Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2009   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LZ says Grossman looking like the best QB in camp?

Anyone else read this is LZ camp report?

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...ex_comple.html

Rex Grossman is providing the early speed.... in his battle to win the backup QB position. It's early, but I would probably rate it Rex, Dan O. and then Schaub in terms of how QBs have looked so far.

He later responded to this clarifying question, and states that he hasn't been watching the QB's entire time.

what's wrong with schaub?? lower than orlovsky is saying something...

That's only what I've seen. Keep in mind that I'm watching one on one drills much of the time that 7 on 7s are going on. I would always recommend reading Steph's blog, AJ's, McClain's and anyone else's account because there is so much going on that it is impossible to see as much as you would like so what I see from Schaub or Orlovsky or Rex might be different from someon else who is watching them at a different time. I've been watching the QBs in team scrimmage mostly which is as close to game simulation as you'll see until the real thing starts up. I would also strongly urge you to listen to John Harris on the afternoon show at 1560 as his opinion is as spot on as anyone you'll find here in Houston.

What do you all think? I think Schaub has looked sharp, and that AJ and him have been playing pitch and catch all off season. I do think that Orlovsky looks as if the speed of the game is a bit too fast for him right now, but still think he's done a nice job with accuracy. Rex on the other hand, seems to be over or under throwing his receivers on a regular basis.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ says Grossman looking like the best QB in camp?

As much as I like his other analysis on the team, I can't buy his idea that Rex is blossoming and the other two are fading or are behind right now.

There is 100% no way Rex, or Orly, is going to beat Schaub.

Those two guys could throw 100-yard TD passes on every play, rush for 3 TDs every preseason game, and save a dying sideline reporter with CPR after running out of bounds for a first down. They won't be the starter.

Kubiak and Smith traded for 2 2nd rounders and have given Schaub the big contract a starting QB should get.

Plus, Orly would be in there as the #2 QB in a heartbeat. I don't buy that he was a loser on a losing team; that he made them bad. When he played us, I saw a guy who was accurate but the WRs couldn't catch the ball until the middle of the 4th qtr.

I like Keith's blog on practices. Lots of play-by-play.
Old 08-03-2009   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The general consenus is that Grossman is the worst QB of the three, as I expected. LZ is the only guy impressed with him I've seen.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's put this into perspective. Grossman is playing against the 3rd team defense. Schaub is QBing versus the 1st team.
Old 08-03-2009   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Let's put this into perspective. Grossman is playing against the 3rd team defense. Schaub is QBing versus the 1st team.
And the bullets aren't live rounds yet.

David Carr looked wonderful in camp. Every year. Without fail.

Then came the real thing, and we know what happened next. I can't root for Rex to fail, but I can't say that he has a body of work that lends itself to engendering a leap of faith for the guy.

And I think Orly has another season or two before he's going to fall into the same category.
Old 08-03-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL LZ watches a few seconds of the QBs tossing the ball around and makes a blanket statement that Schaub is the 3rd best QB in camp? I'm not gonna tear this apart I'll just say lets go back to the Miami game.

Were backed up inside our own 5 yard line and we need 6 to win the game. Who do you want behind center? Mr. Deepball strong arm training camp MVP Grossman, 2nd best QB in camp Orlovsky or the guy who drove the team 90+ yards to win that Miami game? Don't quit your day job LZ... Its no wonder The Houston Comical is going under as a newspaper with blogs like this
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched Friday and liked Dan's skill set . I thought Schaub did some good things and hit AJ deep . I wasn't that impressed with Grossman . He was short , threw some ducks , high flying ducks at that .

My ratings

Matt - 7.5
Dan - 7.0
Rex - 5.0

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2009   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Pretty much.

At this time of year, the defense should be a little ahead of the offense in general.
Old 08-03-2009   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
As much as I like his other analysis on the team, I can't buy his idea that Rex is blossoming and the other two are fading or are behind right now.

There is 100% no way Rex, or Orly, is going to beat Schaub.

Those two guys could throw 100-yard TD passes on every play, rush for 3 TDs every preseason game, and save a dying sideline reporter with CPR after running out of bounds for a first down. They won't be the starter.
Kubiak and Smith traded for 2 2nd rounders and have given Schaub the big contract a starting QB should get.

Plus, Orly would be in there as the #2 QB in a heartbeat. I don't buy that he was a loser on a losing team; that he made them bad. When he played us, I saw a guy who was accurate but the WRs couldn't catch the ball until the middle of the 4th qtr.

