Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2009   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Does anybody think the reason he wont come to camp is because he doesn't want to live in Houston any more after his house was robbed and tied up at gun point?

If he does stay he wants to be paid top dollar.

I cant say that I blame him.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #62
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
And explain to me why Robinson should come in prior to Week 1? There is absolutely no good reason, on his part, to join the team until the opening roster must be set.
Then explain to me why anyone should come prior to Week 1? There is absolutely no good reason, on anyone's part, to join the team until the opening roster must be set.

Why should Schaub come in? Why should Mario come in? Or A.J.? Or Demeco?

Jeeeez.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #63
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

How so?
Old 08-05-2009   #64
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Does anybody think the reason he wont come to camp is because he doesn't want to live in Houston any more after his house was robbed and tied up at gun point?

If he does stay he wants to be paid top dollar.

I cant say that I blame him.
I've thought this but if this were true wouldn't he have requested a trade by now? I mean there's players like Boldin and B-Marshall who have requested trades because of contract holdouts and they didn't even have their houses broken into like Dunta. It's about the money.

Another thing is, we don't know specifically what the deal the Texans offered. Eric Winston spoke about this, he said contracts can look good a la guaranteed money etc to the public but if you look at the nitty gritty and the details of the contract it may not benefit the player so much such as backloaded money or injury insurance issues and such.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #65
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've had some bad experiences in other cities (Cinci) but nothing to compare to what he went through. I will say this though, I stayed in that God forsaken city to pay my bills until I found something better back here in H-Town. If I could have made $10 million dollars in that one freaking year I'd have moved my whole damn family to Hawaii and gutted it out alone in hell to make TEN FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS. I'm sorry, this just doesn't hold any water with me. Bye bye done-tay. I hear there's a dude about four hours north that might break the bank for ya.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #66
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47109 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Then explain to me why anyone should come prior to Week 1? There is absolutely no good reason, on anyone's part, to join the team until the opening roster must be set.

Jeeeez.
B/C Schaub, Mario, AJ, and Meco have signed and are under contract.

DRob is not under contract.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
If I'm the Texans GM I would give Dunta a deadline, if he doesn't sign it by that date I would drop the franchise tag.
I can understand this route, and it might very well be the best thing for all the parties involved, except Dunta.

The F.O. will get his but in camp, and have him ready to play game 1. We'd have made a good faith effort, by throwing away $10 million. But Dunta is a Texan, and maybe he deserves a final payday. David Car got one. Dominick Davis/Williams got one.

Fans can also feel good, knowing our F.O. tried to do the right thing.

Dunta.... If you watched him when he came back, he really struggled. He couldn't fly to the ball the way he used to. He would lung at players in the backfield, and miss.... I never seen that before, from him. Not even a shoe string.

I think Dunta knows he doesn't have it anymore. I don't think he's going to sign his tender. I think he's going to hold out, and try to get the team to make him a better offer when the season starts.

But if that were true, he'd have jumped at the Texans original offer.
Old 08-05-2009   #68
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I've had some bad experiences in other cities (Cinci) but nothing to compare to what he went through. I will say this though, I stayed in that God forsaken city to pay my bills until I found something better back here in H-Town. If I could have made $10 million dollars in that one freaking year I'd have moved my whole damn family to Hawaii and gutted it out alone in hell to make TEN FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS. I'm sorry, this just doesn't hold any water with me. Bye bye done-tay. I hear there's a dude about four hours north that might break the bank for ya.
But yet it's all the fault o the FO.
Old 08-05-2009   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah

It's all about the money and because of this there will be no Dunta regular season holdout.
Old 08-05-2009   #70
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You know, I've been thinking about why a player would turn down $10 million for one year.

Maybe he's afraid he'll get hurt and will be done once the $10 million is paid out. And maybe Dunta is in debt and needs more than $10 million. Fast.
I don't get the impression any of the players likes the franchise tag. The guarantee for that year is nice, but if there is a career ending injury that's it.

If the Texans were to go ahead a remove the tag and he signed with someone else, would they receive a compensatory pick next year for that? I know those picks depend on the value of the players you lose versus sign as free agents, but since TCs have started I didn't know if those rules were still in effect.
Old 08-05-2009   #71
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Jeeeez.
I'm fairly certain they would all be fined for not coming since they are under contract.
Old 08-05-2009   #72
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Oh good lord. Dunta didn't franchise himself and he isn't refusing $10 million to make a statement. He'll be here come game time. He didn't take the franchise tag very well but he also said he'd be in camp if the FO agreed not to do it again and they didn't, so surprise surprise he isn't here. But hey, let's crucify him from atop Rick Smith's jock strap and pretend a couple journeymen CB's will make Dunta a distant memory with their "untapped" awesomeness.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #73
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
Oh good lord. Dunta didn't franchise himself and he isn't refusing $10 million to make a statement. He'll be here come game time. He didn't take the franchise tag very well but he also said he'd be in camp if the FO agreed not to do it again and they didn't, so surprise surprise he isn't here. But hey, let's crucify him from atop Rick Smith's jock strap and pretend a couple journeymen CB's will make Dunta a distant memory with their "untapped" awesomeness.
Oh good Lord. Let's crucify Rick Smith for not doing what Casserly would have done. We pissed and moaned for years about Casserly's brain dead deals. Now that we have a non-retarded GM, he gets the blame because he won't break the freaking bank to retain a mediocre CB coming off of an injury? Hello Tony Boselli anyone?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #74
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
I get that, but I was responding to the notion he's doing this because he's scared to live in Houston. BTW, who are you to say he'll be here for game time? If I remember correctly McClain reported he could "even miss the first game". Maybe I shouldn't have put that in quotes, but that's what I recall. So what game time are you referring to? The second game of the season?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #75
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jeeeez.
Jeez, indeed.
Old 08-05-2009   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I don't see why a bad attitude is a given. The players are going to respect him as much they did before, and his personality is that of a guy who gives his all. That is what the majority of the board admired him for when he rushed back from injury too. From players I've talked to, they don't really care about holdouts, unless it is the exceptional cases like T.O. To some, I understand this makes the players complicit in Dunta's heinous wrong-doing, but it is just the way it is. It doesn't really bother them.

