Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-04-2009   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Faggins: "In Houston, it's a little bit tense".

Petey, it's going to be way more tense when you show back up at your old stomping grounds and Vonta Leach passes you for a 60 yard touchdown pass...
\
Quote:
"Right now in this locker room, it's a lot more laid back -- players, coaches, the organization. In Houston, it's a little bit tense. I don't know if that's good or bad, but being there seven years, I experienced a lot. We were just trying to get a win, make the playoffs and do things like that for the first time that had never been done."
Full Article
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Faggins: "In Houston, it's a little bit tense".

He also had this to say:

Quote:

"Coming here after the season they had last year, it's pretty laid back. There is a been-there, done-that confidence, that's a good feeling coming off 13-3. ... I think it's harder to play tense, it's like walking on egg shells. You never know when it's going to break down on you or you're really not concentrating on what you've got to do, you're worrying too much about what a coach is going to say, if you're going to lose your position or your spot. If you go out there and just play relaxed and the coaches are relaxed instead of yelling and cussing, they come in and let you know what you did wrong and what the results can be if you do it right."
Sounds like he is taking a shot at the coaches. We will be sure to forward them on to whereever they are now.
Old 08-04-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't know that I can blast Faggins for this. I think he's probably right. Losing sucks, and people get uptight. I can't imagine millions of dollars being involved helping the situation.
Old 08-04-2009   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to move this thread into the NFL section. For people who really want to know what various teams are like, this article has some information that confirms what I've heard from others.

Of course, Petey was here during the Capers years where politics determined playing time as much as skill did. I wonder how much that corporate culture has changed.

======

For those who can't stand hearing something less than glowing about the Texans, I understand that you think Petey is the worst corner ever, and knows less about team dynamics than the well informed forum member.
Old 08-04-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I'm going to move this thread into the NFL section. For people who really want to know what various teams are like, this article has some information that confirms what I've heard from others.

Of course, Petey was here during the Capers years where politics determined playing time as much as skill did. I wonder how much that corporate culture has changed.

======

For those who can't stand hearing something less than glowing about the Texans, I understand that you think Petey is the worst corner ever, and knows less about team dynamics than the well informed forum member.
Can you expand on this?

BTW, I think Faggins is speaking of Hoke yelling at him. Hoke was a yeller.

Faggins will be lucky to even make the Titans roster, much less start. Paul says it himself right after Petey's comments.

Quote:
Faggins was part of the Texans' secondary problems last year, a player teams like the Titans may have targeted if given the chance. But the Titans believe he has skills better suited for playing off and in zone rather than trying to jam and play man the way the Texans prefer.
Quote:
They signed him because they are unsure about their depth at corner after the free-agent defections of Eric King (Detroit) and Chris Carr (Baltimore), but if he's out played by youngsters Cary Williams, Ryan Mouton and/or Jason McCourty he might not stick
Old 08-04-2009   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc
I don't know that I can blast Faggins for this. I think he's probably right.
Now that's what I like to see - holding back the initial thought to shoot the messenger.
Old 08-04-2009   #7
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

This guy will never see the field unless we have injuries.

Finny and Harper are the starters.

Fuller usually plays nickel and unless Mouton is absolutely a bust in camp he will play dime.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2009   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX

Can you expand on this?
As I understand it, the Texans were regimented to the minute under Capers. A typical day's schedule would start with an item from 7:00 to 7:18 followed by a meeting from 8:34 to 9:53, etc. (I'm making up these specific times). I think Kubiak is also fairly structured, though probably not to that degree.

I've heard that the Titans under Fisher are just the opposite. It is a relaxed atmosphere that seems very disorganized to someone coming from a rigid environment like the Texans. Somehow though on Sunday, Fisher picks up the control sticks and the jumbled parts scattered across the team come together and dance to the game plan like a marionette.

All teams have their own personalites and ways to get things done. These are two of the alternatives.
Old 08-04-2009   #9
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Petey, it's going to be way more tense when you show back up at your old stomping grounds and Vonta Leach passes you for a 60 yard touchdown pass...
\

Full Article
Its because of Petey Faggins alot of that losing happened. Lee Evans made the pro bowl because of that guy. Marvin Harrison earned millions because he had most of his catches against that guy. How often did we see #38 with his arms stretched wide as td was scored on him.

He got burned so many times I dubbed him "Big Play Petey" because he gave up the big play....to the other team.

Seriously no one on this board should give a rats...what this guy thinks. He cost us more games than HWWNBN ever did. Take a look back at all the close games and look for the one play that cost us the game. It could be the game winning TD against petey or the third and 5 (that if stopped the Texans could get the ball and tie or take the lead)Petey would be found giving an eight yard cushion.

