Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TC:What does a "more aggressive" Houston Texans defense mean?

Quote:
All defensive coordinators say that they want their defense to be more aggressive. New DC Frank Bush says the same thing. So did DC Richard Smith. One thing I've been looking to find this offseason is what does that mean? What should we as fans look for to see evidence of it?

Well, I got a few answers. Yesterday, at training camp, I asked Texans DE Tim Bulman to explain it to us. He's played for Frank Bush the longest of all the players, and well, I'm entertained with his Massachusetts accent. I like the defensive ends on my team to sound like a tough guy:

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TC:What does a "more aggressive" Houston Texans defense mean?

Nice and candid video. I really can't wait to see where this defense goes. Even if it's not improved I think it would still be more fun to watch guys really going for it and getting beat than just sitting back and trying to react to everything.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

It means we're gonna have a front 7 out there being the hammer instead of the nail!!! We're so used to the old crap, we'll think every play is a blitz cuz the DL is getting penetration and might actually make a few plays in the backfield as oppossed to the secondary.
Old 08-02-2009   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSulF...eature=related

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Even if it's not improved I think it would still be more fun to watch guys really going for it and getting beat than just sitting back and trying to react to everything.
The philosophy behind the bend and don't break D is that it does not break. If it is the bend and break D like we played its agonizing at times to see. I want to see us get after the QB and utilize different schemes that confuse the opposing D. I want to be able to sit and watch the game and have no real idea where the pressure will come from. If I as a fan come from. If I can do it, you know D coordinators can pick it apart.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #6
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Becoming more aggressive than read-and-react is an easy feat. But what makes the difference is that it maximizes the natural abilities of our guys on the line.

For instance, placing a 19 year old Okoye in the middle of the field and expecting him to "read and react" is not very realistic. Also, Mario never liked the old system, so I tend to think that's a good sign that the new philosophy is no less than an improvement.

Last edited by Brisco_County; 08-02-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I believe this concept is geared more towards our DTs. Amobi was a 1 gap DT in college, and his years at Louisville (regardless of age) thats what he excelled at. Meaning that he is responsible for 1 gap, shading the guard or center and being held accountable for penetrating and occupying that area. These DTs tend to be a little smaller and more athletic. As opposed to a 2 gap lineman that is forced to 'read and react' as he's responsible for either shade of the guard or center (the williams boys in Minnesota) who typically are bigger guys.. I do believe that is whats going to happen this year. When Deljuan was playin a 1 gap technique he was in the backfield constantly, which is why i do believe (hope) that he gets the nod over TJ this year.

They key to being a good defensive coach (I.E. Bellicheck) is playing to you players strengths...Find out what they're good at and let them do it. Outside of running draw plays, i've rarely seen a backfire from a penetrating/upfield DLine. You can only run draws so many times in a game before a good LB like DeMeco picks it up.

Remember sacks are a 'sexy' stat. If you are constantly in the QBs face he is going to make mistakes. The Giants proved that in the SB against a record setting offense a couple years ago.

Last edited by RipTraxx; 08-02-2009 at 07:26 PM.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2009   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
When Deljuan was playin a 1 gap technique he was in the backfield constantly, which is why i do believe (hope) that he gets the nod over TJ this year.
Do you think TJ would also excel at shooting one gap? I tend to think that the old system restricted his abilities too. There's also the hernia injury to consider.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #9
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Do you think TJ would also excel at shooting one gap? I tend to think that the old system restricted his abilities too. There's also the hernia injury to consider.
I dont think TJ excels at anything. He was one of many busts from the Casserly regime. We might see a little more out of him b/c its a contract year but im not drinking the Kool-Aid. Same reasoning behind why i think Fat Albert is going to flop up in D.C.
Old 08-02-2009   #10
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say after 3 days, I am seeing the LBs closer to the line, more 8 in the box, the single safety moving forward quicker.

I see the DL in the backfield. I see the team swarming to the ball.

And I see Mario on a mission.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I dont think TJ excels at anything. He was one of many busts from the Casserly regime. We might see a little more out of him b/c its a contract year but im not drinking the Kool-Aid. Same reasoning behind why i think Fat Albert is going to flop up in D.C.
So far, TJ has excelled at eating up a roster spot and playing time. I keep hoping to see something, ANYTHING, that would justify his draft spot and existance on this team, but he keeps disappointing me. Maybe the sports hernia was a major problem for him. I've never had one. It just always seems to be something with the guy. It's like there's a black cloud following him and karma wants to kick his ass.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read