Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2009   #21
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ says Grossman looking like the best QB in camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Do you know what a blanket statement is? He said from what little practice he has seen.

Oh and by the way LZ's day job is talking about Football on the radio and blogging about it on the Chrons website.

Here is an idea, instead of trying make snide remarks, why don't you take your happy ass out there and watch the practices and come back here and report on it and fill us in on how the QBs look.

It is the first week of practices and it is very possible that the normal starting QB might not look like he normally does because of trying to work on things and is thinking versus reacting.
Had he said this in his blog after his QB remarks we would have saved ourselves a lot of time and this thread wouldn't exist.

BTW, I was at day 1 and 3. Didn't get a chance to see and focus on any of the QBs, hence my interest in what went on over there.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #22
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 130706 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub has nothing to worry about.

People don't get that Rex is a decent QB. He just needs to settle down. All of his mistakes come from him trying to do too much (a la Rosencopter).

Give Rex a running game and time to make decisions and he would play a very good game. Not as good as Manning or Schaub, but good as a backup.
Old 08-04-2009   #23
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
My guess? M5Kwatts works for a competitor. I wouldn't give his opinion too much weight guys. It's a tad biased. Agree with the majority. Lance is the best and has some of the best insight on the game of football I have seen. I enjoy listening and reading his takes.
M5K has different opinions, doesn't mean he's up to something. I personally don't think LZ is as great as y'all make him out to be, either. There's people around here I believe to be smarter sports-wise.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

making strong case to keep three QB's & if some team is desperate, offers the moon, take it. I'm telling you Kubiak can develop a QB well as anyone & big reason why he got the gig in the first place
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #25
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not surprised Grossman is looking like the best QB in camp in individual drills. I don't think he's a bum he just doesn't know how to play football in the moment. If every QB was given 5 seconds to view the field after the snap he might be the best QB in the league. He has everything you want physically in a QB. Schaub is a different cat. He's got the physical tools but they are a B+ what sets Schaub apart is his field vision. I know he's made mistakes and had turnovers but I think that goes hand in hand with missing time and not finding that "it" with his linemen/receivers. Heck, Grossman could be the best QB on the roster if he got his head could catch up with his arm. He's got a little bit of Georgeitis.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!

Last edited by Texanmike02; 08-04-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I read his blog yesterday and noticed him saying that, but just kinda blew it off. I think I posted after Friday's practice how bad Rex looked, but thought he'd improve as he learns the playbook. He has improved, but the bad Rex would still show up every now and then.

If he had said Rex was the better QB on Sunday, I would've been ok with it as Schaub had a mediocre day throwing the ball. Honestly, from all the practices I've seen, I would have 1a) Schaub 1b) DanO 2) Rex

I'm looking forward to seeing DanO this preseason running our system. I think he's going to do well.

In the end, Schaub is and will be the starter.
Old 08-04-2009   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Maybe it's RJ?
Rich Lord....(??)
Old 08-04-2009   #28
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I read his blog yesterday and noticed him saying that, but just kinda blew it off. I think I posted after Friday's practice how bad Rex looked, but thought he'd improve as he learns the playbook. He has improved, but the bad Rex would still show up every now and then.

If he had said Rex was the better QB on Sunday, I would've been ok with it as Schaub had a mediocre day throwing the ball. Honestly, from all the practices I've seen, I would have 1a) Schaub 1b) DanO 2) Rex

I'm looking forward to seeing DanO this preseason running our system. I think he's going to do well.

Here's my conspirecy theory . LZ and John McClain have been instructed to build Rex up so they can trade him .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #29
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:

I think DanO will be a great fit for this system, and I'm excited about seeing him in action in the preseason too. I think he'll end up being a very good backup QB. Here's hoping that Schaub stays healthy this season and we only see Dan playing in the preseason.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I think DanO will be a great fit for this system, and I'm excited about seeing him in action in the preseason too. I think he'll end up being a very good backup QB. Here's hoping that Schaub stays healthy this season and we only see Dan playing in the preseason.
*Raises glass* Cheers!

