Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should be the 2nd string quarterback?
Dan Orlovsky 59 65.56%
Rex Grossman 31 34.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2009   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Orlovsky or Grossman?

As I was surfing houtsontexans.com, I noticed a poll asking who you would want to be the 2nd string quarterback. I voted for Orlovsky, and was shocked to see that I was very much in the minority!

So I decided to ask the die-hards here on Texans Talk, Orlovsky or Grossman?
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #2
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Orlovsky or Grossman?

grossman

had a super bowl but lost evan tho he cant catch but hey hes not a wr

i rather have experince then some 1 that runs out of the endzone no mater how good of an arm he has

================================================== =====
vote grossman 4 number 2 spot!

Last edited by HouSportsWriter; 07-15-2009 at 10:19 PM.
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Orlovsky or Grossman?

Dan should get the Nod hes young maybe he can be a breakout star
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #4
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see what DanO can do now that he's out of QB hell...aka...Detroit. I've seen Grossman's act.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

dan is infamous for that running to the back of the end zone thing, but he was pretty productive when he played despite being on the worst team the nfl has had in decades.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Dan O

I believe he has untapped potential and Kubes is the coach to help him reach it.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #7
Statis22
Top Billin

As of now I go with Dan because he was signed earlier and may have a firmer grasp of the playbook but if Grossman is around he should get as equal as a look.
Statis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2009   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Grossman for two reasons. First I thought it was kind of sad that only 3 people had voted for him at the time I saw the poll and I want him to feel like we're behind him 100%. The second reason was that I really don't think it will make much difference in the long run.
Old 07-16-2009   #9
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
dan is infamous for that running to the back of the end zone thing, but he was pretty productive when he played despite being on the worst team the nfl has had in decades.
Especially with all those Ws he has as a QB!
I know that the detroit team was terrible but he was part of the problem

His Stats:
55% Comp rate
8 Tds 8 Ints
1679 Passing yards
29 rushing yards
71 QB rating
In 5 years!
And one epic fail of a safety.
0 Career wins

I want to like the guy because he is a Texan and there is a chance he could be our QB at some point(lets hope not) but I do not see good things happening with him on the field.

I know Rex's stats are not much better but at least he has experience and has won an NFL game and has played through the playoffs to the superbowl.

As you can imagine, Rex got my vote.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
In 5 years!
0 Career wins
He has only been in the league for 4 years.
He has only started 7 games and on a team anyone would describe as dysfunctional.

I think Kubiak sees something between his ears and on QB's, I'll trust Kubiak. Sage was a scrapheap backup who couldn't beat out scrapheap starters until Kubiak got hold of him.
Old 07-16-2009   #11
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He has only been in the league for 4 years.
He has only started 7 games and on a team anyone would describe as dysfunctional.

I think Kubiak sees something between his ears and on QB's, I'll trust Kubiak. Sage was a scrapheap backup who couldn't beat out scrapheap starters until Kubiak got hold of him.
Ya my bad this will be his 5th year..

Ya the amount of games he has played in also says something...especially sinc he was with the horrible lions his whole career think he would have got to play in more games.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Ya my bad this will be his 5th year..

Ya the amount of games he has played in also says something...especially sinc he was with the horrible lions his whole career think he would have got to play in more games.
The Lions O-line had been terrible.
The last 3 years they allowed a bunch of sacks:
63, 53, and 52.

Dan O. was playing behind Jon Kitna, who was decent, but not exactly mobile. He got the start when Kitna hurt his back, and the Lions played better. They were especially competitive in the 5 games before his thumb injury.

But then he injured his thumb, and the Lions had to talk Culpepper out of retirement.

Dan was the most mobile of the trio.
He took 14 sacks in 8 games (6 of them against the Vikings.)
Kitna, Culpepper, and Stanton had a combined 38 in 8 games.

Against the Vikings, DT Kevin Williams sacked Dan Orlovsky for the fourth time as he tried one last desperate throw to the end zone with four seconds remaining in the game and his team down by two.
He never had a chance as the RT was beaten so badly.
Earlier, CJ fumbled the ball at the Vikes' 30 after a long completion.

Against us, he burned Faggins for that 96 yd TD pass.
He had 265 yards passing total.
They lost 21-28. Our offense controlled the ball for over 40 mins.

Against the Skins, the Lions had no running game outside of Dan O, they went 13-30 yds.
Earlier, the Skins' Randy Moss had returned a punt for an 80-yd TD.
Lions trailed by 8 points.
The Lions had the ball at their 22 with less than 2 mins to go and no TO left (they had burned them on what the announcer said "silly defense".)
Dan O. was 16 for 27 at this point, with 2 dropped pass.
They started the drive with another one, a would-have-been 12-yd completion.
Two plays and a first down later, Dan O. completed a pass to Smith, who was stupid enough to turn back inside trying to get a couple extra yards instead of getting out of bound.
On 2nd down, with less than a min remaining, he had to "basically" throw the ball out of bound. That play had a chance of success for a first down on the sideline with more time.
On 3rd down, the receiver ran an inside slant.
He got past the first down marker and would have had a first down if he had continued his route; instead, he turned upfield inexplicably.
Almost an INT as the DB was right close to him.
On 4th down, the linebacker London Fletcher tackled Calvin Johnson a yard short of the first-down marker with 48 seconds remaining. CJ was impeded by the umpire; he couldn't run his route a little deeper. And with not much time left, he was looking to head for the sideline; otherwise, he would have looked to absorb the contact and turned upfield, working for the first down instead of trying to accomplish two tasks simultaneously.

Against the Bears, trailing by 4, Dan O's pass was knocked down by the safety in the end zone as time expired. The receiver was there.
The Lions had marched 69 yds (from their 13) in less than a min before that incompletion.
Again, the Lions had no running game, 24 carries for a meager 51 yds.
The receiver (Gaines) had fumbled the ball in the previous series after a first down catch at the Lions 48.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Grossman is a known quantity. I'll take Orlovsky.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Dan-O due mainly to potential. He seems smart and willing to learn more about the position. IMO, he's a fresh block of clay for Kubiak to mold.

I think Grossman is worse than Sage when it comes to the number of good plays vs the number of bad plays.
Old 07-16-2009   #15
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Whomever Kubiak thinks is better, as he would know better than we would.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #16
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

where is the "if matt gets injured lets just forfeit so we don't have to watch rex grossman or dan orlovsky qb" option in the poll.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
where is the "if matt gets injured lets just forfeit so we don't have to watch rex grossman or dan orlovsky qb" option in the poll.
It's a button on your TV remote called "power". Push it
Old 07-16-2009   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I voted Dan-O due mainly to potential. He seems smart and willing to learn more about the position. IMO, he's a fresh block of clay for Kubiak to mold.

I think Grossman is worse than Sage when it comes to the number of good plays vs the number of bad plays.
Well, other than that running out of the back of the end zone thingy... But I voted Orlovsky too.
Old 07-16-2009   #19
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

I voted for Dan-O also just because I have seen Grossman and I couldn't stand the way he just threw the ball up in the air without seemingly having a clue as to where it was going to land.
Of course, it would be nice to see some of those deep jump balls heading towards AJ. Hmmm, maybe I should change my vote
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #20
stevn8r
Zombie

Section: 117 Row F 18-19
Rep Power: 197 stevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respectedstevn8r is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to stevn8r

Too early to tell! Aug 15 we will see what we have got! DanO has some skills. They moved the ball on us quite well. I remember being scared in that game. that we were going to be their only win!
I think that Rex has been humbled enough to "calm down" and stop making such weird decisions. He also has the experience.

So I will vote like Obama.... "PRESENT"!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read