Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2009   #61
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco not happy either

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
So you're saying that players need to stop weasling the millions from the owners? It's ok for them to hang on to that money rather than giving it to their employees? The problem with America is that the top 5% of Americans control 95% of our wealth. I'm for the players here. Spread the wealth around.
Must be a democrat.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #62
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you're saying that players need to stop weasling the millions from the owners? It's ok for them to hang on to that money rather than giving it to their employees? The problem with America is that the top 5% of Americans control 95% of our wealth. I'm for the players here. Spread the wealth around.
Your beer just went from $8 to $10.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #63
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

These guys are in touch with Rick on this and now that the defense Cushing is set things will go smoothly
Old 08-01-2009   #64
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Your beer just went from $8 to $10.
Like I said, that's not the athlete's fault. The problem lies higher up. Fans are getting mad at the wrong people.
Old 08-01-2009   #65
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Must be a democrat.
My party affiliation has nothing to do with the fact that the rich keep get richer while we struggle for jobs.

FYI, I'm not a democrat.
Old 08-01-2009   #66
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I like demco hes been a fine player but IMO is best days are behind him

And hes not like the best MLB in the game besides cant cushing also play MLB
I just don't really understand this. He is 25 years old. If anything his best years should be IN FRONT OF HIM. Especially as we continue to add more talent around him.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said, that's not the athlete's fault. The problem lies higher up. Fans are getting mad at the wrong people.
I actually think it's mostly the fans' fault.

If we didn't obsessively consume NFL, as a collective group of NFL fans, we wouldn't have this discussion about what's being done with all that money. Of course, there wouldn't be the quality of NFL product, either.

Maybe we shouldn't take ANY side, since we're part of the equation. In fact, I'd say we're the dominant factor in that equation. We buy the products and/or services that have promotional ties to the NFL, we buy the team merchandise, the tickets, the concessions, the online fantasy football leagues which all have corporate sponsors or advertisers tied to them. The list is endless. We enable it. Period.

When we get into discussions about what should be done with money, is there really any winning argument? Those who have it, naturally want to keep it and get more of it. Those who don't have it, want more of it and think they're being swindled out of it by those who DO have more of it.

I grew up on a farm, my parents religiously voting for Democrats because they believed that the Democratic party was always in the corner of the little man. My parents are no more richer today than when they first got married and started a family back in 1962. I'm sorry, but I've lived in their home and never saw the fruition of this great promise that Dems always rolled out at election time. It's electoral bribery, basically: "Vote for us, and we'll give you some of your money back. Oh, and by the way, those greedy Republicans are only for the rich!" Look at out government, there are rotten apples galore in BOTH parties. It's out of control. Grossly.

Anyways, I hope they get a Goldeylocks deal: The chair is not too firm, nor too soft...it's juuuust right. That's my "best case scenario" in regards to those two guys. Anything excessive is foolish, anything meager is a slap to their face. And hopefully they will compromise. If not, thanks for the memories.
Old 08-01-2009   #68
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I like Demeco. He's a fine player.

Having said that, he's not a top tier player. He's in the second tier of MLBs in the league and certainly not irreplacable. Lets keep in mind that he's the 2nd best player on an average defense. If he resigns that is great but the world doesn't end if we have to draft a MLB next year.

Mike
If Diles comes back 100% and continues to improve I don't see us drafting a MLB at all. His replacement is already in house.

I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Ryans for a high pick or an equivalent player in that scenario.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #69
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I just don't really understand this. He is 25 years old. If anything his best years should be IN FRONT OF HIM. Especially as we continue to add more talent around him.
I, too, think DeMeco is declining. Due to playing TOO hard and fast, or whatever, but he's not the same as he was in his rookie year.
Old 08-01-2009   #70
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I, too, think DeMeco is declining. Due to playing TOO hard and fast, or whatever, but he's not the same as he was in his rookie year.
Sure, his numbers are down. But I would be more inclined to agree with you if he were 35 instead of 25. I mean he has only been in the league for 3 years. And we all know he battled some injuries last year. He has had basically no help up front since he was brought into this league. He has had to endure alot his first 3 years. Beefing up the front 7 and making him less of a target doesnt say to me he should continue to decline imo. Where is the logic that if he has more help up front and around him...that he might actually get better this year?
Old 08-01-2009   #71
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think he is declining. But I do think that he lacks a certain killer instinct to play MLB. When I think of top MLB's who put fear into the other side of the ball, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert come to mind. Just to name a few. Right now Meco doesnt belong in the same zip as these guys in term of attitude and the will to dominate.

Meco is not a game changer. Teams do not game plan for him. I have never seen Meco take over a game.

He's good, decent. Better than a lot of other MLB's. But I would not put him up there with the upper crust.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #72
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Only in sports are contracts meaningless. This goes for college coaches who leave after signing a new deal because the other college is more high profile. So they pay a small buyout and move on and leave kids who signed because of him stuck because they are not free to leave after the coach leaves.

DeMeco and Daniels need to be upset with the union because the collective bargaining agreement, as well as Dunta, because it says this is what a 3rd year player gets. Also since there is no agreement neither will be a FA next year, so the FO has time to try and get all the deals worked but it seems they all want theirs first.

The draft and all the FA that the Texans had come up all at the same time and certain players seem to say I do not care, it is all about me and what I want when I want it. So as far as who to blame and who is the greedy one in all of this? Football is not like baseball where most owners and not turning a profit, here they are all making a lot of money and they want to continue making that money, just as players want to make as much as they can as soon as they can and for as long as they can. The ones caught in the crossfire is the fans. Tickets went up this year and so did parking and I bet so did some of the concession items as well. Not that they were not making a good profit already.
Old 08-01-2009   #73
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
I don't think he is declining. But I do think that he lacks a certain killer instinct to play MLB. When I think of top MLB's who put fear into the other side of the ball, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert come to mind. Just to name a few. Right now Meco doesnt belong in the same zip as these guys in term of attitude and the will to dominate.