To me, DanO has looked relaxed from the get go. It's been said many a time, but he does seem similar to Schaub while in the pocket. I think he has a little more zing on his ball than Schaub, but I don't think he's as consistant as Schaub in his decision making process.
Old 08-04-2009   #31
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
M5K has different opinions, doesn't mean he's up to something. I personally don't think LZ is as great as y'all make him out to be, either. There's people around here I believe to be smarter sports-wise.
Who? Justice, Solomon, McClain? Who's better? Anna-Megan Raley, Megan Manfull, Carl Dukes, Charlie Pallilo? Who do you think is better in the city of Houston than LZ?
Old 08-04-2009   #32
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I laughed really hard when I saw this in the Chron. LZ is usually ok by me with his stuff, but this was ridiculous. Grossman is not that good. That year that the Bears went to the SB, Orton was the one winning the critical games and when Lovie Smith announced before the SB against Indy that he was sticking with Grossman I told everyone that was the stupidest thing ever and they would lose and they did. I have never been impressed with Grossman. I can forgive Dan O. for that youtube highlight blooper out of the back of the endzone. He's young and played on such a bad team I may have ran out of bounds on purpose every play. There is no question in my mind that Schaub is the starter with Dan O. most likely #2.
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #33
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Dude, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but you're not going to get too many people to agree with you on Lance. I'll say it again, he's hands down the best all-around sports guy in the city of Houston.

As far as his feelings on Rex, I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that he has been going balls to the wall early in camp. One, he is competing against the 3rd stringers in practice. And Rex has been to a Super Bowl mind you, so no matter how you and I personally feel about him he's played winning football before. Two, he's getting better coaching from Kubes and Shanny than he probably ever received in Chicago. The guy has talent and a strong arm, but he doesn't always play smart. If they can get Rex to calm down and play the right way, he can be an asset to the organization as either a safe backup or potential trade bait. Finally, Rex knows his back is against the wall right now. He has to come out swinging and swinging hard. Who knows, this may be his last shot. So of course he's going to be going at it possibly harder than the other two.

We all know that Schaub is going to be the starter no matter how he's looking right now. If he can avoid any illegal hits, he will be a premiere QB in the league this season. But LZ is only giving his honest opinion of what he has seen so far. That doesn't make him a hack like you seem to be painting him out to be. I don't want to make it seem like I have some sort of mancrush on the guy, but he's just the best. And funny as shit!
Haven't read a lot of Lance Z but, from what I know he's probably the best or one of the best sports minds in the city of Houston.

I think you summed it up pretty well on Grossman JBZ. He's definitely got his back up against the wall and is going to come out swinging with thebest he's got. Personally I think he'll stick as the third QB barring looking outright terrible as camp goes on. I'm not sure on how much coaching he got in Chicago, but I think if Kubiak can get Jake Plummer to settle down and play well he can get Grossman to as well. I'm pretty sure that's why Grossman signed on here as opposed to some other possible destinations or waiting until camps and preseason started. Probably the smartest thing he's done in a while.

I like Dan O and his skill set, I thought he looked pretty decent coming out of college and had the physical tools to be a decent if not good QB. Unfotunately for him, he landed in Detroit and to his credit he never gave up or in. Like a few others posters I'm real curious to see what he can do in this offense once preseason starts.

I hope Schaub can make it all 16 games this season, if not I think we need to move on.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Haven't read a lot of Lance Z but, from what I know he's probably the best or one of the best sports minds in the city of Houston.

I think you summed it up pretty well on Grossman JBZ. He's definitely got his back up against the wall and is going to come out swinging with thebest he's got. Personally I think he'll stick as the third QB barring looking outright terrible as camp goes on. I'm not sure on how much coaching he got in Chicago, but I think if Kubiak can get Jake Plummer to settle down and play well he can get Grossman to as well. I'm pretty sure that's why Grossman signed on here as opposed to some other possible destinations or waiting until camps and preseason started. Probably the smartest thing he's done in a while.

I like Dan O and his skill set, I thought he looked pretty decent coming out of college and had the physical tools to be a decent if not good QB. Unfotunately for him, he landed in Detroit and to his credit he never gave up or in. Like a few others posters I'm real curious to see what he can do in this offense once preseason starts.

