Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2009   #41
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myers Down

HPF.com got shut down a while ago. I think the message board here kind of usurped the need there. They were a great source of information and had some great articles.

And nice to see you here... these are a hospitable bunch. I made the jump about 2 yrs ago.

Mike

*EDIT* I didn't realize keith was still writing. Cool to know.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #42
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope Myers is alright but it doesn't sound good hearing about the scream. I read he put on 10-15 lbs and I was looking forward to seeing him in action.

On another note, is Kubiak angry because both sides of the ball were sloppy today or did the defense get the best of the offense again? I keep reading about how well the D is looking and I wonder if Kubiak is expecting the offense to cruise a bit more easily?
Old 08-04-2009   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Hopefully not serious. Let's see what the Caldwell kid has in the meantime. Hey Vinny, I used to see you on the HPF.com website. What happened to that site? Anyway, hope Myers is OK, God knows we need to avoid injuries.
nice to see you around. Ric ran the HPF site but didn't continue it but Keith still blogs on at inthebullseye and actually has the twitter bug to boot.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #44
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been a Caldwell-soon type guy but this isn't how I wanted it to go. Myers is a decent enough guy to play I just think his game has a big hole. Hopefully Caldwell can shine in this opportunity. He's got as much shot to step in and do well now as any rookie.

I hope all is well, ankle injuries are tough on the big fellas.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #45
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
his son didn't have a good early year...why read and respond to all the negative stuff if you are related? It doesnt help any.
Signed,
Hulk75
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Maybe on calls but I'll go with my broken record , throw down answer . If you can play at a high level in the SEC ... you can play .
Caldwell play well for the Tides, but he did not play at a high level consistently to be a starter in the NFL yet, from what I saw he played at Alabama.

That line worked well because of Andre Smith and Mike Johnson (a Jr LG, Pro Football Weekly First Team All-American last year, pre-season All SEC this year) more than due to Caldwell, I am sorry to say.

The best SEC Center, IMO, might have been one of the Pouncey twins at Fla; he was a Soph.

If you watch enough Alabama football, you would hear the announcers often mentioning about their ability to run off-LG or off-LT.
The RT D. Davis was a Jr and was pretty good (team offensive player of the week twice, team Iron Man Award last year, Offensive Lineman Award in Spring game 2009).
The RG M. Davis was a Sr and played quite decent (got a couple of workouts for NFL teams, signed with the Browns but later left the team for some unknown reason).
And then, there was Glen Coffee who manufactured some yards on his own.
The other RB Mark Ingram wasn't too shabby either. Upchurch, too, until he got hurt.
Their QB was JP Wilson, a Sr with 3 yr starting experience.
He was a smart QB who can make quick decision.
He's not VY, but can be pretty mobile to avoid the rush.
They also had good receivers.
Watch for Julio Jones this year. Their TE Walker was also pretty decent. And the small WR Maze, too.
So Caldwell was helped a lot by his teammates.

The good thing is that he's still raw in techniques.
The sooner he can learn to improve his techniques (both hands and footwork), the sooner he can raise his game.
How soon, we don't know. But here's his chance!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Maybe White is all that. Maybe Caldwell is all that... I don't know.

I know Myers had issues, but personally, I would feel better knowing that we'll be building on what we did last year, than starting all over with a "new" center.

We're still developing on all 5 OL positions, with maybe the exception of LG. I don't think we need a new center now.

Nothing against Caldwell, but we haven't established a foundation on OL yet.
Old 08-04-2009   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

2008 Alabama vs LSU just starting on CBS C

if you got Dish network
Old 08-05-2009   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anybody watch the news tonight?
I thought I saw Myers walking?
Old 08-05-2009   #50
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Did anybody watch the news tonight?
I thought I saw Myers walking?
I saw him walking on the video from ht.com. in a boot but walking, they called it a 'high ankle sprain'
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Channel 13 just reported that Myers' injury is not severe!
2-4 weeks off-time expected!
Old 08-05-2009   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak (morning practice)

(on when the team will know how long C Chris Myers will be out) "Well those high ankles (sprains), I don't think you know. You'll see two weeks, you'll see four weeks. With Chris, I'd work more towards the short end, but that's just me knowing him. I had Chris in Denver, he had a high ankle sprain in Denver on me, when I think he was a rookie. That's one of the reasons he made our team, his toughness that he pulled off in that camp. I know we can count on Chris, but I can't put at timetable on it."

