Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-16-2009   #1
Bull
Hardhitter

Section: 350
Default Stop! Dogging DUANE BROWN

Some people in the national media want to beat on D.Brown

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ouston-texans/

Lets start with some facts:
Brown came in as the starting left tackle and had to play the hardest pass rusher schedule in NFL History! NOT AN EXCUSE! JUST FACT!
Brown played the 2007 season at Virginia Tech then attended the NFL Combine straight in to the hardest pass rusher schedule in History.I don't know many 300 pound men that can play two years straight without a let down.Oh?Did I say the Texans had the 3rd best offense in the NFL,or 4th in passing,13th in rushing. Yes,he had some sacks and penalities!
But give the man a break! Lets see what happens in 2009

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4472

What you think?
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Stop! Dogging DUANE BROWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post

Brown came in as the starting left tackle and had to play the hardest pass rusher schedule in NFL History! NOT AN EXCUSE! JUST FACT!
Brown played the 2007 season at Virginia Tech then attended the NFL Combine straight in to the hardest pass rusher schedule in History.I don't know many 300 pound men that can play two years straight without a let down.Oh?Did I say the Texans had the 3rd best offense in the NFL,or 4th in passing,13th in rushing. Yes,he had some sacks and penalities!

What you think?
Agreed. I am looking forward to seeing what he does this season.
Old 07-16-2009   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What you think?
I really enjoyed that article. It's already been posted by Texans_Chick. I also enjoyed the comments section. I learned a lot about Duane Brown. That article actually made me feel better about our selection of Duane Brown. I'm feeling pretty good about him.
Old 07-16-2009   #4
Bull
Hardhitter

Section: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I really enjoyed that article. It's already been posted by Texans_Chick. I also enjoyed the comments section. I learned a lot about Duane Brown. That article actually made me feel better about our selection of Duane Brown. I'm feeling pretty good about him.
Your are right!Texans Chick gets all the credit! Its a reference. But the critizing continues.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your are right!Texans Chick gets all the credit! Its a reference. But the critizing continues.
I didn't really see much criticizing in there. I thought both Augustus and TT both came to the discussion armed with information. I enjoyed reading Augustus despite him being a naysayer.

Again, I feel better about Duane Brown not directly as a result of what the article or either comment poster but because I took in what they all had to say and coupled it in with what I personally have seen of Duan Brown. I made my own assertation. I'm not even considering the possibility of a sophomore slump.

Duane Brown or bust!
Old 07-16-2009   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not dogging him,

I will leave it as this

... to be the best, you have to block the best
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86827 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What you think?
A little curious? Where did you get this assertion that he faced the toughest pass rush in a season in the history of the NFL?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2009   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
A little curious? Where did you get this assertion that he faced the toughest pass rush in a season in the history of the NFL?
Maybe if you read the article...
Old 07-16-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed. He has all the tools to become a great left tackle. His best game was the 2nd Tennessee game, he held his own all game and didn't give up a sack. I remember Ephraim was in for a few downs against Vanden Bosch and was getting dominated in the phone booth, Brown came in and stone walled him and we got a huge 3rd down conversion. I know Eric Winston gets all the media accolades but by the end of the season he was a better pass block than EW, and possibly and equivalent run blocker. In a few years we'll be saying this guy is one of our keys to having success.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Agreed. He has all the tools to become a great left tackle. His best game was the 2nd Tennessee game, he held his own all game and didn't give up a sack. I remember Ephraim was in for a few downs against Vanden Bosch and was getting dominated in the phone booth, Brown came in and stone walled him and we got a huge 3rd down conversion. I know Eric Winston gets all the media accolades but by the end of the season he was a better pass block than EW, and possibly and equivalent run blocker. In a few years we'll be saying this guy is one of our keys to having success.
I'm with you. I was just thinking that he may even be able to overshadow Mario Williams as the Texans best 1st round pick. Duane's going to be around for a long time. Bruce Matthews anyone?
Old 07-16-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86827 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe if you read the article...
I did, and I fail to see how this article proved that at all. They would have had to researched every single rookie OT that ever played and researched every type of defensive scheme and players that each rookie OT faced in a 14 or 16 game season. I highly highly doubt the author of this article did that. That would have taken an extremely long time to do. The only examples they made were comparing Brown's schedule to Clady and Long. Maybe he faced the toughest schedule as a rookie OT last season, but I'm not buying that he faced the toughest competition in NFL history.