I hope Schaub can make it all 16 games this season, if not I think we need to move on.
I think this is an option year for Schaub. If it is, and Schaub doesn't stay on the field, then I can't see us picking up his option bonus.
Old 08-04-2009   #35
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is an option year for Schaub. If it is, and Schaub doesn't stay on the field, then I can't see us picking up his option bonus.
From what I remember it is the third option year of the original six year deal he signed. I agree if he misses significant time I don't think we'll extend it. On that note I gotta wonder if that's why we paid Dan O a bit more then most would've expected.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #36
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
From what I remember it is the third option year of the original six year deal he signed. I agree if he misses significant time I don't think we'll extend it. On that note I gotta wonder if that's why we paid Dan O a bit more then most would've expected.
The back up QB has been pretty important for us the past couple seasons. Maybe DanO was offered more elsewhere? I doubt it, but who knows?
Old 08-04-2009   #37
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

I can only go on what I saw Saturday and it was in this order:

1. Schaub
2. Rex
3. Dan

Of course if you ask 5 other people and they will give you 5 other orders. But ultimately it will come down to preseason and how the players perform later in camp. Schaub isn't going to lose his job, the only battle here is for #2. That is if the Texans would actually put Magic Dan at #3 with the money they gave him. If not, then it really isn't a battle at all.

I watched most of the Lions games last year and he wasn't a 0-16 quarterback, he happened to be in a 0-16 organization.
Old 08-04-2009   #38
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
IIRC, Sage got a go in the 2nd half one time when Schaub was doing really badly. I think the report on TV by the analysts was that he had sustained a minor injury and they wanted to hold him out for cautionary purposes. Didn't that happen last season, or was it the previous season?
That did not happen. The closest to that fact scenario was Minnesota this past year where Schaub QB'd the first half and then Sage came in the second half after Schaub's knee swelled up during halftime. The knee injury was, of course, due to Jared Allen's $50,000 shots to his knee and forced Matt to miss the four games after that. That was hardly an exaggerated injury.

The other games where Rosenfels came on in relief of Schaub were the following:

Jax, 2007: after we were down 37-9, Kubes put in Sage for the last series. This was the only game where "precautionary" reasons were cited for replacing Matt, but the fact was the game was already out of hand and only a few minutes remained.
Tenn, 2007: Schaub was knocked out twice and carried off the field. Both times, Sage came in mid-series.
SD, 2007: Schaub was KO'd by the ultra-cheapshot by Drayton Florence after a pick. Sage came in the next time the Texans got the ball (late in the second quarter). Schaub missed the next two weeks after that game.
Tenn, 2007: Schaub was injured on the second series of the game; this injury knocked him out the rest of the season.
Minn, 2008: as noted above, Schaub was lifted at halftime after his knee swelled up due to an MCL tear and missed the next 4 games.

But, I agree with the rest of your post: it will take an injury or a run of Carr-like play for Schaub to lose the starter's spot. If either happens this season, then the Texans won't be picking up Schaub's option, though they may try to sign him to a more practical contract.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #39
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think LZ is suggesting that Grossman or Big O has any chance of unseating Schaub. Everyone knows what's been given up for him and that he is the QB until he is injured and can't play.

I just can't see at all where he thinks he's number one. I think he looked piss poor in just about all of his reps. On the other hand, Schaub looked very good, and Big O looks like a solid backup if he continues on the path he's showing now.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #40
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
LOL LZ watches a few seconds of the QBs tossing the ball around and makes a blanket statement that Schaub is the 3rd best QB in camp? I'm not gonna tear this apart I'll just say lets go back to the Miami game.

Were backed up inside our own 5 yard line and we need 6 to win the game. Who do you want behind center? Mr. Deepball strong arm training camp MVP Grossman, 2nd best QB in camp Orlovsky or the guy who drove the team 90+ yards to win that Miami game? Don't quit your day job LZ... Its no wonder The Houston Comical is going under as a newspaper with blogs like this
I think I spelled out pretty clearly that in the limited reps that I had seen, Rex made fewer mistakes and looked more fluid with the arm strength etc. If you had read the blog and other comments you would realize that I said that it was early in camp and that I wasn't worried about Schaub and that he is a better QB than Rex. You and GP really need some football to start if this quick-hitter gets you this upset. It was a quick hit observation, that's all. My day job and night job will be fine. Keep firing blanks.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read