Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2009   #221
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta speaks about Returning and the Franchise tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The comparison to Meco was only in the sense that both are unhappy with their contract situations & prior to 2008, every texan fan knew that Meco was worth more than what his accolades would suggest. I was suggesting that If meco has another year like he had last year,down according to most, & he decided to take the same course of action dunta has, i seriously doubt some in here would feel the same way about him as they've come to feel about dunta.

& what are you talking about? The only games Dunta's missed in his career are all related to the same injury at the tail end of 07 & into 08. Every year prior to that, he was in the line up & starting. straight from the texans website: Pay special attention to the "GS" category.
Year Team G GS tckls solo ast sacks int yds avg lg td
2004 HOU 16 16 88 74 14 3 6 146 24.3 61 0
2005 HOU 16 16 87 68 19 1 1 1 1.0 1 0
2006 HOU 16 16 83 70 13 0 2 9 4.5 9 1
2007 HOU 9 9 35 30 5 0 2 6 3.0 10 0
2008 HOU 11 6 38 35 3 0 2 0 0.0 0 0

He doesn't have a history of missing games because of injury, just of being nicked up........find me a player in the NFL who doesn't. So yeah, excuse me if i give the guy a pass on injury issues. 2nd, he busted his hump to come back ahead of schedule & played pretty well too boot @ his self-proclaimed 85%. You go back & look at fred bennett's stats from last year, they compare very favorably & yet some in here think bennett is going to ascend as our #1 guy...shaky confidence & all & cast aside dunta. Really?

& yeah, you're right, there's no hard evidence to suggest he's 100%..but there's also no evidence to suggest he's not. I do know i've heard/read him say that his legs are stronger than they were last year during his comeback & the texans obviously want him back most likely as a starter judging by the money they've offered him. So i'll ask u, what does that "evidence" suggest? surely not status quo or regression.
Matt Schaub has missed games the last two years and fans are saying he has to stay on field. Same should be said for DR. Look, I like the guy just think he is making a huge mistake not being in camp. Can he come in game one and be effective. Yes, but he should be in TC helping Bennett.
Old 08-14-2009   #222
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Fan attitude is a poor barometer of a player's worth. When the team makes an offer and then franchises a player, we have at least one point of reference to speak of D.Rob's worth. Obviously, the FO disagrees with you or they would not have offered $23 million and a franchise tag of almost $10 million.
They made the offer they thought was fair. DR didn't take it.

They franchised him: 1. because they didn't need to use the franchise tag on another player; 2. they didn't want to lose him for nothing; 3. it gave them until July 15th to work out a deal but that didn't happen; 4. they get to see what he has left post injury.

They thought that DR would take the offer because it was a pretty good offer relative to the market and his injury history, and that DR is taking a huge risk in going for guaranteed $10 m. versus $23 m. If he gets hurt this season and out of the league, well, that's on him.

So that he got franchised doesn't really mean he is a franchise CB. It doesn't predict appropriate value for a long term deal. It was just a tool to keep him from skipping out with no real compensation to the team.
Old 08-14-2009   #223
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

They franchised him: 1. because they didn't need to use the franchise tag on another player; 2. they didn't want to lose him for nothing; 3. it gave them until July 15th to work out a deal but that didn't happen; 4. they get to see what he has left post injury.

They thought that DR would take the offer because it was a pretty good offer relative to the market and his injury history, and that DR is taking a huge risk in going for guaranteed $10 m. versus $23 m. If he gets hurt this season and out of the league, well, that's on him.

So that he got franchised doesn't really mean he is a franchise CB. It doesn't predict appropriate value for a long term deal. It was just a tool to keep him from skipping out with no real compensation to the team.
TC,
Has anyone ever confirmed the supposed offer of the 23 million dollar contract and its structure?
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #224
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Good points and I understand what you're saying. I was just replying that we do have a value measurement because of the Texans offer. That's a starting point, and obviously, only a starting point. Nobody knows what free agency would have priced him at simply because he never had the opportunity to test it, AFAIK.

Where did the Texans get this number to offer him, though?
Old 08-14-2009   #225
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
TC,
Has anyone ever confirmed the supposed offer of the 23 million dollar contract and its structure?
No. Nope. Nuh-uh. No Sir. Nosirrybob. Niet. Nin.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #226
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good points and I understand what you're saying. I was just replying that we do have a value measurement because of the Texans offer. That's a starting point, and obviously, only a starting point. Nobody knows what free agency would have priced him at simply because he never had the opportunity to test it, AFAIK.

