Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2009   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans lineman Studdard seizes opportunity to impress

Kubiak likes Studdard and sees him as having the potential to be a starter.

Here is a quote from the article at Chron.com:

Quote:
Opportunity to impress

“Kasey has shown flashes that he can start in this league,” Kubiak said. “We're looking for consistency from him.

“While we wait for Chester to get his shoulder to 100 percent, we're finding out a lot about Kasey. It's an important year for him. It's time for him to prove he can start in this league. I think he's on his way to getting that done.”

Studdard should get a lot of playing time in preseason. Ideally, he won't play a down in regular season, but odds are against all the linemen staying healthy for a second consecutive season.

“What we're looking for in Kasey is the consistency, knowing that he can be there week in and week out as the starter,” Kubiak said. “With us giving Chester a break and getting his shoulder back to 100 percent, we're finding out a lot about Kasey, and Kasey's finding out a lot about himself.
Good luck, Kasey!
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans lineman Studdard seizes opportunity to impress

KEYE is watching.

Seriously, I'm not a fan.
Old 08-04-2009   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Kubiak likes Studdard and sees him as having the potential to be a starter.

Here is a quote from the article at Chron.com:

Good luck, Kasey!

If Kasey is starting, I'd say it's more like "Good luck, Matt!"
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has talked up players before. This is more motivational to Studdard or to fill up some press time. IMO.
Old 08-04-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard was one of the guys to catch my eye at camp the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a couple of general comments I sent to a friend just now...

I liked how Buster Davis moved. He is so short, but he is fluid and turns well and doesn't seem to need many steps to get to full speed.

Deljuan Robinson looks bigger...actually he looked quite a bit larger than I remember him looking last season in camp.

Grossman looked exactly like the book reads on him. Wildly inconsistent with a sprinkle of really awesome passes mixed into some tight coverage....but that's with no pass rush. I can imagine how he looks when the heat is on. I bet "maddening" may be a nice choice of words.

Studdard also looked like he may have lived in the weight room last year. He really looked big and strong looking. He's still a little stiff when he moves though.

some people were asking me what I thought of this and that and honestly, I don't think we can glean too much out of no contact drills. The smallish fast/quick guys always look the best early in camp. Once the hitting goes live then the bigger more physical guys start to shine and the men start to separate from the boys so to speak.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Studdard was one of the guys to catch my eye at camp the other day.
okam said in an interview that it was studdard who said to him that they both had to get their acts together so they both pushed each other really hard in the offseason & thats the reason okamis 20-30 lbs lighter. so it makes since that hed be in much better shape too
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he took a break from the shirtless sausage partys this off season, yeah?
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

You know if Studdard turns out to be a good player there are alot of people on here that are going to be eating crow. Remember the comments like "the only reason we drafted him was because Kubiak is friends with his father"?
Old 08-04-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You know if Studdard turns out to be a good player there are alot of people on here that are going to be eating crow. Remember the comments like "the only reason we drafted him was because Kubiak is friends with his father"?
I have done little other than make jokes at his expense. From all that I've seen, he is an awful pro guard. I just want to go on record now, because if I'm wrong, I'll be pleasantly shocked!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he does impress, because so far he hasn't. I'm iffy on our depth at guard and he manned up and proved to be a quality backup Guard I'll be happy.

Man, it sucks I was really hoping that Brandon Walker, the guard we signed as a UDFA out of OU would be in camp and would make waves. That DUI killed his career with the Texans. Dumbass.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't zoomed in on him during drills, but I agree with Vinny that he does look a bit more in football shape.
Old 08-04-2009   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

He was drafted in the 6th round. Considering this, Im not sure why there are such staunch non fans of this guy so early? When he was at Texas, he definitely had a nastiness about him when he played. If he can eventually adapt to the pro game and bring the same stuff at this level, he will be one of those guys thats very hard not to like in the end. If not, meh... he was a 6th round draft pick.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
He was drafted in the 6th round. Considering this, Im not sure why there are such staunch non fans of this guy so early?
I watched a slow-mo replay of him getting run into by a linebacker (possibly even blind-sided) and the announcers saying "Great block by Studdard"

Lucky is more like it. That and he looks like he would have trouble beating out my grandmother in a 40 yard dash.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Put me down in the books too...

HE'S SH!TTY.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I just try to refrain from concluding anything on a player after only 1 rookie season. Especially a 6th round project.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

even though he was a longhorn (which I recognize means he probably received little to no coaching) i saw a player with little to no talent. He's slow. Really slow. I'll get back to you after next Sunday. I'll be sure to pay attention to his progress.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like there's an Aggie in the thread.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Put me down in the books too...

HE'S SH!TTY.
Hey, I've been one of the biggest Studdard haters there is. But in the open practices he has shown a gain in his strength and he technique has improved.

He a has learned to stay lower in pass pro, and his run blocking has been up to backup status.

I will not call him a starter yet. But he has really improved over the prior years. The drafting of Caldwell lite a fire under the kid.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #19
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Sounds like there's an Aggie in the thread.
I'm an Aggie, but have to admit Casey has improved.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009   #20
texanskan
Veteran

Section: 115 Row H
Rep Power: 611 texanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanskan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to texanskan

ok a little inside info, some buddies and I got passes to judge the cheerleader tryouts and Kasey was one of the Texans player judges.

I asked him about Frank and he said quote "I told him to lose the f-ing weight and lets do this thing"

Also I asked him how he was doing and the response was "I guarantee I'll be f-ing starting"

I posted this in a Frank Okam thread.

Like the poster above stated they pushed each other

"You either got a jump shot or you slang crack rock"
texanskan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read