Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009   #141
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame
 
TK_Gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 51
Posts: 1,029
Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

I could be way off here, but I seriously think 2 major issues are to blame for Dunta's behavior. 1) he knows he has absolutely no leverage in the situation. If he doesn't play he doesn't get paid and he still cant go somewhere else till next year. 2) He knows he is not 100% recovered to pre-injury form and probably never will be and he was hoping for one more payday before everyone finds out just how average he really is, and it backfired by receiving the franchise tag. So now he is sulking and mad and ashamed and disappointed things didn't work out the way he wanted. Well to Dunta I say this "man up dude, the Texans loved you and would have kept you around till you retired just based on your spirit and the attitude you bring to the team. There is no good ending to this for you by leaving the Texans. It's up to you how you want to finish your career, loved and admired by your fans for who you are, or forever tarnished and underpaid for your poor attitude and decisions."
__________________
"Yeah, and Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, and Gale Sayers were *undersized* too...."
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #142
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,515
Rep Power: 101723 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I could be way off here, but I seriously think 2 major issues are to blame for Dunta's behavior. 1) he knows he has absolutely no leverage in the situation. If he doesn't play he doesn't get paid and he still cant go somewhere else till next year. 2) He knows he is not 100% recovered to pre-injury form and probably never will be and he was hoping for one more payday before everyone finds out just how average he really is, and it backfired by receiving the franchise tag. So now he is sulking and mad and ashamed and disappointed things didn't work out the way he wanted. Well to Dunta I say this "man up dude, the Texans loved you and would have kept you around till you retired just based on your spirit and the attitude you bring to the team. There is no good ending to this for you by leaving the Texans. It's up to you how you want to finish your career, loved and admired by your fans for who you are, or forever tarnished and underpaid for your poor attitude and decisions."
I think you may be spot on about this.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #143
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

If DR signs the tag just before the 1st game, does ANYONE think he will be up to speed for game 1????? I suspect he wont be really up to speed until game 3, maybe game 4. So, now your paying a guy, on a pro rated basis, something like 12 million dollars for a 16 game season. Anyone else think that is stupid money? Yes, he WAS our best CB on our team in the past, but based on who he was playing across from, that was sort of like being the smartest kid on the short bus. He looked good by comparison, but IMO was never the great shutdown corner some folks think he was. One heck of a run stopper, but just slightly above average as a cover guy. So, now we have a guy that wasn't a top level cover corner who has had a HORRIBLE injury to his leg (IIRC these guys make their living with their legs). He has worked his butt off to get back to even be able to play, but who thinks that the injury will have no effect on his speed and quickness??? He showed pretty clearly last year that he wasn't close to his former self. I expect he will be better this year I'm sure, but will he ever be back 100%??? I personally doubt it and now he in effect is asking us to pay even more than the 9.9 million, because we wont have full use of his services, to buy what is clearly a "Pig in a poke" situation. IMO, if he hasn't signed by at least 2 weeks before the start of the season so that he can learn the system and get into football shape, then we should pull the F-tag and use the money to sign Meco and OD.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #144
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,739
Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
It was in reference to the blind homerism associated with some of the Dunta supporters.



But not the best corner the team has ever had, and I suspect, we will have someone better within a few years. As others have stated, Dunta is a safety in a corner's body. The main thing with him was his passion. His recent demonstrations have done nothing but indicate he was never as passionate about the team as we might have thought.

what does that have to do with anything? he's the best CB currently on our roster regardless of what happened to Reeves. & just because we might get someone better later doesn't mean we should just say "whatever" and release him.

As I have stated before, the guy has nothing to gain from this little pity party. Forgive me for not siding with an individual who stands to make almost $10 mil in this economy.

If you could do what he can do, would you take anything less than what you thought you were worth? Yeah..

It isn't just business because it has become incredibly clear the guy no longer wants to be here. He does not want to play for the city of Houston any longer. If he doesn't want to be here, I would rather he not be here. Not sure why that is difficult for some people to grasp.

How has it become "incredibily clear"? I haven't heard him say he doesn't want to be here. Quite the opposite actually.

