dunta to realize how good of a deal he was offering considering Dunta's injury and told him he wasn't worth franchising. When Dunta turned down the offer, Smith did exactly what any GM should do and franchised him.

Quote:
Contract negotiations with players are delicate things for a GM: they often need to deflate the player's ego in order to get them thinking reasonably (see: Crabtree, Michael), but, at the same time, they have to worry about whether the player's ego cannot rationally handle such deflationary efforts.
Yep. Negotiations were even more difficult when you throw Dunta's injury into the equation.

All I can say is I am just ready for this whole fiasco to be over with.
Old 08-07-2009   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
What I don't understand is why if he wants to play here he is even worried about getting franchised next year. If we want him that bad and he wants to be a Texans his whole career, then surely we would reach an agreement next year. The thing is he doesn't want to be a Texan. He even alluded to being offered close to the 23 mil guaranteed he wanted but still turned it down. I don't remember all the times it has happened but a majority of the time that a player is franchised two years in a row it is because the player does not want to play for that team anymore. They want out.

All this really makes me wonder if we had not franchised Dunta what would have happened. Would any team have been willing to give a player that just came off the injury Dunta had the kind of money Dunta supposedly wants? I really don't think so, and it would have been interesting to see just how much Dunta wants to be a Texan. I would be willing to be we probably offered him more than most teams would have been willing.
I'd say that's possible (that we offered him more than most other teams would consider) but there's always that one stupid team that's going to throw dumb money at a player who has never been to a Pro Bowl and who is coming off of a really bad injury.

I believe the following things and I base that belief on nothing more than what I've read in the papers and seen on television. I base it on the feeling Dunta gives me when he talks on camera about this and on his choice of words when I read him quoted.

Dunta wants to leave Houston. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he's gone the moment he becomes a free agent.

Dunta would sign with anyone willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth. If we don't tag him next year he'll be one of those guys who signs at one minute past midnight on the day free agency starts.

The current stalemate doesn't help anybody. The Texans aren't going to be able to keep him past this season so why not tell him that if he meets certain incentives (as is commonly done) then he won't get franchised and then get his ass in camp. If he holds out until the season starts he'll be behind in the new system and he'll play like crap for a large part of the year. It hurts his chances of getting that fat contract he wants somewhere else. It hurts the Texans chances of winning games this year. It's in everyone's best interest (including Dunta) to get back on the field and start working.

As things stand though I'd prepare for a season without him and get our current corners ready to play. I'd go ahead and give him his promise that we would not franchise him in exchange for a promise to allow us the right to match any deal he is offered. Even if it's just a verbal agreement on his part I'd make that a very public condition of agreeing to not franchise him.

Then he'd come into camp and could try to win one of those CB spots. If he can then great, we play him and let him do his contract-year thing flying around the field and making as many plays as he can. Then we see what happens.
Old 08-07-2009   #50
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I hope Rick Smith never gives up the right to franchise a player twice. It makes no sense. He will only use it on Dunta if he plays like a top 5 cb and then tries to leave. If he stinks or is just average then I don't think Smith would use it. Rick Smith wins by getting a 1 year look at Dunta without be committed long term. Its not like he didn't try and sign him. If he likes what he sees then he will sign him (fat chance) or tag him. It is win/win for Smith to keep the option of tagging Dunta a 2nd time.

You guys that think Smith should give in would be wishing Smith hadn't done that if Dunta has a really great season and then just leaves no matter what we offer him.

Dunta is mad because just when he thought he could walk away he got tagged. He most likely wasn't going to sign anything Smith offered. For whatever reason he doesn't want to be in Houston. He is doing his best to make the fans not want him here either.
except for the fact that Smith won't have him for this season and this is supposed to be THE year. in my opinion it's a win lose. lets say he signs over the rights to the franchise tag next year. Dunta comes to camp and is ready to roll opening day. lets assume he stays healthy and has a productive year. now, next year comes around and lets say that Dunta doesn't want to stay here. do you really want a guy who doesn't want to be here becoming this big distraction in the locker room? i mean i know thats whats happening this year but we NEED him at this point. so, assuming he wants to leave he signs elsewhere and we move on with Reeves Bennett Quin Molden McCain and probably a high draft pick next year.

now, Smith doesn't sign the rights over, DR shows up opening day without a CLUE what is going on, the secondary is as much as you can expect with the guys that are on the team, DR doesn't have start playing like DR until week 4 or 5 and next offseason we go through this entire process AGAIN. pick the one you fancy.
Old 08-07-2009   #51
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
It didn't until July 15. I understand Dunta wanting to get what he thinks he is worth. I think he overestimates his value especially given the injury he sustained, but I understand wanting to get your big pay day.