(on whether C Chris Myers' injury would require surgery) "No, all indications are to me that he's fine and that we'll rest it, rehab it and get him back out there."

(on any additional health news from practice) "(TE James) Casey got kicked in the shin, and (RB Arian) Foster felt his hamstring tweak so we pulled him out."

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak (afternoon practice)

(on the injury status of RB Arian Foster) "He kind of tweaked his hamstring a little bit. We looked at it at lunch and it didn't look too severe, so day-to-day would probably be the best way to explain it."
Old 08-05-2009   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak (morning practice)

(on when the team will know how long C Chris Myers will be out) "Well those high ankles (sprains), I don't think you know. You'll see two weeks, you'll see four weeks. With Chris, I'd work more towards the short end, but that's just me knowing him. I had Chris in Denver, he had a high ankle sprain in Denver on me, when I think he was a rookie. That's one of the reasons he made our team, his toughness that he pulled off in that camp. I know we can count on Chris, but I can't put at timetable on it."

(on whether C Chris Myers' injury would require surgery) "No, all indications are to me that he's fine and that we'll rest it, rehab it and get him back out there."

(on any additional health news from practice) "(TE James) Casey got kicked in the shin, and (RB Arian) Foster felt his hamstring tweak so we pulled him out."

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak (afternoon practice)

(on the injury status of RB Arian Foster) "He kind of tweaked his hamstring a little bit. We looked at it at lunch and it didn't look too severe, so day-to-day would probably be the best way to explain it."
Thanks

Great News

I have always thought Myers is going to have a good year this year.

He's a sound technician who added 20lbs of muscle this offseason.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #54
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Caldwell play well for the Tides, but he did not play at a high level consistently to be a starter in the NFL yet, from what I saw he played at Alabama.

That line worked well because of Andre Smith and Mike Johnson (a Jr LG, Pro Football Weekly First Team All-American last year, pre-season All SEC this year) more than due to Caldwell, I am sorry to say.

The best SEC Center, IMO, might have been one of the Pouncey twins at Fla; he was a Soph.

If you watch enough Alabama football, you would hear the announcers often mentioning about their ability to run off-LG or off-LT.
The RT D. Davis was a Jr and was pretty good (team offensive player of the week twice, team Iron Man Award last year, Offensive Lineman Award in Spring game 2009).
The RG M. Davis was a Sr and played quite decent (got a couple of workouts for NFL teams, signed with the Browns but later left the team for some unknown reason).
And then, there was Glen Coffee who manufactured some yards on his own.
The other RB Mark Ingram wasn't too shabby either. Upchurch, too, until he got hurt.
Their QB was JP Wilson, a Sr with 3 yr starting experience.
He was a smart QB who can make quick decision.
He's not VY, but can be pretty mobile to avoid the rush.
They also had good receivers.
Watch for Julio Jones this year. Their TE Walker was also pretty decent. And the small WR Maze, too.
So Caldwell was helped a lot by his teammates.

The good thing is that he's still raw in techniques.
The sooner he can learn to improve his techniques (both hands and footwork), the sooner he can raise his game.
How soon, we don't know. But here's his chance!
Interesting take here 76!

Something I keep wondering though, scouts like to project guys and don't always go by production necessarily, especially if all the "NFL tools" are there, specifically in respect to the ZBS. I would be more interested in how Caldwell looked in the zone-blocking plays rather than power-blocking.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Interesting take here 76!

Something I keep wondering though, scouts like to project guys and don't always go by production necessarily, especially if all the "NFL tools" are there, specifically in respect to the ZBS. I would be more interested in how Caldwell looked in the zone-blocking plays rather than power-blocking.
The Tides run a mix of power and zone; more zone I'm pretty sure!

Some of the "tools" for a ZBS man is agility and quickness, and I'm not sure Caldwell has enough of those.

Now that he's off the books, he has a lot more time for those agility drills, and we'll see him improve in those areas, by how much, I don't know.
Old 08-06-2009   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks

Great News

I'll settle for 10!
Old 08-06-2009   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

me too
Old 08-06-2009   #58
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Thanks

Great News

That's interesting. I haven't heard anything about Myers gaining any weight, let alone 20 lbs. Where did you hear/read that?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #59
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Channel 13 just reported that Myers' injury is not severe!
2-4 weeks off-time expected!
That's good news!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #60
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
That's interesting. I haven't heard anything about Myers gaining any weight, let alone 20 lbs. Where did you hear/read that?
GTexan (Post no.11 of this thread)

I think I also read it on the HT.com site.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read