Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-13-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Football Outsiders Picks Matt Schaub as rising star

From ESPN Insider:

Quote:
Want to know a big secret about Santonio Holmes? You don't need to wait for him to become a star. He already is one.
There are players like Holmes all across the league -- guys whose hype hasn't caught up to their excellent level of play. (Of course, being Super Bowl MVP has a way of helping that hype catch up.) We've picked 10 guys whose bandwagons deserve to be buckling, starting in Texas, where only Houston knows the score -- so far.
1. Matt Schaub, QB, Texans

Talk of Schaub losing his job this offseason was impossibly asinine and dictated by a total misunderstanding of schedule effects.

More to read
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...ory?id=4302332
Old 07-13-2009   #2
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Outsiders Picks Matt Schaub as rising star

Quote:
Talk of Schaub losing his job this offseason was impossibly asinine and dictated by a total misunderstanding of schedule effects.
Who was talking about Schaub losing his job this offseason?
Old 07-13-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, I can only assume he was referring to the articles speculating the Texans had some interest in acquiring Cutler or Cassell in a trade
Old 07-13-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Who was talking about Schaub losing his job this offseason?
I don't see how anybody could say that after this past season. I reckon there was plenty after the 07 season.

Every time I read an article concerning Schaub I expect some sort of asterisk with a note on the bottom saying "if he can remain healthy for the season". I think he can be a really good QB, but until he can stay on the field for the entire season these type of articles mean little to me.

No offense to the OP.
Old 07-13-2009   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all about his health. If he stays healthy, he probably makes the pro-bowl.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't see how anybody could say that after this past season. I reckon there was plenty after the 07 season.

Every time I read an article concerning Schaub I expect some sort of asterisk with a note on the bottom saying "if he can remain healthy for the season". I think he can be a really good QB, but until he can stay on the field for the entire season these type of articles mean little to me.

No offense to the OP.
Im just the messenger with ESPN Insider.

I'll start adding Dislaimer:
The views posted in the original post do not necessarily reflect those of the poster or his ISP.

Last edited by gtexan02; 07-13-2009 at 12:28 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #7
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I question Schaub's accuracy. It was pointed out by another poster when we were watching a game (V-man) that Schaub has a problem leading the receivers , he either throws right at them or behind them. The receivers rarely catch it instride. I think that this is true from what I noticed last year.
This I think caused a large majority of Schaub's interceptions and incompletions. The receivers had to reach behind them or be alert for a ball in their face, if they didnt it led to tip balls or passes behind the Wrs that landed in the arms of opposing team's safties. If he or any Texan QB can figure out how to lead the receivers we can have some big time plays...instead of the catch and tackled passing plays we are used to.
(The one exception is OD who always seems to catch it instride and make plays)
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2009   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

We were near the top of the league in big plays and Schaub was near the top of the league in down field completion %. I can understand a better placement comment (not turned into inaccuracy) but I don't get trying to call Schaub inaccurate. Folks, a QB is hucking a ball 30 yards to a moving target on a hope and a prayer. If for instance the WR misjudges the ball as overthrown and accelerates and then realizes it was spot on, the ball can appear overthrown. Not saying that happened on any one play - just an illustration. Bottom line, Schaub and the Texans connected at a very high rate on down field passes.
Old 07-13-2009   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We were near the top of the league in big plays and Schaub was near the top of the league in down field completion %. I can understand a better placement comment (not turned into inaccuracy) but I don't get trying to call Schaub inaccurate. Folks, a QB is hucking a ball 30 yards to a moving target on a hope and a prayer. If for instance the WR misjudges the ball as overthrown and accelerates and then realizes it was spot on, the ball can appear overthrown. Not saying that happened on any one play - just an illustration. Bottom line, Schaub and the Texans connected at a very high rate on down field passes.
I mostly agree with this. My only knock on Schaub, and it's nitpicking, is that he doesn't have the best arm strength. He certainly doesn't have the arm strength to adjust to the fastest WR in football.

Again, nitpicking, and not really important as long as he keeps connecting, however he does it.
Old 07-13-2009   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I question Schaub's accuracy. It was pointed out by another poster when we were watching a game (V-man) that Schaub has a problem leading the receivers , he either throws right at them or behind them. The receivers rarely catch it instride. I think that this is true from what I noticed last year.
This I think caused a large majority of Schaub's interceptions and incompletions. The receivers had to reach behind them or be alert for a ball in their face, if they didnt it led to tip balls or passes behind the Wrs that landed in the arms of opposing team's safties. If he or any Texan QB can figure out how to lead the receivers we can have some big time plays...instead of the catch and tackled passing plays we are used to.
I wouldn't call him inaccurate. Lack of arm strength maybe but he's far from inaccurate. Infantrycak and eriadoc have it exactly right. Being the best WR in the NFL means that the QB needs to keep up with the WR more than the WR having to keep up with the QB.

If that made any sense at all... that could mean he may need to develop his timing a little better but he's far from inaccurate.

My beef with Schaub is that he should be relagated to the bench for one play after getting slammed. I think I notice most of his errors come after being smacked to the ground HARD. Is that a knock on Schaub being injury prone? I don't know. He's been hit HARD then again so has Brett Favre and he may be coming back for season #19.
Old 07-13-2009   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I mostly agree with this. My only knock on Schaub, and it's nitpicking, is that he doesn't have the best arm strength. He certainly doesn't have the arm strength to adjust to the fastest WR in football.

Again, nitpicking, and not really important as long as he keeps connecting, however he does it.
I understand where this comment comes from but I am not sure it is true. Let me illustrate. Schaub has thrown balls 45 yards to a WR - one was a highlight moment in Atlanta that got him national attention and ultimately to Houston. Then he underthrows a 30 yard pass and folks say weak arm. Now maybe it is, and maybe it is a consistent judgment issue. When in doubt, Carr would overthrow the ball. Schaub obviously can throw the ball 31 yards instead of 30 yards as he has thrown it even longer in the past. To me that means the computer in his head is misjudging not a failure of his arm. Like you say, nitpicking and the difference is really irrelevant as the result is the same whatever the cause.
Old 07-13-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there anything more to the "insider" story that us "outsiders" aren't allowed to read? Anybody able to copy paste it?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009   #13
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I agree with your assessment. I noticed it, too that Schaub consistently underthew his receivers and they either had to come back to the ball or hold up for it. He rarely hit them in stride.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #14
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
It's all about his health. If he stays healthy, he probably makes the pro-bowl.
whats the chances he gets hurt at the pro bowl
HouSportsWriter is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read