Meco is not a game changer. Teams do not game plan for him. I have never seen Meco take over a game.

He's good, decent. Better than a lot of other MLB's. But I would not put him up there with the upper crust.
Unfortunately those guys you named dont come along very often. In the mean time, I think that many teams would love to have Demeco in the middle. I happen to think the best is yet to come. The more we can free him and the other linebackers up, the more game changing plays they are going to make.
Old 08-01-2009   #74
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Good one.

Sorry for the drive by nastyness everyone, I promise I won't do that again. (Today at least...LOL)

Hopefully we get Cushing signed soon so we can get past this aspect of football and just concentrate on praising the players when they do good and ripping them up when they don't.
Mad drive-by posts is what I like most about you!
Old 08-01-2009   #75
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think until we start winning divisions and championships the players don't have the upper hand.

DRob wants big money but we finish near the worst every year in pass D.

OD wants a big contract but can't find the EZ and we finish at the bottom of RZ scoring.

Meco wants a big contract but our run D and our short to medium pass D is consistantly exposed. He is no Ray Lewis.

6-10, 8-8, 8-8. We have finished last, last, and third in our division with a divisional record of 6-12 in that time period.

I thought we rewarded excellence not mediocrity.
That's certainly one way to look at it, and it's a valid perspective.

However, the difference is that these good players will find offers available to them if they play their contracts out, and usually they will have a choice of teams that will bid for their services.

The Texans will not be high on any free agent's priority list unless there is the financial motivation, simply because we are not a franchise that can attract players because of success.

The plan seems to be "build through the draft", but that only works if you can actually keep those players that you develop.

It is definitely a two way street, and I am not taking any particular side. We just don't have the details of the offers available to us, so we can just speculation and let our own points-of-view guide our opinions.

I just want to see the happy medium that we keep our good players, they are happy with the contracts, and provide us with performances on the field that put us in more winning results than losing ones.
Old 08-01-2009   #76
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that all the draft picks are signed, I'm sure the Texans are working on other contracts. They made a very reasonable offer to Dunta who turned it down, so it's not like they aren't trying. I'm sure they are working on the other contract extensions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #77
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Sure, his numbers are down. But I would be more inclined to agree with you if he were 35 instead of 25. I mean he has only been in the league for 3 years. And we all know he battled some injuries last year. He has had basically no help up front since he was brought into this league. He has had to endure alot his first 3 years. Beefing up the front 7 and making him less of a target doesnt say to me he should continue to decline imo. Where is the logic that if he has more help up front and around him...that he might actually get better this year?
I think there's a significant injury with Meco. Something is way different in his style of play, when you look at that rookie season compared to each subsequent season afterward.

His play in his rookie year was off-the-charts scary good.

I've brought this up before, and I am wondering if CND or someone has more insight about this: Have you noticed Meco wears one of those shoulder straps on his left arm, the kind that Clinton Portis has to wear because his arm keeps coming out of the shoulder socket?

I won't argue his football I.Q. or anything. He can read a play and flow to the ball very well. He has instincts that an NFL linebacker has to have. But I wonder if the body is the same as it was, even though he's only 25.
Old 08-01-2009   #78
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think there's a significant injury with Meco. Something is way different in his style of play, when you look at that rookie season compared to each subsequent season afterward.

His play in his rookie year was off-the-charts scary good.

I've brought this up before, and I am wondering if CND or someone has more insight about this: Have you noticed Meco wears one of those shoulder straps on his left arm, the kind that Clinton Portis has to wear because his arm keeps coming out of the shoulder socket?
I won't argue his football I.Q. or anything. He can read a play and flow to the ball very well. He has instincts that an NFL linebacker has to have. But I wonder if the body is the same as it was, even though he's only 25.

GP,

Now that you mention it, if I remember correctly, near the end of last season he was held out of practice for a "shoulder problem" that wasn't characterized. Any type of shoulder problem could affect his performance for many reasons..........limited range of motion, decreased strength, and tentativeness due to pain and/or fear of further injury. It certainly would be well to watch his play during TC and preseason, to see if his play demonstrates any of those presentations.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually near the very end of the season, he was suffering additionally from a knee and ankle problem. For that matter, at the end of 2007, Demeco was having knee problems significant enough to keep him out of practices. Even though Demeco didn't miss actual games along the way, it makes you think that the Texans may have concerns for his continued durability.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-01-2009 at 11:29 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #80
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Actually near the very end of the season, he was suffering additionally from a knee and ankle problem. For that matter, at the end of 2007, Demeco was having knee problems significant enough to keep him out of practices. Even though Demeco didn't miss actual games along the way, it makes you think that the Texans may have concerns for his continued durability.
exactly. it sounds like DeMeco is a victim of his injuries last year and Dunta/OD are over-evaluating their own worth to the Texans. I want to keep Dunta and OD and DeMeco but at a smart price and at the prudent time.

Lets see DeMeco show some of the pursuit he showed in his first 2 years.
Lets see Dunta play some quality corner and show that he has come back from his injury.
Lets see Daniels continue to prove that he is a legitimate top receiving target in this league.

If everyone involved does their part, I am sure at least 2 if not all 3 of these guys will be back with the Texans one way or another.

Remember the Domanick Davis extension. We didn't have to give him the extension so early and we did and what happened? Dude was never the same and was a walking injury from that moment on. Why not keep the guy on the cheap and try and spend that expected surplus elsewhere

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 08-02-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read