Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2009   #21
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2cnd highest payed CB??

If, big IF this is true just adds to the idea that it's not the money but, Dunta just wants out of Houston.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nobody actually knows what Dunta was offered or how the verbiage of the contract read. It's all speculation if you ask me.
Dunta and the Texans know what was offered, and both camps are more than capable of leaking information. Perhaps even accurate information.

While I realize the $23 Million signing bonus, and the #2 highest paid CB in the league may or may not be the case, the fact that the numbers reported as "According to sources" are pretty consistent makes me very open to the idea that there's some validity to them.

Besides, the numbers have been floating out there for months, and given what his current mindset appears to be, I don't think Dunta would have any problem in calling out the "Sources" if they were artificially inflated.
Old 08-04-2009   #23
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

On 610 this morning Gil Brandt also said that Dunta was offered that contract. I sure wish he wanted to be here, but it's apparent that he doesn't. If he wanted to be here, he would say yes sir Mr. Smith, and Coach Kubiak where do I sign? I'll show you that I deserve a long term deal. I will miss the Dunta that wanted to be here, but not the one that doesn't.
Old 08-04-2009   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Daunta was never the player he thought he was. I've been saying that for years.

And that's basically why Dunta needs to get out the door as soon as possible. We all almost to a man loved watching Dunta play ball but the man has never lived up to his rookie campaign which as the years go by appears to be more a result of playing opposite Aaron Glenn and in front of Marcus Coleman than of any "shutdown" ability that Robinson brings to the team.

The defense plays better when he's on the field because he brings his famous "attitude" but that's not exactly a rare thing. It's not hard to find a mediocre corner who hits hard and brings a swagger with him on the field because he thinks he's Bailey or Asomugha.

We'll get that attitude from other players this year and going forward. We'll run some combination of Reeves, Bennett, and Mouldin out there and we'll be fine. Dunta wants to be somewhere else.
Old 08-04-2009   #25
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

If Rick Smith did Dunta's contract like he has done Ahman Green's, Antoine Smith's, Jacque Reeve's, Matt Schaub's, etc, he has made it where it is very high pay per year with very little guaranteed money. If you go back and look at those, all of them pretty much just guarantee the first year money and maybe a little more, but pay the player a very nice amount in comparison with their peers on other teams. I suspect that Smith learned a lot about being in cap h3ll from guaranteeing too much to guys. I bet that is the same reason that OD and Demeco are not happy with their offers as well.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #26
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For a while now, I've sensed Dunta doesn't want to be here.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

No one but the Texans, Dunta, and his agent really know what the contract offer entailed. Not Vic Carucci. Not John McCain. Not anyone who posts here. How people can make assumptions based on zero knowledge continues to amaze me.
Old 08-04-2009   #28
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No one but the Texans, Dunta, and his agent really know what the contract offer entailed. Not Vic Carucci. Not John McCain. Not anyone who posts here. How people can make assumptions based on zero knowledge continues to amaze me.
There is one assumption we can make with confidence , if Dunta wanted to be here there would not be anything that could stop him .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #29
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

If this IS true, my confidence in this FO drops a little bit. I mean why in hell would you take a player who missed a full calander year of football, who didn't show he was 100% when he came back, and then try to make him the 2nd highest paid player at his position?

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #30
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

This is all weird to me really. Dunta never struck me as the prima donna type to sit out of camp because the FO wouldn't offer him elite corner money for the long term but hey I could be wrong. I'd rather hear his version before I join the "GTFO Dunta" so forgive me for not bashing the Dunta pinata, or the Dunata as I like to say. Unless it has beer in it of course ...
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't care what the actual numbers were. Like a lot of you, I think there was a deal to be made, but it takes both sides coming together. I think it's obvious that DROB has started believing his own press and thinks he's much better than he actually is. Being the BEST CB on this team the last few years is NOT something to get overly excited about and start making outrageous contract demands over. I also think Mr. McNair has had a bellyfull of paying big $$ for mediocre performance and, with DROB still coming back from MAJOR injury, probably has Smith on a shorter leash than before. It's Smith's job to look out for the team on these things. I'll have to look up Keith and see where we sit, capwise, over the next few years.

Oh yeah- I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when I hear a bunch " I was disrespected" crap. The NFL is a business and it's played by big boys who play hard. On the field AND in the front office. Deal with it or go home. If nearly $10 MILLION isn't enough "respect", you have issues.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #32
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

i just don't understand how the guy is upset in the first place. He is getting a guarenteed top 5 cb pay this year while he is proving that he can still play as a top line corner. In my opinion, as much as I like what he brings to the table with his fire, he isn't a top 5 corner in the league. Never has been. Why the guy won't take the franchise tag money, show the FO what he's got and then get a contract done by mid season if he shows he can still go. I honestly would be pissed with the Texans if they gave this guy a huge multi year contract off of what he showed us last season. He needs a new agent who can be real with him and tell him what this is all about. Kudos to Smith and FO for holding steady. 9/mil this year is way over market value for that guy and he shoud jump on it. multi year deal or not, show us that you are worth 9 mil first.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #33
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's Smith's job to look out for the team on these things. I'll have to look up Keith and see where we sit, capwise, over the next few years.

