Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

Link

I flip open the morning paper, and get out the sports section, and the bold headline says . . .

All's forgiven, Dunta

. . . on top of a photo of Reeves laying on the field in pain from a broken leg.

So Mr. John McClain expects us all to forget the fact that he actually turned down an outrageous offer, way way more money than he's worth, and then threaten to sit out part of the season for being paid in the top 5 of the league . . .

. . . just because someone else playing in his position gets hurt?

There must be a fire sale somewhere on unmitigated gall these days.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "All's forgiven, Dunta" ??????????????

That's beyond the pale.

Wrong on so many levels, IMO.
Old 08-05-2009   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

No class
Old 08-05-2009   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever. Dunta is NOT forgiven in my mind, and I hope he doesn't show up at all this year. I'd just as soon see the rookies (whose job it's going to be someday anyways) and the emergency stop gap free agents we sign take up the slack, and of course our other guys when they get back from their injuries.

We are desperate right now for cornerbacks, and I'm sure Dunta will come back at some time and play for us. When he does the secondary will most likely be better for it, but it doesn't mean I still won't be pissed at him and rooting for someone to take his place.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #5
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, how about, "Damn, Jacques, sorry you're injured. Hope you get better soon. Thanks for working hard in training camp unlike some people."
J. Sean Wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #6
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everyone is reading too much into everything. Think about this. He has been franchised so hes playing this year for one years money. He has no future money coming to him. If he gets hurt during training camp he's just S - O - L. You might think that is selfish and this and that and he should have the common decency to be out there etc... but would you? I don't think I would put my self in a situation where I could get hurt before the season starts and have a possibility of getting hurt. We have to remember yeah this is a game and might be the greatest game but in the end NFL is a bussiness and players are in the bussiness of getting paid. My Opinion I'm not mad at him or do I think he needs forgiveness, I will be mad when we come into our game against the Jets and then he's not shown up. Untill then give the guy a break and let some of the rookies, back ups etc... get some reps and let him stay healthy
Old 08-05-2009   #7
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
I think everyone is reading too much into everything. Think about this. He has been franchised so hes playing this year for one years money. He has no future money coming to him. If he gets hurt during training camp he's just S - O - L. You might think that is selfish and this and that and he should have the common decency to be out there etc... but would you? I don't think I would put my self in a situation where I could get hurt before the season starts and have a possibility of getting hurt. We have to remember yeah this is a game and might be the greatest game but in the end NFL is a bussiness and players are in the bussiness of getting paid. My Opinion I'm not mad at him or do I think he needs forgiveness, I will be mad when we come into our game against the Jets and then he's not shown up. Untill then give the guy a break and let some of the rookies, back ups etc... get some reps and let him stay healthy
I'm not really mad at Dunta, but I think it's crappy to act like Reeves hasn't been out there busting his butt and to not show him any love right now. To just be, another faceless player down, let's throw money at the faceless player that we've been hating and act like there are no hungry faceless players ready to help at this moment. Mainly, I'm just upset that Reeves is hurt, human, and getting no love in this news story. It's the obvious story, but c'mon, try another angle. Don't tap into the Dunta hype right now.
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2009   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Sean Wonton View Post
I'm not really mad at Dunta, but I think it's crappy to act like Reeves hasn't been out there busting his butt and to not show him any love right now. To just be, another faceless player down, let's throw money at the faceless player that we've been hating and act like there are no hungry faceless players ready to help at this moment. Mainly, I'm just upset that Reeves is hurt, human, and getting no love in this news story.
Rep your way.
Old 08-05-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think John McClain writes his own headlines. Headlines are supposed to attract the eyes and I really don't see an article with JM being a hypocrite here.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
I thought when he signs the one-year tender...which is like almost $10 million...that it's guaranteed money. Injury or no injury.

If we worked a long-term deal with Dunta, I don't think he'd see a $10 million signing or roster bonus off of it.