What I don't understand is how it benefits Dunta to continue holding out. They can't sign a long-term deal anymore, so what does it benefit Dunta. As I stated before if Dunta has a big time year and actually wants to play for the Texans, he will get the type of contract he is looking for. If he doesn't play well, why would we franchise him if it doesn't look like he is going to be the same after his injury?

Once again, I truly believe Dunta's frustration stems from no longer wanting to be in Houston. He wants the opportunity to shop himself around and pick his destination. Houston would have to pay him stupid money for him to even consider playing here.

No, I don't trust his judgment. If we were running the exact same defense as last year, I would trust him to be ready. That is not the case, and he needs to be in camp or at the latest make it to at least two preseason games.
Agreed on all points. Looking at this from the FO's POV, there is no doubt that this is the right business decision. Here you have a guy who has been regressing every season after his rookie season, and sustained a major injury and hasn't proven that he's up to speed yet. What you really would like to do is sign him to a low risk one year deal and see if he really is back and then sign him to a longer term deal the year after that. And the CBA gives us that in the Franchise Tag. The perfect solution, at least in the FO's point of view. If he performs, and he WANTS to be in Houston (which I doubt), he'll get the contract he wants (probably). If he doesn't perform, then he probably won't get signed to a big deal by Houston, and definitely won't get Franchise Tagged again.

In neither of those situations does he get tagged a second time. The ONLY way he would get tagged again is if he performs but tries to run off, which is IMO the most likely thing DR is trying to do. Get a chance to show off his stuff for one year at a top-5 CB salary, then run off to the highest paying suitor. Of course he's going to say he wants to be in Houston, DR has always been good at getting the fanbase to love him.

The last reason this is a good business decision from the FO, again, purely from their perspective, is that this sets a precedent. This is the first time dealing with a Franchise tagged player, and if we cave into DR's demands, every franchised player from now on is going to demand similar things. This *new* regime needs to show what kind of FO they're going to be. If they play the smart, hardball, business standpoint, and end up losing DR, I won't judge them. They made decision they thought was right and future players will know that the FO isn't just going to give in.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He said I wasn’t a franchise tag-worthy player,” Robinson said.

