Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2009   #81
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco not happy either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
So you're saying that players need to stop weasling the millions from the owners? It's ok for them to hang on to that money rather than giving it to their employees? The problem with America is that the top 5% of Americans control 95% of our wealth. I'm for the players here. Spread the wealth around.
The employers payroll expense is FIXED (e.g. salary cap). If they give all the money to a few guys, they won't have any to pay other good players with. No matter how much they decide to spend on Demeco and OD, their payroll is still going to be ~$130 million. Smith is doing the right thing and trying to wait to see what happens with the collective bargaining agreement before resigning guys to long term deals. I have no doubt that he will pay these guys salaries that are more than fair as he has done in the past with AJ, Eric Winston, David Anderson, Andre Davis, etc. Demeco and OD are just caught up in the expiration of the CBA. You can't blame Smith for wanting to see what the rules are going to be before making a business decision that doesn't NEED to be made yet.

That being said, I hope OD and Demeco finish their careers as Texans and retire very wealthy.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #82
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It's a good thing for the Texans Dre got extended when he did and missed out on all this. He'd have probably bolted when the chance came if he was treated in a similar manner.
IMO even with his extension he's outplaying his contract. I dont know the breakdown of his contract but i do know it was a while ago, before he became the BEST WR in the league.
Old 08-02-2009   #83
Earl34
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Earl34 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotEarl34 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT CSTM View Post
From what I hear the general consensus of the players is that they don't take care of "guys all ready here" and give away funny money to FA's like Jaques Reeves and Antonio Smith. Guys I know that have moved on to other teams say the Texans FO is a quiet joke around the NFL. I don't think it all comes from a bad attitude towards them but they say the mentality in other locker rooms is totally diffrent than here in Houston.
Frankly, besides Glenn, I can't think of any player that has left the Texans and has been productive on another team.

The only thing worse than fights between productive players and management is scrubs complaining about management
Earl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #84
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
The employers payroll expense is FIXED (e.g. salary cap). If they give all the money to a few guys, they won't have any to pay other good players with. No matter how much they decide to spend on Demeco and OD, their payroll is still going to be ~$130 million.
But they don't have to spend all of it. Or do I have it wrong somewhere?
Old 08-02-2009   #85
Statis22
Top Billin

I would really hate to see this team regress after so much progress is trying to be made.

I hope the team doesn't get labeled as one that doesn't take care of their core talent. OD and Demeco should have been signed to long term deals
Statis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Dockett and Boldin (both Cardinals) complained all off-season about wanting new deals.

But they still showed up to camp ON TIME.

DeMeco and Owen are to be applauded for doing the same thing.

I can't ever understand or allow justification for the type of behavior that Dunta is exhibiting. At the end of it all, just get to camp and play football.

We might not know the full details of the contract, but we do know that he has a near $10 million one-year deal that he could accept and get him through to the end of this season. So why not do it? You can live the rest of your life on that amount.

I don't have to know the details of the supposed long-term deal that wasn't accepted. I see two Pro Bowl caliber players in Arizona who put their own restructured/long-term deals aside so they could be at camp and play ball.

So this is my "thanks" to Meco and OD for joining the team and getting down to the business of trying to make this team better.
Old 08-03-2009   #87
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Dockett and Boldin (both Cardinals) complained all off-season about wanting new deals.

But they still showed up to camp ON TIME.

DeMeco and Owen are to be applauded for doing the same thing.

I can't ever understand or allow justification for the type of behavior that Dunta is exhibiting. At the end of it all, just get to camp and play football.

We might not know the full details of the contract, but we do know that he has a near $10 million one-year deal that he could accept and get him through to the end of this season. So why not do it? You can live the rest of your life on that amount.

I don't have to know the details of the supposed long-term deal that wasn't accepted. I see two Pro Bowl caliber players in Arizona who put their own restructured/long-term deals aside so they could be at camp and play ball.

So this is my "thanks" to Meco and OD for joining the team and getting down to the business of trying to make this team better.
OD and D-Ryans really didn't have a choice but to show up for camp. They'd be facing daily fines if they chose to hold out (up to 12 grand per day IIRC). Dunta is not under contract yet so he can't really be fined until he signs.
Old 08-03-2009   #88
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
OD and D-Ryans really didn't have a choice but to show up for camp. They'd be facing daily fines if they chose to hold out (up to 12 grand per day IIRC). Dunta is not under contract yet so he can't really be fined until he signs.
I think that's the same thing with Dockett and Boldin. I know Boldin was acting all kinds of mad and declaring the Cards didn't want him and that he wanted to be traded.

Aren't both those guys under a current deal and desiring to get a better long-term deal? I thought they were.
Old 08-03-2009   #89
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it's clear the Texans are moving on without him. Pity. I wish him luck wherever he lands because I don't think he'll ever play for Houston again. And I don't think a team will sign him to a long term deal either until he proves his leg has healed and he is back to pre-injury form.

Too bad he and his agent got their panties in a wad over a legitimate CBA option the Texans exercised.

In fact, I think his agent has been trying to get him out of town all along. Just rescind the franchise offer and use the 10 mil to lock up Demeco and OD and let's move on. Sometimes the best option is to just walk away.