I like Keith's blog on practices. Lots of play-by-play.
If, after all the "best player will be on the field blah blah blah", THAT scenario happened, I would personally jump onto the field and whip Kubiaks ass. And Smith's too, if he were on the field. Other than that, I like the post.
Old 08-03-2009   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I watched Friday and liked Dan's skill set . I thought Schaub did some good things and hit AJ deep . I wasn't that impressed with Grossman . He was short , threw some ducks , high flying ducks at that .

My ratings

Matt - 7.5
Dan - 7.0
Rex - 5.0
Rex looked better today.
Old 08-03-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
LOL LZ watches a few seconds of the QBs tossing the ball around and makes a blanket statement that Schaub is the 3rd best QB in camp? I'm not gonna tear this apart I'll just say lets go back to the Miami game.

Were backed up inside our own 5 yard line and we need 6 to win the game. Who do you want behind center? Mr. Deepball strong arm training camp MVP Grossman, 2nd best QB in camp Orlovsky or the guy who drove the team 90+ yards to win that Miami game? Don't quit your day job LZ... Its no wonder The Houston Comical is going under as a newspaper with blogs like this

Dude, are you from 610?This is the second time I've seen you get personal on the guy. He probably knows more football than 70% of the board and is there observing. It's a daily practice blog. He didn't say Grossman has the starting position or is the best QB overall for the team. He even prefaced it by saying that he is only watching one part of practice. ALL he said was that so far he thought he has looked the best. Preseason is for getting out the kinks and for working on timing, etc. When all is said and done Schaub will be the guy and we will see between the other two. I never had a problem with Grossman's style. I was also impressed with what Orlovsky did on a horrible team. We will see in live game time play. I'm glad that a guy like LZ is actually around in a city where alot of the sports media lacks specific sports knowldge.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-04-2009 at 09:12 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Dude, are you from 610?This is the second time I've seen you get personal on the guy. He probably knows more football than 70% of the board and is there observing. It's a daily practice blog. He didn't say Grossman has the starting position or is the best QB overall for the team. He even prefaced it by seeing that he is only watching one part of practice. ALL he said was that so far he thought he has looked the best. Preseason is for getting out the kinks and for working on timing, etc. When all is said and done Schaub will be the guy and we will see between the other two. I never had a problem with Grossman's style. I was also impressed with what Orlovsky did on a horrible team. We will see in live game time play. I'm glad that a guy like LZ is actually around in a city where alot of the sports media lacks specific sports knowldge.
I'm hopeful for Orlovsky and Grossman. Orlovsky has upside and actually did some good things with the Lions last year despite all the negative pub around him and that 0-16 team. Grossman could be one of the better #3 QB's in the league yes. Ranking QB's based on practice is ridiculous though. I get what his point was, that based exclusively on the snippet small-sample size he saw he felt the way he did about ranking the QBs. He should've prefaced it even moreso cause making comments like that will create a stir like whats happened here.

As for LZ, he needs to stick to football, if that. His insight on the Astros on that same blog is the same old talk radio moronic bullc***. Lord knows what his take on how Morey should fix the Rockets would be.
Old 08-03-2009   #13
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm hopeful for Orlovsky and Grossman. Orlovsky has upside and actually did some good things with the Lions last year despite all the negative pub around him and that 0-16 team. Grossman could be one of the better #3 QB's in the league yes. Ranking QB's based on practice is ridiculous though. I get what his point was, that based exclusively on the snippet small-sample size he saw he felt the way he did about ranking the QBs. He should've prefaced it even moreso cause making comments like that will create a stir like whats happened here.

As for LZ, he needs to stick to football, if that. His insight on the Astros on that same blog is the same old talk radio moronic bullc***. Lord knows what his take on how Morey should fix the Rockets would be.
Quote:

Dude, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but you're not going to get too many people to agree with you on Lance. I'll say it again, he's hands down the best all-around sports guy in the city of Houston.

As far as his feelings on Rex, I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that he has been going balls to the wall early in camp. One, he is competing against the 3rd stringers in practice. And Rex has been to a Super Bowl mind you, so no matter how you and I personally feel about him he's played winning football before. Two, he's getting better coaching from Kubes and Shanny than he probably ever received in Chicago. The guy has talent and a strong arm, but he doesn't always play smart. If they can get Rex to calm down and play the right way, he can be an asset to the organization as either a safe backup or potential trade bait. Finally, Rex knows his back is against the wall right now. He has to come out swinging and swinging hard. Who knows, this may be his last shot. So of course he's going to be going at it possibly harder than the other two.

