Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2009   #1
San Antonio Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 San Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden coverSan Antonio Texan could be on the next Madden cover
Default 2cnd highest payed CB??

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...s&confirm=true

I am not one who stirs the pot, much, but I really found the comments in Vic Carucci's column very eye opening.

It does not mention anything about guarenteed moeny but the Texans offered to make D-rob the second highest payed corner in the league according to his soures.

Do you really think he wants to remain a texan?

Direct quote from the column -

Extra points
» The team's hierarchy isn't happy that Robinson is missing from camp, especially since, according to league sources, he has been offered a deal that would make him the NFL's second highest-paid player at his position. Robinson also is missing valuable work in Bush's new scheme.

Last edited by San Antonio Texan; 08-04-2009 at 10:32 AM.
San Antonio Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #2
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan
Default Re: 2cnd highest payed CB??

I guess he is shell shocked from getting robbed and wants to get out. Or doesn't like the coaches.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody actually knows what Dunta was offered or how the verbiage of the contract read. It's all speculation if you ask me.
Old 08-04-2009   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's really the case, then that puts a whole new spin on things.

I've been trying to say out of all the threads about Dunta's hold out because... that's just a part of the game I don't care about. If a guy wants a better deal, he's got to do what he's got to do. I'm not going to bust on someone who thinks he deserves more and tries to negotiate that.

But, to be offered 2nd best CB money and to turn it down? Of course he's pissed he got franchised. He's taking a pay cut to play for the average of the top 5 of his position. He's pissed because he thought Smith wasn't going to franchise him and he was going to have the opportunity to take less money to play for a playoff team.

Smith probably told him he wouldn't franchise him because he was sure that Dunta would take that offer in a heartbeat. Smith was probably shocked to get turned down for that.

IF that's the case.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans really did offer him that deal and he turned it down he is a damn fool. I wouldnt care if he ever suited up for the Texans again.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another bit of information to support my original assertion back in 2008 that Dunta wants out. I heard it from my source, and more and more, it looks like its true. This guy doesn't want to be a Texan. Time to cut bait

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ta#post1208095
Old 08-04-2009   #7
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nobody actually knows what Dunta was offered or how the verbiage of the contract read. It's all speculation if you ask me.
The thing that strikes me in what Carucci said was that "league sources" have indicated that the Texans offered him this type of money. What that means to me is that after Dumbta turned their offer down, the Texans franchised him and shopped him around. When teams found out what kind of money he turned down, the word spread to stay away from this guy because he wants too much money. I have to disagree it with you that it's all speculation. I have to agree totally with what gtexan02 has stated, that Dumbta simply doesn't want to be in Houston anymore. I think we all realize that by now.
Old 08-04-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
The thing that strikes me in what Carucci said was that "league sources" have indicated that the Texans offered him this type of money. What that means to me is that after Dumbta turned their offer down, the Texans franchised him and shopped him around. When teams found out what kind of money he turned down, the word spread to stay away from this guy because he wants too much money. I have to disagree it with you that it's all speculation. I have to agree totally with what gtexan02 has stated, that Dumbta simply doesn't want to be in Houston anymore. I think we all realize that by now.
His "league source" is probably McClain.
Old 08-04-2009   #9
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
His "league source" is probably McClain.
McClain is okay. He's just a little bit of a dope. He do think he has good sources within the Texans organization though.
Old 08-04-2009   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
McClain is okay. He's just a little bit of a dope. He do think he has good sources within the Texans organization though.
Overall, he is an interesting storyteller who has connection due to his time around the league. He is pretty mediocore with analysis and usually just parrots what people he trust tells him. My biggest issue with him is that he is not as good as he thinks he is, making him way too defensive about legitimate criticism of his work. I am positive he has sources within the texans who have leaked a dollar amount out through McClain.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Quote:
Overall, he is an interesting storyteller who has connection due to his time around the league. He is pretty mediocore with analysis and usually just parrots what people he trust tells him. My biggest issue with him is that he is not as good as he thinks he is, making him way too defensive about legitimate criticism of his work. I am positive he has sources within the texans who have leaked a dollar amount out through McClain.
The TEXANS went to the press? Is that whining?

If it is true that John will parrot trusted sources, he'd be a useful tool to slant things the teams way. Vague references to contract value without details of the structure come to mind.
Old 08-04-2009   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nice JBZ!!
Old 08-04-2009   #13
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen any contract numbers that I absolutely believe.

