Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: should we
heck yes!!! 5 8.47%
no thanks! 54 91.53%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2009   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 5981 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb CRAZY idea....with poll...new coach

shanahan wants back as head coach in 2010 heres link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

would we be willing to take a chance

he won 2 superbowls

reason im asking is his son works with us

he would make a verry good coach i think....he worked with a good qp good wr maby he will take us 2 playoffs

untell then lets wait and see this season

the scheme is allmost the same

if you ask me if we dont get play offs we try him

heck we got half the team over here anyways
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: CRAZY idea....with poll...new coach

I'd rather have Kyle over Mike personally.

But that's just me.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 5981 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

good idea....

i just like the guy same schem so maby playoffs faster never no tho
Old 07-20-2009   #4
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

if you ask me if kubes does not make playoffs this year hes gone

i say we snag if we can
Old 07-20-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

If we don't go 10-6 this season, I hope we do find a new coach. 4 years is long enough to get us that far in my opinion.

But man o man, I hear a lot of jokes coming here shortly. Lol!
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #6
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If we don't go 10-6 this season, I hope we do find a new coach. 4 years is long enough to get us that far in my opinion.

But man o man, I hear a lot of jokes coming here shortly. Lol!

sadly so do i =[
Old 07-20-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have Gary over Kyle or Mike
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2009   #8
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
just curius

y?????????????????

gary been here 4 years with some of the best players but no playoffs?

i say we need a change!!!!!!!!

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!
Old 07-20-2009   #9
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

i hope we do beter with a new coach
Old 07-20-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75189 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
i hope we do beter with a new coach
We have to at least see how the Texans do this season under Kubiak. He might get them into the post season to like a 12-4 record. You never know. He needs at least one more season to see where he can take this team.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!
Well he is the only one of those three whose an employed NFL head coach at the moment for starters. Mike senior was fired because he was supposedly out of touch with today's NFL players. If there's one thing we can say about Kubiak for sure its that his players are behind him and support him fully and would go to bat for him. You can't say that about half the league's head coaches.

I think Kyle is too young for it at this point but he's getting there faster than I thought possible. I look forward to seeing him call the plays this year, although all his calls will be under the Kubiak microscope so Kyle shouldn't get full credit if we improve in the red zone and cut down on turnovers this year. Selfishly, I would like him as the OC for as long as possible and he could be gone as soon as next offseason.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #12
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 875 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Quote:
just curius

y?????????????????

change is comeing!!

mike for presedent!
I voted no thanks. I like the way Kubiak and Smith work together. Besides, the bolded part of your statement is, in my opinion, just not true.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #13
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO I think unless Gary Kubiak visibly losses the team and/or they spiral into a 4-5 win season he'll be here next year better or worse.

He's got the staff he wants and he's got some good pieces in place to make a playoff run this year.

Don't care where Shanahan lands, long as he doesn't replace Del Rio in Jax.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before, I don't think Kubiak gets fired unless the team melts down. And I think this is the best team we've ever fielded.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
might I ask why? why? we are talking about a HC who has won 2 Super Bowls and led teams to the playoffs. Gary has done ZILCH as a head coach.

I like Gary but blind homerism like this makes me question some of our fans' expectations, grasp on reality, and objectivity.

I support my team but to act like Gary is a better and more qualified HC than Shanahan is ridiculous. I hope you are an Aggie because that is about the only scenario I could see someone favoring Kubiak over Daddy Shanny.
Old 07-20-2009   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Besides, the bolded part of your statement is, in my opinion, just not true.
I know, that part cracked me up as well.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
might I ask why? why? we are talking about a HC who has won 2 Super Bowls and led teams to the playoffs. Gary has done ZILCH as a head coach.

I like Gary but blind homerism like this makes me question some of our fans' expectations, grasp on reality, and objectivity.

I support my team but to act like Gary is a better and more qualified HC than Shanahan is ridiculous. I hope you are an Aggie because that is about the only scenario I could see someone favoring Kubiak over Daddy Shanny.
Well, while Shanahan is a proven coach, on the flip side one can argue he didn't do crap after Kubiak left his staff (not to mention Elway), infact that's when his success and playoff appearances fell off and ultimately he ended up getting fired.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2009   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets be honest here. What exactly did Mike Shanahan accomplish after John Elway retired?

Elway retired after the 1998 season and Shanahan was fired after the 2008 season.

Here is is record over that 10 year period:
99: 6-10, miss playoffs
00: 11-5, lose to Baltimore in AFC wildcard
01: 8-8, miss playoffs
02: 9-7, miss playoffs
03: 10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
04:10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
05: 13-3, lose to Steelers in AFC Championship
06: 9-7, miss playoffs
07: 7-9, miss playoffs
08: 8-8, miss playoffs

So, in 10 years he made the playoffs 4 times and went out of the first round 3 times. And you know who left the Broncos after the 2005 season...

You can make the case that for the early part of the decade, there was little real competition in the AFC West. While the Raiders did make 1 superbowl, before and after that they were pretty much door mats. The Chiefs have been basically one dimensional for most of the decade. While San Diego has gotten better, it was only after 2004 that they began to step up. Even so, all Denver had to worry about was SD.

In contrast all Htown has had to contend with is a tough Indianapolis team and either a tough Jax or Tennessee. Htown has never been the second best team in the division: only 3rd or 4th.

While it is great to get to the playoffs, Shanahan gets far too much dap for someone who really benefited from one of the best QBs in history, a stout D, and an amazing Offensive Coordinator. He is one of the most overrated coaches in history.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post

Simply because Mike Shanahan has better credentials is no reason to assume he'd be better for this team today. The guy won two superbowls almost 15 years ago with John Elway as his QB, Kubes as OC, and Alex Gibb as OL coach. If this team fails under Kubiak, I don't think Shanahan is the right voice to repair it. He certainly didn't prove to be able to fix an ailing defense in Denver the past 5 seasons. Basically, he would come in here and preach nearly identical philosophies to a group of guys that would have heard it and experienced it fail for 4 years. I just don't see how that dynamic would be an answer to another mediocre or poor season.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Lets be honest here. What exactly did Mike Shanahan accomplish after John Elway retired?

Elway retired after the 1998 season and Shanahan was fired after the 2008 season.

Here is is record over that 10 year period:
99: 6-10, miss playoffs
00: 11-5, lose to Baltimore in AFC wildcard
01: 8-8, miss playoffs
02: 9-7, miss playoffs
03: 10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
04:10-6, lose to Colts in AFC wildcard
05: 13-3, lose to Steelers in AFC Championship
06: 9-7, miss playoffs
07: 7-9, miss playoffs
08: 8-8, miss playoffs

So, in 10 years he made the playoffs 4 times and went out of the first round 3 times. And you know who left the Broncos after the 2005 season...

You can make the case that for the early part of the decade, there was little real competition in the AFC West. While the Raiders did make 1 superbowl, before and after that they were pretty much door mats. The Chiefs have been basically one dimensional for most of the decade. While San Diego has gotten better, it was only after 2004 that they began to step up. Even so, all Denver had to worry about was SD.

In contrast all Htown has had to contend with is a tough Indianapolis team and either a tough Jax or Tennessee. Htown has never been the second best team in the division: only 3rd or 4th.

While it is great to get to the playoffs, Shanahan gets far too much dap for someone who really benefited from one of the best QBs in history, a stout D, and an amazing Offensive Coordinator. He is one of the most overrated coaches in history.
Rep...

Everybody just sees a name and goes goo goo. Now if we struggle and Cowher becomes available, I'll take that guy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read