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 08-04-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: speeling errors
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #90
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
OD might be a little more expendable for us in the future with our depth at TE right now, but we really cannot afford to lose Demeco. Lock him up and give him the money he deserves.
I disagree only because OD is probably rated higher in the nfl as a te than ryans as a mlb. I mean gates,tony,whitten,and maybe K2 are the only te's u can say are better than owen. If one woulld uuse last yr, that list shrinks to whitten,tony and clark.Not only that, I think cushings best position is mlb. I hope they keep both though.
Old 08-04-2009   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think that's the same thing with Dockett and Boldin. I know Boldin was acting all kinds of mad and declaring the Cards didn't want him and that he wanted to be traded.

Aren't both those guys under a current deal and desiring to get a better long-term deal? I thought they were.
Yes, they are. Which is why they showed for camp. This stuff happens every year around the League. Players under contract talking crap of wanting a new deal or traded to a new team or they're going to hold out. Pffft! Once camp comes rolling around the player's tone begins to change because they know if they do hold out they're going to be writing some checks.

Look at Brandon Marshall as well. lol. That cat was flapping his gums ever since Cutler was traded off, but where id he now? In camp because he doesn't want to pay 15 grand a day.
Old 08-04-2009   #92
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34 View Post
Frankly, besides Glenn, I can't think of any player that has left the Texans and has been productive on another team.
I can think of a few - Marlon McCree, Steve Foley, Greg White, and Jabar Gaffney just off the top of my head. Of course, I don't think that has anything to do with the original assertion that the team doesn't take care of its players. The Ryans and Daniels situations speak more to that topic.
Old 08-04-2009   #93
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I think it's clear the Texans are moving on without him. Pity. I wish him luck wherever he lands because I don't think he'll ever play for Houston again. And I don't think a team will sign him to a long term deal either until he proves his leg has healed and he is back to pre-injury form.

Too bad he and his agent got their panties in a wad over a legitimate CBA option the Texans exercised.

In fact, I think his agent has been trying to get him out of town all along. Just rescind the franchise offer and use the 10 mil to lock up Demeco and OD and let's move on. Sometimes the best option is to just walk away.
I like your idea.

Use the $10 mill for DeMeco and OD. It will show that the front office DOES reward those (those who don't pull a stunt like Dunta has).
Old 08-04-2009   #94
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I disagree only because OD is probably rated higher in the nfl as a te than ryans as a mlb. I mean gates,tony,whitten,and maybe K2 are the only te's u can say are better than owen. If one woulld uuse last yr, that list shrinks to whitten,tony and clark.Not only that, I think cushings best position is mlb. I hope they keep both though.
Most NFL analyst have DeMeco rated as the #2 or #3 best MLB in the NFL. Daniels is solid, but at his position there are more players better than him than are better than DeMeco at his position (you forgot about Dallas Clark). And Cushing is absolutely NOT a MLB. I was watching the replay of the Oregon game from last season on ESPU last week. Rey was hurt and out of the game. Cushing was moved from the outside to the middle. It was not a good look at all. I made sure that I paid special attention to him and he was very unspectacular. He doesn't have the instincts to play inside.
Old 08-04-2009   #95
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Honestly, I don't see where Dunta has any room for making him one of the highest paid CB's in the league..

He had a really good first year, but after that he hasn't really shown close to the same level.

Season Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty
2004-05 Houston 16 74 14 88 3.0 26 6 146 0 0 3 19 0
2005-06 Houston 16 69 19 88 1.0 0 1 1 0 0 1 10 0
2006-07 Houston 16 70 13 83 0.0 0 2 9 1 1 1 12 0
2007-08 Houston 9 30 5 35 0.0 0 2 6 0 0 0 7 0
2008-09 Houston 11 35 3 38 0.0 0 2 0 0 0 0 6 0
Career 68 278 54 332 4.0 26 13 162 1 1 5 54 0

Does anyone really think Dunta is better than the following corners:

Asante Samuels
Al Harris
Champ Bailey
Terrance Newman
Deanglo Hall
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #96
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
Honestly, I don't see where Dunta has any room for making him one of the highest paid CB's in the league..

He had a really good first year, but after that he hasn't really shown close to the same level.

Asante Samuels
Al Harris
Champ Bailey
Terrance Newman
Deanglo Hall
No.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #97
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51561 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post

Asante Samuels
Al Harris
Champ Bailey
Terrance Newman
Deanglo Hall
Deangelo Hall? Yes.
Old 08-04-2009   #98
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I don't see anyone making them a victim. It's just business. Get what you can while you can, because the average NFL career is not that long.

I don't hear any "whining", either. I hope the next time you expect any kind of raise from your job your boss tells you to quit whining like a little punk. Be happy you have a job and all that jazz.

Nobody seems to ***** about what Mr. McNair makes off this team. He's part of this equation, as well. Ahh, but his lifetime exemption is the law of the land. He brought pro-football back to us after we refused to give the previous NFL owner in this town a new stadium.

Around and round we go, because we'll catch that tail one of these days!

Actually I have been told that. I have worked here 2.5 years and was promised a raise last year. Then they renegged and told me they never promised me a raise and that I should be happy I have a job. I haven't mentioned it since.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read