Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2005   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin takes on the TE I thought.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #22
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I guess I am just upset that we didnt need to draft this guy because in my opinion peek is better and we allready had this guy.we didnt need to pay a rookie DE millions of dollars when we already had peek.People are saying we need a TE and the titans w/our pick we gave them graped Ben Troupe from florida, I just didnt like the move we made.
As much as I like Peek, he only has 3 career sacks. Babin has 4.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #23
fresno8
Veteran

The same can be said for Babin and Carr. If they had good lines in front of them they would be really good. Babin did fine for a rookie and if our D-line improves then he will have a better path to the QB and will post double digits in sacks. I give DC, AJ, D-Rob A's and Babin a solid B and I give him a B only because we gave up so much for him I thought he could have done just a little more for what we gave up. We've done very well in round 1 of the draft. Babin is going to be worth those picks someday I think. Can't wait to see what we do this year.
Old 02-02-2005   #24
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering how Babin had to learn a whole new position and had to get accustomed to playing upright. I think he did a solid job. Don't kid yourself either, its not easy making that ajustment. I heard Parcells commenting on it in a radio interview (since they're thinking about switching to the 3-4) and he said when drafting tweeners in the 3-4 some can make the adjustment and some can't (more don't than do) and it takes some time to acclimate. He was great at stopping the run. Pressure on the Qb will come, he has the speed, he just needs to work on his technique and moves. Just relax everybody he was just a rookie. If Dunta didn't have the year he had, this would be a non issue. Dunta made every rookie look bad

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005   #25
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
Pressure on the Qb will come, he has the speed, he just needs to work on his technique and moves.
If I am Babin and Peek, I am looking at tape of Dwight Freeney, all day and everyday during the offseason. That spin move is sick...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #26
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well this thread was about walker and his underacheiving and whether or not it had anything to do with his age or injuries piling on...ya'll turned it to a babin bash...way to go...ya'll wanna talk about babin fine...here's the question on everyone's mind...WAS HE WORTH ALL THE PICKS WE TRADED TO OUR ARCHRIVAL IN OUR DIVISION??????

the answer to me is no...not because of babin's ability or stats...but because we let our rival get stronger for years to come...did anyone see randy starks and the year he had...antwon odom will eventually make a steller defensive end and ben troupe will be a solid pass catching TE for years to come...was babin worth giving our rival all of that no...sorry but no one in this league is...not to this fan
Old 02-03-2005   #27
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Expansion QB's get pounded. Find me one who hasn't been. It's not pretty but it comes with the job. Babin did well in his rookie year. To say otherwise is not being fair. I'm not sure what you guy are comparing him to, but I compare him to other LOLB's in 3-4 defenses.

Steelers Clark Haggans had 37 tackles and 6 sacks
Patriots Mike Vrabel 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks
Chargers Ben Leber 60 total tackles and 2 sacks
Texans Jason Babin 63 total tackles and 4 sacks
Oooh ooooh, I have a question.....

How do you get .5 of a sack?
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2005   #28
red bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Oooh ooooh, I have a question.....

How do you get .5 of a sack?
Two guys get to the quarterback at the same time. They share the sack.
red bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #29
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
As much as I like Peek, he only has 3 career sacks. Babin has 4.

Only 3 sacks? They guy hardly gets chances to play. This season he at least got some more time, and he had numerous QB pressures and knock downs. he will get his sacks when he gets his chance to play. Babin had 4 sacks but his total playing time this year has been more than peeks entire career by a pretty significant difference. Peek has started maybe 4 or 5 games total, Babin started 16. Theres the difference in sacks.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #30
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I am just upset that we didnt need to draft this guy because in my opinion peek is better and we allready had this guy.we didnt need to pay a rookie DE millions of dollars when we already had peek.People are saying we need a TE and the titans w/our pick we gave them graped Ben Troupe from florida, I just didnt like the move we made.
Peek might have more athletic ability, but my understanding is he is often out of position. Very out of position. I think this was more his rookie year, though. I'm sure they felt that it was an important upgrade. I'd personally like to see both. I think Peek would be better at ROLB and move Wong inside.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #31
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
Hulk, for what it's worth I agree with you. Babin had 4 sacks, but to me they were in trash time when someone else had put pressure on the QB. I didn't like what we gave up to get Babin, and I still don't. He didn't seem to be aggressive enough doing that spin move. He would just make contact with the defender and do a half hearted move and then just sit there. I know that he had outside containment, but on those 3rd down plays, he just should have been more aggressive. Just my opinion, of course. Others see it differently and that's what makes the world go round.
If his job on 3rd down was containment and not full blown rush than that is what he was supposed to do. Players who do the jobs they are supposed to do get the starts. I have been re-watching the Texans games (god bless Tivo) Babin got a sack at the beginning of the Vikings game when it was still 0-0. The Jacksonville game he got a sack when the game was still in the balance. I've never understood why so many people hate this guy. It can't just be the draft picks. With the extra one the Texans had they really only lost 1 pick. They gave up 3 for 1, but moved up 12 spots or something. It's the type of deal you make when there is a player you like. Casserly, Capers, et al., are much better than all of us at this game. The Texans liked Babin and knew he wouldn't be there when they picked at #10 in the 2nd round. He might have been picked 10 spots before he should have, but sometimes you have to make a sacrifice. It's not like he was a 5th round projection and they traded up to the 1st round to get him.

