Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2009   #21
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Din't Dunta also turn down a fairly large multi year offer before being franchised?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
I think everyone is reading too much into everything. Think about this. He has been franchised so hes playing this year for one years money. He has no future money coming to him. If he gets hurt during training camp he's just S - O - L. You might think that is selfish and this and that and he should have the common decency to be out there etc... but would you? I don't think I would put my self in a situation where I could get hurt before the season starts and have a possibility of getting hurt. We have to remember yeah this is a game and might be the greatest game but in the end NFL is a bussiness and players are in the bussiness of getting paid. My Opinion I'm not mad at him or do I think he needs forgiveness, I will be mad when we come into our game against the Jets and then he's not shown up. Untill then give the guy a break and let some of the rookies, back ups etc... get some reps and let him stay healthy
Great spin but not exactly what happened. He had future money offered to him with $23 million guaranteed. He refused it. He got his feelings hurt twice, once when he did not get what he wanted and then when Smith franchized him after saying he would not. I understand that. I think he should take the $10 mill, have a great season showing he is healthy and a better CB than he has been and hope the team wants him around for a longer contract after this season. I'd also hope (if I were DR) that these younger players are not as good as they just might be.
Old 08-05-2009   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
OKAY, but in order to come to camp, he has to sign his tender, right? So, if he blows out his knee the following day after he comes to camp, he's not S. O. L. He gets the 10 million.

Right?
That's exactly what I was talking about.

The only thing Dunta has to lose is $10 million. If he doesn't sign, he sits out all year and cannot negotiate with any team until the end of the season because of the franchise tag he's under.

If he signs and gets hurt, even for the whole year, he's getting his $10 million by the time the contract is up. At least that's what my limited grasp of this situation tells me. Maybe he doesn't. I just see how the Texans could refuse to pay him because of injury.
Old 08-05-2009   #24
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

from McClain:

Quote:
I believe Dunta Robinson will ride into town earlier than expected and become the White Knight who rescues the Texans' secondary.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/08/h...ta_will_r.html
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #25
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
from McClain:

Quote:
I believe Dunta Robinson will ride into town earlier than expected and become the White Knight who rescues the Texans' secondary.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/08/h...ta_will_r.html

um . . . .
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #26
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

He is being an asshat he would get the ten million and is missing valuable TC time. I think he has already said he would sit out for some of season. I say get rid of his ass he should be there OD and Demeco are both there despite not being happy. Donte is a baby who is unproven after a big injury. Wait untill we see if he shows up for the first game? I'm sorry but I don't think he will be. If not, that will be the last draw for me with him and I'll say this he says he still wants to be a Texan then show it DONTE.

Last edited by gary; 08-05-2009 at 08:14 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I personally think the Texans were being awful generous to offer Dunta top 5 money. IMHO, he's never played at that level. I think Dunta did us a favor by turning it down, and making a big fracus about the franchise thing. He's turned public opinion against him, and I'm sure now, more than before, we can pull the rug from under him, and let him go, & the fans, and his teammates will think of it as nothing but business.

IMHO, there is no way in he77 I'll pay him anything to play this year. If he starts coming to the table, wanting to sign before the beginning of the season, I'd avoid him, then just remove the franchise tag when the season starts. That's just being mean, because every other team will have their 53 man roster, he'll have to wait for someone to get injured, and hope someone calls him.

If the Texans don't want to be mean, I'd let him go now. Delta Oneal is a much better cover corner than Dunta has been the last 3 years.

I don't think he played all that well in 2006, or 2007. I understand he was hurt for most of 2008, but when he came back, he was way off on his tackling, which was the only thing he had going for him.

We love him, because he hit like a LBer, he was our surest tackler, and probably the team leader in tackles for a loss. But if that's gone.... and we have no reason to believe it isn't... why over pay him?

We didn't like overpaying free agents to come here, and not play up to their contracts, why would we be okay with over paying for Dunta?

I'm not with it.... he's got to go, and we need to find CBs better than Dunta. The good ones are hard to find anyway, so to find one better than Dunta (who IMHO is avg) isn't going to be easy. But I'd rather pay Webster & O'neal avg money, sign Demeco & Owen, then look for a big time corner later.

Think about it. If we do draft a first round corner next year (which I think we should have done this year) We'd have a crap load of money in that position, if we keep Dunta Robinson..... who isn't worth the money.
Old 08-05-2009   #28
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I personally think the Texans were being awful generous to offer Dunta top 5 money. IMHO, he's never played at that level. I think Dunta did us a favor by turning it down, and making a big fracus about the franchise thing. He's turned public opinion against him, and I'm sure now, more than before, we can pull the rug from under him, and let him go, & the fans, and his teammates will think of it as nothing but business.