Someone help me out if I'm wrong on this, but I think Dunta can sign and get the one-year $9.whatever million. And if he gets hurt, he still is going to collect it all season long. Correct?

I think Dunta has burned bridges, guys.
Old 08-05-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think John McClain writes his own headlines. Headlines are supposed to attract the eyes and I really don't see an article with JM being a hypocrite here.
Correct. There's a separate staff person who writes headlines. Usually one of the editors or someone who places the copy for publication (the one who trims it for length and content, etc.).

Whoever wrote that headline didn't fully think through the connotations, or they are just a sensationalist writer trying to grab attention. Headlines are supposed to do that, but there's a fine line in terms of taste.
Old 08-05-2009   #12
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You're probably right, and I can't assign blame to anyone in particular. The story itself is pretty straightforward, but I sense something like here's the setup, Reeves, here's the big issue, Dunta, here's why it's important, rookies.
Old 08-05-2009   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm..so what's the problem? Yeah Dunta's been acting like an ass & reeves has been out there but let's be honest, if dunta wanted to come back right now and played his ass off, i could care less.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #14
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Umm..so what's the problem? Yeah Dunta's been acting like an ass & reeves has been out there but let's be honest, if dunta wanted to come back right now and played his ass off, i could care less.
The problem is this: give Reeves an article about how hard he's been working, what this set back means to him, his plans for returning, etc., etc. Kind of like the article Dunta got under similar circumstances. They didn't do a by the way Dunta's hurt, here's some crap he said, but the real issue is we need a real, big time CB brought onto this team from free agency because what we have is crap. If I'm Jacques, I'm thinking, "Thanks a lot." I'm pretty sure when Jacques was giving those quotes he wasn't expecting it to be a Dunta story.

Last edited by J. Sean Wonton; 08-05-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2009   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good post, man. I feel the same way. It's just business, and certainly nothing to get emotional about until that first game that counts.

I think the headline is attempting to be cheeky.
Old 08-05-2009   #16
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell no.......
My quote would have been........get your ass in camp now and sign the dang tender.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has no future money coming to him. If he gets hurt during training camp he's just S - O - L.
What the hell are you talking about? He signed the 1-year tender after he was franchised. His 10 million is guaranteed whether he gets hurt in training camp or not.

He's going to sit out TC and the preseason games, miss all the reps under a new defensive system, and even if he does come back for game 1 of the regular season, do any of you think he's going to be worth anything on the field, much less 10 million, which he's not worth to even begin with?

And as much as I detest these "Fire the head coach" threads, if he comes back after missing all of training camp and preseason, and if Kubiak is stupid enough to play him, and he gets lit up, I'll frick'n start a damn "Fire Kubiak" thread myself.

I want Rick Smith to get rid of this POS in the worst way. Hopefully he's trying to make it happen.
Old 08-05-2009   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
What the hell are you talking about? He signed the 1-year tender after he was franchised. His 10 million is guaranteed whether he gets hurt in training camp or not.

He's going to sit out TC and the preseason games, miss all the reps under a new defensive system, and even if he does come back for game 1 of the regular season, do any of you think he's going to be worth anything on the field, much less 10 million, which he's not worth to even begin with?

And as much as I detest these "Fire the head coach" threads, if he comes back after missing all of training camp and preseason, and if Kubiak is stupid enough to play him, and he gets lit up, I'll frick'n start a damn "Fire Kubiak" thread myself.

I want Rick Smith to get rid of this POS in the worst way. Hopefull he's trying to make it happen.
Sorry, but he has not signed his tender.
Old 08-05-2009   #19
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Okay, Dunta is a business man. I'm not mad at him, but I don't want to read stories about him. I don't read stories about business men. I read stories about football players. Business men are boring.
Old 08-05-2009   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sorry, but he has not signed his tender.
OKAY, but in order to come to camp, he has to sign his tender, right? So, if he blows out his knee the following day after he comes to camp, he's not S. O. L. He gets the 10 million.

Right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read