Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans nfln top ten "snake bit" teams?

With the dawn of our most optimistic time of the year in our most optimistic season, I got to thinking about our past.

NFL Network is listing the top 10 snake bit teams on Friday. Do you think we make that list? Do you think we should? Are we too new? Does our historic IR record make us a top contender?

With the majority of the stars seemingly aligning what could go wrong? Surely it's our time... right?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans nfln top ten "snake bit" teams?

At this time of the year...it's every teams time.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we have enough history to be considered snakebit. Most of what we've gone through has been kinda normal for expansion teams. We vertainly got headed in the right direction faster than the sAints, Bucs or Falcons.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't think we have enough history to be considered snakebit. Most of what we've gone through has been kinda normal for expansion teams. We vertainly got headed in the right direction faster than the sAints, Bucs or Falcons.
I agree with this, but I still think we'll be on the list. People expect a new franchise to make the playoffs within 5 years, even though looking at how most of them have faired in the past will tell you otherwise. The Texans have not really been any better than their record has indicated (well, maybe a little due to our division), but things could be worse for a franchise in its first decade.

We will still get some negative attention until we actually win our division or a play-off game, which is likely to happen in the same year. Question is, "Which one?"

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with DocBar, the Texans haven't been around long enough to make a list like this. Now, if they had a top ten snake-bit "season" for teams, I bet we'd make that one, but not for the franchise as a whole. Just don't see it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I can only think of 5 that are really snake bit. Browns, Bengals, Oilers/tits(the come back and 1 yard short, ouch), the Falcons(back to back winning seasons plx), and of course the Lions.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I can only think of 5 that are really snake bit. Browns, Bengals, Oilers/tits(the come back and 1 yard short, ouch), the Falcons(back to back winning seasons plx), and of course the Lions.
Cardinals just got off that list. And of course the Aints.
Old 07-31-2009   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

#1 has to be the Buffalo Bills. #2 would have been Broncos but I guess Elway and those back to back Superbowl wins gets them off the list.

I don't think we have enough history to be considered. Maybe we could be #10 or something.

Bengals, Browns, Oilers should make the list. Ha! That's 75% of the old division....LOL
Old 07-31-2009   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Falcons being there. What about the Eagles? McNabb and Reid have been close, lot's of conference championship games, even broke through with TO there and fell short in the big game.
Old 07-31-2009   #10
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 329 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

What the hell does "snake bit" mean?
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #11
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
What the hell does "snake bit" mean?
Unlucky, jinxed, bad because they have a voodoo curse against them... etc.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I agree with Falcons being there. What about the Eagles? McNabb and Reid have been close, lot's of conference championship games, even broke through with TO there and fell short in the big game.
Are you snakebit if your QB is inaccurate in key games?
Old 07-31-2009   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Are you snakebit if your QB is inaccurate in key games?
No, I don't have a QB...

You make a good point, I was just brainstorming......(more like a shower).
Old 07-31-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

i meant McNabb.
Old 07-31-2009   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Buffalo HAS to be on any list to do with this. 4 Super Bowl loses IN A ROW?!?!?!? The Vikings get on that list, along with the Oilers/Tacks.
Old 07-31-2009   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Buffalo HAS to be on any list to do with this. 4 Super Bowl loses IN A ROW?!?!?!? The Vikings get on that list, along with the Oilers/Tacks.
I can understand calling Buffalo snakebit, but I'm of the train of thought that says four SB's in a row is pretty successful. Especially if it turns out Cards by virtue of their one apperarance takes them off that list. When I think of Buffalo and snakebite, I feel like the bitee and not the biter.
Old 07-31-2009   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I can understand calling Buffalo snakebit, but I'm of the train of thought that says four SB's in a row is pretty successful. Especially if it turns out Cards by virtue of their one apperarance takes them off that list. When I think of Buffalo and snakebite, I feel like the bitee and not the biter.
I thought about that and decided that 1 or 2 SB loses is just bad luck. 4, on the other hand is snakebit. There just ain't no way in hell you were destined to win one. The one appearance thing goes with the Tacks, also. They made it to one, so they aren't snakebit, even though I suffered thru every season with them from my 1st game in 1975 or so til 1994. There were some heartbreaking playoff losses in those 20 yrs.
Old 07-31-2009   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought about that and decided that 1 or 2 SB loses is just bad luck. 4, on the other hand is snakebit. There just ain't no way in hell you were destined to win one. The one appearance thing goes with the Tacks, also. They made it to one, so they aren't snakebit, even though I suffered thru every season with them from my 1st game in 1975 or so til 1994. There were some heartbreaking playoff losses in those 20 yrs.
Yeah, both ways of looking at it is understandable. I'll be watching here in a minute!.
Old 07-31-2009   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

There you go Doc! #10..lol. I'm watching the carnage.
Old 07-31-2009   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Yeah, both ways of looking at it is understandable. I'll be watching here in a minute!.
That is a COOL avatar, BTW!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read