IMHO, there is no way in he77 I'll pay him anything to play this year. If he starts coming to the table, wanting to sign before the beginning of the season, I'd avoid him, then just remove the franchise tag when the season starts. That's just being mean, because every other team will have their 53 man roster, he'll have to wait for someone to get injured, and hope someone calls him.

If the Texans don't want to be mean, I'd let him go now. Delta Oneal is a much better cover corner than Dunta has been the last 3 years.

I don't think he played all that well in 2006, or 2007. I understand he was hurt for most of 2008, but when he came back, he was way off on his tackling, which was the only thing he had going for him.

We love him, because he hit like a LBer, he was our surest tackler, and probably the team leader in tackles for a loss. But if that's gone.... and we have no reason to believe it isn't... why over pay him?

We didn't like overpaying free agents to come here, and not play up to their contracts, why would we be okay with over paying for Dunta?

I'm not with it.... he's got to go, and we need to find CBs better than Dunta. The good ones are hard to find anyway, so to find one better than Dunta (who IMHO is avg) isn't going to be easy. But I'd rather pay Webster & O'neal avg money, sign Demeco & Owen, then look for a big time corner later.

Think about it. If we do draft a first round corner next year (which I think we should have done this year) We'd have a crap load of money in that position, if we keep Dunta Robinson..... who isn't worth the money.
The Texans were being more than nice so don't anyone give me any BS. This is not at you TK.

Last edited by gary; 08-05-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2009   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's going to sit out TC and the preseason games, miss all the reps under a new defensive system, and even if he does come back for game 1 of the regular season, do any of you think he's going to be worth anything on the field, much less 10 million, which he's not worth to even begin with?
He'd still be the best CB on the Texans. We need him out there. Love him or hate him, dude can play and be a big part of our D.

You're an interesting study, Marcus. Outsourcing our manufacturing base to China? Don't sweat it. Football player holds out? ANGER! SMASH THINGS!
Old 08-05-2009   #30
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OKAY, but in order to come to camp, he has to sign his tender, right? So, if he blows out his knee the following day after he comes to camp, he's not S. O. L. He gets the 10 million.

Right?
For these guys the $10 million isn't enough. They need the $25 million guaranteed. Not sure what the extra jack can get you, though. Nicer rims?

He's worried that signing the tender now and getting hurt could hurt him financially? Imagine if he got injured working out without signing the tender. Wouldn't that hurt ya, Dunta?
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #31
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not on the forgiveness bandwagon with Dunta.

I think I'd rather have John McLain playing corner for us than DRob.

As for him being the best corner we'd have on the team, I'm not sold on him being a good corner before he got injured let alone post injury.

Good run support corner are nice and all, and that is what Dunta was, but I don't think you pay run support corners big money. You pay cover corners big money and that is definately not Dunta.
Old 08-05-2009   #32
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

That would be one of my biggest questions to Smith right now. How long is he going to wait for Dunta to sign the franchise tender? The Texans can cut him at any time. If I'm the Texans GM I would give Dunta a deadline, if he doesn't sign it by that date I would drop the franchise tag. I would not pay him 10 million to skip the first four games or so (which is about how many games it would probably take him to get game ready). Dunta is not worth ten million a year, much less 10 million for 3/4 of a year.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #33
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? He signed the 1-year tender after he was franchised. His 10 million is guaranteed whether he gets hurt in training camp or not.

He's going to sit out TC and the preseason games, miss all the reps under a new defensive system, and even if he does come back for game 1 of the regular season, do any of you think he's going to be worth anything on the field, much less 10 million, which he's not worth to even begin with?

And as much as I detest these "Fire the head coach" threads, if he comes back after missing all of training camp and preseason, and if Kubiak is stupid enough to play him, and he gets lit up, I'll frick'n start a damn "Fire Kubiak" thread myself.

I want Rick Smith to get rid of this POS in the worst way. Hopefully he's trying to make it happen.

