Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Did 1st/2nd rnd picks miss TC?

So training camp opened up for rookies today, did Barwin and Cushing miss the first day because they haven't signed contracts? I hope this doesn't set them back too much....unless the contract signings were kept a secret from the media...details anyone??
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Did 1st/2nd rnd picks miss TC?

I don't think they'll miss too much the first couple of days. But it's time to lock them up.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
So training camp opened up for rookies today, did Barwin and Cushing miss the first day because they haven't signed contracts? I hope this doesn't set them back too much....unless the contract signings were kept a secret from the media...details anyone??
We've actually got 4 unsigned draft picks at the moment. Cushing, Barwin, Caldwell, and Casey. I realize that Caldwell and Casey are expected to sign tomorrow but they're not signed yet. You've got a very good question. Did they just miss camp too because a signed contract was not in place yet?
Old 07-26-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Its possible that all signed contracts this morning and it just hasn't been reported yet right???
Old 07-27-2009   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I must be missing something.

this from James Casey diary on the official site;
Quote:
I have to, because our first day to report is the 26th and our first practice is the 31st, so I don't have much longer to get to signing. I really don't know anything about the situation
First day to report is different from having to be in camp. The 30th is the last day to report for veterans and they have their run test. The 31st is the first day in pads on the field.

But I have not seen an official Rookies have to be in on the 25th anywhere.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #6
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 612 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey said on Facebook they had an agreement and he was ready to get started.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

What does "reporting to camp" entail for a rookie? Over the years We've only had one player miss any time in camp and it was 1 day I believe. I don't remember hearing anything about Brown missing time last year. So perhaps there's nothing to it.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What does "reporting to camp" entail for a rookie? Over the years We've only had one player miss any time in camp and it was 1 day I believe. I don't remember hearing anything about Brown missing time last year. So perhaps there's nothing to it.
Brown signed the day camp started. Remember they said he showed up wearing his cleats when he signed his deal? He ran out on to the field as practice was just getting started.

They go by the first day of actual camp, which is the 31st this year.
Old 07-27-2009   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I remember that. I was asking what the "rookies reporting" means. Was that Sunday or today? Does it mean anything at all? Do they have film study sessions etc.? Or do they actually not "report" until everyone does on Thursday?

Man, I ask more questions than a John McClain article.
Old 07-27-2009   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I remember that. I was asking what the "rookies reporting" means. Was that Sunday or today? Does it mean anything at all? Do they have film study sessions etc.? Or do they actually not "report" until everyone does on Thursday?

Maybe, but at least you ask intelligent questions.
McCalin asks, " Have you seen my movie, you know the one I have a small part in, but I am going to continue to pimp here anyway becuase I have nothing better to say"

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

I was actually referencing his recent blog post in which he asks 43 (brb.com was kind enough to count them) questions about the Texans. I was poking fun at him but that post is actually worth a read. He really pinpoints pretty much every major question that effects our success this upcoming year.

here it is if anyone is interested:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/07/a...hit_field.html

EDIT:
wierd, so I was just reading some of the comments on that blog post and I found some of my questions answered!

Quote:
John, The NFL website says that Texan rookies had to report yesterday (7/26). Is this true, and if so, what are the rookies doing until Friday?

{Allen, rookies always report early but don't go ont the field and aren't available to the media until Thursday. -- JOHN}

Last edited by barrett; 07-27-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2009   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Do they report early even if they are unsigned? If so, wouldn't this dampen their leverage as opposed to a holdout?
Old 07-27-2009   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...shall-arrives/

"One league source said the hold up with first-round negotiations _ only four of 32 had signed by Monday morning _ was San Francisco’s Michael Crabtree. The receiver from Texas Tech was a No. 10 overall draft pick but he is seeking top 3 money.

If Crabtree gets top 3 money at No. 10, then the picks around him _ Moreno was selected at No. 12 overall _ would negotiate their contracts accordingly."

If Crabtree is really the one holding all of the other 1st rounders hostage than that's really messed up. This whole rookie wage scale is messed up.
Old 07-27-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's a range.

Yesterday was the first day they COULD report but it wasn't a drop-dead date for them TO report. The 31st is the last day they're supposed to report. If they don't sign & report before that day, then they're holding out.

No one is holding out, yet. No one has missed anything, yet.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Thus endeth the thread (at least until Friday please?).
Old 07-27-2009   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...shall-arrives/

"One league source said the hold up with first-round negotiations _ only four of 32 had signed by Monday morning _ was San Francisco’s Michael Crabtree. The receiver from Texas Tech was a No. 10 overall draft pick but he is seeking top 3 money.

If Crabtree gets top 3 money at No. 10, then the picks around him _ Moreno was selected at No. 12 overall _ would negotiate their contracts accordingly."

If Crabtree is really the one holding all of the other 1st rounders hostage than that's really messed up. This whole rookie wage scale is messed up.
There no way on earth he gets top-three $$ (base), the CBA forbids it (directly), but...

He can negotiate a signing bonus / incentives that can make it worth that $$ eventually.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Brown signed the day camp started. Remember they said he showed up wearing his cleats when he signed his deal? He ran out on to the field as practice was just getting started.

They go by the first day of actual camp, which is the 31st this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's a range.

Yesterday was the first day they COULD report but it wasn't a drop-dead date for them TO report. The 31st is the last day they're supposed to report. If they don't sign & report before that day, then they're holding out.

^^^This^^^ is what I was trying to say with my previous post. I was too stupid at the time to correctly type what I was thinking.
Old 07-27-2009   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It really is time for a wage scale. This has gotten ridiculous.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do they report early even if they are unsigned? If so, wouldn't this dampen their leverage as opposed to a holdout?
No, only signed rookies.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read