Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2009   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Re-sign Zgonina

Wow, just as I was ragging on his performance, we re-sign him. Did I know Okoye had a scope?

Quote:
The Texans are re-signing defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina because Travis Johnson and Amobi Okoye are recovering from surgery.

Zgonina, 39, spent the last two seasons as a reserve with the Texans. His contract expired after last season.

The defense needs him because Johnson had surgery to repair a sports hernia four weeks ago and Okoye underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in June.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6554535.html
Old 07-30-2009   #2
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Re-sign Zgonina

There have been reports about Okoye's scope for a while now but everything indicated that he would be 100 percent by camp. This signing is a bit of a bummer if it means that Amobi is not fully recovered.
Old 07-30-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Zgonina is also a long snapper, iirc, so maybe they are looking for more versatility
Old 07-30-2009   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Ultimately I think he'll be not much more then a camp body.

I think Josh Leonard has more potential to make an impact then Zgonina.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Any truth to the rumor that Ahman Green is in negotiations?
Old 07-30-2009   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Ultimately I think he'll be not much more then a camp body.

I think Josh Leonard has more potential to make an impact then Zgonina.
Unfortunately, I think Leonard will not make it!
The Texans loved Zgonina's work ethic so I don't mind see him in camp either.
But I will be surprised if he makes the roster for another year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Agree on Leonard not making it, I like his speed and athleticism though.

I like Zgonina's work ethic and the fact that's he's 39 and wanting to suit up for another TC says a lot about the guy. That's something I don't think I could see out of a guy like TJ, suiting up at 38-39 and making a team.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like Zgonina's work ethic and the fact that's he's 39 and wanting to suit up for another TC says a lot about the guy. That's something I don't think I could see out of a guy like TJ, suiting up at 38-39 and making a team.
You always hope something would rub off of Zgonina onto TJ!

BTW, just a reminder, if anybody goes to TC, can you check out DE Tim Jamison please. I really like his motor!
Old 07-30-2009   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

the man is always the first to take the field every game. that shows me someone who's ready to play the game every week.
Old 07-30-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

I can agree with y'all on work ethic, but if he ends up being more than just camp fodder we're in trouble. He might've been a good DT at one time, he was, by far, our worst DT last season.

I doubt I'd be surprised if he made the team, but I'd surely be disappointed.
Old 07-30-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can agree with y'all on work ethic, but if he ends up being more than just camp fodder we're in trouble. He might've been a good DT at one time, he was, by far, our worst DT last season.

I doubt I'd be surprised if he made the team, but I'd surely be disappointed.
I know what you mean!
Old 07-30-2009   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If he's on the roster for game 1 something went wrong somewhere.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #13
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't seem to understand why athletic's wait a month or 2 before the season's about to start to have surgery.. if Amobi knew he needed surgery he should have gotten it done 2 weeks - a month after the season was over.. do some of these guys really want to play.. or just sit back and collect a check
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #14
Polo

Unexpected.
Old 07-30-2009   #15
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Best case scenerio: He's a warm body that's an insurance policy, not expected to be the starter like last season at times.

Something good out of this is that Okam should see some significant playing time. We should know wheter or not he's worth a roster spot or not. He dedicated himself to losing weight this offseason, let's see if his hard work is going to pay off on the field.
Old 07-30-2009   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BTW, just a reminder, if anybody goes to TC, can you check out DE Tim Jamison please. I really like his motor!
I second this. I've got hopes for this kid and I was happy when we got him UDFA.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read