Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2009   #181
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You can't do that. It is based on the position he has been playing.
My next though is this: People keep talking about 'Chris Gamble money', is that a fan assessment based on the fast that a top-5 CB income is roughly what Chris Gamble is getting, or has that frase actually been used by 'insiders'?

So the Texans offered him top-5 money, Safety money, but we, the fans and media believe that the top-5 money is CB money... then that would explain why D-rob is so pissy.

Again, this is VERY speculative!
Old 08-07-2009   #182
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
My next though is this: People keep talking about 'Chris Gamble money', is that a fan assessment based on the fast that a top-5 CB income is roughly what Chris Gamble is getting, or has that frase actually been used by 'insiders'?

So the Texans offered him top-5 money, Safety money, but we, the fans and media believe that the top-5 money is CB money... then that would explain why D-rob is so pissy.

Again, this is VERY speculative!
Gamble signed a contract this off-season. It made him one of the top 5 paid CB's not necessarily a top 5 skill CB. McClain started the Gamble comparisons (don't recall there being any insider info at the time) because they are of similar age, arguably similar talent level and were both up for new contracts and then that became a common topic of conversation both by pundits and fans. Don't recall there ever being any discussion of safety money.
Old 08-07-2009   #183
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I know what type of player Dunte was before his injury so it's not like I don't want him on the field. He might not ever be the player he once was preinjury and he knows that. Why not go for your next big pay day for one last time? He'll probably still be a ligit starter. If wants to explore other options after this season then that would be out of the control of the Texans. He wants the tag off to look elsewhere I say do it because he might loose interest because he does want the tag off. That would leave the Texans having to draft a replacement CB anyway if he were to go elsewhere. No matter what kind of draft class it is for cb's you may always groom them and you might not have an option if Dunte leaves. If he signs a long term deal after this and is happy and plays with the same love he had in his rookie season than I'll be quite happy with it.
Old 08-07-2009   #184
Ckw

Quote:
Gamble signed a contract this off-season. It made him one of the top 5 paid CB's not necessarily a top 5 skill CB. McClain started the Gamble comparisons (don't recall there being any insider info at the time) because they are of similar age, arguably similar talent level and were both up for new contracts and then that became a common topic of conversation both by pundits and fans. Don't recall there ever being any discussion of safety money.
I'm just wondering how many of the Dunta supporters would honestly take Dunta over Chris Gamble.

Total Stats: Dunta - 329 tackles, 275 solo, 4 sacks, 45 pass deflections, 13 INTs

Gamble - 355 tackles, 311 solo, 1 sack, 46 pass deflections, 20 INTs

They have played the same number of seasons although Gamble has played at least 15 games every season. The only area Dunta is better than Gamble are in pass deflections. You could say sacks but 3 of Dunta's sacks came in that rookie season when he had Aaron Glenn opposite of him.

The point is if Dunta got offered anything even close to Gamble's contract, Dunta is a fool to have turned it down.
Old 08-07-2009   #185
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I'm just wondering how many of the Dunta supporters would honestly take Dunta over Chris Gamble.
That would be an interesting poll - head's up this year, same contract for either, who do you take?
Old 08-07-2009   #186
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta just called me on my cell and said he will be on field for game 1. "Don't want to miss a check". Does not expect any heat from "his boys" in the D but is a bit ticked at some of the fans comments as he does read this MB frequently. I asked him about his injury and he said "Did I ask you about yours?" and hung up.

I gotta go as Obama is on my cell now. Something about having a beer and clearing up this silly economy thing. I'll update you on anything I can.
Old 08-07-2009   #187
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That would be an interesting poll - head's up this year, same contract for either, who do you take?
I know this wasn't for me but, at 6'1" and 200 lbs and didn't have the massive injury Dunta did it shouldn't be much of a contest. Gamble was athletically raw out of OSU but has rounded off into a solid corner.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2009   #188
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814
Quote:

Total Stats: Dunta - 329 tackles, 275 solo, 4 sacks, 45 pass deflections, 13 INTs

Gamble - 355 tackles, 311 solo, 1 sack, 46 pass deflections, 20 INTs

They have played the same number of seasons although Gamble has played at least 15 games every season. The only area Dunta is better than Gamble are in pass deflections. You could say sacks but 3 of Dunta's sacks came in that rookie season when he had Aaron Glenn opposite of him.

The point is if Dunta got offered anything even close to Gamble's contract, Dunta is a fool to have turned it down.
I'll take Gamble. I didn't know that was an option.

=====================

I don't know I'm so much a Dunta supporter as I think it's short-sighted to throw away the best option the Texans have available at cornerback because we're mad at him. I think Dunta should sign the tender and play.
Old 08-07-2009   #189
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'll take Gamble. I didn't know that was an option.

I don't know I'm so much a Dunta supported as I think it's short-sighted to throw away the best option the Texans have available at cornerback because we're mad at him.
I agree. I am the type of person that might get mad at you easily but will forgive you just as quickly. I know I would be willing to let my beef with Dunta go if he shows up with the same passion as he had pre-injury and demonstrates that he wants to play here. Right now, he is the best option the Texans have at cornerback, but my hope is that Quinn, Bennett, McCain, or Molden can take up the mantle. We will see.

Anyway, I started a poll on whether you would take Dunta or Chris Gamble. I did this because if we can believe the reports that Dunta was offered Chris Gamble type money, should he have jumped on the offer or is he actually better than Gamble and deserves more money.

Thanks for the idea Icak.
Old 08-07-2009   #190
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I agree. I am the type of person that might get mad at you easily but will forgive you just as quickly. I know I would be willing to let my beef with Dunta go if he shows up with the same passion as he had pre-injury and demonstrates that he wants to play here. Right now, he is the best option the Texans have at cornerback, but my hope is that Quinn, Bennett, McCain, or Molden can take up the mantle. We will see.

Anyway, I started a poll on whether you would take Dunta or Chris Gamble. I did this because if we can believe the reports that Dunta was offered Chris Gamble type money, should he have jumped on the offer or is he actually better than Gamble and deserves more money.

Thanks for the idea Icak.
Agree. I've said this in my post earlier that this is how I'll judge Dunte this season if plays with the same love and plays hard I'll be all for signing him to a long term deal if he wants to but if he'd rather go snoop around on the market then let him go.

Last edited by gary; 08-08-2009 at 12:55 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read