Agreed. DB, I expect you to organize a protest over the increasing ticket prices. If you do that, I will organize a protest over Dunta's actions.



Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the effect this has on the locker room. If the guy does not want to be here anymore, I can't see how that will not have an adverse reaction on the team chemistry.

Once again, I seriously doubt this is bothering his teammates mainly because they know they could very well be in the same situation in the next couple of years. That's for the most part an unwritten rule in these situations amongst players. You don't knock a guy trying to get as much money as he can. Meco and Daniels' situation is different because they are under contract & stand to be fined everyday they miss. Dunta has no such restrictions.


The scary thing is he might hurt the team by playing.

Really? moreso than Glover Quinn and Molden 2 guys with no experience starting in the NFL? Furthermore, don't guys usually play there best in contract years?

I know man.



I am far from an expert but wouldn't we have different audibles, assignments, plays, etc.? Obviously, it isn't as big of a deal as getting a new OC, but it will still have an effect.
This speculation that he doesn't want to be here is just that.....speculation & if he were truly as desperate to get out of houston as you claim, he would've walked the instant someone offered him any ol contract or something comparable to what the texans offered him. It's business.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #145
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06
 
Pantherstang84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,204
Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
This speculation that he doesn't want to be here is just that.....speculation & if he were truly as desperate to get out of houston as you claim, he would've walked the instant someone offered him any ol contract or something comparable to what the texans offered him. It's business.
Pssst. He was tagged. That means persona non grata to other teams. Thought you might like to know.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #146
JDizzle
I'm a dude
 
JDizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,903
Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

I say we put the franchise tag on this thread.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #147
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 2,687
Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Let me ask you then. What does Dunta have to gain by not signing the franchise tender?
I like this point. Any takers?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2009   #148
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I like this point. Any takers?
That's the point. He has nothing to gain except maybe skipping parts of TC and maybe a preseason game or two. Might avoid injury but, at the same he misses reps.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #149
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But that is dalemurphy's point. He can't even accomplish that, because if they broke a promise about the franchise tag before, then what is to stop them from breaking it again next off-season?
Which is why he wants it in writing. And the only reason he would be concerned about the tag next season is because he wants out of Houston.

He is going to make close to $10M this season and if tagged again next season he would be paid between $11M and $13M. That is almost what he was offered, if you believe the reports.

I see no other reason to worry about the tag next season other than the guy plans to leave.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #150
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 12,008
Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Which is why he wants it in writing. And the only reason he would be concerned about the tag next season is because he wants out of Houston.

He is going to make close to $10M this season and if tagged again next season he would be paid between $11M and $13M. That is almost what he was offered, if you believe the reports.

I see no other reason to worry about the tag next season other than the guy plans to leave.
Agreed
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #151
Ckw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
what does that have to do with anything? he's the best CB currently on our roster regardless of what happened to Reeves. & just because we might get someone better later doesn't mean we should just say "whatever" and release him.
It matters because too many people piss and moan about this because they think Dunta is the best corner we have ever had when in fact that award belongs to Aaron Glenn. Dunta's best season, and only season with at least 5 INTs, came when he had Aaron Glenn on the opposite side of him. Since then the best INT total he has been able to amass was an amazing 2 INTs. The fact is Dunta is not THAT good. The Texans have had awful DBs throughout our history so saying Dunta is one of the best does not say a whole lot.

Quote:
If you could do what he can do, would you take anything less than what you thought you were worth? Yeah..
You know I could honestly believe that I am worth ten million dollars a year but if I walk into my job and demand that I be paid what I think I am worth, they'll tell me to be sure to not let the door hit me in the ass. The same is going to happen to Dunta if he does not get out on the field and show he is a top 5 corner in this league. A person can believe whatever they want about themselves, but it means nothing until they go out and prove it. So far Dunta has only really proven he can be a star corner when a superstar corner is on the opposite side of him.

