Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2009   #1
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer
Default Signings - When do we start to worry?

I have been holding off asking the question, but camp is right around the corner and I haven't seen any updates regarding contract negotiations with OD, Ryans, Dunta or the majority of the rookies.

My hope was that we would get OD and Ryans contracts tied up, as well as all rookies, before the start of camp. If this is the goal - it seems like we have a lot to get done in a short amount of time.

When do we start to worry?
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Signings - When do we start to worry?

Last season 4 of the rookies weren't signed until the week of camp.

They have the entire season to work out a deal with OD and D-Ryans if they choose to do so.

Quote:
7/25/2008 Signed first-round draft pick LT Duane Brown.
7/22/2008 Signed third-round draft picks CB Antwaun Molden and RB Steve Slaton and fifth-round draft pick DT Frank Okam. Released FB Jon Abbate, DT Eric Powell, G/T Charles Spencer and G Dan Stevenson.
7/16/2008 Signed fourth-round draft pick LB Xavier Adibi.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/2008Transactions.asp

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 07-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say - for OD and 59, no need to worry until after the first regular season game. Those often go right down to the wire - as Eric Winston's deal did. I think he signed the night before the season opener or the day of.

For the rookies, I see no reason to worry at all at this point. Cushing's deal will probably go right down to the first day of camp, just like Duane Brown and Amobi Okoye. The other rookies will probably sign any time now, with Barwin coming in the final week before camp starts.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I have been holding off asking the question, but camp is right around the corner and I haven't seen any updates regarding contract negotiations with OD, Ryans, Dunta or the majority of the rookies.

My hope was that we would get OD and Ryans contracts tied up, as well as all rookies, before the start of camp. If this is the goal - it seems like we have a lot to get done in a short amount of time.

I prefer we do not see any movement on DR other than him coming in and showing that he is closer to 100%. I am glad he did not sign the new contract offer as this gives team more flexibility and as a popular fan favorite he will get paid very, very well this season.
Old 07-15-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I prefer we do not see any movement on DR other than him coming in and showing that he is closer to 100%. I am glad he did not sign the new contract offer as this gives team more flexibility and as a popular fan favorite he will get paid very, very well this season.
I believe he has until midnight tonight.

I have a feeling that is completely baseless that something's going to get done.
Old 07-15-2009   #6
SuperRY
www.HDMIGuy.com

Rep Power: 0 SuperRY was voted MVPSuperRY was voted MVPSuperRY was voted MVPSuperRY was voted MVPSuperRY was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I believe he has until midnight tonight.

I have a feeling that is completely baseless that something's going to get done.
Negative - They had until 4:00pm EST to get a deal done. Didn't happen.
SuperRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRY View Post
Negative - They had until 4:00pm EST to get a deal done. Didn't happen.
I just saw that in the Dunta thread. Also saw Kaiser Toro's post indicating that we may have until July 22nd? Let's see what comes from that possible scenario.
Old 07-15-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

I started worrying about 2 months ago. On top of your list, here are some more FAs after 2009:

Kevin Walter
Chester Pitts
Rashod Butler
Tim Bulman
Travis Johnson
Mike Briesel
Matt Turk
Nick Ferguson
Deljuan Robinson
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been worried since October. LOL

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I started worrying about 2 months ago. On top of your list, here are some more FAs after 2009:

Kevin Walter
Chester Pitts
Rashod Butler
Tim Bulman
Travis Johnson
Mike Briesel
Matt Turk
Nick Ferguson
Deljuan Robinson
Two top people on the list are the only ones that NEED to be resigned. I'd like to see Pitts retire as a Texan. Walter should be an interesting contract.

I think Bulter is right behind as an important swing tackle.

TJ could be fighting for a roster spot in TC. I like Bluman's and Robinson's motors. I think they can be fairly easy to resign.

Turk eh. He's been solid but far from spectacular as a punter. Nick Ferguson same story different position.

Brisiel...mixed feelings I think he's solid but IMO Caldwell after this season will be pushing for his or Myer's spot.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I just saw that in the Dunta thread. Also saw Kaiser Toro's post indicating that we may have until July 22nd? Let's see what comes from that possible scenario.
It was apparently today at 4:00 pm, but I still cannot find that on the NFL Calendar. I made an assumption based on the data that was afforded by the source. I was wrong. However, the other article discussing a potential loophole in this date was interesting.
Old 07-15-2009   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It was apparently today at 4:00 pm, but I still cannot find that on the NFL Calendar. I made an assumption based on the data that was afforded by the source. I was wrong. However, the other article discussing a potential loophole in this date was interesting.
I absolutely understood your post to mean exactly what you described here. Like I said, let's see what becomes of that possibility. Both of these guys (Dunta's agent and Rick Smith) know what they're doing. They don't miss much. Especially Smith.
Old 07-16-2009   #13
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

From Florio at PFT on the July 15th deadline:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-15-deadline/

Don't know if it helps or confuses but, the deadline to sign a long term contract with a F-tag player has expired as of 4:00PM (EST) yesterday until the end of the season.
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, now that the Dunta deadline has come and gone, I hope the Texan front office can turn its attention to the rookies and get them under contract before TC. We don't need anymore distractions!

