Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who it is?
Brian Cushing 38 34.23%
Connor Barwin 37 33.33%
Antoine Caldwell 13 11.71%
Glover Quin 7 6.31%
Anthony Hill 1 0.90%
James Casey 11 9.91%
Brice McCain 0 0%
Troy Nolan 1 0.90%
Arian Foster (UDFA) 3 2.70%
Jeremiah Johnson (UDFA) 0 0%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2009   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pick You're Most Excited About

Cushing for me. The dude should be a beast, and along with DeMeco, we should see some great LB play this season.
Old 07-08-2009   #42
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anthony Hill is the guy I want to see. They think they have a blocking TE but the guy can catch too and is a load once he gets going. I think we will be throwing to a bunch of big guys this year. OD, Dreessen, Hill and Casey will give the #3 offense in 2008 more firepower for sure.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #43
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Sorry, I didn't know that!

I have gone back and review 5 of the 9 Bamas games I had reviewed before.
If Caldwell played like that, it will be a nightmare to see him on the field for the Texans at this stage!!!

Adrian Jones would be my bet to go in at G.
Yes but Chester mentioned in his recent interview with Brooke Bentley that the staff is talking about suiting only 7 lineman on sundays...that leaves Butler and Caldwell, who can't be snuck onto the practice squad if thats what your thinking.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #44
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Connor Barwin is a scary, scary monster.

In a good way.
Old 07-08-2009   #45
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Barwin. I don't know if I'm as excited as much as I just want to see what this guy can do.
Old 07-08-2009   #46
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I wanted William Moore.

Yes quality free safety play > pass rush. Witness Lee Evans game against us, and every damned time cc brown ever took the field. What it boils down to is that we've spent pick after pick after pick on the d-line, and continuously avoid the gaping hole at free safety. Am I excited about the next babin/peek/johnson/okoye/ etc. magical savior of our line thats finally actually going to sack people?

No.

Would I be excited if we finally tried to stop getting torched deep repeatedly through the air after a year where we gave up damn near 30 points a game? Yes. 6th and 7th round picks don't cut it. Especially when we waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who by all admissions won't even by a 3 down defensive player, and won't even start on our defense.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post

Yes quality free safety play > pass rush. Witness Lee Evans game against us, and every damned time cc brown ever took the field. What it boils down to is that we've spent pick after pick after pick on the d-line, and continuously avoid the gaping hole at free safety. Am I excited about the next babin/peek/johnson/okoye/ etc. magical savior of our line thats finally actually going to sack people?

No.

Would I be excited if we finally tried to stop getting torched deep repeatedly through the air after a year where we gave up damn near 30 points a game? Yes. 6th and 7th round picks don't cut it. Especially when we waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who by all admissions won't even by a 3 down defensive player, and won't even start on our defense.
I cant bebelieve you have a man crush on Moore.

You do realize that Barwin did better in the strength and explosion drills. In addition to having a better 40 time and split times than Moore.

Despite Barwin weighing at least 25lbs more than Moore.

I think Barwin has more potential than Moore.

I rated getting MW as more of a need, although FS is a need too. The point is a FS like Reed wasn't available in the 2nd rd. There was less bust potential in taking a DE (Barwin) over any FS at that point in the draft.

Stop comparing Barwin to Babin. Babin played in a small college confrence. Barwin led a BCS confrence in sacks despite it being his 1st year playing the position.

Babin has never run a 4.47 40 in his life. Barwin needs to get stronger and he has a great work ethic. So I expect him to improve his strength next off-season and be a full time starter some time in year two.

Babin didn't have Barwin's work ethic.

I believe Barwin is a good pass rusher, whose only starting to tap into his potential and has the ability to be a Jared Allen type DE in a couple of years.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2009   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No.

Lee Evans is a burner, William Moore does not catch him with 4.58 speed. Also these deep balls take time to develop which will be few & far between Barwin chasing, Smith crashing, Okoye penetrating & Mario smashing QB's (1001, 1002, ;#%!)

It's frustrating & I understand your point, eventually the Texans will commit a 1st rd. pick to a safety but for now it seems kinda like RB by committee. The reason is its year 4 & the Texans are still focused on building blocks. I reckon when the Texans do pull the trigger on a FS/SS its going to be someone really special. For now the focus is all going to be on DL pressure. So to those who answeard Barwin thats perfectly understandable too. Just don't sleep on this group in the secondary because where they were selected.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Count me in the camp with BL and the S position.

By the way there are 3 or 4 Safties in next years draft that are better prospects than any S in this years draft. IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #50
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year is a good year for safeties. Mays, Stuckey, Berry, Jones, Allen and Chancellor all have first round potential.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #51
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not truly "excited" about any of them. But these things have me very curious:

1) Will Caldwell step up and take the starting center job from Myers.

2) Can A. Foster (or J. Johnson) make Chris Brown expendable.

3) Is G.Q. the real deal or just a practice all-star?

I've stopped getting "excited" about 1st day picks. I'll just wait and see. For every Adrian Peterson that performs as hoped there's a Jamarcus Russell or Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart that never quite lives up to all the hype. Cushing and Barwin will have to earn my respect. They'd have to really stink not to be given more than a "fair shot"; they're supposed to make the squad. Second-day guys come into camp knowing they're on the bubble. When a 2nd-day guy can bump a vet or a higher pick out of a job - he gets my respect. That's why they hold more interest for me.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 07-09-2009 at 07:36 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #52
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Pick You're Most Excited About

I went with Antoine Caldwell. Last year Tennessee's DL was in Schaub's face the whole game. I was happy for the win, but I was mad about our line being pushed around. I want to control the LOS & time of possession... success on short yardage, too. That's why I yelled when he was picked
Old 07-08-2009   #53
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing is an exciting pick, but Caldwell is an awesome pick. If all goes well for him, he should anchor the middle of the OL for years to come. And he is a long snapper as well. Great value selection by Smithiak.

Antoine Caldwell.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes quality free safety play > pass rush.
Very few coaches would agree with you based on the draft picks and money spent on the two positions.

Quote:
Yes. 6th and 7th round picks don't cut it. Especially when we waste a 2nd rounder on a guy who by all admissions won't even by a 3 down defensive player, and won't even start on our defense.
We have a 2nd round pick with a SB ring starting at FS. Once Wilson came in the position was substantially upgraded.
Old 07-08-2009   #55
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I'm excited about Casey the most. I think he could be just as effective as OD if used.

With Cushing I just don't know if he can cover Dallas Clark. If he can't then that ain't going to help us beat the Colts and win the division.
Old 07-08-2009   #56
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
Connor Barwin is a scary, scary monster.

In a good way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm excited about Casey the most. I think he could be just as effective as OD if used.
These are the two I'm excited about the most. Barwin simply for his potential. I think he could be a very effective pass rush specialist, and maybe develop into an every down DE. Casey seems like he fits the system really well, and I think he'll be an impact player if given the opportunity. Plus he's really a great value pick.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #57
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4282 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Brian Cushing for obvious reasons, as he should be the rookie that makes the biggest impact.

I am also excited for James Casey. I want to see 2 Tight End sets with Daniels, and Casey!
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #58
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Cushing, with Glover a close 2nd.
Old 07-09-2009   #59
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes quality free safety play > pass rush.
Dude....

DUDE....

come on. A mini LB like Moore isn't going to help deep passes anyway. William Moore's talent barely got him into the 2nd round in a pretty awful safety class. I want you to make a list of the guys out of the 2nd round you think are going to be regular starters, playing lets say 80% or more of the snaps this year. Ready go.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #60
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 125605 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No.
Signed,

Clueless about the game of Football

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read