I think Brown had a pretty good season considering who he faced though, and I think he'll continue to improve. I look forward to seeing his progression this season.
Old 07-16-2009   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
I did, and I fail to see how this article proved that at all. They would have had to researched every single rookie OT that ever played and researched every type of defensive scheme and players that each rookie OT faced in a 14 or 16 game season. I highly highly doubt the author of this article did that. That would have taken an extremely long time to do. The only examples they made were comparing Brown's schedule to Clady and Long. Maybe he faced the toughest schedule as a rookie OT last season, but I'm not buying that he faced the toughest competition in NFL history.

I think Brown had a pretty good season considering who he faced though, and I think he'll continue to improve. I look forward to seeing his progression this season.
That's not what you asked him though. You didn't ask him to prove anything. You asked where he got the opinion that Duane faced the toughest pass rush.

Assertation=opinion.

I definitely agree with your post otherwise though. I do think it's safe to say that it's extremely rare that ANY man has faced off the level of talent that Duane Brown has faced over the last two years. It's uncanny.
Old 07-16-2009   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's not what you asked him though. You didn't ask him to prove anything. You asked where he got the opinion that Duane faced the toughest pass rush.

Assertation=opinion.

I definitely agree with your post otherwise though. I do think it's safe to say that it's extremely rare that ANY man has faced off the level of talent that Duane Brown has faced over the last two years. It's uncanny.

toughest pass rush against the texans was (2002-2006) with DC at QB I don't think the little dutch boy could hold off that long while DC made a decision
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Assertation=opinion.

NO doubt he faced a really rough schedule. I just think the initial thing about the worst in history was over the top and untrue.

Brown seemed to make pretty nice strides though. He held his own at times. Facing Pittsburgh was a nightmare for any team last season, especially in the first game of the season. The Ravens are a nightmare on the D line every season. I think he'll improve this season.
Old 07-16-2009   #15
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on the rookie play I saw from Brown last year, I've had my questions answered. Brown will be a very good LT for the Texans' for a long time. His only flaw was technique due to his short stint at LT, but everything else was there athletically. Add Alex Gibbs as a coach, and I think this kid will be playing pro-bowl level ball for 10 years.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #16
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 329 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think "dogging" has the same meaning over there as it does in Britain (see here), but the title of this thread had me extremely worried for a minute.
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
Don't think "dogging" has the same meaning over there as it does in Britain (see here), but the title of this thread had me extremely worried for a minute.
Yeah, I can see how that might have a different connotation from a Brit slant. Were you looking/expecting pictures?? LOL

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #18
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
HAH!!!!!
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NO doubt he faced a really rough schedule. I just think the initial thing about the worst in history was over the top and untrue.

Brown seemed to make pretty nice strides though. He held his own at times. Facing Pittsburgh was a nightmare for any team last season, especially in the first game of the season. The Ravens are a nightmare on the D line every season. I think he'll improve this season.
It's one thing to call it unproven, and another to call it untrue. So you have examples of it being untrue? - if not, your assertion is unproven. See how that works.

Duane Brown faced a murderers row of DE's/OLB's for the first half of his rookie season. Don't know exactly how you would quantify that but there is no doubt it was tough.

I haven't looked to confirm it, but I have never seen a team play 4 division games in a row like we are going to do weeks 9-13 this season. I'm not going to spend the time to figure out if that is the first time in NFL history, but I know darn sure it is an unusual rough divisional patch. There is another unproven assertion.

Last edited by infantrycak; 07-17-2009 at 11:54 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #20
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What you think?
I don't think we have a choice regardless of what we think. Nevertheless, I think he will be better this year, and I look forward to a big step...forward, yeah...
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read