Sounds like you need to calm down. Season hasn't even started. I'd rather one of our best CB stay uninjuried JMHO
Old 08-05-2009   #34
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta has become the most overrated corner in the league. He plays the run and pass well but isn't a top 10 corner. He was just the best db we had. That doesn't say much. I'm off the dunta train, if he comes, great. If not, to hell with him. Hopefully our pass rush makes it easier on all our db's. Lets HOPE the front seven protects the back four. Nothing more to say about dunta from here on out.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #35
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
Sounds like you need to calm down. Season hasn't even started. I'd rather one of our best CB stay uninjuried JMHO
What would you say if missed a few games? He stated before he would and being he is doing one on workouts he might not be as sharp come day one. You are still my main man I'm just saying.
Old 08-05-2009   #36
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
That would be one of my biggest questions to Smith right now. How long is he going to wait for Dunta to sign the franchise tender? The Texans can cut him at any time. If I'm the Texans GM I would give Dunta a deadline, if he doesn't sign it by that date I would drop the franchise tag. I would not pay him 10 million to skip the first four games or so (which is about how many games it would probably take him to get game ready). Dunta is not worth ten million a year, much less 10 million for 3/4 of a year.
It would be interesting to see how this would play out. Another team could swoop in and sign him to a long term deal - but it wouldn't be for the kind of money that he is looking for.

Even before the last round of injuries, I don't think that it makes sense for the Texans to play this hand. I won't argue that he isn't one of the Top 5 - but he is the best we currently have on the roster and we need him to play well to get to the next level. Even if Dunta has an issue with the front office - he has all the incentive to have a good year to get paid next year.

I don't know if there is a way to sign him, but deactivate him and not have to pay the portion of his salary for games that he isn't active to play - that would be the best case scenario for the Texans...and the ultimate FU move by the Texans.

Ultimately, sitting out all of camp and slowly getting into form during the regular season hurts Dunta (and possibly his image with other teams). If he were to show up at camp this week, sign his tender (and make his money this season), publically criticize the front office but state that he showed up for his team and the fans, have a good season and sign with another team - that would be his best case scenario...and the utlimate FU move by Dunta.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
For these guys the $10 million isn't enough. They need the $25 million guaranteed. Not sure what the extra jack can get you, though. Nicer rims?

He's worried that signing the tender now and getting hurt could hurt him financially? Imagine if he got injured working out without signing the tender. Wouldn't that hurt ya, Dunta?
You know, I've been thinking about why a player would turn down $10 million for one year.

Maybe he's afraid he'll get hurt and will be done once the $10 million is paid out. And maybe Dunta is in debt and needs more than $10 million. Fast.

Was his home invasion just a home invasion of the garden variety, or was there something more to it? A message being sent?

Go ahead and flame me. I know I'll get it.

But this is beginning to come off as being more than just trying to put one over on the evil Texans management. With the way pro players are getting exposed for a variety of problems (both big and small) we can't act like there's not more than meets the eye.

We always act so surprised when something crops up (like the Steve McNair's death) as if it was just so out of character. Not sayin', just sayin'...
Old 08-05-2009   #38
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
It would be interesting to see how this would play out. Another team could swoop in and sign him to a long term deal - but it wouldn't be for the kind of money that he is looking for.

Even before the last round of injuries, I don't think that it makes sense for the Texans to play this hand. I won't argue that he isn't one of the Top 5 - but he is the best we currently have on the roster and we need him to play well to get to the next level. Even if Dunta has an issue with the front office - he has all the incentive to have a good year to get paid next year.

I don't know if there is a way to sign him, but deactivate him and not have to pay the portion of his salary for games that he isn't active to play - that would be the best case scenario for the Texans...and the ultimate FU move by the Texans.

Ultimately, sitting out all of camp and slowly getting into form during the regular season hurts Dunta (and possibly his image with other teams). If he were to show up at camp this week, sign his tender (and make his money this season), publically criticize the front office but state that he showed up for his team and the fans, have a good season and sign with another team - that would be his best case scenario...and the utlimate FU move by Dunta.
It's my understanding that he can sign the tender whenever he wants to and still get his 10 mil this year. If he shows up for game one ready to play I won't have any problem with it, but I'm just wondering where will the Texans draw the line? If Dunta doesn't want to sign until game 6, will the Texans FO pay him 10 mil a game? Have a deadline, if he doesn't sign by that deadline release him.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #39
gary
Hall of Fame

This one is for you Dunte man I hope you like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVBvy2cc0Io

Last edited by gary; 08-05-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2009   #40
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
He is being an asshat he would get the ten million and is missing valeable TC time. I think he has already said he would sit out for some of season. I say get rid of his ass he should be there OD and Demeco are both there despite not being happy. Donte is a baby who is unproven after a big injury. Wait untill we see if he shows up for the first game? I'm sorry but I don't think he will be. If not, that will be the last draw for me with him and I'll say this he says he still wants to be a Texan then show it DONTE.

must spread rep......blah...I tried Gary.

And yes, he is being an asshat. Just not used to you saying stuff like that. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read