Barbs like that are traded by both sides during negotiations. Doesn't mean squat.
Old 08-07-2009   #53
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
A most excellent question...
...I await a reasonable answer from Mr. Smith.
So they have him to trade! I would bet they have not intention of franchising him and paying him for two years. But if he continues to over value his skills and wont sign a long term deal you franchise him next year and trad ehim to a team that has pre-arranged a long term deal wit him. While it may piss of Dunta and some of the fans its a good safety net since they failed to get a deal done. They damn sure better not let him walk for nothing which is what will happen if he has a good year and hits the open market. There are always teams in this league willing to over pay for DB talent. While franchising him this year makes him overpaid for one year it gives the Texans a full season to see what skills Dunta has after the injury. Again, it may not always be popular but in terms of what protects the team from over paying long term or losing Dunta for nothing this is the best option.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #54
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Barbs like that are traded by both sides during negotiations. Doesn't mean squat.
now that's funny
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #55
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So, you think that is an acceptable negotiations tactic? I have negotiated multi-million dollar deals all over the world (some in the 10 digit area) and I have yet to try that tactic. Lets see, you verbally slap a person in the face, set up a major hostile atmosphere and then expect to have things progress from there? I know some folks think you gain a tactical advantage if you do that, but all you do is dig a deep hole of hostility that is VERY difficult to dig out of. You keep things civil and work to identify common areas of agreement then identify areas of disagreement and then work those one at a time to a mutually agreeable conclusion. It takes time, firmness, willingness and a little finesse. One of the most important things in a deal is to be willing to walk away if it isn't right or in this case, throw the F-tag to protect the corporate asset.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, you think that is an acceptable negotiations tactic? I have negotiated multi-million dollar deals all over the world (some in the 10 digit area) and I have yet to try that tactic. Lets see, you verbally slap a person in the face, set up a major hostile atmosphere and then expect to have things progress from there? I know some folks think you gain a tactical advantage if you do that, but all you do is dig a deep hole of hostility that is VERY difficult to dig out of. You keep things civil and work to identify common areas of agreement then identify areas of disagreement and then work those one at a time to a mutually agreeable conclusion. It takes time, firmness, willingness and a little finesse. One of the most important things in a deal is to be willing to walk away if it isn't right or in this case, throw the F-tag to protect the corporate asset.
Cold, hard true facts. unfortunate, disappointing that Dunta Robinson has become strictly a corporate asset. Where's the love
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #57
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Agreed on all points. Looking at this from the FO's POV, there is no doubt that this is the right business decision. Here you have a guy who has been regressing every season after his rookie season, and sustained a major injury and hasn't proven that he's up to speed yet. What you really would like to do is sign him to a low risk one year deal and see if he really is back and then sign him to a longer term deal the year after that. And the CBA gives us that in the Franchise Tag. The perfect solution, at least in the FO's point of view. If he performs, and he WANTS to be in Houston (which I doubt), he'll get the contract he wants (probably). If he doesn't perform, then he probably won't get signed to a big deal by Houston, and definitely won't get Franchise Tagged again.

In neither of those situations does he get tagged a second time. The ONLY way he would get tagged again is if he performs but tries to run off, which is IMO the most likely thing DR is trying to do. Get a chance to show off his stuff for one year at a top-5 CB salary, then run off to the highest paying suitor. Of course he's going to say he wants to be in Houston, DR has always been good at getting the fanbase to love him.

The last reason this is a good business decision from the FO, again, purely from their perspective, is that this sets a precedent. This is the first time dealing with a Franchise tagged player, and if we cave into DR's demands, every franchised player from now on is going to demand similar things. This *new* regime needs to show what kind of FO they're going to be. If they play the smart, hardball, business standpoint, and end up losing DR, I won't judge them. They made decision they thought was right and future players will know that the FO isn't just going to give in.
Adding to this, I don't think the Texans WANT him back after next year. They have been drafting cornerbacks every year, and they look to have a pretty good group now. By the end of this year, Bennett and Molden should be ready to start, Reeves will be available as a backup/nickel corner, and Quin and McCain will be waiting in the wings as the next generation. Plus, they are likely to draft another one next year.

I think the Texans believe that 3rd, 4th and 5th year mid-round picks are the most cost-effective solutions at cornerback. Such players are experienced enough to be coached up, but young enough to be at their peak athletic ability. They are also early enough in their career to be restricted free agents, so they are inexpensive. Offering a 6th or 7th year corner a big long-term contract just ensures he will be on the roster when he finally loses a step. If I am right about this philosophy, the Texans will draft a corner in the 3rd or 4th round nearly every year. (They have done this in the last 3 years.)

The Texans play a great deal of man coverage, and they like fast cover corners. Dunta is better against the run than in man coverage, and fits better in a zone scheme where he can stay close to the line of scrimage. He has great leadership qualities, but he is currently acting like a diva and that undermines his leadership.

He is a poor fit for their scheme, and has become a pain to deal with. They need one more year to develop Bennett and Molden into starters, and to get Quin ready to see the field. Unless something unforeseen happens, they won't need or want Dunta next year.

