Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-23-2009   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb let me start the back up qb thread.....vick ?

im not saticfied with the backups.....and vick well is vick good when he wants to and the dog thing.....messed him up

would yall be willing with vick being our back up i dont think he would be a starter ever agin

1 down side is.... that if matt gets hurt vick is relly good then the ....i want vick as starter thread gos up =/

would u risk that serius hes a relly good runing qp ?

i highly doupt this just a tought

im doing this as im typeing so what yall think yes or no

i think yes....

if.....

he stays back up
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #2
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: let me start the back up qb thread.....vick ?

vick met with goodell a couple days ago so i taught i would type this
Old 07-23-2009   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't want or need Vick here. Are you serious with these threads you are starting lately? The other thread you started wanting to replace Kubiak with Shanahan was worse than this one.

Just relax and let the season start. You will be very suprised how well off the Texans are with the coaches and players they currently have.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they didn't sign Grossman , I might have thought there was a chance . Why ... cause he could be a force starting out in the wildcat and he knows some folks from his Atlanta days that are here .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #5
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

i no we dont want him!

just saying.....

dan i dont think can cary the load

heck i dont relly want vick

i was wandering what yall taught of they whole thing
Old 07-23-2009   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

No. I believe that backups are supposed to be similar to the starters. That way the offense can continue on with little set back, all the plays and formations are still open. Sage was a great backup, and Orvlovsky looks like he has the tools to be very solid in that aspect.

Vick was never a good quarterback. Do not be fooled by the pro bowls, VY made it as a rookie with more picks than TD's. He never showed he had the ability to be a real quarterback. He will best be suited somewhere that runs a wildcat, as that is the extent of his abilities.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #7
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

ok i was just thinking maby there was a chance grossman could go 2 p,s, but guess not please dont get mad at me i was just wandering what yall taught of the idea
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2009   #8
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

*shakes head*

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
ok i was just thinking maby there was a chance grossman could go 2 p,s, but guess not please dont get mad at me i was just wandering what yall taught of the idea
I dont think so. He has played in too many games, he is no longer eligible. Anyway, the practice squad is for developmental players. We have a good idea of Grossman's abilities.
Old 07-23-2009   #10
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

nvm thanks for leting me no becuse when i watched this od vid ( other post)

he said he wouldent mind vick so had me wondering
Old 07-23-2009   #11
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

vick as a qb? no thanks. he is talented like vy, but not a pro qb. plus who needs the drama
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL team that eventually ends up with Vick will certainly at least at every "away" game will turn that team into a travelling

There may be additional "train wreck" gallery tickets sold........and certainly there will be a need for an additional enormous supply of popcorn.

Yeh, bring it on.......................on SOMEONE ELSE'S TEAM!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do I have to straighten some of you guys out every other day?!

One of the biggest myths in football is that Michael Vick is an elite Quarterback. This myth has been perpetuated by the media and regurgitated by people that blindly listen to what BSPN tells you and does not independently research anything.

So, lets look at some numbers because afterall, I am a numbers guy:

Lets look at the following seasons:
2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006. (We leave out 2001 because he only started 8 games and 2003 because he was injured and only started 5 games).

Over that time span he had the following mean numbers per year:

Passing
303.4 passes attempted, passing accuracy of 54.7%, 2,027 yards passed, 13.6 tds, 9.6 int, 31.4 sacks, and 61.7 QB rating.

Rushing
91.6 rushing attempts, 609 rushing yards, 3.4 rushing tds, 2.6 fumbles, and 1 fumble lost.

So, if we break those numbers down further,(down to a by game mean) we see more evidence.

18.96 passes, 126.69 passing yards, 0.85 tds, 0.6 ints
5.7 rushes, 38.06 yards rushing, 0.21 tds, 0.16 fumbles, 0.06 fumbles lost.

So, we we look at his total offense production we have:
164.75 yards, 1.06 tds, 0.82 losing the ball.

total yds/ game puts up at #28 in the league.
total tds puts him at #15 in the league.
Completion % puts him at #32
sacks puts him at #24

So, if we convert 32 into quartiles(since there are 32 teams with 1 starting QB per team) we have the following:
Quartile 1: 1-7
Quartile 2: 8-15
Quartile 3: 16-23
Quartile 4: 24-32

Vick would be in 3 quartile 4 categories(sacks, total yards, completion %) and in Quartile 2 for total tds.

These numbers certainly do not suggest elite Quarterback to me. If anything he is an overall below average quarterback. His biggest weakness is his accuracy in the passing game and his biggest strength is his running ability. As time progresses, all running QBs will not be able to run as much and will need to rely more on their arm. Look at Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham, and Donovan McNabb. All three were running QBs when they first got into the league. The reason all three became elite was because they were accurate passers. Thus, they mixed in running with passing as opposed to being running first QBs.

