Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeMeco not happy either

Quote:
"It's a bad message when you look at it because you have top guys on the team not getting deals," Ryans said. "If they want to reward me, they'll reward me. If not, there are other teams out there that'll like to. I can't make them give me the deal."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6556278.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco not happy either

LOL, we're going to have replacement players in here soon!
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good thing for the Texans Dre got extended when he did and missed out on all this. He'd have probably bolted when the chance came if he was treated in a similar manner.
Old 07-31-2009   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

OD might be a little more expendable for us in the future with our depth at TE right now, but we really cannot afford to lose Demeco. Lock him up and give him the money he deserves.
Old 07-31-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Demeco should get a deal though. A pretty good one that's within reason though. Demeco's been a very good player and should be for a very long time. He's only going to be in his 4th year and it would be nice to have our MLB for a long time.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the front office is sending a message that 8-8 last year was NOT acceptable and you don't reward players for underachieving
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

WTH is the FO doing? How hard is to sign your top performers?
Old 07-31-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It's a good thing for the Texans Dre got extended when he did and missed out on all this. He'd have probably bolted when the chance came if he was treated in a similar manner.
I think AJ could almost name his price, especially this offseason after his 2008year. The only other player that perhaps would get that treatment is Mario, though I'm surprised that DeMeco hasn't been resigned yet.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Crappy bottom-dwelling teams treat their good players like this on a regular basis. I hope this is not a trend that becomes the norm around here. Not a good sign to hear from one of our best players.

As far as OD is concerned, until someone else PROVES that he can fill his shoes, I think OD is The Man at TE.

Rick Smith is acting like we've got leverage. We don't. We are a perpetually mediocre to suck franchise, and until that changes with continuous winning seasons and playoff appears, we don't have the upper hand.
Old 07-31-2009   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think the front office is sending a message that 8-8 last year was NOT acceptable and you don't reward players for underachieving
Coaching and the front office have some responsibility for the record too. It isb qually unacceptable for their job performance, right?
Old 07-31-2009   #11
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 70 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I hear the general consensus of the players is that they don't take care of "guys all ready here" and give away funny money to FA's like Jaques Reeves and Antonio Smith. Guys I know that have moved on to other teams say the Texans FO is a quiet joke around the NFL. I don't think it all comes from a bad attitude towards them but they say the mentality in other locker rooms is totally diffrent than here in Houston.
Old 07-31-2009   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
This is a pretty tough statement to make but I think it is also a very true one. Noone has taken a second to look at that perspective.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #13
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand this all takes time and is probably more complicated of a process than I will ever know, but c'mon Rick!! We need our players 100% focusing on the season and not if they're getting hosed.
Old 07-31-2009   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Demeco. He's a fine player.

Having said that, he's not a top tier player. He's in the second tier of MLBs in the league and certainly not irreplacable. Lets keep in mind that he's the 2nd best player on an average defense. If he resigns that is great but the world doesn't end if we have to draft a MLB next year.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Crappy bottom-dwelling teams treat their good players like this on a regular basis. I hope this is not a trend that becomes the norm around here. Not a good sign to hear from one of our best players.

As far as OD is concerned, until someone else PROVES that he can fill his shoes, I think OD is The Man at TE.

Rick Smith is acting like we've got leverage. We don't. We are a perpetually mediocre to suck franchise, and until that changes with continuous winning seasons and playoff appears, we don't have the upper hand.
Perennial contenders like the Patriots also treat their top players like this outside the one or two chosen players deemed irreplaceable. I'm not condoning the Texans actions by any means, but maybe the coaches and FO think they can get by without certain disgruntled players.

I know i'd hate to find out if that's true going into a season like this where expectations are so high and we've yet to have a winning season.
Old 07-31-2009   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Meco and OD will get their deals. While they would love to get paid now, they need to relaize that Rick Smith has been working on getting the players without contracts in (ie the rookies and DR). Cush will hopefully soon be signed. Smith can then turn his attention toward getting a new deal for meco and OD that is acceptable to them and cap friendly.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT CSTM View Post
From what I hear the general consensus of the players is that they don't take care of "guys all ready here" and give away funny money to FA's like Jaques Reeves and Antonio Smith. Guys I know that have moved on to other teams say the Texans FO is a quiet joke around the NFL. I don't think it all comes from a bad attitude towards them but they say the mentality in other locker rooms is totally diffrent than here in Houston.
The current FO, the previous one or both? No disrespect to the guys you know that have moved on but I honestly cannot think of a player we have lost to another team that I was really upset about. Now if we lose a couple of the guys currently unhappy about their situations my view on this could change pretty quickly.
Old 07-31-2009   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55535 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me call the Waaambulance for these guys. How do they make it on that salary?
Old 07-31-2009   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Quote:
I think AJ could almost name his price, especially this offseason after his 2008year. The only other player that perhaps would get that treatment is Mario, though I'm surprised that DeMeco hasn't been resigned yet.
I don't know. If he hadn't signed the extension and his original contract was running out, and then he publicly held out in "this economy", I think a segment of this board would talk about his greed, dropped passes, injuries, and the depth behind him to show he should be cut.
Old 07-31-2009   #20
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

My bigest concern is that every player seem to get some version of pissed which may go to how the Texans (specifically Rick Smith) are handling things which are pretty much the course of normal NFL business. There are always one or two who get mad, but seems like everybody comes away with some sort of distate in his mouth here.

Looking at this from Texans' management side, even if these players have performed well, I am not sure if it is good business (or football) to have 6 or 7 guys paid at the top 5 or their positions when the organization has never even made the playoffs much less won a playoff game.

There is a line of rewarding players for good performance and making players truly earn it. Think the Texans are in the process of trying to figure it out the balance.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read