Franchising Dunta again is the last thing the Texans want to do. They simply can't afford to set a precedent for future franchised players to follow.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #58
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
except for the fact that Smith won't have him for this season and this is supposed to be THE year. in my opinion it's a win lose. lets say he signs over the rights to the franchise tag next year. Dunta comes to camp and is ready to roll opening day. lets assume he stays healthy and has a productive year. now, next year comes around and lets say that Dunta doesn't want to stay here. do you really want a guy who doesn't want to be here becoming this big distraction in the locker room? i mean i know thats whats happening this year but we NEED him at this point. so, assuming he wants to leave he signs elsewhere and we move on with Reeves Bennett Quin Molden McCain and probably a high draft pick next year.

now, Smith doesn't sign the rights over, DR shows up opening day without a CLUE what is going on, the secondary is as much as you can expect with the guys that are on the team, DR doesn't have start playing like DR until week 4 or 5 and next offseason we go through this entire process AGAIN. pick the one you fancy.
Exactly. This is a high risk/reward situation. If Dunta comes in and is ready to play, great. I am ok with anyone that helps us win. I may not like the person, but I will cheer if things they do help us win. If Dunta is not ready, causes problems in the locker room, and doesn't look much better than he did last season, I don't see us making the playoffs. That being said, I believe if Dunta doesn't play at all, we will still be a playoff contender. People that say team chemistry doesn't matter just need to look at the Dallas Cowgirls of the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Great perspective!! I hadn't really thought about that, but you are right. How the FO handles Dunta will set the tone for all other negotiations. If they appear weak, players will believe they can do whatever they want and request whatever they want. The key is finding a way for the FO to be firm but fair. I believe/hope they will find the balance.

Quote:
IF Rick Smith said this (and that is a big IF), I believe he was simply communicating his desire to give Dunta what would be fair for both sides. A pretty large contract with lower guaranteed compensation is the best decision for the organization when dealing with a player that may never be the player he once was. Rick Smith offering him that kind of a deal, and a good deal has been reported by numerous sources, is a huge show of respect to Dunta. If Dunta were to come out and show he is still the same player, he would walk away with every cent of that contract. If he isn't the same, he still gets his guaranteed $18M. I really, once again, can't see how anyone can defend Dunta in this whole debacle.
Old 08-08-2009   #59
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A sign-and-trade deal makes a lot of sense for the team, and it is a great way to use the THREAT of a franchise tag, but you better be very certain there is a market available before you actually apply the franchise tag. An $11 million gamble is pretty risky, even for an NFL team. Also, applying the franchise tag would lock up $11 million of cap room, limiting your ability to sign free agents, match offers to restricted free agents, or resign your own players.

This tactic certainly worked out for the Patriots last year, but Kubiak doesn't know as many people as Belichik and Dunta isn't a QB with an 11-5 record...

If they can make it work, then trading Dunta for a 3rd or 4th round pick could set a great precedent for a long-term plan at cornerback. (See my previous post.)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009   #60
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Re: Dunta speak about Returning and the Franchise tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i'd believe that. i doubt very many people actually believe that DR is worth 9 mil a year even though thats what we're paying him. i've been critical of Smith this offseason as he has now successfully pissed off two of our best three defensive players as well as our pro bowl tight end but if i were him i would have stated the same argument. DR is a good CB, and a better guy to have on the team for his leadership, however, he is not worth giving a long term deal that would give him 9 mil a year like AJ is.
Critical of Smith? Why? I believe the reports out there about what was offered to Dumbta, DeMeco, and Owen. All three of these guys would have been among the Top 5 paid players at their positions if they had signed their contract offers. What more can Smith do? Its not like the Texans are afraid to pay their players good money. Schaub is the highest paid QB this season. AJ is paid in the Top 5 of WRs. Winston is paid very well too. These guys are full of crap. I can see if they came out and vehemently dismissed these contract offers as falsified statements by the media. Not one of these guys or their agents have refuted what the media has leaked out about their contract negotitations. I can't sit here and blame Smith if he's not letting guys run the contract negotiatios. It's his job to what is best for the organization and keep them out of salary cap hell.

I'm okay with the way that the Texans are running things right now. If you look at the better organizations around the NFL, they very seldom fold to a disgruntled player. The Eagles, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, and Giants usually never give in. The teams that are poorly run, such as the Redskins, Raiders, and Cowboys seem to always give into the players and overpay for them. It looks like my Texans are following the former rather than the latter, which is a good thing for us fans whether we realize it or not.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read