One of the reasons Vince Young has struggled is because of his poor passing game. Defenses basically contain him and force him to throw.

THAT is why Vick is not an elite QB and should never be thought of as.

And, do I want the Texans to get him? No. He would not be an upgrade at QB and we cannot afford to spend a roster spot on a part time player (wildcat QB) that would not help us in any other aspect of the game.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #14
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
No. I believe that backups are supposed to be similar to the starters. That way the offense can continue on with little set back, all the plays and formations are still open. Sage was a great backup, and Orvlovsky looks like he has the tools to be very solid in that aspect.

Vick was never a good quarterback. Do not be fooled by the pro bowls, VY made it as a rookie with more picks than TD's. He never showed he had the ability to be a real quarterback. He will best be suited somewhere that runs a wildcat, as that is the extent of his abilities.
I agree, you don't want a backup that you have to change the playbook for. I am not too worried with our backups now. One went to the SB a couple of years ago, and the other is the same type of QB as our starter. I would have repped you, but this thread is just too dumb to rep people on.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Break out the popcorn.......................ESPN.com has quoted sources as Vick being reinstated on a "short leash" with a 4 week suspension. [see my links in Vick thread in NFL Forum]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #16
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

May as put it in this one - everyone want to get in on the Vick dart board? What NFL team you think will pick him up? You can only choose one team. Choose correctly and win a HWSNBN or Boselli jersey. (no I'm not offering these prizes... seriously?)

I think Raiders.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #17
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

as conservative we are the players we sign for this team - Vick would be the last guy the Texans would consider.

Gonna be intriging though on where he'll eventually end up.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Why do I have to straighten some of you guys out every other day?!

One of the biggest myths in football is that Michael Vick is an elite Quarterback. This myth has been perpetuated by the media and regurgitated by people that blindly listen to what BSPN tells you and does not independently research anything.

So, lets look at some numbers because afterall, I am a numbers guy:

Lets look at the following seasons:
2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006. (We leave out 2001 because he only started 8 games and 2003 because he was injured and only started 5 games).

Over that time span he had the following mean numbers per year:

Passing
303.4 passes attempted, passing accuracy of 54.7%, 2,027 yards passed, 13.6 tds, 9.6 int, 31.4 sacks, and 61.7 QB rating.

Rushing
91.6 rushing attempts, 609 rushing yards, 3.4 rushing tds, 2.6 fumbles, and 1 fumble lost.

So, if we break those numbers down further,(down to a by game mean) we see more evidence.

18.96 passes, 126.69 passing yards, 0.85 tds, 0.6 ints
5.7 rushes, 38.06 yards rushing, 0.21 tds, 0.16 fumbles, 0.06 fumbles lost.

So, we we look at his total offense production we have:
164.75 yards, 1.06 tds, 0.82 losing the ball.

total yds/ game puts up at #28 in the league.
total tds puts him at #15 in the league.
Completion % puts him at #32
sacks puts him at #24

So, if we convert 32 into quartiles(since there are 32 teams with 1 starting QB per team) we have the following:
Quartile 1: 1-7
Quartile 2: 8-15
Quartile 3: 16-23
Quartile 4: 24-32

Vick would be in 3 quartile 4 categories(sacks, total yards, completion %) and in Quartile 2 for total tds.

These numbers certainly do not suggest elite Quarterback to me. If anything he is an overall below average quarterback. His biggest weakness is his accuracy in the passing game and his biggest strength is his running ability. As time progresses, all running QBs will not be able to run as much and will need to rely more on their arm. Look at Steve McNair, Randall Cunningham, and Donovan McNabb. All three were running QBs when they first got into the league. The reason all three became elite was because they were accurate passers. Thus, they mixed in running with passing as opposed to being running first QBs.

One of the reasons Vince Young has struggled is because of his poor passing game. Defenses basically contain him and force him to throw.

THAT is why Vick is not an elite QB and should never be thought of as.

And, do I want the Texans to get him? No. He would not be an upgrade at QB and we cannot afford to spend a roster spot on a part time player (wildcat QB) that would not help us in any other aspect of the game.
You speak truth. I mentioned this above, but was too lazy to go through and dig up stats. Great work, I hope this opens some people's eyes.
Old 07-23-2009   #19
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

vick wasn't even good before he left the league. Everyone acts like he is gonna come back and b great.

he wasn't someone I would want as a backup before he went to jail and I sure as heck wouldn't want him to be our backup after being out of the game for 2 yrs.

Let alone the circus that is gonna come with the signing
Old 07-23-2009   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Let me start the no one wants or gives a shit about Vickwedonotneedthedogfighterjailbirdnoneliteqb thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read