Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-08-2014   #1
ArmyBengal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Any Advice

Hey everyone,

Bengals fan here, but attached to the Texans. I was in the Army for 21 years and lived in Texas for 11 of those between Foot Hood and Fort Sam Houston. My oldest son was born in San Antonio and is turning 8 soon.

I raised him to be a Bengals fan (you know I have to originally be from Cincinnati for that to happen right?), but as he got older he understood being born in Texas and came to me a couple years back and said, "I'm a Texans fan Daddy !!!"

I went all into supporting him in that call and decked out his room in Texans gear, got him a JJ Watt jersey (beast), and he was even a Texans football player for Halloween. This year for his birthday, him and I will be coming to Houston to catch the Bengals and Texans game. We got tickets in section 608 in the front row.

Anyway, I saw where the theme for that game in "Salute to Service". What a coincidence huh? What do they typically do before or during the game? Is there a kids area that we could get there early and do some things before the game starts?

I'm just looking for some friendly advice so I can make the trip for my son a really good time.
Thanks for anyone willing to offer up some suggestions or advice !!!
ArmyBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 412969 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any Advice

I am sure you will get good advice from others but one thing to do is email the Texans, give them your story, tell them you are from out of town and want advice to make it as special for your son as possible. The Texans are a bureaucracy so sometimes things like that get lost, but if not they are also very generous reaching out. It's worth a shot. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2014   #3
TLontheDL
Rookie

Wear your uniform to the game. You may be featured on the jumbo screen. Please give a shout out to me if you do for giving you this tip!

Im jk! Thank you for serving our country!
TLontheDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #4
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 81737 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLontheDL View Post
Wear your uniform to the game. You may be featured on the jumbo screen. Please give a shout out to me if you do for giving you this tip!

Im jk! Thank you for serving our country!
I know the wearing of the uniform outside of duty hours is somewhat frowned upon these days. It's very difficult to get my son into uniform even for pictures, though he will reluctantly. i guess at some point they wanted a low profile, but I was always supportive of the men in uniform, even during the dark days of Vietnam when it wasn't cool.
New fan of #21 Kendrick Lewis and #94 Ryan Pickett. ps I just realized why, they TACKLE!

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #5
ArmyBengal
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respectedArmyBengal is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope, no wearing of the uniform unless there in some official capacity.
Now that i'm 3 years into retirement, it doesn't quite fit as well as it once did.
I heard about this thing called "fat and happy" and thought i'd give it a shot.
I'm halfway there.
Old 08-13-2014   #6
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't promise it, but if you will give your exact location in the stadium, seat numbers and everything, I know the main camera man that puts people on the big screen, and I will text him your seat info and as long as he is still the cameraman he will at least put you and your son on the big screen. Its way fun, so have your camera ready. Let's talk as it gets closer and remind me. But I would write the Texans too.

As far as places before the game for your son, I THINK they usually have a section set up between Reliant and the Astrodome for kids stuff. Not sure whats over there, but there is always something going on.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #7
ArmyBengal
Rookie

Great thanks. I will definately keep in touch with the big screen. My son would go nuts.

Thanks !!!
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2014   #8
Lauren
Nom Nom Nom

Rep Power: 45762 Lauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respected

Tailgating groups here are always happy to welcome visitors! Most of them involve various levels of debauchery, but are also kid friendly. Check the week of the game in the sub-forms above for details.

Have fun!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
Tailgating groups here are always happy to welcome visitors! Most of them involve various levels of debauchery, but are also kid friendly. Check the week of the game in the sub-forms above for details.

Have fun!

Lauren,

How about "Blue Crew" in the Northwest corner of "Platinum Lot" that welcome visitors AND are "kid friendly"!
Old 08-14-2014   #10
ArmyBengal
Rookie

It should be fun. I expect a lot of "You need to talk to your dad kid" as he will have his JJ Watt jersey on and I of course will be sporting my Bengals Geno Atkins jersey. I think it's great that he picked the Texans to root for because I spent 11 of my 21 years in Texas and have many friends still down there that are Texans fans. As long as the Texans and Bengals aren't playing against each other, i'm rooting for them. I can't say that about most teams.
Old 08-14-2014   #11
Lauren
Nom Nom Nom

Rep Power: 45762 Lauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Lauren,

How about "Blue Crew" in the Northwest corner of "Platinum Lot" that welcome visitors AND are "kid friendly"!
I started to specify Blue Crew, but erased it because I didn't want to leave anyone out. xoxo You know how much I love y'all!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I started to specify Blue Crew, but erased it because I didn't want to leave anyone out. xoxo You know how much I love y'all!
I know! I was just trolling you!
Old 08-14-2014   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Lauren,

We leave the debauchery part to Bill.
Old 08-15-2014   #14
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBengal View Post
It should be fun. I expect a lot of "You need to talk to your dad kid" as he will have his JJ Watt jersey on and I of course will be sporting my Bengals Geno Atkins jersey. I think it's great that he picked the Texans to root for because I spent 11 of my 21 years in Texas and have many friends still down there that are Texans fans. As long as the Texans and Bengals aren't playing against each other, i'm rooting for them. I can't say that about most teams.
Your kid will have a blast high fiveing ppl while you get all the dirty looks!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
ArmyBengal
Rookie

So we are headed down this Saturday for the game and my son is all sorts of fired up.
He has had trouble sleeping because he is so excited to see the game Sunday.

We will be getting down there early to walk around, check out the tailgating, and stop by the kids area. My son already has planned things to look for in the pro shop, so that will be a stop along the way as well.

Is the roof usually closed during the games ?? Not like weather is a concern with temps in the 70's this weekend, but just wondering. Looking forward to that as well, seeing as how I woke up to cold temps and 4 inches of snow this morning.

Again, I appreciate any and all thoughts !!!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBengal View Post
So we are headed down this Saturday for the game and my son is all sorts of fired up.
He has had trouble sleeping because he is so excited to see the game Sunday.

We will be getting down there early to walk around, check out the tailgating, and stop by the kids area. My son already has planned things to look for in the pro shop, so that will be a stop along the way as well.

Is the roof usually closed during the games ?? Not like weather is a concern with temps in the 70's this weekend, but just wondering. Looking forward to that as well, seeing as how I woke up to cold temps and 4 inches of snow this morning.

Again, I appreciate any and all thoughts !!!
It could be 70 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and they'll keep the roof closed.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 118212 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
It could be 70 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky and they'll keep the roof closed.
I think sometimes they do that to keep the noise in...
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a perfect 72 degree day and not a cloud in the sky for the Philly game and they kept the lid shut. This Sunday, there's a chance for some rain in the morning so the roof operator likely gets another day off.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
It was a perfect 72 degree day and not a cloud in the sky for the Philly game and they kept the lid shut. This Sunday, there's a chance for some rain in the morning so the roof operator likely gets another day off.
A) I'm not sure there is a "roof operator"
B) I'm not even sure the roof is even operable anymore.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
ArmyBengal
Rookie

Leaving in the morning and hope to drop by some of the areas.
I'll be the guy with the black Geno Atkins jersey and my boy with a blue Watt jersey.
Take care and good luck !!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read