Oh yeah- I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT when I hear a bunch " I was disrespected" crap. The NFL is a business and it's played by big boys who play hard. On the field AND in the front office. Deal with it or go home. If nearly $10 MILLION isn't enough "respect", you have issues.

It is Smith's job to look out for the team. Since we assume all rumors are true around here, let's assume Dunta would have signed the franchse tag had they promised not to franchise him next year. I think even John McClain reported that. Smith refused that concession. Now Dunta may end up costing more this year. If Smith wasn't beyond reproach*, this would almost start to look like a bad decision.

Has Dunta said he was disrespected? I don't like that either, but this is a new addition to the saga that I haven't heard yet.

*I said "if". We all know that is an outlandish premise.

P.S. I think he should sign the franchise offer with or without the concession from the team. In fact, I'd say guarantee you'll franchise me next year.
Old 08-04-2009   #34
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It is Smith's job to look out for the team. Since we assume all rumors are true around here, let's assume Dunta would have signed the franchse tag had they promised not to franchise him next year. I think even John McClain reported that. Smith refused that concession. Now Dunta may end up costing more this year. If Smith wasn't beyond reproach*, this would almost start to look like a bad decision.

Has Dunta said he was disrespected? I don't like that either, but this is a new addition to the saga that I haven't heard yet.

P.S. I think he should sign the franchise offer with or without the concession from the team. In fact, I'd say guarantee you'll franchise me next year.
Dunta said he was disrespected by Smith Franchising him after Smith said he wouldn't. I'm trying to find a link on right now. I'm not sure what you mean by Dunta costing more this year. I think he either signs the tender or sits out the season. He might cost more NEXT year if he doesn't sign a long term contract with us. Regardless, IMO, Dunta is putting Cadillac pricetags on Chevrolet performance. He might be a one owner Chevy Corvette, but the CarFax report has a wreck on it. Sorry. Just bought the wife a new car.
Old 08-04-2009   #35
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Dunta said he was disrespected by Smith Franchising him after Smith said he wouldn't. I'm trying to find a link on right now. I'm not sure what you mean by Dunta costing more this year. I think he either signs the tender or sits out the season. He might cost more NEXT year if he doesn't sign a long term contract with us. Regardless, IMO, Dunta is putting Cadillac pricetags on Chevrolet performance. He might be a one owner Chevy Corvette, but the CarFax report has a wreck on it. Sorry. Just bought the wife a new car.

I know he said they lied to him, wasn't treated in good faith, or something like that. I'd like to see the quote where he said "disrespected".
Old 08-05-2009   #36
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
If Rick Smith did Dunta's contract like he has done Ahman Green's, Antoine Smith's, Jacque Reeve's, Matt Schaub's, etc, he has made it where it is very high pay per year with very little guaranteed money. If you go back and look at those, all of them pretty much just guarantee the first year money and maybe a little more, but pay the player a very nice amount in comparison with their peers on other teams. I suspect that Smith learned a lot about being in cap h3ll from guaranteeing too much to guys. I bet that is the same reason that OD and Demeco are not happy with their offers as well.
I really think you hit the nail on the head on the whole issue for both Dunta, Owen, and Demeco. It's not the total money or the money per year but the guaranteed portion that has many players feeling cheated or maybe more accurately many agents feeling cheated. From what Ive seen around the league though, very rarely do teams pay that big guarantee money to keep a player, usually the big guaranteed money contracts are for FA players, aka desperation.
Old 08-05-2009   #37
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If this IS true, my confidence in this FO drops a little big. I mean why in hell would you take a player who missed a full calander year of football and didn't show he was 100% when he came back and then try to make him the 2nd highest paid player at his position?
If they were making DROB one of the highest paid CB's, then it was probably with low garaunteed money, and THAT could very well have been the sticking point. Teams can cancel a contract and only be on the hook for signing bonuses and the graunteed money in the contract. You could put out an offer of $10 billion dollars, but only make $10 million of it garaunteed. That's why garaunteed money is the most important part of a contract.
Old 08-05-2009   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
If this IS true, my confidence in this FO drops a little big. I mean why in hell would you take a player who missed a full calander year of football and didn't show he was 100% when he came back and then try to make him the 2nd highest paid player at his position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

OK, I've gone thru about a million articles and I can't find a "disrespected me" quote. After reading so many the last few months, I probably started attributing someone elses words for DROB's. I was wrong. I still hate that phrase, though.
Old 08-05-2009   #39
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
There is one assumption we can make with confidence , if Dunta wanted to be here there would not be anything that could stop him .
QFT Rep coming.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #40
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

count me in the camp that, while we dont know the exact amount, when you add all the pieces together (saying they wouldnt use the franchise tag, anybody that has any kind of inside info saying its top2/5/23 mill garunteed) , it seems the texans made dunta an excellent offer which they expected him to accept. he didnt & you have to ask why if its not money (which i dont believe it is)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read