Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2009   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Myth or reality: Did the Texans defense improve in the second half of last year?

Topic of my recent Chron blog post:

Did the Texans defense improve in the second half of last year?

Previous post was talking about going into training camp with the offense, but before I broke down the defense, I wanted to talk about this subject.

Might be obvious to some, not so much to others. I'm not so sure it is interesting to read, but it was interesting to write.

Ultimately I want to be like this next year:
Old 07-29-2009   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myth or reality: Did the Texans defense improve in the second half of last year?

They were not statically better in the second half, but they did make the kind of plays they had to in order to come away with the victory.

The first half of the season if the other team needed to score to win they just walked over the defense and did it. Best example @ Jags.

The second half when we had to have a stop or it was over they stood up and made the plays. Best example vs Titans.

I think just getting healthy will be the biggest improvement on defense this season. D-Rob, Okoye, Adibi, Diles etc. missed games or were badly hampered by injuries when they were able to play.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Myth or reality: Did the Texans defense improve in the second half of last year?

IMO, it seemed that the D started flying around more in the 2nd half of the season. Especially with DROB on the field. With DROB on the field, it seemed like the entire unit played a little looser and more relaxed. Maybe that's because of the way DROB plays, the fact that he's a leader on D or maybe it's all in my head. The D as a whole played far too timidly last season.
Old 07-30-2009   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

yes & theres a much simpler reason than dvoa etc. the defences job is to stop points being scored. we did that a hell of alot better at the end of the season. not to mention the D occassionally coming through (v GB, Titans) where they didnt earlier in the season (Jags, Miami)

steelers 38
titans 31
jags 30
colts 31
miami 28
lions 21
cinci 6
vikes 28
ravens 41
colts 33
28.7 average points conceded/ game

browns 6
jags 17
gb 21
titans 12
raiders 27
bears 24
17.8 av ppg conceded

10 points/ game better is a huge difference
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
yes & theres a much simpler reason than dvoa etc. the defences job is to stop points being scored. we did that a hell of alot better at the end of the season. not to mention the D occassionally coming through (v GB, Titans) where they didnt earlier in the season (Jags, Miami)

steelers 38
titans 31
jags 30
colts 31
miami 28
lions 21
cinci 6
vikes 28
ravens 41
colts 33

browns 6
jags 17
gb 21
titans 12
raiders 27
bears 24
17.8 av ppg conceded

In the first group there were 7 games that were against playoff teams. There was 1 in the second group. I'm not sure our D got better as the season progressed or not, but I do know the competition dropped towards the 2nd half. Plus the fact we made the Raiders look like a top rated offense when they actually sucked.
Old 07-30-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
In the first group there were 7 games that were against playoff teams. There was 1 in the second group. I'm not sure our D got better as the season progressed or not, but I do know the competition dropped towards the 2nd half. Plus the fact we made the Raiders look like a top rated offense when they actually sucked.
That was my first thought. Aside from GB, there were no exceptional offenses in that second group.
Old 07-30-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have a long way to go. I also think we have the personnel to go a long ways.
Old 07-30-2009   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think we have a long way to go. I also think we have the personnel to go a long ways.
just like all but about ten teams...thats...why....they....play...the....game. (in my best boomer voice)

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
just like all but about ten teams...thats...why....they....play...the....game. (in my best boomer voice)
Yes, but how do they playe the game? ONE DAY AT A TIME in your best boomer voice.
Old 07-30-2009   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
IMO, it seemed that the D started flying around more in the 2nd half of the season. Especially with DROB on the field. With DROB on the field, it seemed like the entire unit played a little looser and more relaxed. Maybe that's because of the way DROB plays, the fact that he's a leader on D or maybe it's all in my head. The D as a whole played far too timidly last season.
Maybe it's just me, but I think Dunta gets too much credit for the "mid-season/ late season turnaround" on defense. It's not like he played lights out when he returned, but I do agree that where was a sort of emotional lift having him back. I think coincidentally around the same time Morlon Greenwood was replaced by Adibi in the lineup and I can't help but wonder what game they started hand cuffing Richard Smith in play calling.