The coaches aren't going to give a lot of thought to the holdout either. They understand the NFL, and I haven't seen any evidence that they are the vindictive coaches of the Capers era that did hold grudges. I think they value putting what they see as the best team on the field over politics for the most part. They might surprise me though.

In my view, the only people who are truly angered by Dunta are the fans that feel betrayed by his lack of loyalty. They turned on him faster than they could say, "I always knew he sucked". Once it became an emotional issue, it entered an unrecoverable downward spiral.
For me, it's not like he instantly became sucky because of his holdout attitude. His instincts, his tenacity, and his veteran mindset are an asset to the team.

It's an issue of how much a guy means to the team considering his overall attitude toward the team. And the contractual aspect of a player's NFL life is just as much an indication of his loyalty to the team, IMO, as any other action he could produce: Such as going over and high-fiving a teammate after a great play was made, or being at a charity to help benefit those in need while also being there for autographs with fans.

I think there's a line that a player crosses, when he actually becomes less valuable to a team when he acts like this. It begins to be, in all honesty, a distraction because there's one guy doing one thing and the rest of the team going on with life as normal. The player has put himself outside the circle of the team and thereby out on his own as a lone ranger.

And from THIS fan's viewpoint, it's reached a tipping point. I've been in an office environment where John Doe was making life absolutely miserable for everybody else. He grumbled about everything, he stopped doing his job and therefore others had to cover for him, and one day he was fired. It's funny how much more enjoyable going to work became when the people poisoner was cut loose.

Sometimes, a guy just needs to move on for the sake of all involved. And if Dunta can make it somewhere else, then that's fine by me. I think he's wrong, but oh well. That's his call.

Had he not done it this way, runner, I bet there's not many fans here who would root for the guy to not make the team nor to be a starter. Had all of this not happened, I think we'd all be blind to any shortcomings he had on the field because Dunta (for me, at least) was sort of a Texans icon.

I had really hoped that he'd finish out here in Houston, and that we'd always be talking about Dunta Robinson. He'd one day have #23 retired. We'd spot him on the sidelines yucking it up with new Texans players 10 years from now, as maybe just a former player making a guest appearance or maybe even as a secondary coach or assistant. That was my hope. And I can't be mad at him for that. It's HIS life and HIS career, and I have to be OK with not getting what I wanted.

I'm just disappointed that it didn't work out better. Because the dude has been nails for this team since he came here. It wasn't supposed to end like this. Not with this guy.
Old 08-05-2009   #77
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

But it is going to end that way after this season.

Dunta let greed and arrogance rule his career and now his career will suffer because of it.

There will be no Dunta Robinson days at Reliant.

No FO-Coaching jobs or nobody setting him up in business after his playing career is done.

Dunta I hope it was worth it for you to trash your rep in H-Town.
Old 08-05-2009   #78
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But it is going to end that way after this season.

Dunta let greed and arrogance rule his career and now his career will suffer because of it.

There will be no Dunta Robinson days at Reliant.

No FO-Coaching jobs or nobody setting him up in business after his playing career is done.

Dunta I hope it was worth it for you to trash your rep in H-Town.
I don't think he will be fully banished or tarnished.

It just think it won't be as good as it could have been. In fact, it'll be far from it. Probably, over time, the sting (for all involved) will subside. Time, and tequila, heal all wounds.
Old 08-06-2009   #79
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Maybe some will feel that way but not me.

I dont forget greedy atheletes
Old 08-06-2009   #80
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 116197 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is absolutely no good reason, on his part, to join the team until the opening roster must be set.
REALLY? He was at 100% at the end of last year and knows the new defense backwards / forwards? There's plenty of good reason, but I doubt he'll deviate from his (announced) chosen path anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Who is to say he'll be here for week one?
That's my personal cutoff date for support of his financial choices. I pray he'll be at 100% come gameday on the first day of the Regular Season.

Quote:
The relevant question is, did Dunta have a better deal in his back pocket than the Texans offered? The answer is very likely, yes.
REALLY? with whom and for how much? If he's all that and a bag of chips, why wouldn't he be worth those two #1's it would cost another team to get him? It's the OD question all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
In my view, the only people who are truly angered by Dunta are the fans that feel betrayed by his lack of loyalty. They turned on him faster than they could say, "I always knew he sucked". Once it became an emotional issue, it entered an unrecoverable downward spiral.
Now who is hearing Centaurs? It definitely isn't unrecoverable, but it was unexpected by the fan base in Houston , who isn't (recently) used to these kind of issues with our "Cornerstone" players. I still don't think he has ever "sucked", but was he at 100% by the end of last year? I serously hope not, because he wasn't having the positive impact on the field that he was pre-injury. Saying he's isn't a top 5 CB does NOT equal "suckage", it's a PoV supported by his level of play. The difference is, with the tag, he's getting paid like he's in the middle of those 5 (albeit for 1 year).

The biggest argument I keep hearing IN Dunta's favor is that this is just business. My only problem with that argument is if that's so, why does Dunta feeled "betrayed" by a Franchise tag, which is the Team's "business" response to him not accepting what they offered as a long-term deal? The Players union and the League BOTH agreed on the different tags, why do only the players get the benefit of being 'victims' here?
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read