Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pretty good Pitts interview on 610

Enjoyable. Talks about the old Texans vs. the New Texans. Some candor.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/...udioId=3894762
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pretty good Pitts interview on 610

Thanks man. About half way through it now. Good stuff.
Old 07-22-2009   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I found out about this from my cool new Texans toolbar with rss feeds. It's pretty snappy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Cliff Notes anyone?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #5
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Cliff Notes anyone?
I only caught a snippet of the whole thing but I remember him being asked about Carr vs. Schaub. He pretty much said what was said here on TT back then, that he never got the sense that Carr loved the game or put the added effort in like Schaub does, like studying film, etc. He also brought up Schaub calling the whole team when he was traded, said that it's little things like that and intangibles that sets Schaub apart from Carr.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd also appreciate a quick summary or a link to transcripts. I don't believe that website does transcripts.

Specifically... what was he asked and what did he say about THIS season.
Old 07-22-2009   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's pretty long. It might be an hour. I am about 80% through it, and it is not really a data dump sort of interview. More like a conversation.

A very enjoyable, excellent interview.

Thanks for posting this Barrett! Rep for you.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2009   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'd also appreciate a quick summary or a link to transcripts. I don't believe that website does transcripts.

Specifically... what was he asked and what did he say about THIS season.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email

Can anyone explain the tactical difference between an 'over' and 'under' defense?
Quote:
On Brian Cushing: "He's a machine," said Pitts. "He runs like the wind blows, he's strong as an ox, and he's a smart kid. He likes to play up on the line and we're going to run a lot more 'under' than 'over' this year so that will give him a chance to beat up on tight ends a little bit. Teams may have to shift their runs to weak side more since it will be tough to run over there."
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What I got out of it .

Gibbs is a hardass who was impressed by the same 5 OL starting every game . Pitts really likes being good because of the beating they took ... everything was their fault , ESPN commercials ( sacks/draft) and so on . Likes Butler and Caldwell as young OL .

Leave Matt alone , Chester thinks if you want to call Matt out for not being tough , meet him ( Chester ) in the parking lot and see how tough you are . Got to love the attitude .

Young guys have to do it in a game before he declares them players . Didn't sound like he was convinced Babin was all that from day 1 .

He liked Carr but wished he was the team leader a QB needs to be . Matt brings that to the table .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...examiner-email

Can anyone explain the tactical difference between an 'over' and 'under' defense?

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=defense
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Chester Pitts, but let's call him what he is, the First Texan.

Of course, that was a lame attempt of branding, but he is Mr. Texan in our franchise's early history, in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

Totally badass description of the "under" at Battle Red Blog!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/...uction-the-4-3

I'm going to repost this in a new thread because I found it really REALLY informative!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I liked Chester Pitts, but let's call him what he is, the First Texan.

Of course, that was a lame attempt of branding, but he is Mr. Texan in our franchise's early history, in my opinion.
The NFL network has a show about the 49ers team that one their first Super Bowl . One of the featured players was Randy Cross who stated near the end of the show that we went from the laughing stock of the league to SB champs in three years . He went on to say how they just couldn't believe they could get that good that fast . I hope Chester has the same fate , because like you said .... he's been through the thick and thin ... mostly thin .

Round Dan
Old 07-23-2009   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Chester is a charming, intelligent, funny guy who has been arguably
the unspoken, leading stalwart for our franchise during it's breif history. However this interview was just a bit too chatty for me. I'd rather hear them talk more football than have the frivolous chit-chat that went back and forth for 30 to 40 minutes. Too bad the interview wasn't on 1560 with Lance Z.
We'd of really got into the nuts & bolts of the game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I've read that. I was looking for more of a comparison between the two.
Old 07-23-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Totally badass description of the "under" at Battle Red Blog!

http://www.battleredblog.com/2009/7/...uction-the-4-3

I'm going to repost this in a new thread because I found it really REALLY informative!
That is another great read on the under.

This just gets me all giddy:
Quote:
Typically, the 2 best players on your 4-3 under need to be your weak side DE and your SAM linebacker. Conveniently, we have Mario Williams as our uncovered DE and have newly selected Brian Cushing to play SAM. The uncovered DE in the 4-3 under needs to be an absolute beast, being able to take advantage of 1-on-1 matchups in all pass rushing situations while also being the primary contain on outside runs to the weak side. We have a DE who had double digit sacks while being triple teamed - now he is going to see 1-on-1 a lot unless teams are willing to run 2 TE sets all the time. That makes me very happy.

The number one reason why more teams don't run a 4-3 Under is the difficulty in finding a player good enough to play the SAM. He needs to be big, strong, fast, and able to cover or rush the passer at any given time. He lines up on the outside edge of the TE at all times, and harasses him off the line, never allowing a free release, staying underneath on routes because you have your safety over the top. He also gets one-on-one matchups on the outside to pass rush. I'll take Brian Cushing versus Dallas Clark, Bo Scaife, or Marcedes Lewis any day of the weak. He needs to be a great run defender as well, because he CANNOT be reached, or there is a huge running lane to the strong side.

When you have two great rushers on the outside like that, you force the defense to decide to either chip Mario or Cushing with a RB, leaving Mario 1-on-1 with a tackle, or Cushing 1-on-1 with a TE - either way, it's win for the Texans.
Old 07-23-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
I only caught a snippet of the whole thing but I remember him being asked about Carr vs. Schaub. He pretty much said what was said here on TT back then, that he never got the sense that Carr loved the game or put the added effort in like Schaub does, like studying film, etc. He also brought up Schaub calling the whole team when he was traded, said that it's little things like that and intangibles that sets Schaub apart from Carr.
Another thing that sets Schaub apart from Carr is Pitts is a better blocker now than he was first year with David.

Now that will lead to a few posts.
Old 07-23-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Another thing that sets Schaub apart from Carr is Pitts is a better blocker now than he was first year with David.

Now that will lead to a few posts.
yeah, just keep reminding us of how much of a Carrboy you were back in the day....as if we would forget.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, just keep reminding us of how much of a Carrboy you were back in the day....as if we would forget.
The last of a dying breed , unless it's a relative of course .

Round Dan
Old 07-23-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Yeah and you just keep on reminding that the only facts you consider on Carr is what suits your purpose.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read