We all know that Schaub is going to be the starter no matter how he's looking right now. If he can avoid any illegal hits, he will be a premiere QB in the league this season. But LZ is only giving his honest opinion of what he has seen so far. That doesn't make him a hack like you seem to be painting him out to be. I don't want to make it seem like I have some sort of mancrush on the guy, but he's just the best. And funny as shit!
Old 08-03-2009   #14
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess? M5Kwatts works for a competitor. I wouldn't give his opinion too much weight guys. It's a tad biased. Agree with the majority. Lance is the best and has some of the best insight on the game of football I have seen. I enjoy listening and reading his takes.
Old 08-03-2009   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Dude, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but you're not going to get too many people to agree with you on Lance. I'll say it again, he's hands down the best all-around sports guy in the city of Houston.

As far as his feelings on Rex, I don't think it's that far-fetched to think that he has been going balls to the wall early in camp. One, he is competing against the 3rd stringers in practice. And Rex has been to a Super Bowl mind you, so no matter how you and I personally feel about him he's played winning football before. Two, he's getting better coaching from Kubes and Shanny than he probably ever received in Chicago. The guy has talent and a strong arm, but he doesn't always play smart. If they can get Rex to calm down and play the right way, he can be an asset to the organization as either a safe backup or potential trade bait. Finally, Rex knows his back is against the wall right now. He has to come out swinging and swinging hard. Who knows, this may be his last shot. So of course he's going to be going at it possibly harder than the other two.

We all know that Schaub is going to be the starter no matter how he's looking right now. If he can avoid any illegal hits, he will be a premiere QB in the league this season. But LZ is only giving his honest opinion of what he has seen so far. That doesn't make him a hack like you seem to be painting him out to be. I don't want to make it seem like I have some sort of mancrush on the guy, but he's just the best. And funny as shit!
I'm not trying to slight Dan or Rex one bit. Just saying that if you're gonna blog what Z did it needs to come with a bigger explanation than just one sentence or else it'll create stirs like this.

We all have our opinions on media members. The beauty is we can all come here to voice them no matter how different those opinions are. You offer your perspective and I'll offer mine.
Old 08-03-2009   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
My guess? M5Kwatts works for a competitor. I wouldn't give his opinion too much weight guys. It's a tad biased. Agree with the majority. Lance is the best and has some of the best insight on the game of football I have seen. I enjoy listening and reading his takes.
Haha dude I'm an unemployed broke college student. I WISH I was working for the Game or any of its competitors.
Old 08-03-2009   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If, after all the "best player will be on the field blah blah blah", THAT scenario happened, I would personally jump onto the field and whip Kubiaks ass. And Smith's too, if he were on the field. Other than that, I like the post.
But the deal is this: If anything, we see that Kubiak names a starting QB and that starter has to have an injury or have a long streak of playing badly before he pulls him. IIRC, Sage got a go in the 2nd half one time when Schaub was doing really badly. I think the report on TV by the analysts was that he had sustained a minor injury and they wanted to hold him out for cautionary purposes. Didn't that happen last season, or was it the previous season?

Anyways: Kubiak doesn't flip-flop like Gruden did in Tampa Bay, and like you saw in Chicago with Grossman and Orton. Similar situation in Buffalo. There's a bunch of teams who have switched out QBs like underwear.

Kubiak doesn't do it.
Old 08-03-2009   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Maybe it's RJ?
Old 08-03-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Maybe it's RJ?
Now thats just offensive.
Old 08-04-2009   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do you know what a blanket statement is? He said from what little practice he has seen.

Quote:
That's only what I've seen. Keep in mind that I'm watching one on one drills much of the time that 7 on 7s are going on. I would always recommend reading Steph's blog or AJ's ...
Oh and by the way LZ's day job is talking about Football on the radio and blogging about it on the Chrons website.

Here is an idea, instead of trying make snide remarks, why don't you take your happy ass out there and watch the practices and come back here and report on it and fill us in on how the QBs look.

It is the first week of practices and it is very possible that the normal starting QB might not look like he normally does because of trying to work on things and is thinking versus reacting.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read