Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2009   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default National pundits put an end to debate over the best WR in the NFL

And the consensus winner is..ANDRE JOHNSON!!!

Big surprise, right? Hopefully, this can put an end to this silly debate.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/WR

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Sapp had AJ as his #2 behind Moss
Old 07-09-2009   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: National pundits put an end to debate over the best WR in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
And the consensus winner is..ANDRE JOHNSON!!!

Big surprise, right? Hopefully, this can put an end to this silly debate.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/positional-rankings/OFF/WR

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Sapp had AJ as his #2 behind Moss
Yeah, I saw that yesterday on Total Access.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think clearly Andre and Fitz are above the field.....the case for Andre being #1: Fitz had only 1 game of 10+ receptions...Andre had 7

heres my rankings:

1. Andre
2. Fitz

(spaces to indicate how much better those two are)

3. Calvin Johnson
4. Randy Moss
5. Steve Smith
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think clearly Andre and Fitz are above the field.....the case for Andre being #1: Fitz had only 1 game of 10+ receptions...Andre had 7

heres my rankings:

1. Andre
2. Fitz

3. Calvin Johnson
4. Randy Moss
5. Steve Smith
I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb and say Calvin Johnson is probably closer to being an elite WR. He's only had two years under his belt, and he's stuck in Detroit, similar to Andre was back in '03-05.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 143421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb and say Calvin Johnson is probably closer to being an elite WR. He's only had two years under his belt, and he's stuck in Detroit, similar to Andre was back in '03-05.
I agree. If, and when, he has a QB and a few other puzzle pieces surrounding him, the dude's going to be an absolute beast.
Old 07-09-2009   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's only had two years under his belt, and he's stuck in Detroit, similar to Andre was back in '03-05.
I'll go halves on this one. In 2007 Kitna had just under 4100 yards of passing. AJ was never on the receiving end of that kind of blitz with Carr under center. But CJ does look like a beast.
Old 07-09-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well #3 isn't too bad either considering who I put him ahead of, I haven't seen anybody putting him that high. He is a beast and will be the best receiver in the NFL some day.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2009   #8
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

All of the haters on there crack me up. They would take AJ on their team any day. They are just pissed their guy was not number one, I guess just like we would be of AJ wasn't there. He is though, and its the absolute truth.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though Sapp ranked Moss ahead of ahead, he said AJ is the next coming of Jerry Rice.

Sapp's got a lot of nice things to say about our team.
nero THE zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

WR discussions bring out the worst in people. Fans get very protective of pass catchers on their teams.

I will say that having 8 TD's as your season high is something critics will ALWAYS point out.
Old 07-09-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
WR discussions bring out the worst in people. Fans get very protective of pass catchers on their teams.

I will say that having 8 TD's as your season high is something critics will ALWAYS point out.
Heard the TD argument many times before with AJ. I'll put it this way---TDs are nothing more than 1st downs that count for 6 points...and AJ led the league with 79 first downs--thats 12 (twelve!) more than #2 on the list Tony Gonzalez a freaking tight end who doesn't run as many down field routes as AJ. No one does more dirty work between the 20s than AJ. You can think of it as a knock against him (not catching TDs) but in a way its arbitrary
Old 07-09-2009   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Sapp does not seem to make uneducated remarks he gives our Texans love and knows about the game I like him.
Old 07-09-2009   #13
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think Steve smith is a hell of a WR. I would put him up at the top. he has alot of YAC and is very hard to bring down.
Old 07-11-2009   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I was in the book store today and AJ was on the cover of Athlon's magazine (I forget the name).
Old 07-11-2009   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I was in the book store today and AJ was on the cover of Athlon's magazine (I forget the name).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nice!
The more exposure, the better for the team.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I really dislike the comments section sometimes. There should be an educational requirement before one is allowed to post a comment. Bleh.

*sigh*

That being said, it was interesting reading what other people had to say about the rankings. Some brought a good argument against Johnson being #1 in the NFL link given in the first post of this thread. I really do enjoy that part of the comments section as long as it carries merit.
Old 07-12-2009   #18
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post

heres my rankings:

1. Andre
2. Fitz

3. Calvin Johnson
4. Randy Moss
5. Steve Smith
I think on any given weekend any of the first 5 listed could be #1. I give my vote to dre' because he is the most physical of the bunch.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and the nicest!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #20
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Even though Sapp ranked Moss ahead of ahead, he said AJ is the next coming of Jerry Rice.

Sapp's got a lot of nice things to say about our team.
If you rank receivers currently playing and include their entire careers, then I think Moss is ahead of Johnson, but Moss is downhill at the moment while Johnson is at the top of his game. I can see how Sapp would would rank Moss over Johnson in this way since Sapp maybe remembers Moss' career in a different way as a player during those years. My one counter of the top of my head and not knowing a lot about it is that I think Johnson would have played better made a bigger difference during those Oakland years if he was in that situation. Why? Because he did it in Houston. I didn't like how Moss' seemed to take off during that time. I admit that I don't know, but it's my impression. I can see how a competitor might even lose motivation in such a situation. I'm just a lot more impressed with a guy like Johnson who has no quit in him.

Oh, and Steve Smith is one of my favorites on that list after AJ. It's his toughness and heart that I like versus the amazing physical gifts of Calvin Johnson and the "artistic" ability of Larry Fitzgerald. I'm just not into Randy Moss. He reminds me of Terrell Owens without the passion (meaning he's more into the "I am a business" mindset to me). It may be unfair and ignorant, but it's my impression.

Last edited by J. Sean Wonton; 07-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.
J. Sean Wonton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read