They did also play a weaker schedule the last 6 games, but the win of the Titans they did exactly what they needed to do. Kept the Titans running game in check and let Kerry Collins and the WR corps try to win the game. It looked like as if they actually went in the game with a plan on defense.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that's why DVOA is handy. It looks at quality of competition. Whether the Texans defense were playing great offenses or poor offenses, they played poorly, even if the opposing offense was too inept to hang 30 on the team.

Also looking at total points is some ways unfair to the defense because it counts points relating to turnovers. The DVOA stat looks play by play and compares your team's performance to all the other team's performances in the same circumstances.
Old 07-30-2009   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Here's my assessment of the defensive roster:

Houston Texans training camp preview - Defense

It's a continuation of looking at the statement said in the Chronicle the other day, "The Texans have few glaring holes in their roster and depth at most every position."

I suggest not reading what I wrote if you just ate lunch. Tries to consolidate some info in one place. Has a few things that hard core fans might not know but also some stuff for more casual fans.
Old 07-30-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry TC, but I have to guard strongly against stats.
30 some years ago, I love stats, I fidget with numbers all the time.
But with football, I realize that there are too many variables that cannot be controlled, especially if you want to use them for comparative analysis!

The Defense that was better, IMHO, and I have said this before, is the one that had DRob, Ferguson, Wilson, Adibi, Bentley, Bulman, Deljuan, Nading in there to complement our core players.
(Adibi did not play the last two games... and as HouTex found out, Ferguson is not All-World, but he's not Harrison either!)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's my assessment of the defensive roster:

Houston Texans training camp preview - Defense

It's a continuation of looking at the statement said in the Chronicle the other day, "The Texans have few glaring holes in their roster and depth at most every position."

I suggest not reading what I wrote if you just ate lunch. Tries to consolidate some info in one place. Has a few things that hard core fans might not know but also some stuff for more casual fans.
Oddly, Your post is strangely pessimistic. Funny, I am feeling exactly the same way. Wierd how some days you wake up and just think... we're gonna suck. Other days, we're saving money for playoff tickets.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #15
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans were better in 2nd half of season.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

We had all better pray( athiests included- I LOLed at that line)that the hope and change we get is a decidedly different brand than a certain President promised. The more it changes, the more it stays the same!! Just remember, the glass is neither half full nor half empty. It was just engineered twice as big as it needed to be.
Old 07-31-2009   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm praying.

And I'm agnostic.

So, I'm praying to every god and goddess I can think of.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm praying.

And I'm agnostic.

So, I'm praying to every god and goddess I can think of.

I hope you have better luck than I've had. The Football Gods put me on ignore a few seasons ago.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
steelers 38
titans 31
jags 30
colts 31
miami 28
lions 21
cinci 6
vikes 28
ravens 41
colts 33

browns 6
jags 17
gb 21
titans 12
raiders 27
bears 24
17.8 av ppg conceded

I'm at work, otherwise I'd do it myself. But I wonder what was the avg points scored by those teams. Holding the Browns the Raiders to 27 points doesn't look good to start with. If we find out they normally scored 13 points per game, it's even worse. The Browns.... what if they only scored 8 points a game?

Quote:
Doesn't really mean much, but the Bears would have gone to the play-offs, had we not beat them.
Old 07-31-2009   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm at work, otherwise I'd do it myself. But I wonder what was the avg points scored by those teams. Holding the Browns the Raiders to 27 points doesn't look good to start with. If we find out they normally scored 13 points per game, it's even worse. The Browns.... what if they only scored 8 points a game?
Quote:

steelers 38
titans 31
jags 30
colts 31
miami 28
lions 21
cinci 6
vikes 28
ravens 41
colts 33

browns 6
jags 17
gb 21
titans 12
raiders 27
bears 24
17.8 av ppg conceded
avg ppg

steelers 21.7
titans 23.4
jags 18.9
colts 23.6
miami 21.6
lions 16.75
cinci 12.8
vikes 23.7
ravens 24.1
colts 23.6

browns 14.5
Jags 18.9
GB 26.2
Titans 23.4
Raiders 16.4
Bears 23.4

you're right, the raiders was a bad day for us but the whole team was terrible that day & they actually started playing ok at the end of the year. for the bears game we were average (which is a step up for us) & the rest we held them all well in under their scoring average. compare that to the first 10 games where we were awful every week & you can see why we improved imo

Last edited by Maddict5; 07-31-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read