Dunta hasn't been offered the money he wants in order to stay in Houston. That's pretty much obvious. Whether it's because he wants out or because he wants more money, I don't know. Conjecture states that he's been offered a lot of money and conjecture states that he didn't sign his franchise tender because he wanted them to agree not to place the franchise tag on him again next year. Conjecture points to him wanting out of Houston.

Again, though, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that are conclusive.

I believe that we're a better defense when he's out there and I believe that the business side of things will get taken care of. I trust Rick Smith to do what he has to do in order to put the best team out there. Even if that team is minus Dunta, but plus a second for next year or something.
Old 08-04-2009   #14
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
I haven't seen any contract numbers that I absolutely believe.

Dunta hasn't been offered the money he wants in order to stay in Houston. That's pretty much obvious. Whether it's because he wants out or because he wants more money, I don't know. Conjecture states that he's been offered a lot of money and conjecture states that he didn't sign his franchise tender because he wanted them to agree not to place the franchise tag on him again next year. Conjecture points to him wanting out of Houston.

Again, though, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that are conclusive.

I believe that we're a better defense when he's out there and I believe that the business side of things will get taken care of. I trust Rick Smith to do what he has to do in order to put the best team out there. Even if that team is minus Dunta, but plus a second for next year or something.
There are much better CB's in the league than Dunta, if we are going to put more pressure this year on the opposing teams QB we don't need a complete shutdown corner. Unfortunately last year there was a lot of times that it we relied on coverage vs. pressure and didn't stunt/blitrz at all.

I'm hoping that this year we have more of a pressure defense and force bad thrown passes and get turnovers that way rather than hope we can pick up a shutdown corner.

In my view spend more on your performers and less on the flash in the pans.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If that's really the case, then that puts a whole new spin on things.

I've been trying to say out of all the threads about Dunta's hold out because... that's just a part of the game I don't care about. If a guy wants a better deal, he's got to do what he's got to do. I'm not going to bust on someone who thinks he deserves more and tries to negotiate that.

But, to be offered 2nd best CB money and to turn it down? Of course he's pissed he got franchised. He's taking a pay cut to play for the average of the top 5 of his position. He's pissed because he thought Smith wasn't going to franchise him and he was going to have the opportunity to take less money to play for a playoff team.

Smith probably told him he wouldn't franchise him because he was sure that Dunta would take that offer in a heartbeat. Smith was probably shocked to get turned down for that.

IF that's the case.
Of the speculations, this is the one which makes the most sense. If truly Dunta wanted to be a Texan, there was a deal to be made, which I think was the notion Rick Smith was operating under when "not going to franchise" stuff was hinted or said. Other words Dunta's agents was not operating in a "good faith" manner.

This reads like Dunta did not want to play for the Texans in 2009, and the Texans did not want enter 2009 without Dunta playing for them. Problem for Dunta is that the Texans hold the trump card.

My thought is that Dunta will show and sign the franchise tag and be a Texan in 2009. He will accord himself professionally because he has shown that in his play thorughout his career and there is not long term benefit from him not doing so. After 2009, the situation will be re-evaluted by both parties.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #16
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta said from the get-go that he was lied to by the organization(referring to them saying they would not franchise him) and therefore disrespected in his eyes. So it sounds like it is more of a matter of principle to him than anything.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #17
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

That injury in Oakland is gonna cost us again because neither the Texans nor Dunta want to admit that is the crux of the issue. On Dunta's side he still thinks he is the same player he was before the injury. The Texans are nervous that he isnt and dont want to pay him as if the injury never occurred.

I think this will be settled by opening day and the Texans can move on to focus on what is expected dunta or no......playoffs or bust.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Dunta said from the get-go that he was lied to by the organization(referring to them saying they would not franchise him) and therefore disrespected in his eyes. So it sounds like it is more of a matter of principle to him than anything.
trade him for draft picks..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
That injury in Oakland is gonna cost us again because neither the Texans nor Dunta want to admit that is the crux of the issue. On Dunta's side he still thinks he is the same player he was before the injury. The Texans are nervous that he isnt and dont want to pay him as if the injury never occurred.

I think this will be settled by opening day and the Texans can move on to focus on what is expected dunta or no......playoffs or bust.
Daunta was never the player he thought he was. I've been saying that for years.
Old 08-04-2009   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
trade him for draft picks..
Noone (other than Crazy Al) is going to pay the kind of money that DR is looking for coming off of a devastating injury AND give up picks for him.

Dead weight. Dead money. Rescind the franchise tender and wish him luck. Use the $10 mill on Demeco and Daniels.

DR doesn't want to be here. However, wait and rescind the offer at the close of camp.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read