That guy is a Titan and I am sure that if he gets on the field Kubiak is gonna say...we need a big play so throw at him.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #10
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
He also had this to say:

Sounds like he is taking a shot at the coaches. We will be sure to forward them on to whereever they are now.
i would be yelling and cussing if you gave up not one but two 70 td catches in a matter of quarters. Petey they yelled and cussed at you because you sucked. When you were benched last year the Texans started to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
This guy will never see the field unless we have injuries.

Finny and Harper are the starters.

Fuller usually plays nickel and unless Mouton is absolutely a bust in camp he will play dime.

"Please play that guy more, I own him." -Andre Johnson.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
As I understand it, the Texans were regimented to the minute under Capers. A typical day's schedule would an item from 7:300 to 7:18 followed by a meeting from 8:34 to 9:53, etc. I think Kubiak is also fairly structured, though probably not to that degree.

I've heard that the Titans under Fisher are just the opposite. It is a relaxed atmosphere that seems very disorganized to someone coming from a rigid environment like the Texans. Somehow though on Sunday, Fisher picks up the control sticks and the jumbled parts scattered across the team come together like a marionette that dances to the game plan.

All teams have their own personalites and ways to get things done. These are two of the alternatives.
Ah, gotcha. I remember hearing that about Capers.

I think Kubiak's got a little "laid back" in him, but I'm sure winning on a consistant basis will help relax the organization as a whole. Obviously, we have yet to experience a winning season so there probably are several puckered sphincters around camp.

It'll come eventually.
Old 08-04-2009   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX

Ah, gotcha. I remember hearing that about Capers.

I think Kubiak's got a little "laid back" in him, but I'm sure winning on a consistant basis will help relax the organization as a whole. Obviously, we have yet to experience a winning season so there probably are several puckered sphincters around camp.

It'll come eventually.
The question becomes does all that extra puckering just add stress that outweighs any benefit.

With Capers it certainly lowered morale and was a factor in him losing the team. Kubiak has more of a leadership persona, so that helps him immensely with the players.
Old 08-04-2009   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He also had this to say:

I don't think he was the only one who didn't like the last defensive coaching staff. It was proven to be a bad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't know that I can blast Faggins for this. I think he's probably right. Losing sucks, and people get uptight. I can't imagine millions of dollars being involved helping the situation.
David Carr is an example of a good loser. I've seen him happy and telling jokes in the locker room after crushing losses. People all around him were mad, but he was feeling great. Faggins wasn't as bad a player as many of the fans in messageboardville paint him to be. The Texans just didn't always have legit starting cbs while he was here and he really isn't more than a nickel back. I thought he was better than Steve Jackson and most Oiler fans remember Jackson fondly.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

On a football note, I'd agree with him that if you are looking over your shoulder on whether you will get yanked or not, you will be a lesser player. When that happens you start thinking stuff like..."are my feet right, did I turn and backpeddle, did I jam, did I turn and run, did I cover the flat instead of releasing the guy. Overall it takes the "natural" ability to play out of the equation because you are thinking coach talk. He isn't a starter but maybe he will flourish in another system...ala McCree at safety.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think he was the only one who didn't like the last defensive coaching staff. It was proven to be a bad one.
Agreed, and pretty much all I was saying, on with the new coaching staff and I hope things are improved all around.
Old 08-04-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
On a football note, I'd agree with him that if you are looking over your shoulder on whether you will get yanked or not, you will be a lesser player. When that happens you start thinking stuff like..."are my feet right, did I turn backpeddle, did I jam, did i turn and run, did I cover the flat instead of releasing the guy. Overall it takes the "natural" ability to play out of the equation because you are thinking coach talk. He isn't a starter but maybe he will flourish in another system...ala McCree at safety.
Faggins is a 6th round pick who has had 8 years in the league, so he's likely at the end of his career. I bet there aren't too many 6th rounders that can say they put 8 years in the league.

Old 08-04-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Agreed, and pretty much all I was saying, on with the new coaching staff and I hope things are improved all around.
Well, from what I've gathered from watching camp, lil Gibbs is more of a teacher than Hoke. He'd jog up to the DB that might've made a wrong move and speak to him face to face rather than yelling from 20 yards away. Lil Gibbs is constantly jogging around the secondary teaching the guys. I think he sweats as much as the players do. lol
Old 08-04-2009   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, from what I've gathered from watching camp, lil Gibbs is more of a teacher than Hoke. He'd jog up to the DB that might've made a wrong move and speak to him face to face rather than yelling from 20 yards away. Lil Gibbs is constantly jogging around the secondary teaching the guys. I think he sweats as much as the players do. lol
Good tidbit, thanks.
Old 08-04-2009   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Faggins is a 6th round pick who has had 8 years in the league, so he's likely at the end of his career. I bet there aren't too many 6th rounders that can say they put 8 years in the league.
Agreed. He served his purpose and despite his play still started due to the lack of talent there. So I never faulted the guys work ethic.
Old 08-04-2009   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hoke's style was more of a Fred Flintstone style. Gibbs is more yoda, molded by the mysterious forces of the universe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read