Where did the Texans get this number to offer him, though?
He received a non-exclusive franchise tag. He could negotiate with ANYbody, but the Texans would get the right to match. If the Texans didn't match it, they would receive two 1st rounders. Not the same as "true" Free Agency, but it's not as if he couldn't talk to anybody.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #227
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta this, Dunta that. I'm tired of it. Either he shows up and collects the money he's not worth, or he doesn't. I don't care about the professional side of football, I'm a fan, not involved professionally. All I care about is whether the Texans make it to the playoffs or not, and Dunta isn't helping by holding out, so he can kiss my ass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2009   #228
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Not the same as "true" Free Agency...
No, it's not. Not even in the same galaxy. Name the last time a team signed a franchise tagged player to an offer sheet.
Old 08-14-2009   #229
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
He received a non-exclusive franchise tag. He could negotiate with ANYbody, but the Texans would get the right to match. If the Texans didn't match it, they would receive two 1st rounders. Not the same as "true" Free Agency, but it's not as if he couldn't talk to anybody.
Well that's a lot different that straight up free agency. Two first rounders puts it out of reach for 99.9% of players in the league. I can only think of two QBs that might be worth that kind of crazy offer.

Somebody would have to offer a big contract to D.Rob and two first round picks under the non-exclusive franchise tag, correct? If so, that's just not being realistic in trying to compare to a free agency market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Dunta this, Dunta that. I'm tired of it. Either he shows up and collects the money he's not worth, or he doesn't. I don't care about the professional side of football, I'm a fan, not involved professionally. All I care about is whether the Texans make it to the playoffs or not, and Dunta isn't helping by holding out, so he can kiss my ass.
Well, you did choose to enter a thread devoted to D.Rob, so what did you expect?
Old 08-14-2009   #230
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, you did choose to enter a thread devoted to D.Rob, so what did you expect?
LOL. Like I've always said, it's a tough job being an asshole but it's something I do well.

But, yeah, I do see your point. I just can't help myself.

Old 08-14-2009   #231
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well that's a lot different that straight up free agency. Two first rounders puts it out of reach for 99.9% of players in the league. I can only think of two QBs that might be worth that kind of crazy offer.

Somebody would have to offer a big contract to D.Rob and two first round picks under the non-exclusive franchise tag, correct? If so, that's just not being realistic in trying to compare to a free agency market.
I'm just saying he wasn't prohibited from "talking" to another team. It's likely that they could've given him numbers of what they would offer (without the tag) for him to consider. That may be why he feels (the theoretical) 23mil wasn't enough. Just something to ponder.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #232
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
TC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
No. Nope. Nuh-uh. No Sir. Nosirrybob. Niet. Nin.
We've got to get off the $23 million..... I can't find it in me to believe the Texans offered Dunta $23 million, and there's no way in the world, I can believe he would turn down $23 million.

& this whole thing makes more sense, to me....... if the Texans offered him less.
Old 08-21-2009   #233
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Take that, dead horse!

nfl.com speaks of the Dunta-Texan situation.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/21/texa...stay-in-shape/
Old 08-21-2009   #234
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Take that, dead horse!

nfl.com speaks of the Dunta-Texan situation.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/21/texa...stay-in-shape/
Sounds to me like Dunta and his agent want to try some spin and damage control. Aaron Glenn has been on the talk shows here trying to defend Dunta, but even Aaron was shocked when told the reported deal he turned down. Aaron said that deal would have made him one of the top 5 paid corners in football. So Aaron did not believe the report with hearing those numbers from Dunta (and that is a fair response).

IMO Dunta has gotten wind of the negative fan reactions here and wants to try and say see I am not the evil one.

Dunta lost all his leverage when they franchised him.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #235
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LMAO.

I needed a dose of Thorn today. Thank you.
Old 08-21-2009   #236
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

LMAO.

I needed a dose of Thorn today. Thank you.
This gives me an idea. I'm not going to post anymore unless yall pay me for it. I want 10 million a year to continue posting. If I don't get it, I'll not post anymore.

signed

Dunta Thorn

Old 08-21-2009   #237
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
There is only one problem he'd have to wait untill he signs the tender and returns back to Houston. That would be some welcome home party for Dante.
Old 08-21-2009   #238
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
There is only one problem he'd have to wait untill he signs the tender and returns back to Houston. That would be some welcome home party for Dante.
G-d help him when he returns, if he plays like a 1 million dollar player rather than a 10 million dollar player. It will be brutal.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #239
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
G-d help him when he returns, if he plays like a 1 million dollar player rather than a 10 million dollar player. It will be brutal.
Right, Thorn might have to wait awhile.
Old 08-21-2009   #240
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Welp, this is a make or break season for him. If he plays well he'll earn a huge payday somewhere else. If he plays poorly he can absolutely forget about getting 23mil from anybody ever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read