Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2009   #41
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco not happy either

Taking a LB in the first round, and TWO tight ends in the middle rounds, might be an indication that the front office is prepared to let them walk. Right?

I guess since OD and DeMeco say some things, it must be true. All truth is found on those two players' side(s). They whine a little bit, and get a few pals on the team to support them, and it's suddenly Victim City around here. LOL.

IMO, DeMeco played awesome his rookie season, and he's underperformed every year since. Granted, there have been some injuries. But I don't blame a front office for perhaps taking those injuries into account when it comes time to make a long-term "deal" with ANY player.

Owen Daniels needs to block better, particularly in the running game, in order to command "top TE" money. His ability to stretch the field is not enough to be given a huge long-term deal that ranges in the top tier of TEs.

Both guys are class acts when they're not crying about their sad, pitiful position in life. For two guys who "aren't worried about this," and who "are out there just workin' like a hard-workin' man" they sure have a lot of instances in the media and on their personal blogs/sites where they talk at length about it.

I agree with the three posts prior to mine, btw. We have always wanted a front office that didn't hand over the keys of the money vault to the players. Now that we have it, there's this faction of people around here who suddenly want 2 of the 3 guys signed ASAP. Signing ASAP might need be so good a few years down the road. GMs and various staff in the front office have the whole picture to look at.

Last edited by GP; 07-31-2009 at 05:40 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #42
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
If we believe John McClain,
Another common denominator
Old 07-31-2009   #43
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Blame everything on Kellen Winslow, LOL!
Good one.

Sorry for the drive by nastyness everyone, I promise I won't do that again. (Today at least...LOL)

Hopefully we get Cushing signed soon so we can get past this aspect of football and just concentrate on praising the players when they do good and ripping them up when they don't.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
What's up with John McClain's reports on Texans players' contracts?

Isn't McClain the one who reported Dunta was offered NEAR Chris Gamble money? You say there's no shred of evidence for it. Do you think John McClain is misleading us?

Just wondering what your take is.
Old 07-31-2009   #45
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I understand that, but when the common man who pays his salary can't make ends meet, and many others are being laid off and foreclosed on, whining and bitching doesn't endear him to anyone, least not me.

One of my favortite bible passages says there is a time for Everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

What these guys need to realize is that the time is not now, and this is not the season to be greedy. They need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes as apparently thier feet have gotten too large. Proverbs 28 also says a greedy man stirs up dissension.

Be thankful you live in a country where you can make more than 99% of the population all for playing a game and when the season comes then you will prosper. All good things come to those who wait.
Great post Porky!
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #46
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
Quote:
What's up with John McClain's reports on Texans players' contracts?

Isn't McClain the one who reported Dunta was offered NEAR Chris Gamble money? You say there's no shred of evidence for it. Do you think John McClain is misleading us?

Just wondering what your take is.
I think John reports rumor as fact too much. He also puts a lot of weight on his opinion, stating them as facts. I think he writes good, correct information in many cases, but I think he's dead wrong in many cases too. I've seen examples where he repeatedly stated things as fact, when I knew he was incorrect from other people who would know. I watched with interest as events proved him wrong.

None of this necessarily makes him a "bad" sportswriter in my opinion, but readers shouldn't take his every utterance as fact. I'm sure the controversy enhances his readership too.

Basically I read John's stuff if it is interesting, but look for corroboration (other published reports or evidence) before giving it too much weight.

===

For instance he reported Chris Gamble type money for Dunta. Let's forget about our feelings about Dunta for this conversation, OK?

What is Gamble type money? Total contract value? What if very little was guaranteed, or bonus based? If so, "Gamble type money" would be very misleading We don't know for sure what McClain's statement means, or where he heard the rumor in the first place. I doubt it came from Smith or Robinson.

Furthermore, pretty much everyone is in agreement that Dunta would be a fool and a dolt to turn down Gamble money structured the same way. Many think Smith would be a fool and a dolt to offer Dunta that much.

For some reason though many find it easier to believe that both Dunta and Rick Smith are fools and dolts rather than question McClain's vague report.

I question the report.
Old 07-31-2009   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I guess since OD and DeMeco say some things, it must be true. All truth is found on those two players' side(s). They whine a little bit, and get a few pals on the team to support them, and it's suddenly Victim City around here. LOL.
I don't see anyone making them a victim. It's just business. Get what you can while you can, because the average NFL career is not that long.

I don't hear any "whining", either. I hope the next time you expect any kind of raise from your job your boss tells you to quit whining like a little punk. Be happy you have a job and all that jazz.

Nobody seems to ***** about what Mr. McNair makes off this team. He's part of this equation, as well. Ahh, but his lifetime exemption is the law of the land. He brought pro-football back to us after we refused to give the previous NFL owner in this town a new stadium.

Around and round we go, because we'll catch that tail one of these days!
Old 07-31-2009   #48
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For some reason though many find it easier to believe that both Dunta and Rick Smith are fools and dolts rather than question McClain's vague report.

I question the report.
awesome!!! repilicious!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #49
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

I like demco hes been a fine player but IMO is best days are behind him

And hes not like the best MLB in the game besides cant cushing also play MLB

heck i dont even think a team like pittsburg keeps all over the best players

u cant pay everybody top tier money
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #50
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I understand that, but when the common man who pays his salary can't make ends meet, and many others are being laid off and foreclosed on, whining and bitching doesn't endear him to anyone, least not me.

One of my favortite bible passages says there is a time for Everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

What these guys need to realize is that the time is not now, and this is not the season to be greedy. They need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes as apparently thier feet have gotten too large. Proverbs 28 also says a greedy man stirs up dissension.

