Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Travis Johnson had hernia surgery

http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=5492

I'm curios how long this will put him out? Unfortunate in his contract year. I expect we could bring in yet another DT to compete in camp.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #2
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Johnson had hernia surgery

My heart jumped when I read the title of the thread
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
My heart jumped when I read the title of the thread
SERIOUSLY!

The Mods need to change the title where it says "Travis Johnson", this thread is going to cause somebody to have a heart attack.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

I'm curios how long this will put him out? Unfortunate in his contract year. I expect we could bring in yet another DT to compete in camp.
This isn't a big deal at all......I wasn't expecting him to start anyways and now this just opens up a spot for guys who are much hungrier and aren't just trying to have a good season for a pay day next offseason.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #5
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
SERIOUSLY!

The Mods need to change the title where it says "Travis Johnson", this thread is going to cause somebody to have a heart attack.
I've not been reading much about whats going on at the Texans recently - and you know when you think bugger I hope thats not Andre.....
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

HMMMMMM.....Honestly, I'm getting kind of tired of this guy. He plays too inconsistently and there's always SOMETHING negative going on with him. Almost like a black cloud following him around. If he hets outplayed by Robinson and Okam, is it really worth it to keep him around with 1st round pay? This new D scheme should fit him a lot better, so I don't want to write him off before TC even starts but IMHO, he's just about played out his string in Houston. A bad (negative impact on the team in the locker room?) attitude coupled with nagging injuries AND mediocre play just shouldn't be acceptable to a Texans team that needs exceptional play from the DL this year to reach their goals.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
A bad (negative impact on the team in the locker room?) attitude
When has Travis been a negative impact in the locker room? I haven't heard anything about that...

Also because of this I really hope DelJuan gets more focus during TC. He's the underdog I'm pulling for to become a starter someday.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2009   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Johnson (Travis) had hernia surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

With the classic sports hernia repair, some professional athletes are placed on a 3 week "fast track" rehab program to try to get them back on the field ASAP. The "safe" and classic rehab recommended for most patients, though, is 6-9 weeks. In the case of a football lineman specifically, where there is constant severe straining to perform their duties, the latter regimen would be the only prudent route to pursue.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
SERIOUSLY!

How true. And an uncomfortable reminder about how a whole season can turn on the health of a key player. TJ is mildly important at best (actually many of us think he should just be cut outright), whereas AJ is basically vital to the Texans hopes to get into the playoffs in 2009.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Travis Johnson had hernia surgery

nobody mentions Shaun Cody? does anyone realize regardless of Travis Johnson status in a strange twist of fate, when both came out in 05 Shaun Cody, USC was rated higher by most scouts (ourlads ranked Cody #2 DT in the draft Travis #7th) then this offseason the Texans aquired him on the cheap, unrestricted free agent in fall out from Detroit (2nd rd. #37). Not saying he's the answer but the Texans still have decent depth behind Deljuan. Maybe Okam can also step up as his conditioning suggests to challenge Robinson & Cody for more playing time.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I know I'm probably one of very few on the board that thinks TJ get's a lot of unwarranted criticism. Is he worth a #1 draft pick? Probably not, but I can't blame the player for being drafted where he was. Is he our best DT? No, but he's not our worst.

I've criticized TJ over his work ethic and how he often stands up while taking on blockers, but I like his demeanor while he's on the field. He might not have won his starting position back this season, but I think he should, and will, be in the rotation. I like his attitude.

IMO, Okoye was drafted even higher than TJ and has yet to play better than TJ with the exception of a few games his rook season.

In the end, I hope TJ rehabs well from his surgery and is able to get on the practice field before the end of camp.
Old 07-22-2009   #12
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 90 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected

get rid of this bum......why does everyone give this guy a pass????

1st round underacheiver = check

Has been handed the starting position and done squat with it = check

never shows up to OTA's or TC with his game face on meaning in shape ready to ball for his life = check

seriously whats the point in keeping this guy???......please explain so I can see the light?

doesnt it seem all to odd with this guy that he decides to get these freak injuries right around TC time????

Last year he got married right before TC and had this pelvic whatever it was.....just in time to miss some time

Now the guy decides to have surgery just days before camp is set to start..........odd timing IMHO. A real team guy who knows he wants to be part of something special and make good with his team would have had this procedure done in January to be fully recovered and ready to go with all his teamates in july

I dont know I could be over reacting as I have been known to do.....but I am just not liking this guys patterns
Old 07-22-2009   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I assume Travis's case is not as severe but this is the same chronic problem that Joppru had during his time with us correct? Man, that brings back some memories. Hopefully Travis had a successful surgery and can shake this off in less than two to three... years.

As far as the lineup goes this should definitely give Deljuan and the others an opportunity and it looks very likely that we will have at least 1 new starter at DT by the opener. That is pretty exiting news to me and who knows, hopefully TJ can come back and still be a solid rotational contributor.
Old 07-22-2009   #14
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Timing on this surgery is a bit peculiar, hopefully it seals his fate
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshabang View Post
get rid of this bum......why does everyone give this guy a pass????

1st round underacheiver = check

Has been handed the starting position and done squat with it = check

never shows up to OTA's or TC with his game face on meaning in shape ready to ball for his life = check

seriously whats the point in keeping this guy???......please explain so I can see the light?

doesnt it seem all to odd with this guy that he decides to get these freak injuries right around TC time????

Last year he got married right before TC and had this pelvic whatever it was.....just in time to miss some time

Now the guy decides to have surgery just days before camp is set to start..........odd timing IMHO. A real team guy who knows he wants to be part of something special and make good with his team would have had this procedure done in January to be fully recovered and ready to go with all his teamates in july

I dont know I could be over reacting as I have been known to do.....but I am just not liking this guys patterns

Elective Hernia surgery just to avoid training camp? I'm guessing you haven't had hernia surgery before.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

The timing of this is VERY suspect (yet again), but if it gives the guys who need more reps in TC to sort out the depth chart, I can definitely live with it.

TJ can be a beast when he wants to - the question has always been how OFTEN does he WANT to?
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #17
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 90 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Elective Hernia surgery just to avoid training camp? I'm guessing you haven't had hernia surgery before.

yea whats so peculiar about that???

the man said out his own mouth this has been a problem for years.....so being that u know u have this problem....why have the surgery 2 weeks before camp......as opposed to 2 months ago???

I am not saying he doesnt need the surgery....my question is the timing of the surgery.

doesnt matter anyway,
PUP list here comes travis.........then in 6 weeks and hes not raring to go with the eye of the tiger then what?? I swear this guy has more lives than a cat.
Old 07-22-2009   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The timing of this is VERY suspect (yet again), but if it gives the guys who need more reps in TC to sort out the depth chart, I can definitely live with it.

TJ can be a beast when he wants to - the question has always been how OFTEN does he WANT to?
Dan, I'm with dalemurphy on this one. Hernia surgery is not the procedure I would have just to avoid training camp.
Old 07-22-2009   #19
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

quote of the year.....sig worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-22-2009   #20
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TJ plays well in games, but my unwarranted impression of him is poor work ethic. It seems like he wants to get out of working hard in the offseason, and he probably doesn't want to do a lot of work to get better. I get the impression that he is a slacker that plays well but could play a lot better if he worked like a Mario for example. I hope he gets better soon because I'm looking forward to seeing how well he plays when he's a little more motivated in a contract year.
J. Sean Wonton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read