Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandt picks Texans to win AFC South

Brandt picks Texans to win AFC South

Gil Brandt, who I consider the Yoda of the NFL, came to practice today with Vic Carucci, the editor of NFL.com. Carucci and Brandt do a talk show on Sirius Radio. They're touring NFL camps.

Brandt, who was the Cowboys' personnel director from 1960 through 1989 and has worked for the NFL since he was fired by Jerry Jones, made two predictions that stunned me.

First, he said he believes the Texans will win the AFC South. After I picked myself up off the grass, I asked for another prediction. He said he loves linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end Connor Barwin but believes cornerback Glover Quin, a fourth-round pick, will be one of the league's biggest surprises this season.

Quin is running first team nickel cornerback behind Jacques Reeves and Fred Bennett. - JOHN McCLAIN

Wow has any other major media guy had the balls to predict us winning the division? Heres to hoping hes right!
Old 08-03-2009   #2
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandt picks Texans to win AFC South

this year may be the best or worst as a Texan fan, logic says we should really shine this year with the Defensive additions same offense etc, but if somehow we stink it up, this will be the worst year as a fan with all the expectations
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember Gil Brandt being very high on the selection of Jason Babin, and one of the few who didn't view it as over-reaching when the Texans traded so much to move up and get him.

Hopefully, him being as wrong as he turned out to be was an aberration. If it wasn't, hopefully the aberration is that he's right this time.
Old 08-03-2009   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Frank View Post
this year may be the best or worst as a Texan fan, logic says we should really shine this year with the Defensive additions same offense etc, but if somehow we stink it up, this will be the worst year as a fan with all the expectations

The trick is not having expectations. It doesn't matter how many good players or coaches you have if you've also got lots of injuries and other stuff you can't predict. Plus, until we start setting a history of playing well, it's best to keep expectations average. We ain't Pittsburg yet, or even close.

I'll settle for the continued improvement we've been seeing, and bask in the fact that we don't have the anit-christ as our owner anymore. It's nice being a Texans fan these days.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The trick is not having expectations. It doesn't matter how many good players or coaches you have if you've also got lots of injuries and other stuff you can't predict. Plus, until we start setting a history of playing well, it's best to keep expectations average. We ain't Pittsburg yet, or even close.

I'll settle for the continued improvement we've been seeing, and bask in the fact that we don't have the anit-christ as our owner anymore. It's nice being a Texans fan these days.
I understand what you're saying, but since the start of this franchise, if you haven't had expectations, you haven't had squat, as you certainly haven't had results.

I say have expectations - that way, when you're right, it's twice as fun, and when you're wrong, at least you got to enjoy the pre-season, and part of the season.
Old 08-03-2009   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The trick is not having expectations.
Old 08-03-2009   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey I like the idea but, I still believe we're looking up at Indy as the best in the division. Tenn had an unblieveable year last year, but I just wonder if the running game can carry them to as many wins last year. Hanyesworth's no longer in the middle of the line, they'll still be tough but, not as much so. I think people will be able to run on them this year.

Are we capable of winning it? Yeah, that's why they play the game. I think we have a big road ahead of us though.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my question, who did Brandt pick to win the AFC South last year ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #9
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 37 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Here's my question, who did Brandt pick to win the AFC South last year ?
I think he picked the Jaguars

http://whereistand.com/GilBrandt/56230
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #10
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiantexan View Post
I think he picked the Jaguars

http://whereistand.com/GilBrandt/56230
ugh!
Old 08-03-2009   #11
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair to both Gil Brandt and Football Outsiders, the Jaguars lost two starting linemen for the year and their center for another 6 games.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The will probably finish ahead of the Jags. They have a good chance of landing second in the AFC South I would not go as far as to say they are going to win it. The AFC South is though with the Titans and the Colts. Manning is there so they should be a top team untill he retires. The Tacks are minus a few players from last season but still are a strong and healthy team. It won't a cake walk for the Texans just it wasn't any other season but they do have the right team in place without any injuries to give the rest of the teams in the AFC South a run for their money.
Old 08-03-2009   #13
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The will probably finish ahead of the Jags. They have a good chance of landing second in the AFC South I would not go as far as to say they are going to win it. The AFC South is though with the Titans and the Colts. Manning is there so they should be a top team untill he retires. The Tacks are minus a few players from last season but still are a strong and healthy team. It won't a cake walk for the Texans just it wasn't any other season but they do have the right team in place without any injuries to give the rest of the teams in the AFC South a run for their money.
I think we'll definitely be ahead of the Jags. As for the Titans? That's iffy. We have a chance to. We might be the AFC East this year, where the Patriots went 11-5, but didn't make the playoffs. If that happened, this season would still be a success.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I think we'll definitely be ahead of the Jags. As for the Titans? That's iffy. We have a chance to. We might be the AFC East this year, where the Patriots went 11-5, but didn't make the playoffs. If that happened, this season would still be a success.
They might finish ahead of the Titans but that is going to depend on how well Albert's replacement does and a couple of others who they have lost. If the replacements aren't as good as they are but play well as a team not much of a difference will be seen in their D play.
Old 08-03-2009   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

predicting on who wins the AFC south is like a coin toss to me no one knows
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #16
TonyBrownTown
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Hey I like the idea but, I still believe we're looking up at Indy as the best in the division. Tenn had an unblieveable year last year, but I just wonder if the running game can carry them to as many wins last year. Hanyesworth's no longer in the middle of the line, they'll still be tough but, not as much so. I think people will be able to run on them this year.

Are we capable of winning it? Yeah, that's why they play the game. I think we have a big road ahead of us though.
You really think with C.J. no longer a rookie and Lendale 30 pounds lighter in a CONRACT YEAR our running game will be our step back? Hard for me to comprehend, especially with our offensive line. Secondly, regarding Haynesworth's replacement, Jason Jones, he had 3.5 sacks against Super Bowl Champ Squeelers as well as two forced fumbles, and that game KVB was also out with an injury. Tony Brown and KVB are also in contract mode this year. That being said, good luck this year and beat those Colts, while still taking time a little time to spit on the grave of the Jags, it's going to be the year of the AFC South, I think we can all agree on that, good forum.
TonyBrownTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #17
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Injuries will determine if we live up to expectations or not.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Injuries will determine if we live up to expectations or not.
Which is why you shouldn't have expectations. You don't know who will get injured, when they will get injured, or how many will get injured.

Why not just chill out, kick back and enjoy the ride, instead of just setting yourself up for disappointment with all this 'expectations' craziness. It's ridiculous.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #19
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the first year I've had expectations really. Going into our 2-14 disaster I had some but something was off. I always felt like that 3-4 we played wasn't outfitted very well. Like we had missed the curve with the 3-4. The teams that were running it had a lot of talent because they got in the game earlier and there weren't the bargains to be had drafting for the 3-4 that there were the couple of years before we got in the league. There was enough talent to replinish the stock but not really to build from. And honestly, we didn't have "that guy" on defense. And there was just something that didn't seem right in Cleveland the year before.

This year is different. I'm expecting a 9 win season probably, though I haven't done my breakdown of the schedule. If we can get a DB to step up and play like a man we could have a real nice year. If not, half of us will be having this conversation next year and the rest of us will be talking baseball this time next year. (Oh wait... the Astros will be terrible then too)

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

not have expectations? Isn't that more of a rule for blind dates than being a rabid football fan?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read