Be thankful you live in a country where you can make more than 99% of the population all for playing a game and when the season comes then you will prosper. All good things come to those who wait.
Somebody's getting the money. All they're doing is fighting for what's theirs. Fans get angry at the wrong people a lot. Especially athletes.
Old 08-01-2009   #51
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think the front office is sending a message that 8-8 last year was NOT acceptable and you don't reward players for underachieving
Another 8-8 season, and the owner will be sending the front office (and coaching staff) a message. Likely on pink paper.
Old 08-01-2009   #52
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Somebody's getting the money. All they're doing is fighting for what's theirs. Fans get angry at the wrong people a lot. Especially athletes.
I don't understand how owning a team makes you the wrong person. It is employee vs. employer. In the NFL, employees are very well paid for what they do. Actually overpaid imho. Where does it stop. These guys have college degrees and go on to other careers after football. Don't feel sorry for them because their football careers are short.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #53
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I don't understand how owning a team makes you the wrong person. It is employee vs. employer. In the NFL, employees are very well paid for what they do. Actually overpaid imho. Where does it stop. These guys have college degrees and go on to other careers after football. Don't feel sorry for them because their football careers are short.

I don't understand how after the Enron's, the GM's and all the others that people still think the owners and bosses are always right and employees always wrong.

It's somewhere in the middle.
Old 08-01-2009   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
I don't understand how after the Enron's, the GM's and all the others that people still think the owners and bosses are always right and employees always wrong.

It's somewhere in the middle.
Don't get mad at me on this, runner, but it does come off like you lean pretty hard to the labor side.

Not saying you can't, or that it's wrong to do so, but you seem to swing that way. And sometimes our perceptions shape our analysis of other situations.
Old 08-01-2009   #55
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Crappy bottom-dwelling teams treat their good players like this on a regular basis. I hope this is not a trend that becomes the norm around here. Not a good sign to hear from one of our best players.

As far as OD is concerned, until someone else PROVES that he can fill his shoes, I think OD is The Man at TE.

Rick Smith is acting like we've got leverage. We don't. We are a perpetually mediocre to suck franchise, and until that changes with continuous winning seasons and playoff appears, we don't have the upper hand.
I think until we start winning divisions and championships the players don't have the upper hand.

DRob wants big money but we finish near the worst every year in pass D.

OD wants a big contract but can't find the EZ and we finish at the bottom of RZ scoring.

Meco wants a big contract but our run D and our short to medium pass D is consistantly exposed. He is no Ray Lewis.

6-10, 8-8, 8-8. We have finished last, last, and third in our division with a divisional record of 6-12 in that time period.

I thought we rewarded excellence not mediocrity.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009   #56
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Don't get mad at me on this, runner, but it does come off like you lean pretty hard to the labor side.

Not saying you can't, or that it's wrong to do so, but you seem to swing that way. And sometimes our perceptions shape our analysis of other situations.
I don't get mad at honest questions that aren't twisting my words around...

Up until a couple of years ago I was a big corporate/owner guy, and still am in most cases. Recent scandals and government bailouts can have the effect of changing views though, if the views are open to change. I've certainly softened my stance.

In sports, for the most part I have no sympathy with the baseball and basketball players. They have high salaries pretty much from top to bottom that are all guaranteed. Too many of those players cash in their big checks and then cash in their effort. Basketball players get $10s of millions to get away from teams now. It is ridiculous, but the owners share a big part of that blame too.

Football is a little different in that the salaries and career of the average player are short and relatively low compared to the other major sports. The risk of severe injury is high too. Combine that with the weak players union and the players often get the short end of the stick. The superstars (and unproven highly drafted rookies) get taken care of, but the average to lower player doesn't. In the past few years I've been privy to some of the machinations the coaches, front offices, and owners get away with (not just the Texans). I consider some things anywhere from unfair to unethical even if they are within the rules. For a team like the Texans who profess to "do the right thing", well, I'd like to see actions rather than PR blurbs.

So, based on my observations I do fall more readily to the player's side in a lot of football discussions, especially players that aren't outright jerks like the T.O.'s of the league. Overall though I doubt anyone would want me as a union rep.
Old 08-01-2009   #57
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think until we start winning divisions and championships the players don't have the upper hand.

DRob wants big money but we finish near the worst every year in pass D.

OD wants a big contract but can't find the EZ and we finish at the bottom of RZ scoring.

Meco wants a big contract but our run D and our short to medium pass D is consistantly exposed. He is no Ray Lewis.

6-10, 8-8, 8-8. We have finished last, last, and third in our division with a divisional record of 6-12 in that time period.

I thought we rewarded excellence not mediocrity.
Agreed. And the best players should get theirs and the worst players should get below average. I don't think every player on an 8-8 team should be paid the average at their position.
Old 08-01-2009   #58
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all posturing until somebody signs or is let go.

And I find it hard to believe that this FO is more laughed at than the Raiders/Lions/Redskins front offices around the league.

DRob has been acting like he wants to leave since the 2008 season ended. While McClains factual reporting might be erroneous I still think all 3 players were made offers and all 3 were turned down. If the Players don't want to play for what is being offered then they will probably leave and that is sad. But I don't get any feelings of Scroogery or penny-pinchery from the Texans FO. Hell this might be the first year we've had the chance to lose multiple decent (OD and Meco) or overhyped (DRob) in the next offseason. I actually like the idea that we have players that others covet (for once).
Old 08-01-2009   #59
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Another 8-8 season, and the owner will be sending the front office (and coaching staff) a message. Likely on pink paper.
I don't think you understand the difference between Kubiak's maginficent 8-8 season and the players' mediocre 8-8 season.
Old 08-01-2009   #60
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
So you're saying that players need to stop weasling the millions from the owners? It's ok for them to hang on to that money rather than giving it to their employees? The problem with America is that the top 5% of Americans control 95% of our wealth. I'm for the players here. Spread the wealth around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read