As for drafting a TE at that time. Joppru was coming along nicely at that time and hadn't been experiencing any pain. It wasn't until the beginning of training camp that he was injured again. After using a 2nd round pick on him it would have been a waste to draft Troupe in that spot.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #32
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

Quote:
[/b]
out of position, how many other olb picked of Payton Manning this last seaon. Wong would be a big upgrade comparred to Foreman.

Its good that you notice that too, but he did say the out of position part was mostly from his rookie year. I think its safe to say that most people agree finally that peek improved greatly this season and should start next season. at least i hope they do.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #33
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

now fiddy that was not really a fair assesment, considering the big margin of playing time that babin has over peek. Babin played more this season than peek has in 3 seasons. Now if they were both full time starters ya could say that, but they're not !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
now fiddy that was not really a fair assesment, considering the big margin of playing time that babin has over peek. Babin played more this season than peek has in 3 seasons. Now if they were both full time starters ya could say that, but they're not !
Peek didn't play well enough in practice to get PT. That has something to do with the equation also. If you can't impress the coaching staff enough to get on the field then you don't give YOURSELF a shot. That is on Peek.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #35
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Peek didn't play well enough in practice to get PT. That has something to do with the equation also. If you can't impress the coaching staff enough to get on the field then you don't give YOURSELF a shot. That is on Peek.

yeah i guess your right i guess that could be why brady was a back up until the starter went down, must of sucked in practice, but i dont see anyone complaining now !
Old 02-03-2005   #36
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Brady was more than a backup. I think he was a 3rd stringer at one point, but the #2 QB on the depthchart behind Bledsoe suffered a severe injury in Training Camp or the preseason and that shifted Brady to #2. I'm not sure how Brady taking the place of an injured Bledsoe has anything to do with Peek earning playing time. Did Brady earn his playing time by paying the Jets to injure Bledsoe? So I assume all Peek has to do is pull a Tanya Harding on either Babin or Wong in order to earn playing time? If we get by all that let's think about what Brady was best at in that 2001 campaign. Could it be that he didn't make many mistakes as a young inexperienced QB, and didn't give the game away to the other team by turning the ball over? Now, lets move on to what Peek has been criticized most for. Could it be that he sometimes loses contain, and doesn't stick to his assignment allowing the other team to exploit him from time to time? Wow, Brady and Peek are remarkably similar. I'm not bashing Peek, but he's slowly and surely progressed from his rookie season. He has great intensity, and he's slowly but steadily improved over the course of the season on his ability to stick to his assignment and keep contain. He still has a ways to go in the offseason if he wants to garner a starting spot next season, but I have faith he'll continue to improve. Brady, however, had time to sit and watch his rookie season, and when he was forced into action Brady played so well in the PT he had that he never relinquished the starting QB job. When Peek plays as well as an OLB, as Brady plays as a QB then he too will become a starter for years to come.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #37
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Brady was more than a backup. I think he was a 3rd stringer at one point, but the #2 QB on the depthchart behind Bledsoe suffered a severe injury in Training Camp or the preseason and that shifted Brady to #2. I'm not sure how Brady taking the place of an injured Bledsoe has anything to do with Peek earning playing time. Did Brady earn his playing time by paying the Jets to injure Bledsoe? So I assume all Peek has to do is pull a Tanya Harding on either Babin or Wong in order to earn playing time? If we get by all that let's think about what Brady was best at in that 2001 campaign. Could it be that he didn't make many mistakes as a young inexperienced QB, and didn't give the game away to the other team by turning the ball over? Now, lets move on to what Peek has been criticized most for. Could it be that he sometimes loses contain, and doesn't stick to his assignment allowing the other team to exploit him from time to time? Wow, Brady and Peek are remarkably similar. I'm not bashing Peek, but he's slowly and surely progressed from his rookie season. He has great intensity, and he's slowly but steadily improved over the course of the season on his ability to stick to his assignment and keep contain. He still has a ways to go in the offseason if he wants to garner a starting spot next season, but I have faith he'll continue to improve. Brady, however, had time to sit and watch his rookie season, and when he was forced into action Brady played so well in the PT he had that he never relinquished the starting QB job. When Peek plays as well as an OLB, as Brady plays as a QB then he too will become a starter for years to come.

because vinny said peek hasnt shown much in practice to deserve much playing time, well obviously brady didnt show much to deserve it at first either, but once he was in the game it was a different story, same as peek. I would say some athletes may not show as much in practice as they do in the games !
Old 02-03-2005   #38
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
because vinny said peek hasnt shown much in practice to deserve much playing time, well obviously brady didnt show much to deserve it at first either, but once he was in the game it was a different story, same as peek. I would say some athletes may not show as much in practice as they do in the games !
That's just my point. Peek didn't show the knowledge for the game and for his assignments in the game when he did get playing time. Brady excelled when given the chance to play. Peek is a talented player, and he brings alot of energy, but his progression as a LB does not mirror Tom Brady's progression as a QB. Besides Brady had to show something in practice for him to make the squad as a 3rd string QB as a rookie. Otherwise he would have likely ended up on the practice squad or released like most other 6th Round QBs.
Old 02-03-2005   #39
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Guess I could go look it up, but I'll ask here instead ...
Who in the heck is backup QB for Tom Brady? .. I'm drawing a blank!
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #40
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
Guess I could go look it up, but I'll ask here instead ...
Who in the heck is backup QB for Tom Brady? .. I'm drawing a blank!
I believe Rohan Davey is Brady's backup. I think their 3rd string QB is Jim Miller the former Chicago Bears QB, but I'm not sure about that. I know he suffered a pretty severe injury to his arm awhile back, and I'm not sure he's still with the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read