I usually like to go to this link http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10264 to find out how the signings are going throughout the NFL. What bothers me, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, is when I see someone like Casey not signed and multiple players before and after him are signed.

148 San Diego Brandon Hughes - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
149 Ravens Davon Drew - TE 3 year $1.185 million contract, $139,250 signing bonus
150 Minnesota Jasper Brinkley - LB Undisclosed contract
151 NY Giants Rhett Bomar - QB 4 year $1.75 million contract, $185,183 signing bonus
152 Houston James Casey - TE
153 Philadelphia Cornelius Ingram - TE 4 year $1.75 million contract, $183,000 signing bonus
154 Chicago Marcus Freeman - LB 4 year undisclosed contract
155 Tampa Bay Xavier Fulton - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $181,000 signing bonus
156 Atlanta Garrett Reynolds - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $180,000 signing bonus
157 Philadelphia Victor Harris - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
158 Washington Cody Glenn - RB Undisclosed multi-year contract
159 Philadelphia Fenuki Tupou - OT 4 year undisclosed contract

His contract should be "cut and dry" based on what the player before and after him are making. So why hasn't he signed? Is it some little detail in the contract? Is his agent getting greedy and trying to get a bigger signing bonus than the players picked above him? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but the sooner we get these rookies signed the better I will feel. Just a little over 2 weeks left before TC.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Well, now that the Dunta deadline has come and gone, I hope the Texan front office can turn its attention to the rookies and get them under contract before TC. We don't need anymore distractions!

I usually like to go to this link http://walterfootball.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10264 to find out how the signings are going throughout the NFL. What bothers me, and maybe I'm reading too much into it, is when I see someone like Casey not signed and multiple players before and after him are signed.

148 San Diego Brandon Hughes - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
149 Ravens Davon Drew - TE 3 year $1.185 million contract, $139,250 signing bonus
150 Minnesota Jasper Brinkley - LB Undisclosed contract
151 NY Giants Rhett Bomar - QB 4 year $1.75 million contract, $185,183 signing bonus
152 Houston James Casey - TE
153 Philadelphia Cornelius Ingram - TE 4 year $1.75 million contract, $183,000 signing bonus
154 Chicago Marcus Freeman - LB 4 year undisclosed contract
155 Tampa Bay Xavier Fulton - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $181,000 signing bonus
156 Atlanta Garrett Reynolds - OT 4 year $1.75 million contract, $180,000 signing bonus
157 Philadelphia Victor Harris - CB 4 year undisclosed contract
158 Washington Cody Glenn - RB Undisclosed multi-year contract
159 Philadelphia Fenuki Tupou - OT 4 year undisclosed contract

His contract should be "cut and dry" based on what the player before and after him are making. So why hasn't he signed? Is it some little detail in the contract? Is his agent getting greedy and trying to get a bigger signing bonus than the players picked above him? Maybe I'm just overreacting, but the sooner we get these rookies signed the better I will feel. Just a little over 2 weeks left before TC.
Looks like Ingram kinda got boned on his signing bonus. Unless QB's still rate higher than other positions in the 5th round too?
Old 07-16-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dunta holds out of camp and has a sub-par year he is only hurting the value of his next contract so I'm really not all that worried about him. He's gonna want to have a pro bowl season so that he can land a massive contract. I'm not worried about anyone else and I'm set to defrost in a few weeks.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
If Dunta holds out of camp and has a sub-par year he is only hurting the value of his next contract so I'm really not all that worried about him. He's gonna want to have a pro bowl season so that he can land a massive contract. I'm not worried about anyone else and I'm set to defrost in a few weeks.
I imagine defrosting shan't be a problem at the first camp practice.

As I posted in the Dunta thread, I agree with you. IMO, Dunta really has no choice but to go to camp and play this season better than ever and the Texans are going to reap the benefits.
Old 07-16-2009   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried anytime soon. I expect they'll start rolling in the week before TC. Weird to see Casey unsigned with others around him signed but it's not like Smith has been sitting on his hands this offseason.

Kevin Walter-must resign as long as the money isn't crazy. K dub doesn't seem to be the self-first type so I doubt he comes out asking for big bucks.
Chester Pitts-must resign for almost any price. Original Texan.
Rashod Butler-I'd like to see him resigned. He's been good enough to stick around anyway
Tim Bulman-I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a little money elsewhere but I'd like to see him in Texans gear for a while
Travis Johnson-cut
Mike Briesel-hmmmm....playing for a job this year?
Matt Turk-Honestly, I can't believe he's not already retired
Nick Ferguson-He's done his part as a stop-gap player. Hopefully his service won't be needed
Deljuan Robinson-I'd resign him
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Not worried anytime soon. I expect they'll start rolling in the week before TC. Weird to see Casey unsigned with others around him signed but it's not like Smith has been sitting on his hands this offseason.
I'm sure his agent keeps reminding the team that they claim to have rated him as a 2nd round talent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm sure his agent keeps reminding the team that they claim to have rated him as a 2nd round talent.
And we will keep reminding them that he wasn't selected in the 2nd round. We took a gamble that he would be there in the 5th because we didn't want to pay 2nd round money if we could get him in the 5th and we were correct.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read