Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-03-2005   #1
cOWboy H8r

Default Who Is Our Franchise Player?

Right now I think we have 2 franchise players. Dunta Robinson on Defense and Andre Johnson on Offense. Robinson is a BIG TIME Playmaker and is just awsome to watch, aready one of the top corners in the league. Johnson is also a BIG TIME Playmaker, but tends to get held back because of the Offense we run. I sure would Hate to lose him, but I Hate to see a GREAT talent go to waste. Thats what will happen if we dont start finding ways to get him the ball. I was at that last game vs. Cleveland when they only threw to him (A PRO BOWLER) about 3 or 4 times the whole game. I really think we had another Franchise player, but we might have messed him up for good. David Carr had the star power coming into the league, but thanks to the Texans lack of protection he has really taken a beating. He is still young and I have not given up on him, but if we dont start protecting him I would hope he would want to move on. Like I said before I HATE to see good talent to go to WASTE!
Old 02-03-2005   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Without a doubt Andre Johnson is our franchise player right now anyways.
Old 02-03-2005   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

At this time, Andre is the franchise...
Old 02-04-2005   #4
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone out here on the left coast all talk about David Carr. Most of them can't tell you another Texan's name. Maybe it's the Fresno State thing. But I don't think so. There were some people that I talked to who didn't Carr came from Fresno. I just hope that he has the intestinal fortitude to deal with the o-line problems.
Old 02-04-2005   #5
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely DAVID CARR!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

MVP on our team is AJ. if DC got hurt and Banks came in .. We'd be okay. Losing AJ and you have Bradford/Gaffney out there...we lose the threat that teams have to double AJ and that just brings one more guy up closer to the line and we know how we can't block anyone anyway at this point.

mvp on the defense... got to go with a tie.. Jamie Sharpe doesn't get the highlight film that Dante gets but I can't imagine our defense without him. And statwise Dante would get a share.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #7
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

The first two years .. MVP had to be Jamie Sharper

His age and wear & tear are starting to show now. But he has given everything he's got to the Texans. Someone else is going to have to step up for the future.

JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Without a doubt Andre Johnson is our franchise player right now anyways.
Amen ! You know, one way or the other, AJ will be here for a long time.
Carr is the only other player in this conversation, but at this point in his career, poor Dave has the same problem some golphers have when they stand
over a putt - the yips, except his occurs when he stands behind his OL. Gotta get that problem solved before we're sure he's our long term QB.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
golphers
Golphers? Is that a small rodent that pops out of the cup and tries to keep the golf ball from going in? Would definitely make the game more interesting.
Old 02-04-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually it's a hybrid: small, white rodent with dimples that has a tail.
You got me man - I can't spell, never could, probably never will be able to.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #11
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

it's andre and here's why...without andre we turn into a one dimensional team...he's the only player on this team that the press wants to talk about...while carr is a good young qb he's more known for getting sacked and losing his control after getting hit early than being a good qb...as for dunta he's a defensive player and most of the time the defensive players get looked over for an offensive player
Old 02-04-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr, Andre Johnson, and if Dunta continues to play like he has.. it will be Dunta Robinson too.

You dont have to have just ONE franchise player .. and at this point.. none of these three have shown themselves to be head and shoulders above the other two.. so there isnt one specific one that i would point to as OUR GUY.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #13
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I would say Sharper as well, can you think of what the defense would be like with out him?
Old 02-04-2005   #14
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Andre Johnson, nuff said
Old 02-04-2005   #15
THEFUTURE
All Pro

our franchise is really based on a three headed monster of DC, DD, and AJ... our offense as of now is designed to run through DD, with big play possibility from DC to AJ... i think without any one of those three we would be in trouble.. if there is a defensive franchise player it definatly has to be Junior Ioane (haha ) but no seriously, i think its aaron glenn tied with sharper, those two players show more leadership for our defense then anyone else as of now
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This discussion beats 2002 when Chad Stanley was without a doubt our franchise player. Chad was THE MAN that year. It's so much better now. Sometimes I have to stop myself and remember what it was like just a few short seasons ago.

Right now I'm going to say that if the Texans have a franchise player then he's probably on defense and I'm not even completely sold on the idea that they do have one. On offense you've got a lot of candidates for that title. Carr gets a nod of course and AJ does too. Both of them are right there and just one really good season from proving that they are that guy. DD has made something of a case for himself as well. On defense you've got Sharper of course and Wong has stepped things up a lot. Dunta looked like he's definitely on his way to being a franchise player.

So many things on this team were up and down last year that it's hard to say that one particular guys stood out as, what in my mind I consider to be a true franchise player. Lots of guys played good enough to be valid candidates but nobody was head and shoulders above the rest of the contenders.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I like that we're building a team that's really a team and not a team that's got one guy who literally IS the identity of the team. We need leaders of course and I can see some guys growing into that. It's coming along nicely I think.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 190768 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think franchise player is the player most teams want . This is Andre Johnson . I'm putting Dunta second then Carr .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #18
El_DudeArino
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to El_DudeArino Send a message via Yahoo to El_DudeArino
Default My vote

is for

PEEK
Old 02-04-2005   #19
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

I would say its the Water Boy, he keeps all of our guys hydrated.
Old 02-04-2005   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say AJ only because he's the one player I hear and read other teams fans and the TV guys talking about. Close second would be David but I'll say AJ.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read