Quote:
How has it become "incredibily clear"? I haven't heard him say he doesn't want to be here. Quite the opposite actually.
When in the last six months has Dunta said he wanted to be here? He did say so repeatedly over the last few years but this offseason saw a major change in Dunta's demeanor. There are two possibilities:

1. Dunta is insane and truly believes after the injury he sustained he should still be paid like a top 2-3 corner
2. Dunta was going to turn down whatever we offered him (and if you believe the reports, he was offered top 5 money) because he does not want to be here.

Quote:
Once again, I seriously doubt this is bothering his teammates mainly because they know they could very well be in the same situation in the next couple of years. That's for the most part an unwritten rule in these situations amongst players. You don't knock a guy trying to get as much money as he can. Meco and Daniels' situation is different because they are under contract & stand to be fined everyday they miss. Dunta has no such restrictions.
I'm not talking about right now. But if you have ever played the game of football, you should understand how important the "team" aspect is to the game. The team has to work together and their has got to be some team chemistry. If Dunta does not want to be here and is pissed about playing here, how can you not see that this could cause problems in the locker room during the season?

Quote:
Really? moreso than Glover Quinn and Molden 2 guys with no experience starting in the NFL? Furthermore, don't guys usually play there best in contract years?
If Dunta doesn't play much better than he did at the end of last season, then yes he would be hurting the team more than Quinn or Molden. Combine this with the potential locker room problems Dunta's complaining could cause, and I can definitely imagine him being more of a problem than Quinn and Molden. Finally, at least Quinn and Molden help us see what we have for the future. It is almost a guarantee that if we don't franchise Dunta next year, he is gone. I feel sorry for you if you can't see this.

Quote:
This speculation that he doesn't want to be here is just that.....speculation & if he were truly as desperate to get out of houston as you claim, he would've walked the instant someone offered him any ol contract or something comparable to what the texans offered him. It's business.
As the poster above stated, he didn't have a choice; the franchise tag does not allow a player to sign with another team. I believe this is why he got so upset. Has he come out and said he doesn't want to play here? Of course not, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want out. In fact everything he has done to this point indicates that he wants out. Is there proof? No. Is there evidence? Yes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #152
Malloy
Site Contributor
 
Malloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CPH
Age: 40
Posts: 5,572
Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Let me ask you then. What does Dunta have to gain by not signing the franchise tender?
Well one thing that comes to mind is that if he signs the tender he is under contract to attend TC. I have a feeling that he is not too keen on doing this.

I have another reason, purely speculative. D-Rob wants to play CB, but what if the Texans told him that due to his injury and reduced speed, they want him to move to Safety? D-rob doesnt want this, and therefore he's not signing the tender?

As I said, purely speculative
__________________
Insanity is my only means of relaxation
Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #153
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!
 
HOU-TEX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: P-land
Age: 43
Posts: 15,500
Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

I still stand by my thoughts of him showing during camp for at least preseason game or two. I just think he'd be making a huge mistake not coming in and knocking some rust off. I'm not sure how smart Dunta is, but I'd think it'd be wise for him to start the season rust free and ready to go. It's a contract year.....a full contract year not half a season.

FWIW, I'm in the group that understands what Dunta's doing as long as he understands he needs at least a week of practice to get up to speed. If he does that, I'm cool with it. We go on to have a successful year with him then make the decision afterwards. I do not dislike Dunta
__________________
Kubiak: "They’re battling their tail off." Translation: They suck.
OB: "They played hard with great effort." Translation: They suck.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #154
gary
Hall of Fame
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wheelchair
Age: 22
Posts: 21,148
Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
If DR signs the tag just before the 1st game, does ANYONE think he will be up to speed for game 1????? I suspect he wont be really up to speed until game 3, maybe game 4. So, now your paying a guy, on a pro rated basis, something like 12 million dollars for a 16 game season. Anyone else think that is stupid money? Yes, he WAS our best CB on our team in the past, but based on who he was playing across from, that was sort of like being the smartest kid on the short bus. He looked good by comparison, but IMO was never the great shutdown corner some folks think he was. One heck of a run stopper, but just slightly above average as a cover guy. So, now we have a guy that wasn't a top level cover corner who has had a HORRIBLE injury to his leg (IIRC these guys make their living with their legs). He has worked his butt off to get back to even be able to play, but who thinks that the injury will have no effect on his speed and quickness??? He showed pretty clearly last year that he wasn't close to his former self. I expect he will be better this year I'm sure, but will he ever be back 100%??? I personally doubt it and now he in effect is asking us to pay even more than the 9.9 million, because we wont have full use of his services, to buy what is clearly a "Pig in a poke" situation. IMO, if he hasn't signed by at least 2 weeks before the start of the season so that he can learn the system and get into football shape, then we should pull the F-tag and use the money to sign Meco and OD.
He is not some rookie we're talking about here. He knows the playbook already so look for him to be a Probowl CB on day one. LOL. Rep.
__________________
Without the strength to endure the crisis, one will not see the opportunity within. It is within the process of endurance that opportunity reveals itself.
Chin-Ning Chu -
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #155
Goldensilence
hipster elite
 
Goldensilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Posts: 5,143
Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Well one thing that comes to mind is that if he signs the tender he is under contract to attend TC. I have a feeling that he is not too keen on doing this.

I have another reason, purely speculative. D-Rob wants to play CB, but what if the Texans told him that due to his injury and reduced speed, they want him to move to Safety? D-rob doesnt want this, and therefore he's not signing the tender?

As I said, purely speculative
I just can't see them asking him to make that move. I know for some reason it's a semi popular idea on the board to have him moved to safety, but there's no way his frame would handle that. The move would have to be to FS and while Wilson isn't going to the pro bowl next year, he'd still easily start over Dunta.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #156
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame
 
The Pencil Neck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 52
Posts: 18,135
Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Well one thing that comes to mind is that if he signs the tender he is under contract to attend TC. I have a feeling that he is not too keen on doing this.

I have another reason, purely speculative. D-Rob wants to play CB, but what if the Texans told him that due to his injury and reduced speed, they want him to move to Safety? D-rob doesnt want this, and therefore he's not signing the tender?

As I said, purely speculative
If the tag is shifted from CB to Safety, wouldn't that also change how much he gets paid?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #157
Maddict5
Hall of Fame
 
Maddict5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,477
Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I like this point. Any takers?

easy.. he wants to force the texans to insert the 'we wont franchise you again' clause so he can go somewhere else next yr (my speculation but is there any other reason he'd want it in?)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #158
gary
Hall of Fame
 
gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wheelchair
Age: 22
Posts: 21,148
Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Dunte won't be a Texan beyond this season I say.
__________________
Without the strength to endure the crisis, one will not see the opportunity within. It is within the process of endurance that opportunity reveals itself.
Chin-Ning Chu -
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #159
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 46,491
Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If the tag is shifted from CB to Safety, wouldn't that also change how much he gets paid?
You can't do that. It is based on the position he has been playing.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009   #160
Hooston Texan
All Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 654
Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If the tag is shifted from CB to Safety, wouldn't that also change how much he gets paid?
Considerably. Shifting Dunta to safety this year and then franchising him in 2010 as a safety would be about the ultimate screw job.

The tag value is the average of the top 5 players at your position. Using USA Today's database, the average salary for the top 5 CBs (in terms of cap value that year) is $10.54 million while for safety it is $6.68 million. I admit those numbers are a little off of what the actual tag value is, but they are close. Basically it's close to a $4 million hickey if he is reclassified as a safety.

Whether this is his rationale or not, by missing TC, Dunta is short-circuiting any effort to shift him to safety, thereby ensuring that his tag number is calculated as a CB. If I'm Dunta's agent, I would probably advise him to wait until he believes it is too late for the Texans to try to convert him for this season. When that it is, I don't know, but I presume a good agent would have an idea.

While his absence is certainly causing headaches in the offices of Smith and Kubiak, I doubt it is hurting the locker-room. The players are all in the same boat: they have to maximize their return in this most short-lived of professions, and sometimes that requires bucking the front office. So long as Dunta isn't moping in the locker-room or on the field (as opposed to taking shots at Rick Smith in interviews), he won't hurt chemistry.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger