Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Out with the old, in with the new

My guess is we will see at least one major unanticipated impact surprise coming to us during the period that teams must cut down........by trade or through waivers. Besides that looming sign and trade scenario of Dunta, who might be involved on either side, and what position will we go for?...........RB, FS, CB??? There will be a "surprise." The question is what will it be?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Out with the old, in with the new

Hopefully some more depth at RB.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
My guess is we will see at least one major unanticipated impact surprise coming to us during the period that teams must cut down........by trade or through waivers. Besides that looming sign and trade scenario of Dunta, who might be involved on either side, and what position will we go for?...........RB, FS, CB??? There will be a "surprise." The question is what will it be?
I just don't see us trading Dunta. If he simply plays out the season and then walks, we almost surely will be receiving a 3rd compensatory pick for him... So, I don't think it makes sense to trade him for much less than a 1st, if we can have him for at least one more season and still get a late 3rd.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #4
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I just don't see us trading Dunta. If he simply plays out the season and then walks, we almost surely will be receiving a 3rd compensatory pick for him... So, I don't think it makes sense to trade him for much less than a 1st, if we can have him for at least one more season and still get a late 3rd.
Considering it will be a contract year we could get his best season ever. I'd rather have that, get a compensatory pick when he signs somwhere else and look to the secondary on day one next April.
Old 07-19-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Section: 636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't they franchise him again?
Old 07-19-2009   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Probably. Sometimes guys make the teams sign an agreement not to franchise them again. But sometimes they can't get that stipulation in the contract.

Was it Walter Jones that just kept getting franchised over and over again?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Probably. Sometimes guys make the teams sign an agreement not to franchise them again. But sometimes they can't get that stipulation in the contract.

I think Asante Samuel was franchised twice before he hit the market. I know Terrell Suggs was franchised twice but they removed the second tag at the signing deadline and signed a long term contract.
Old 07-19-2009   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Yeah - it was Jones, although he didn't mind it, so he never fought it. Peppers, Suggs, and I think Asomugha were three guys who were franchised for the 2nd year in a row this year. I say I think on Asomugha because he signed a long-term (very lucrative) deal, and I can't remember whether it was right before or right after the franchise deadline.

If there's no extension of the CBA (ie: the uncapped year in 2010 scenario), we'll actually be able to place a franchise/transition tag on at least two players, and I think it's actually three. Unless there's an agreement to the contrary in the meantime, there's no reason Dunta couldn't be one of them. This would be in addition to RFA's, which in the example I'm using would include both DeMeco, and Owen Daniels (unless of course they sign long-term deals before then).
Old 07-19-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
each year a player is franchised, the tender increases by 20%. So, next season Dunta would be $ 12 million to franchise. If he was franchised again in 2011, his tender would be $15 million....
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We've got a pretty good squad. Why change anything?
I think we stand pat.
In fact, one could say that picking up Good Rex/Bad Rex was the "unanticipated impact surprise" for this off-season. I know after signing Orlovsky I didn't see that one coming.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 07-19-2009 at 10:40 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We've got a pretty good squad. Why change anything?
I think we stand pat.
In fact, one could say that picking up Good Rex/Bad Rex was the "unanticipated impact surprise" for this off-season. I know after signing Orlovsky I didn't see that one coming.
Its never a bad thing to continue to add good pieces if they become available. I can see us grabbing a big RB or a solid DB, if one were cut (such as a Denver RB).

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

You know how Kubes just loves to bring in players from Denver there maybe another RB in the Texans sights. Who knows?
Old 07-20-2009   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
You know how Kubes just loves to bring in players from Denver there maybe another RB in the Texans sights. Who knows?
Kubes (geez I hate that, sounds like pubes, anyway) loves to bring in people he is familiar with. As time goes on Denver will be just any other team because Kubiak will not know the folks and they have changed their system away from what we do.
Old 07-20-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Kubes (geez I hate that, sounds like pubes, anyway) loves to bring in people he is familiar with. As time goes on Denver will be just any other team because Kubiak will not know the folks and they have changed their system away from what we do.
I think this is slowly srarting to happen already Chris. Mike is not there anymore and they are already changing the way they run things and probably will continue to do so.
Old 07-20-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is slowly srarting to happen already Chris. Mike is not there anymore and they are already changing the way they run things and probably will continue to do so.
They're probably going to let go of a lot of guys from the old system. We may be able to use some of those guys. So, the connection to Denver might get a lot of work this training camp as guys are cut.

But after this year, not so much.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This may actually end up with us having even more ex-Bronco's as the new coaching staff brings in players they want and cut players from the old regime. I don't particularly mind, but I would like to see us steer clear of big contracts for aging vets that have bit us in the salary cap in years past.
Old 07-21-2009   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would only trade Duntal for another player. Otherwise keep him and get the 3rd round compensatory pick.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I would only trade Duntal for another player. Otherwise keep him and get the 3rd round compensatory pick.
I highly doubt they'd give us a comp 3rd for Dunta, unless he has a PB year this season.
Old 07-21-2009   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see RB, DB and a swing tackle, in no particular order. The Texans are quickly becoming an attractive landing spot for up and comers, not just aging vets looking for a final payday. As far as DROB goes, it saddens me that such a favorite of mine is at the heart of our first big contract dispute. IMO, he's being selfish and naive. There's no gain in fighting this in the media and making himself look bad. $9.95 mil. is a TON of money. Sign the damned tender, play your ass off in '09 and PROVE you're 100% over the devastating leg injury. If he played for a team with a powerhouse D, he probably WOULD qualify for a stupidly huge contract, but being the best DB on the Texans just doesn't carry as much weight, add the injury to that and I bet he doesn't get THAT much a year. Being the best Texans DB is a lot like winning 5 gold medals at the Special Olympics. It's better NOT to qualify for them than it is to win them. Hopefully that changes this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read